Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
that honestly brightened my day ty Three Olives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

knox_harrington posted:

more homeless recommend the Mach-E than any other brand

LMAO

Also honestly I didnt think I would ever actually feel the need to say this but shut up about homeless people and what they think of your car. Even for a thread that goes off on weird rear end derails thats a new 0_0

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

God bless this forum

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Volvo EM90 electric minivan coming, based on the Zeekr 9. Reveal on November 12.

https://electrek.co/2023/08/24/volvo-teases-first-100-electric-minivan-with-scandi-living-room

We need more vehicles with sliding doors!

Was literally looking up hybrid and ev vans yesterday day but didn't feel confident in a "Zeekr"

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

on Saturday I was trying to set up a new display in my guest bathroom (weather, news, itinerary for dinner guests, streamed content, etc) when I heard an ungodly racket from outside the window. Turns out some kids that I didn't recognize were using the condominium playground unsupervised. I did my best to discipline them from my condo and they eventually left.

That made me peckish, so I used my Google Watch to tell my husband to bring me a sandwich from the kitchen. I also told him to wear his Commander Riker pajamas for good measure. While I waited for "Number One," I used the hallway computer to dash off a quick email to the HOA about the hooligans in the playground. We live in a very multicultural community, despite it being Texas, and I would hate for one of the resident children to feel oppressed by these thugs.

Anyway, my husband finally showed up with a sandwich that was much too dry. I playfully upbraided him, and one thing led to another until we were making our way down to our 2023 Mach-E, to roleplay "Turkish Bus" in the backseat.

Unbeknownst to us, a homeless man that I had never seen before was loitering across the parking lot. I heard him say "oh god, not this rear end in a top hat again" and I was afraid that he'd seen us in our impropriety, but I did not recognize him. I quickly got out of the car and pretended to be looking for something in the backseat.

However he just pointed at the Mach E, grinned a hobo grin, and yelled "that's a mighty environmentally friendly jalopy! Hillary Clinton is my abuela!" Then he gave me two thumbs up, before disappearing into his hat, which flew away on a sudden strong breeze.

holy poo poo

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Oh no, car dealerships say no one wants to buy an EV...

Insider posted:

More electric vehicles are being pumped out of car factories than ever before — but some dealers don't want them.

Electric-car inventory has been piling up on dealership lots this year as companies up their EV production, leading some dealers to say enough is enough. Some are telling automakers they don't want any more until they can sell what's sitting, several dealers told Insider.

"We have turned away EV inventory," said Scott Kunes, the chief operating officer of Kunes Auto and RV Group, which sells Detroit brands as well as Nissan and Mitsubishi in the Midwest. "We need to ensure that we have a good turn on it."

Automakers are "asking us to make a large investment," Kunes added, "and we're just wanting to see some return on that investment."

Plug-in-vehicle availability is increasing rapidly, a sign the EV-adoption growth curve is about to hit a serious slowdown. A switch from enthusiastic and wealthy early adopters to more apprehensive and budget-minded car shoppers is throwing the electric-car transition for a loop, forcing car companies to change their outlooks and pull back on ambitious EV production goals.

"It's not just that these vehicles are expensive — which they are. We're talking about a much more nuanced lifestyle change," said Sam Fiorani, the vice president of global vehicle forecasting at AutoForecast Solutions. He pointed to differences in the EV ownership experience, including charging and range anxiety, as stoppers for many buyers.

Car shoppers can find plenty of electric options on dealership lots — while there was about 54 days' supply of vehicle inventory overall at dealerships earlier this summer, EV inventory was nearly double that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dealers-turning-away-evs-velectric-cars-demand-cools-inventory-2023-8

How shocking that dealers can't sell cars that they refuse to sell at MSRP and all the sales people aggressively attempt to talk you out of buying.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Won’t someone think of the dealerships!

Guess you guys should all close down.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

it's almost as though dealerships are middlemen leaches who exist solely to scam people who just want to buy a car

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Dealers got a taste of limited inventory price gouging bonanza and want to prolong the experience. The article doesn't mention whether the same dealers who refuse electric cars, are rushing to fill their lots with gasoline variants.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nitrox posted:

Dealers got a taste of limited inventory price gouging bonanza and want to prolong the experience. The article doesn't mention whether the same dealers who refuse electric cars, are rushing to fill their lots with gasoline variants.

Yup, they want to pretend that every car they’ve got is oh so rare and flying off the lot and they can’t even keep them in stock so you’re going to have to pay an extra few grand for the privilege of buying one.

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum

ROFLBOT posted:

holy poo poo

I'm loving crying at this classic sa buffoonery! Thank you, goons, and especially Three Olives.

Now that I've collected myself,

Elviscat posted:

I don't know if my fiance just drives like less of a dick than I do, or VW has really pessimistic range estimates, but her ID has been returning way better efficiency than expected, which I don't think the Bolt did when she was commuting in that.

They really do punch above their estimates. The awd ID.4 I sold was regularly getting 270-285 estimated range instead of the epa 250-ish. 3.7-4 miles/kwh round trip to work, about 40 miles, but only 2 miles of freeway. Freeway is where the noticeable hit would happen compared to our model y long range.

So far I've been able to get epa on the tesla on the same commute only with the best case efficient driving. On the plus side freeway driving takes significantly less of a hit to range. With sentry mode and cabin overheat protection enabled at work I still have to charge 50-80% battery every two days, just like the ID.4.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Its quite impressive how without fail every one of these "No one is buying EVs" articles conveniently forgets that the two biggest EV manufacturers (Tesla and BYD) exist and are selling cars faster than they can pump them out

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Beffer posted:

I checked inventory at my local MG dealer to see if they had an MG4 to test drive. They do. But they’re described as 4 Cylinder.

Well what did you think the 4 stands for?

Coincidentally, the MG5 uses the same 5 cylinder engine my old Volvo V70 uses!

It all makes sense!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

on Saturday I was trying to set up a new display in my guest bathroom (weather, news, itinerary for dinner guests, streamed content, etc) when I heard an ungodly racket from outside the window. Turns out some kids that I didn't recognize were using the condominium playground unsupervised. I did my best to discipline them from my condo and they eventually left.

That made me peckish, so I used my Google Watch to tell my husband to bring me a sandwich from the kitchen. I also told him to wear his Commander Riker pajamas for good measure. While I waited for "Number One," I used the hallway computer to dash off a quick email to the HOA about the hooligans in the playground. We live in a very multicultural community, despite it being Texas, and I would hate for one of the resident children to feel oppressed by these thugs.

Anyway, my husband finally showed up with a sandwich that was much too dry. I playfully upbraided him, and one thing led to another until we were making our way down to our 2023 Mach-E, to roleplay "Turkish Bus" in the backseat.

Unbeknownst to us, a homeless man that I had never seen before was loitering across the parking lot. I heard him say "oh god, not this rear end in a top hat again" and I was afraid that he'd seen us in our impropriety, but I did not recognize him. I quickly got out of the car and pretended to be looking for something in the backseat.

However he just pointed at the Mach E, grinned a hobo grin, and yelled "that's a mighty environmentally friendly jalopy! Hillary Clinton is my abuela!" Then he gave me two thumbs up, before disappearing into his hat, which flew away on a sudden strong breeze.

:perfect:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

pointing at Three Olives' weird-rear end posts and giving a thumbs up

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

Probably like a lot of continental Euros my home and work charging is 11/22kw 3-phase and there's not a lot of need for it to be plugged in. A round trip to work uses about 35% of a battery and I can get that back with 3 hours plugged in at home.

Also summer is for motorcycling so the car has only been used for recreational stuff recently. Do we have fast chargeable bikes yet? I haven't been keeping up.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yep! There's a few goons (including me) here who own them. So far the manufacturers are Energica and Livewire. Zero apparently will have DCFC soon, and Ducati will likely make their MotoE production bike DCFC whenever that comes out.

The Harley LiveWire is cool and good. You should go test ride it. I have one and I like it.

Recent pic:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I took a load of wood and polystyrene to the decheterie in my car which is Very Practical Actually

Steakandchips posted:

The Harley LiveWire is cool and good. You should go test ride it. I have one and I like it.

Lol no I'm not buying a Harley

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Steakandchips posted:

Recent pic:

They sold 69 motorcycles in the 4th quarter of 2022. These are going to be incredibly rare. I don't know what makes a collector vehicle valuable, though.

https://www.motorcycle.com/features/five-takeaways-from-harley-davidsons-q4-2022-results.html

quote:

LiveWire shipped 69 motorcycles in the quarter, down from 186 units in the same quarter of 2021.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't know what makes a collector vehicle valuable, though.

Other collectors wanting one.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Do you think Tesla will ever actually start doing the CCS retrofit service?

Just like everything else Tesla does, they keep pushing back the date on when it's actually going to be available. :sigh:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Livewire are good motorcycles. The new model has fast charging DC capability and is more efficient overall.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I took a load of wood and polystyrene to the decheterie in my car which is Very Practical Actually

Lol no I'm not buying a Harley

Don't worry it's not a Harley, it's a Livewire. They spun off the brand so it doesn't offend your sensibilities anymore.

They actually made one of the best e motos... so of course they immediately distanced themselves from it because idk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Russian Bear posted:

Don't worry it's not a Harley, it's a Livewire. They spun off the brand so it doesn't offend your sensibilities anymore.

They actually made one of the best e motos... so of course they immediately distanced themselves from it because idk.

i think you've greatly mistaken whose offended sensibilities Harley was worried about when they spun off the company, it wasn't the "lol why would you buy a Harley" set.

Plenty of bike companies are doing Western nostalgia with much better value for money and less lovely dealer bullshit, all Harley would have to do to win the haters over is build more good bikes and price them in a non-stupid way

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ok Comboomer posted:

i think you've greatly mistaken whose offended sensibilities Harley was worried about when they spun off the company, it wasn't the "lol why would you buy a Harley" set.

Plenty of bike companies are doing Western nostalgia with much better value for money and less lovely dealer bullshit, all Harley would have to do to win the haters over is build more good bikes and price them in a non-stupid way

And sell them somewhere other than a Harley dealer. I don’t care how compelling your product is, I’m not setting foot in one of those loving places.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

Just like everything else Tesla does, they keep pushing back the date on when it's actually going to be available. :sigh:

been waiting for this "coming soon" supercharger since 2018

I am not holding out hope that my '18 3 will ever get a CCS retrofit.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh boy, ERCOT is planning for rolling blackouts.

My house is now the checkered flag in a race against General Motors and global warming. Can we get an Ultium car backing up our HVAC before we start getting blackouts in New Mexico? Stay tuned to this thread!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Unplug the car during a lightning storm? What does the thread think?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I do, we have had a storm fry a chargepoint EVSE, I figure why risk it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

cruft posted:

I would. gently caress it, better than finding out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Uh no how else are you gonna charge the flux capacitor smart guy? Plutonium?!?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Pretty sure it works like in the avengers where thor blasts iron man and he gets 400% charge

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Infinotize posted:

Pretty sure it works like in the avengers where thor blasts iron man and he gets 400% charge

Yes, 400% charge followed by an explosion

In reality I think charging cables are supposed to have built in surge protection, but surge protectors can fail. No need to risk it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My Kona EV’s charging door got stuck. I banged on it like a hundred times while the car was unlocked. It didn’t work. I googled it and apparently you had to bang on it while the car is locked. That worked. Wild stuff.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

A small storm fried a co-worker’s Leaf onboard charging equipment while it was plugged in. It’d still run but wouldn’t accept a charge afterwards.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vegetable posted:

My Kona EV’s charging door got stuck. I banged on it like a hundred times while the car was unlocked. It didn’t work. I googled it and apparently you had to bang on it while the car is locked. That worked. Wild stuff.

My most reliable experience with the Kona EV charging door has been leaving the car On and then opening the charging door. Any other situation gives mixed results, but I guess if the car is "running" and just parked then it'll always let you open the charging door.

It's stupid that the car has an On button in the first place, and even stupider that the car loudly buzzes at you if you forget to turn it off and try to leave with the keys in your pocket - just turn off dumb dumb!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I'm thinking about getting a Lucid Air. Anybody here have experience with one?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I think you would be the first Lucid Air in the thread.

Which means not only would you have to post a photo of it, you'd also have to star the thread and post bad takes on blended braking with us. It would be a moral imperative!

This also applies even if you're not the first Lucid Air in the thread, by the way.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Lucid Air. Anybody here have experience with one?

I saw one drive past me last week. Rear visibility looked lovely.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Vegetable posted:

Huh, will have to keep that in mind! We charge in the garage, usually plugging in after returning from somewhere. I don't think the car locks usually when we get out and I don't manually lock it, but haven't had too many issues with the charge door not opening. It happened one time on the 2019 Kona but when I called my wife over to help me figure it out, it mysteriously just worked for her so I just shrugged and it didn't happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Three Olives posted:

Oh no, car dealerships say no one wants to buy an EV...

https://www.businessinsider.com/dealers-turning-away-evs-velectric-cars-demand-cools-inventory-2023-8

How shocking that dealers can't sell cars that they refuse to sell at MSRP and all the sales people aggressively attempt to talk you out of buying.

Reminds me of this.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2023/05/rich-republicans-party-car-dealers-2024-desantis.html

Slate posted:

State laws give dealers exclusive rights over warranty service, which manufacturers are forced to pay dealers to provide. (Dealers make even more selling semi-pointless add-ons like “extended warranty” coverage.) Compared with traditional cars, EVs have far fewer component parts; they don’t need constant servicing or oil changes. That means that electric vehicles generate 40 percent less aftermarket revenue. Not to mention, EV technicians are harder to come by and thus more expensive to hire than regular mechanics, which further eats into dealer profit.