Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat no spice flowing this year. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
On the other hand it wouldn't be bad for the industry if Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon are big hits because all the sci-fi fantasy effects blockbusters get pulled

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

High Warlord Zog posted:

On the other hand it wouldn't be bad for the industry if Killers of the Flower Moon and Napoleon are big hits because all the sci-fi fantasy effects blockbusters get pulled

But we are denied a classic Barbenheimer-style matchup.

Killers of the Flower Dune

Dunepoleon

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Push back Scott's movie and rerelease Gance's Napoleon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/Ruby_Stevens/status/1693960997231288530?t=nwNYB9AMF5Uin3BrgMhWAg&s=19

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Tweet's been deleted, what did it say?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
"I have information that will lead to the release of the Ayer Cut."

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

But we are denied a classic Barbenheimer-style matchup.

Killers of the Flower Dune

Dunepoleon

I believe you mean Killers of the Flower Dunc and Duncpoleon

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It'same

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This movie has some fantastical elements but the one thing that’s breaking my suspension of disbelief is this chick doing the Batman vanish while wearing wooden sandals.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Tweet's been deleted, what did it say?

Pointing out that Greta Gerwig's "killer idea" to have a huge blockbuster movie was using actual sets and have the characters wearing actual clothes instead of CGI.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

When I started this movie I was like “I wonder if it’s going to have the guy who sharpened his arm bones! Probably not, that’s the sort of thing you cut for time and pacing in an adaptation”

It never occurred to me the movie would be 2 and a half hours long, cut nothing, and just give zero poo poo about pacing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Ah yeah every adaptation cuts the guy with the sharpened arm bones

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
What are you even talking about

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Baraka left mortal kombat to join hollywood

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Blade of the Immortal. I was very psyched for this movie. It's Blade of the Immortal directed by Takashi Miike. But I also knew I hadn't heard much buzz about the movie, so I was tempering my expectations based on the theory that if it was everything it could be everybody would have been talking about it.

There is a lot of good in Blade of the Immortal. The cast is across the board great. There's a little kid who has to do a lot of the emotional work and she does a great job. They just straight up did the costumes and hairstyles from the comic without worrying toning them down to try to make them less silly. An excellent choice. And the opening sequence is fantastic. I was onboard from that point. There was one little niggling thing that was off, but it wasn't a huge problem at that point, I'm not sure if I even consciously noticed it that early. I'll explain in a moment.

Unfortunately, there are big systemic problems. The first being pacing. In the comic, Manji and Rin come to town, a sword pervert shows up, there's an insanely gory fight where Manji gets stabbed through all his organs but wins, repeat next volume. Totally fine in a long running comic. But this is a movie. And they didn't change or adapt the story structure at all. The bulk of this movie is an episodic series of fights with sword perverts. There's no real momentum or buildup at all. After the opening, I never had any idea where I was in the movie. At one point I felt like I had been sitting there for awhile so we had to be getting close to a climax, so I checked and it turned out there was an hour left. Because this movie is two and a half hours long. Even after the climactic battle I wouldn't have been terribly surprised if there had been another half hour of random sword pervert fights.

Now, I'm sure some of you are thinking "a series of barely connected gory fights with sword perverts? I'm in!". I would feel the same. But the fights aren't great. There either no music or very background music, I don't actually remember. And, crucially, you made a mistake. I said the fights in the comic were gory. I didn't say the fights in the movie were gory. Go back and check.

There's no loving gore! Multiple people get cut in half, but you never see anybody's intestines dangling out! Limbs get severed all over the place, but there's barely any blood. Like, if you were going to rank all movies based on the total amount of blood in them, sure Blade of the Immortal would be pretty high up. But in terms of the violence depicted on screen, there's virtually no blood. Somebody gets slashed fours inches deep across the torso, there's blood soaked into their clothes around the wound and that's it. An arm gets severed and goes flying off and there's just some blood around the cut. A guy gets stabbed through the chest to a tree and all of his arms and legs cut and most of his torso cut off, and there isn't' even a pool of blood at the base of the tree! It's loving absurd how little blood there is in this movie! It's like it takes place in a world where the average human has one cup of blood in there entire body.

I really can't get across how weird and distracting it is to have a movie with this much violence but almost no blood. At one point in the final fight the characters slip a bit in blood, but this is after they have stood in a field and slaughtered, genuinely, I think about 300 people. They are surrounded by bodies, and finally, at long last, they've killed enough people to put some blood on the ground, but the blood puddle is like a square foot. And it's not even coming out of anyone, all the bodies around them are mostly dry, it's just this little puddle put here for the characters to slip a bit in. If it hadn't been in the script that they slip a bit in blood there wouldn't have been any blood there.

Man. I was feeling more charitable about the movie after I finished watching it but writing about it has gotten me all worked up. There was no loving blood! In a Blade of the Immortal movie! Directed by Takashi Miike! What were they thinking?!?!?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

What are you even talking about

Blade of the Immortal. I thought that was obvious, as Josh04 sarcastically pointed out, there's not a lot of movies with guys who sharpened their arm bones

Edit: Oh poo poo, I forgot to mention, the guy who flayed his arm to the elbow to reveal his arm bones which he sharpened to a point to stab people with? When we see it, his stump isn't even wet! This is supposed to be a gross out scene where the little girl sees how this man has maimed himself, but they didn't even try to make the situation look gross! He did it like that morning, but the bandages wrapped around the bones aren't even blood stained.

There's no loving blood in this movie!

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 26, 2023

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gripweed posted:

Blade of the Immortal. I thought that was obvious, as Josh04 sarcastically pointed out, there's not a lot of movies with guys who sharpened their arm bones

Not everyone immediately knows which properties feature guys with sharpened arm bones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What the genuine gently caress?

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1695113694974247151?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Not everyone immediately knows which properties feature guys with sharpened arm bones.

Wolverine has been in like 8 movies

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C20QLlVY-8

There’s blood all over this trailer :confused:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I was just having fun with it, I had no idea which franchise has the guy with sharpened am bones. I was imagining Harry Potter.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

You know in retrospect it's kind of a miracle that box office reports became standard.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Caught You Are So Not Invited to My Bat Mitzvah.

It's not on Netflix yet but I recommend it when you get the opportunity. I didn't exactly laugh out loud throughout and suspect that's not just because I'm not Jewish and am missing cultural in-jokes. But it's really fun and has some solid performances (such as Sandler, his older daughter, and the girl who plays the protagonist's best friend). The cinematography and camerwork are the true highlights though.

Finally, how is Adam Sandler a fine actor now? Did he take lessons in the last couple of years?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Sandler has always been a good actor, he just doesn't seem to have much interest in doing stuff outside of the easy money Happy Madison productions very often. Watch Punch Drunk Love or Uncut Gems if you haven't already.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He's always been great, but he doesn't play the prestige game. He's linked with the safdies again so some more sandman kino is coming.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I swore I wouldn’t see Blue Beetle and now my buddy is dragging me to it. Ugh.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gatts posted:

I swore I wouldn’t see Blue Beetle and now my buddy is dragging me to it. Ugh.

I don't understand why you felt strongly enough about Blue Beetle either way to swear you weren't going to see it, and why your friend feels strongly enough to drag you to it but like three weeks after opening

Confusing Blue Beetle passion in this interaction

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Weirdest movie to strongly be averse to seeing on one hand or dying to see with friends on the other I've come across was someone obsessed with Looper before it even came out.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 26, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Cinema day tomorrow, all AMC and Regal (and probably other chains) is $4 for everything.
I already have A-list for AMC, so it doesn't really help me. Probably gonna cancel it this month, the next few months look really weak in terms of releases.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
movies loving rule

The Sword and the Dragon

Would people be into a movie GIFs thread? Feels more like a PYF thread, but I don't trust the tastes of anyone outside of CineD

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Do it up, I love cool movie gifs

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
a mix of good gif, funny out of context ones and outright bad looking cgi would be neat to just look thru sometimes

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

feedmyleg posted:

Would people be into a movie GIFs thread? Feels more like a PYF thread, but I don't trust the tastes of anyone outside of CineD

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

movies loving rule

The Sword and the Dragon

Been meaning to see the restoration of this. Die Niebelungen vibes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The GIF thread is here! Post some silly and/or cool stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Weirdest movie to strongly be averse to seeing on one hand or dying to see with friends on the other I've come across was someone obsessed with Looper before it even came out.

Did they have a crush on Joseph Gordon Levitt?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Air Skwirl posted:

Did they have a crush on Joseph Gordon Levitt?

Who didn't? But yes they were gay.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The thing about takashi miike that a lot of film nerds are hesitant to admit for some reason, is that the consequence of him being one of the most prolific film directors in history is that a large proportion of his output is just him clocking in and kinda not giving a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You would too if you made like 5 films a year.