Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
CG...ay ay ay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Wait, Igor Sushko, the FSB fanfic writer? C'mon, son.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

the tank does look a little sus in motion

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

god please help me posted:

Wait, Igor Sushko, the FSB fanfic writer? C'mon, son.

haha yeah at first I was like "I guess we won't be sure" but now I think it's the museum clip after all.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Could you imagine how funny it would be if Prigozhin really did die completely accidentally and nobody on god's green earth believes the Russian government even when they are telling the truth.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The tyrant that yelled blyat.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Bondematt posted:

Prig getting cold feet while barreling down on Moscow is still the most unrealistic part of this novel.

It just makes no sense, who would do that? When success is almost in your hands you make a deal and just trust them?

It gets even worse as they just kill him at the end of the next chapter, like wouldn't he at least be afraid for his life traveling in Russia? I know they haven't actually said it was Putin who ordered it, but come on, who else would it be.

2/5 plot and whoever is ghostwriting this for Clancy should move on.

I think the question was whether success was almost in his hands. It ain't like you arrive in Moscow and Bang, Boom, you're king of Russia now. It'd be embarrassing and humiliating for Putin, but as long as most of the government apparatus either backed Putin or didn't answer their phones, this was not gonna work.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Bondematt posted:

Prig getting cold feet while barreling down on Moscow is still the most unrealistic part of this novel.

It just makes no sense, who would do that? When success is almost in your hands you make a deal and just trust them?

It gets even worse as they just kill him at the end of the next chapter, like wouldn't he at least be afraid for his life traveling in Russia? I know they haven't actually said it was Putin who ordered it, but come on, who else would it be.

I dont think success was ever within his reach tbh. When couping you always want to be in a position to hold in control the person you are couping. He was never going to get to Putin and he clearly WAS aiming at Shoigu and Garasimov but that obviously went tits up. And i dont find anything hard to believe because we just watched Game of Thrones season 1 play out in real life. You either win or you die. He was just the loser of this exchange.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I think he quit when it became obvious that some kind of win would take much more than he had, and staying the course would wreak absolute havoc the longer he tried. Between a certain, quick loss and a miles-long shot at a pyrrhic victory, I'm not surprised he backed down

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Tai posted:

NAFO never trivialized war. It's sole and only purpose was making people push back at Russian disinformation that was wide spread at the start of this war. It got banned because it triggered a group of people.

Ah but you see it has been given the clear, objective definition "cringe" by said group and is therefore unsafe to have anywhere near the forums.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Bondematt posted:

two cowards playing chicken and they both swerved

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Pekinduck posted:

Ah but you see it has been given the clear, objective definition "cringe" by said group and is therefore unsafe to have anywhere near the forums.

Look, just like the frontpage, it has its place. Hidden and nowhere near prominence.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Bondematt posted:

Success wasn't almost in his hands. His successes depended on defections from the military, or else nabbing Putin. Putin fled Moscow, and almost no-one defected. His rowdy caravan could have reached Moscow, but then what? It doesn't instantly win him the coup. The he's just sitting in Moscow holding his dick while Putin arranges for enough forces to eliminate him. While rounding up all of his family and loved ones, making snuff films of them and sending them to him.

He negotiated because he lost. He knew he wasn't winning anymore, victory depended on defections that he didn't get, and then his army supporters started filming public appeals to stop, with a video background that suspiciously looked like a FSB prison. At that point he still had some leverage to negotiate because he had the ability to destroy things for Putin, and he traded that for some assurances, which somehow lasted two months.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Also he couldn't have taken Moscow - a city of 12 million - with 10.000 Wagners. It was defended by some national guard units and a lot of Rosgvardia which you have to deal with in urban combat but he had no supply line and every hour more reinforcements arrived for the defense. Without the army defecting it was very much impossible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Owling Howl posted:

Also he couldn't have taken Moscow - a city of 12 million - with 10.000 Wagners. It was defended by some national guard units and a lot of Rosgvardia which you have to deal with in urban combat but he had no supply line and every hour more reinforcements arrived for the defense. Without the army defecting it was very much impossible.

You downplay this a lil too much. I mean Wagner was shooting down air assault command planes and helis.

That's not part of what you said but, how long do you think the citizenry would have supported the army of Wagner was shelling Moscow? Do you really think all 12,000,000 of those citizens would be 100% loyal to Putin? I mean they were basically allowed to walk into the southern military HQ and then walk to Moscow unopposed.

This is like the cope the Russians give of "Russia is leading Ukraine into a trap!!!!" As they walked through Kharkiv.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Blistex posted:

picturing some Russian soldiers being sent to a long abandoned storage facility with a metal detector to try and find ammo for them.

It's like Fallout. You just need to find the good loot boxes.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia is still sending loving vehicle convoys to robotyne.

The second army in the world is losing units by committing to seemingly random assaults and not cooperating with each other. So they get ravaged by ATGMs. This is the problem with their war effort. They don't learn poo poo because nobody has left who knows anything. All the vets are dead or crippled.

The video I watched is pretty bad in terms of bodies and poo poo so I'm not gonna share it.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Owling Howl posted:

There were small units of Rosgvardia on their route that elected not to fight, they just let them through. That might have also happened in Moscow. But yes, that's an optimistic case for them, but my point is, even still, then what? Even if all the defenders of Moscow feel like they left the stove on and go home, this doesn't win them the coup.

Successful coups generally don't involve anything resembling a civil war. The best way is to replace the old leadership so quickly that most of the army and other levers of power go to sleep one day and wake up on the next under new management, to the sound of assurances that their position and privileges will be respected. The second-best is to be so liked by the troops that you can do Napoleon's march on Paris from Elba, where any forces you meet join up with you. If you actually have to line up your forces against the ones of the state, it's no longer a coup, it's a civil war, and the ones with a state behind them is probably going to win.

Zeromus
Dec 11, 2004

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russia is still sending loving vehicle convoys to robotyne.

The second army in the world is losing units by committing to seemingly random assaults and not cooperating with each other. So they get ravaged by ATGMs. This is the problem with their war effort. They don't learn poo poo because nobody has left who knows anything. All the vets are dead or crippled.

The video I watched is pretty bad in terms of bodies and poo poo so I'm not gonna share it.

now you have to post it, or message it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zeromus posted:

It's a video of tanks getting blown up. Do you need it that bad?

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Zeromus posted:

Nope.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
The Assassination of Yevgeniy Prigozhin by The Coward Sergei Shoigu

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

longass english der spiegel article that says Ukraine probably blew nordstream

quote:

Officially, politicians and the Office of the Federal Prosecutor are still holding back with any conclusions. Currently, it is not possible to say "this was state-controlled by Ukraine," Federal Prosecutor Otte says. "As far as that is concerned, the investigation is ongoing, much of it still undercover."

Behind the scenes, though, you get clearer statements. Investigators from the BKA, the Federal Police and the Office of the Federal Prosecutor have few remaining doubts that a Ukrainian commando was responsible for blowing up the pipelines. A striking number of clues point to Ukraine, they say.
[...]
But crucial questions remain unanswered. From how high up was the attack ordered and who knew about it? Was it an intelligence operation that the political leadership in Kyiv learned about only later? Or was it the product of a commando unit acting on its own? Or was it a military operation in which the Ukrainian General Staff was involved? Intelligence experts and security policy experts, however, consider it unlikely that Ukrainian President Zelenskyy was in on it: In cases of sabotage, the political leadership is often deliberately kept in the dark so that they can plausibly deny any knowledge later on.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

But but but Hersh said it was the USA!!!! And America bad!!!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Toxic Mental posted:

But but but Hersh said it was the USA!!!! And America bad!!!!

America did it using their homonazi cyber zombies, launched from the 51st state, The Ukraine

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
twas the Anglo Saxons who blew up the plane

Æthelbald did it so that his reign as baldest would go unchallenged

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Alan Smithee posted:

twas the Anglo Saxons who blew up the plane

Æthelbald did it so that his reign as baldest would go unchallenged
It was Ethelred the Ever-Ready... he used an AA battery...

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

"We have compelling evidence that Ukrainians did it. No, we can't talk about the evidence. And when we can, you can't print it"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

zone posted:

:frogout: and stay out.

Trade him for Girkin :getin:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bondematt posted:

Yeah this plot sucks, I'll believe it when Prigz fly...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

beer_war posted:

"We have compelling evidence that Ukrainians did it. No, we can't talk about the evidence. And when we can, you can't print it"

Newly declassified US intel claims Russia is laundering propaganda through unwitting Westerners.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Shocked. I am totally shocked.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

wow who could have imagined this

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I'm not dismissing the story and Der Spiegel isn't OANN.

But there really isn't a lot of new, concrete information in that article.

And German authorities dismissed warnings about an operation to plant explosives during the BALTOPS exercises? Well, no poo poo, that sounds like the absolute worst time to perform a clandestine operation in the Baltic Sea.

I still have no idea who blew up Nordstream.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

This is the video I based my comment on. The screenshot makes it the trees look weird, like a computer game that uses intersecting textures to create an illusion of filled out canopy. Video is also undated and has a weird uncanny valley vibe to it. As much as I like to lol at Russia and stan for Ukraine I wouldn't take anything away from that video.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

aniviron posted:

Yeah this plot sucks, I'll believe it when Prigz fly...

:golfclap:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

beer_war posted:

And German authorities dismissed warnings about an operation to plant explosives during the BALTOPS exercises? Well, no poo poo, that sounds like the absolute worst time to perform a clandestine operation in the Baltic Sea.

It doesn't help that it was written like a college freshmans attempt to write a thriller fit to sell only as a cheap paperback in lesser airports

Durr Spiegel posted:

The story of the operation is a preposterous thriller packed full of agents and secret service missions, special operations and commando troops, bad guys and conspiracy theorists. A story in which a dilapidated sailboat on the Baltic Sea plays a central role.

I bet you're positively titillated right now. loving titillated to the bone.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 26, 2023

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

beer_war posted:

As a lower income German with gas heating, I'm would still applaud Ukraine if they were behind it.
Our chickenshit government couldn't be trusted not to go back on the Russian sauce at the first sign of trouble.
Now we have a bunch of shiny new liquid gas terminals at several ports (which may or may not come in handy during a future hydrogen switch)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

A truly shocking revelation. :geno: