Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I couldn't postpone my phone updating any longer. It finally just took over and was like gently caress YOU I'M UPDATING WHETHER OR NOT YOU CONSENT!

As usual, like every loving time it updates, everything appears normal, until...

this time it's the autocorrect. Suddenly it's autocorrecting everything I write, most of which is spelled loving correctly but it changes it to something it thinks I mean to say? Why the gently caress does it keep changing "autocorrect" to "Sorocco"?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jemak posted:

OK So I guess "Microsoft Azure Active Directory" is now called...
*checks notes*
Entra ID?
:suicide:

if you don’t like it don’t worry, just wait 6 months and they’ll change it again.

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

skooma512 posted:

if you don’t like it don’t worry, just wait 6 months and they’ll change it again.

And I'll still be answering phonecalls from borderline-retarded adults requiring remedial education about why it's broken.
:matters:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I used to be able to eat whatever I want without getting fat and now I’m fat :smith:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

wash bucket posted:

I will gladly be that weirdo who hoards physical media and insists on using open source software and 10 year old versions of Photoshop.

Unironically this.
I prefer having less functionality if it means I have rock-solid reliability from my tech.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

wash bucket posted:

I will gladly be that weirdo who hoards physical media and insists on using open source software and 10 year old versions of Photoshop.

I am that weirdo and i can confirm that it rules

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

dr_rat posted:

Because microsoft like 99.99% of all tech companies have no god drat idea how to name things.

Just pick a naming system and stick to it drat it!!!! No one cares if it's garbage just let us know which one comes after which one!!!

The number of iterations that are all almost exactly the same but slightly different for no reason (other than I assume some middle manager wanting to take credit for doing something) that Microsoft Configuration Manager/Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manger/SCCM/you get the idea has gone through is insane.

Edit: Just looked a t the current version I have installed, and it is currently listed as "Configuration Manager Console." Check with me in 6 months, it will have changed again by then.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
The volume differential on YouTube between ads and video is like 2:1, goddamn

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

ahh just like tv.

at what point do people who willingly go into advertising get treated for the scumsucking human poo poo that they really are?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Serious_Cyclone posted:

use ublock origin, homes

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

GolfHole posted:

ahh just like tv.

at what point do people who willingly go into advertising get treated for the scumsucking human poo poo that they really are?

Yeah anyone in marketing or advertising should just jump off a cliff into a volcano

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
There's no rationalization for [marketing and advertising] and you are Satan's little helpers

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There isn't a single piece of web content that's worth seeing an ad for

If you see an ad you can't block hit da bricks

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Head Bee Guy posted:

use ublock origin, homes

people just refuse to do this for some reason, even dudes who are supposedly master computer touchers

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ads and the people who make them are filth and poo poo 100% of the time. If I for some reason can't block an ad I will legit leave the room, or at the very least avert my eyes from it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the only time i'm ok with being advertised to is when i intentionally go to slickdeals or something. if i want to see a bunch of deals and sales, sure, throw'em at me. the rest of the time, not at all

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It drives my wife nuts when I turn the tv on mute when an ad comes on. They irritate the hell out of me and using ublock has made me even less tolerant

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

It drives my wife nuts when I turn the tv on mute when an ad comes on. They irritate the hell out of me and using ublock has made me even less tolerant

lol everyone in my family does that and I never knew it was odd until I moved out and got roommates who called me out on it. I was always like, "Oh you wanna hear the Tri-State Kia dealership commercial yet again?"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

wash bucket posted:

lol everyone in my family does that and I never knew it was odd until I moved out and got roommates who called me out on it. I was always like, "Oh you wanna hear the Tri-State Kia dealership commercial yet again?"

I'd tell you to raise the volume more out of spite, but they do that for you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

14 oz of pretzels is now “party size”

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Armacham posted:

Yeah anyone in marketing or advertising should just jump off a cliff into a volcano

Hey, there are degrees here. People operating the camera for a commercial, they're just getting by. People creating a marketing campaign? They're rotten. People developing new ways to shove even more ads down your throat in more deceptive ways? They should be entombed in concrete to avoid contaminating the environment.

Professor Shark posted:

I remember getting a Tivo back when they were new, crazy technology. You hit select-play-select-3-0-select and then the advanced button skipped commercial breaks. It was magic.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 25, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Like, I used to work for the student loan fund administration in norway, and during some talk by some talking head one time he brought up as a neat aside how after Mad Men started airing the number of applications for support for various marketing studies loving skyrocketed, which really tells you all you need to know about the type of person going into marketing.

naem
May 29, 2011

euphronius posted:

14 oz of pretzels is now “party size”

keeping americans fat and happy have been capitalism MO since day one and that fact that isn’t the case anymore is NOT a good sign, I don’t think anyone realizes quite how hosed up things are about to get

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Shrinkflation is the societal equivalent of a business that stops providing free coffee to employees

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

keeping americans fat and happy have been capitalism MO since day one and that fact that isn’t the case anymore is NOT a good sign, I don’t think anyone realizes quite how hosed up things are about to get

14 oz of pretzels is like maybe two

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

naem posted:

Americans aren't going to do poo poo about it lol.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

Americans aren't going to do poo poo about it lol.

not with that attitude. What happened to the Punks? gently caress the man!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I just noticed Lyft serving up ads in their app

And it pops the drawer with the ad back up every single time you swap away and back to the app. Quick google suggests they just added it a week or so ago.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Pajser posted:

people just refuse to do this for some reason, even dudes who are supposedly master computer touchers

Or I’m not watching YT on their webpage

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I like that the ad isn't even for a legitimate service, it's for a scam lmao

Generations of intelligent people put to the task of covering everything with ads in order to trick you into identity theft

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I click on email ads and never buy anything. I like to think lots of clicks and no buys means they'll stop paying as much per ad.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
i think there's some plugins that will intentionally feed wrong data to tracking bots and stuff. poison that well.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Light Gun Man posted:

i think there's some plugins that will intentionally feed wrong data to tracking bots and stuff. poison that well.

Good. :hai:

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

credburn posted:

I couldn't postpone my phone updating any longer. It finally just took over and was like gently caress YOU I'M UPDATING WHETHER OR NOT YOU CONSENT!

As usual, like every loving time it updates, everything appears normal, until...

this time it's the autocorrect. Suddenly it's autocorrecting everything I write, most of which is spelled loving correctly but it changes it to something it thinks I mean to say? Why the gently caress does it keep changing "autocorrect" to "Sorocco"?!

Mine tries to autocorrect Vivian to cocaine or cockhead. I have to be very careful typing medical notes.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Light Gun Man posted:

Gonna need some links or names at least

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Haven't seen if this switched hands but I'm pretty sure it's the original big ad click spoofer https://adnauseam.io/

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
My kid has a phone now and asked for a game to play while on the bus. We put angry birds on there, but it's now a complete mess of ads and ate up 127mb of data the very first bus ride.

Maybe people slow boiled got used to it? But coming back to it from like 2012 or whenever was shocking. I saw someone else said console versions are the only way to play this now, so maybe she needs to take the 3ds instead.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

credburn posted:

turn off Autocorrect. let the world try and decypher your mad, Sybilic ravings. you are now the speaker of a new truth.

embrace chaos, be free

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Tewdrig posted:

My kid has a phone now and asked for a game to play while on the bus. We put angry birds on there, but it's now a complete mess of ads and ate up 127mb of data the very first bus ride.

Maybe people slow boiled got used to it? But coming back to it from like 2012 or whenever was shocking. I saw someone else said console versions are the only way to play this now, so maybe she needs to take the 3ds instead.

I have a kid sibling that was playing a gacha game that would use an entire family plan of data in a handful of days. I would say it's maybe a little out of control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I gave up on finding mobile games that a) are actual games instead of numbers going up and b) let me actually play them and installed a Game Boy emulator instead. Currently working my way through Mole Mania.