Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
70 million figure is funny cause it's also what he "forced" WB to spend to put out The Snyder Cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Little Mermaid sure didn’t put that money on screen

This also very much applies, even more so, to the Secret Invasion Disney+ show, which has very little in the way of effects work and cost $220 million.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Every movie that has had that money thrown at it that I've seen wastes it on terrible CGI slop were you can't tell what's even going on

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Feldegast42 posted:

Every movie that has had that money thrown at it that I've seen wastes it on terrible CGI slop were you can't tell what's even going on

Because of instead properly planning out a scene beforehand the director just forces fx studios to churn out endless variations until they get one they like.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Dune delay is dumb as hell because the first movie was pretty successful and Barbie/Oppenheimer shows that people are excited about movies again. They're really married to the idea that you *gotta* have your stars on all the talk shows to make a movie a hit. And maybe that's true for small indie stuff but not exactly a sequel to a movie that made a cool 400 mil.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1694810849179754888

Nicholas Braun should probably restrain his agent from picking "weird guy from viral story" roles

He will star in a movie about a creep who buys a run down bar to prey on people next

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The dunc delay is so that the more ignorant parts of the general public get mad at the greedy actors and writers because it's obviously their fault Pew Pew Laser movie isn't coming out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dumb

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1695096196669268188

Welp....that certainly says a lot for hopes of this strike ending anytime soon.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
While I don't mind people posting strike news here I do want to remind folks that we have a thread for strike news as well:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031558

I cross-posted that tweet into it because lol really sheds some light on these execs mindset

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RevKrule posted:

The way that is phrased really emphasizes how ridiculous the whole thing is. Everybody asking for fair deals? Everywhere? Oh no!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RevKrule posted:

Couldn't find a better retort than this...
https://twitter.com/cadlymack/status/1695138613254819883?s=20

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

But, like... imagine if they had to do that anywhere else. That would be just terrible!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Earlier on in the strike someone posted what it would actually cost the studios to just give the unions what they want and it was a pretty trivial number. The cruelty is the point. They care more about giving power than giving more money.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I said elsewhere but executives at this point obviously hate that they have to pay people to make movies, the salivating over AI made it pretty obvious. They want the end of movies as creative works and to just be endless interchangeable Content.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The first union in Hollywood was the Motion Pictures Association of Producers, the group that is negotiating against the WGA and SAG. A union of studios.

They want their side to win over labor and have for a century now. People talk about class consciousness but no one is more mindful about it than these useless fucks

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"What about us: the working man?"
-producers and cop unions

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQTFXMQU7I

Gimme an Armored Core movie.

After the writers win the strike.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQTFXMQU7I

Gimme an Armored Core movie.

After the writers win the strike.

It's called Armored C--- in Australia

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FlamingLiberal posted:

Earlier on in the strike someone posted what it would actually cost the studios to just give the unions what they want and it was a pretty trivial number. The cruelty is the point. They care more about giving power than giving more money.

“It is true that profits would be higher under a regime of full employment than they are on the average under laissez-faire; and even the rise in wage rates resulting from the stronger bargaining power of the workers is less likely to reduce profits than to increase prices, and thus adversely affects only the rentier interests. But 'discipline in the factories' and 'political stability' are more appreciated than profits by business leaders. Their class instinct tells them that lasting full employment is unsound from their point of view, and that unemployment is an integral part of the 'normal' capitalist system.”

-Michal Kalecki

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“It is true that profits would be higher under a regime of full employment than they are on the average under laissez-faire; and even the rise in wage rates resulting from the stronger bargaining power of the workers is less likely to reduce profits than to increase prices, and thus adversely affects only the rentier interests. But 'discipline in the factories' and 'political stability' are more appreciated than profits by business leaders. Their class instinct tells them that lasting full employment is unsound from their point of view, and that unemployment is an integral part of the 'normal' capitalist system.”

-Michal Kalecki

This is also why the Democrats are going so hard on "full employment", to ensure that the unrest from 2020 is practically implausible anytime soon.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shageletic posted:

The first union in Hollywood was the Motion Pictures Association of Producers, the group that is negotiating against the WGA and SAG. A union of studios.

They want their side to win over labor and have for a century now. People talk about class consciousness but no one is more mindful about it than these useless fucks

Well, an association of managers is not a union. It’s at best a sort of guild and more likely (as in this case) simply a cartel.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

-Michal Kalecki

Virtually all “economics” since Kalecki is prologue

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I haven't heard of Kalecki, what should I read of him? Is there a single book or was he more of an essay guy?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowman_McK posted:

I haven't heard of Kalecki, what should I read of him? Is there a single book or was he more of an essay guy?

Almost entirely an essay guy. Political Aspects of Full Employment is the essay SMG’s quote is pulled from and is widely available for free

https://jacobin.com/2018/05/political-aspects-of-full-employment-kalecki-job-guarantee

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Are you sad that Riverdale ended? Netflix has got you covered with a new Archie movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN71kSL7uEM

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah that looks like a Netflix show

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s so grey

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Archie was beyond stale a decade before I was born, but here it still is.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Does it cost more to stream movies with colors?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

They don't win in the movie it ends with like a shot of the guy who got hosed off to tell the story leading an army. I don't know history so good I don't know if they won. Or if it's actually a thing that happened

E: I looked it up it was real and they lost
I was referring to the battle of Plataea but it doesn't really matter anyway, that's just the Greeks as a whole

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What on Earth

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bar Crow posted:

Does it cost more to stream movies with colors?

Its costs time and money to color grade a film.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Also, that guy in real life was condemned by Sparta as a coward and eventually committed suicide.

That was pretty hosed. What happened was Leonidas sent two of the Spartans away on separate paths in case the Persians caught one of them; that would've been fine, since they were obeying the direct orders of their king. But the other guy changed his mind and went back to die in the battle, so obviously the guy who did what he was told to do was just a coward running away.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well if you can't trust infanticidal murderers I'm not sure what this is coming to.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Byzantine posted:

That was pretty hosed. What happened was Leonidas sent two of the Spartans away on separate paths in case the Persians caught one of them; that would've been fine, since they were obeying the direct orders of their king. But the other guy changed his mind and went back to die in the battle, so obviously the guy who did what he was told to do was just a coward running away.

To elaborate: Aristodemus, who the the character was based on, obviously tried to reclaim his honor in a battle so he charged the enemy and fought furiously before being killed. After that the spartans stopped calling him a coward, but they also thought he had been too reckless and refused to honor him.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 31, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
You just can't win with these 300 guys.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

davidspackage posted:

But enough about your sex tape

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I been saying we really need a sequel where they get their asses beat by the Gaycred Band of Thebes

It’s 2023 it would make so much money

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
DreamWorks' "Sparta" ft Hippo-Crates and Diogenes, a featherless chicken that thinks it's a man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

davidspackage posted:

The real Leonidas would probably have hated the movie. His goal wasn't to die a glorious death but to win the battle.