Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like the future one where President Lisa uses Bart's mooching skills for politics successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
whats up with Bart and Lisa's(and Maggie's) hair? are there other characters with the same flesh hair?( grandpa abe kinda counts)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PhazonLink posted:

whats up with Bart and Lisa's(and Maggie's) hair? are there other characters with the same flesh hair?( grandpa abe kinda counts)

Wendell.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

It's not uncommon for background characters in season 1. I think at some point they decided that hair shaped heads in lieu of actual hair was a Simpson only thing, with series stalwart Wendell grandfathered in.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

The Moon Monster posted:

It's not uncommon for background characters in season 1. I think at some point they decided that hair shaped heads in lieu of actual hair was a Simpson only thing, with series stalwart Wendell grandfathered in.

i tapped out of the show for good after the pie man episode, and i'm afraid to ask if there was ever an episode centered around wendell

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

To say nothing of Marge's hammerspace hair. That was the source of some great early gags like hiding her giant money jar in it.

Eventually cartoon stuff like that kind of stopped happening

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Little known fact about what's under Marge's hair, Matt Groening originally inteded for there to be several long feeding appendages, specialized for picking out termites under there

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He also originally intended for there to be rabbit ears under there, in reference to his comic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mantis42 posted:

He also originally intended for there to be rabbit ears under there, in reference to his comic

You can see those in Marge's electrocution sprite in the arcade game.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I was trying to do something silly and look at what you've done. everyone knows about the bunny ears. :eng99:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When marge kicks that orc's helmet, she screams because she really stabbed a nazi in WWII

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I was trying to do something silly and look at what you've done. everyone knows about the bunny ears. :eng99:

this forum's comedy days are long over, i'm afraid

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Junk posted:

this forum's comedy days are long over, i'm afraid

Oh god we are the Simpsons of online comedy forums. :(

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Tone it down a bit there. The Simpsons had a golden age that didn't involve harassing grieving mothers that had just lost their children.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i saw part of the 2018 episode where bart ends up in a coma after being struck by lightning

it started with bart getting lisa to play a jump scare maze

really keeping up with current trends there

drowningidiot
Sep 27, 2014
Just remembering this now and goddamn everything about it is so amazing

RIP Pee-wee

https://youtu.be/huOGOHZ4da8?si=-Uuk2UyyYd2XQ_cr

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Barney in season 1 has flesh coloured hair.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/Snack_Memories/status/1690882426434641920

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

That's-a spicy tomate!!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Bart is such a little stinker (rude)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Momomo posted:

I haven't watched them but there are at least two modern Simpsons episodes that rely on the premise of Bart impregnating someone. I'm pretty sure the writers have no idea how old Bart is.

He's 45

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they let the dark simpsons guy write for the show now

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Tone it down a bit there. The Simpsons had a golden age that didn't involve harassing grieving mothers that had just lost their children.

I'm very often glad that I'm not up to speed on SA lore.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

True, also Homer's style of facial hair is exclusive to Homer. There was a pretty interesting vid about how they established their internal rules for character designs past the first season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iqdp77y_3c

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 28, 2023

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

je1 healthcare posted:

True, also Homer's style of facial hair is exclusive to Homer.

And Abe. And Krusty?

In early seasons they used Homer stubble to make a character look dishevelled but later used dotted stubble

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Redshirt Ralph gonna die first

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
Those characters were also designed during the 1st season, although they did have a subplot planned where Krusty and Homer were the same person, an idea which got canned along with Marge's rabbit ears when it became clear they wouldn't be cancelled.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

je1 healthcare posted:

They did have a subplot planned where Krusty and Homer were the same person, an idea which got canned along with Marge's rabbit ears when it became clear they wouldn't be cancelled.

If by "not cancelled" you mean, the moment matt groening articulated it to a single other person, then yeah.

iirc that's when Sam Simon banned him from the writers room. It was *pretty* early on

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I loving love twister face

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You just inspired me to create the following example of blursed imagery:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I legitimately miss twister face.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't forget the bigger pupils in season 5. It's kind of funny how the commentaries reveal that groening hates all the fun stuff that gave the show charm. Maybe the real problem is that it all just melted away into lucas-level yesmen blinded by the merch money

vvv: I might be misremembering when it happened but the point stands

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 28, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I thought it was season 4 with the giant pupils

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Sentient Data posted:

It's kind of funny how the commentaries reveal that groening hates all the fun stuff that gave the show charm.

Matt groening is Krusty the klown. Hilariously out-of-touch trend-chaser who only cares about money, and is a beloved figure despite being a weird rich creep with no real comedic sensibilities. He has control over and his name is synonymous with a very popular show (itchy and scratchy) so people put up with him and drive dump trucks of money up to his house for merchandise deals. He'll slap his IP on just about anything for the right price. He is immensely successful despite his lack of effort.

Sentient Data posted:

Maybe the real problem is that it all just melted away into lucas-level yesmen blinded by the merch money

The current crop of writers grew up watching family guy and South park. They don't know what the Simpsons was all about (a deconstruction of the American family sitcom) because they've probably never seen them except as an academic exercise.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Wonder what would Life in Hell-Groening think about post Disenchantment-Groening.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Was Groening really banned from the writer’s room? I never heard about that.

But it’s not surprising, in any commentary he is in he constantly proves that his humor sucks and he doesn’t understand what made the show work. Hate that he gets all the fame.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

this better not be a reference to vilerat's mom

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

oh yeah, i always wondered

is this a reference to anything in particular? i watched the episode with the commentary but all they do is chuckle at this part

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Mr Interweb posted:

this better not be a reference to vilerat's mom

I’ll bet it’s from this:

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/were-all-gonna/

quote:

Look lady, the Internet is my domain and the dead baby graveyard is your domain. I feel very sorry for you when you're mourning your kids in the dead baby graveyard, but when you dig them up and stick them on the Internet I don't have any qualms about making fun of you or anyone else for doing it.

[…]

Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded.
- Zack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
And old people wonder why I have no sense of nostalgia (except when it comes to The Simpsons).