Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

They didn’t say if all his voices are being recast or just Mario.

"stepping back from recording character voices for our games"

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1693624002982314108/photo/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Ohhh I missed that part. Sad face.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

What's really sad is this kind of respect for long-time VAs is an exception to the rule.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Not to get too weeby and Orientalist, but I feel like that's one of those classic Japanese concepts of how they do business. The same old lady is still Goku after nearly 40 years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably more concerns about brand confusion, but also likely getting ahead, best to have a handover go smoothly especially when they're used to the idea of Mario having more than one VA than wait for Martinet to keel over or no longer be able to do the voice. (Or get some Zombie Simpsons shitshow) I wouldn't be surprised if they've been training an understudy for a good while now.

Macatt
May 3, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMkeJTEGuU

The most perfect ending note. I literally spent years making my way through that game, and it was probably the first one I ever beat. Finally finishing it could've been an entirely bittersweet moment, but the beautiful retrospective montage and the personal thank you from Mario himself made me feel so grateful to have shared that amazing yearslong journey with him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably more concerns about brand confusion, but also likely getting ahead, best to have a handover go smoothly especially when they're used to the idea of Mario having more than one VA than wait for Martinet to keel over or no longer be able to do the voice. (Or get some Zombie Simpsons shitshow) I wouldn't be surprised if they've been training an understudy for a good while now.

Apparently the voice was getting tough on his throat which is probably one of the main reasons he's stepping down

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

Apparently the voice was getting tough on his throat which is probably one of the main reasons he's stepping down

I recall Kevin Conroy(RIP to the one True Batman, also gently caress Cancer) having a similar issue with how he did the contrasting voices of Bruce Wayne and Batman in the early seasons of BTAS. Charles has been doing this voice for nearly thirty years. That's gotta take a hard toll on his voice. I imagine he'll still do VA work, but stuff that's easier on the cords.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

I recall Kevin Conroy(RIP to the one True Batman, also gently caress Cancer) having a similar issue with how he did the contrasting voices of Bruce Wayne and Batman in the early seasons of BTAS. Charles has been doing this voice for nearly thirty years. That's gotta take a hard toll on his voice. I imagine he'll still do VA work, but stuff that's easier on the cords.

Some VAs are better at that kind of stuff than others (Rob Paulsen, Jim Cummings, Tress MacNeille, etc) but yeah. I think that’s also part of the reason why Mark Hamill cut back on playing the Joker

Charles will apparently still be voicing Mario at special events and the like

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
But seriously gently caress Nintendo for presenting the announcement that way. Could not build a stronger Mario death announcement vibe if they tried.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

Some VAs are better at that kind of stuff than others (Rob Paulsen, Jim Cummings, Tress MacNeille, etc) but yeah. I think that’s also part of the reason why Mark Hamill cut back on playing the Joker

Charles will apparently still be voicing Mario at special events and the like

Yeah I heard about that. Given the range requires I imagine it gets rough. He's still got it, but you can definitely hear his age. An yeah I imagine he'll still do the voice at cons and special events.

Wittgen posted:

But seriously gently caress Nintendo for presenting the announcement that way. Could not build a stronger Mario death announcement vibe if they tried.

I knew that he had stepped down, but if I didn't I'd definitely had though something happened to him.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Just saw Porco Rosso playing in my local theater and aw man I can't believe I didn't watch this until now, it absolutely rules.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell yeah it does

Just saw it myself recently. I don't know what it is about aircraft and 80s-90s big-ticket anime

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/charmainevee/status/1694047870520017387?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Link in case Twitter shits the bed

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Netflix released a teaser for this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQTNRFJ9R-4

I have two main thoughts.

One: I think visually it's quite nice, animation looks quite good.
Two: I am not using hyperbole when I say that Adam Sandler's voice coming out of this particular character here may be the most wrong sounding voice for an animated character I have ever heard in my entire life.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

When I picture an old looking lizard I expect a gruff voice to come out of it.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Macaluso posted:

Netflix released a teaser for this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQTNRFJ9R-4

I have two main thoughts.

One: I think visually it's quite nice, animation looks quite good.
Two: I am not using hyperbole when I say that Adam Sandler's voice coming out of this particular character here may be the most wrong sounding voice for an animated character I have ever heard in my entire life.

It's not the worst casting as the lizard looks like a derpy dope. I am sold on him after the little callback to a better character from a better film, though...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

This rules, thank you!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just saw Porco Rosso playing in my local theater and aw man I can't believe I didn't watch this until now, it absolutely rules.

I love Porco Rosso :allears:

I just saw The Wind Rises for the first time under the same circumstances, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's a very lovely film but it's still about the development of a rather infamous warplane. I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet but it was on my mind the whole time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Puss in Boots: The Last Wish. It's a sequel to a movie nobody even remembers that was a spin-off from a franchise that people stopped caring about decades ago and yet it was shockingly good. Everyone could've just phoned it in and no one would blame them but instead they decided that "gently caress it, why not make it look good, have a decent script and make the voice actors put in some effort?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That's a little unfair on the voice actors. I'm sure they were trying even in the bad movies, but good acting can't save a bad script. Even the bad shrek movies had some fun line reads, like "Help, I'm being chased by a monster and he's trying to relate to me!" from Shrek 3.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Also I will go to bat for Shrek 4. It's not the best of the four by any means, but compare that to the absolute stinker turd that was Shrek 3, Shrek 4 does a lot of stuff that feels like they actually tried again. Shrek 3 is one of the most embarrassing animated things I've ever seen

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Macaluso posted:

Also I will go to bat for Shrek 4. It's not the best of the four by any means, but compare that to the absolute stinker turd that was Shrek 3, Shrek 4 does a lot of stuff that feels like they actually tried again. Shrek 3 is one of the most embarrassing animated things I've ever seen

Same. I loved the contract tweak in the opening. "I'll take as payment one day from your life, it's such a long time ago you probably don't even remember it..." because no one remembers the day of their birth

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Even so, that movie was over a decade ago. Nobody cares about Shrek anymore.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alhazred posted:

Nobody cares about Shrek anymore.

They started caring a lot as of the last roughly five seconds of Puss in Boots 2.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alhazred posted:

When they release Shrek 5 it's going to make five hundred bajillion dollars

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shrek will live on in meme formats

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

When they release Shrek 5 it's going to make five hundred bajillion dollars

I feel like unfortunately Shrek 5 is gonna be banking hard on getting millennials to go see it more than actual children which will be a problem because many millennials like myself have probably seen (or at least are aware of) the consensus that 3 and 4 were rough at best and thus won't have faith in yet another project.

It'll probably do numbers... on streaming.

And I'm sure like Electric Phantasm said, it'll definitely be popular when it's chopped into pieces for people to make into TikTok memes.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
In my area, we have Shrek based dance parties that do well. I've not been, and don't understand the print, but they sell. While looking for the flyer, I found the Instagram of the traveling event.
I think you're misjudging how many people still love Shrek. I was 19 when it came out, so not totally the target demo even.
https://instagram.com/shrekrave?igshid=NzZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I think Shrek as a concept if too much from that cynical 2000s era of comedy to really appeal to modern audiences in the same way it did back in the day. It came of the heels of a saccarine spree of completely sincere Disney stuff too and could be kind of refreshing in contrast, whereas now what made Shrek unique has just been integrated if only subtly into basically everything since.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

A Shrek movie is on one of the kids' channels at pretty much at any given time. Shrek, Croods 2, Despicable Me, Hotel Transylvania, then more Shrek.

Bee movie gets a suspicious amount of airtime as well.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Bee Movie is one of the most streamed movies of all time for some reason

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Fuuuuuck, in sad animation news, Arleen Sorkin passed away :(

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Wow, a voice acting legend. Essentially created an archetype

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Shrek is loving huge with zoomers. It's the film that got played every time teachers couldn't be hosed teaching.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Shrek will live on in meme formats

Also this.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My son is very slowly going through the “new” ducktales and we get to watch along with him. This show is bonkers.

That Gummibear episode, wtf!

And hilariously, after Darkwing Duck got a shout out by in the new Ducktales my son started watching the original Darkwing Duck cartoon.
Now I remember watching it ages ago in Dutch, but my son decided he wanted to watch it in English. And I have no recollection at all at the sheer pun density in this show. I wonder how many puns got lost in translation. Not to mention the surprising use of the word kill in a few episodes. Darkwing Duck goes hard.

I wonder if I can get my son to watch Gargoyles with me. I think I can, he watched Avatar after I nagged him to watch it and he thanked me for it later. I think I have creds to burn with my recs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

And I have no recollection at all at the sheer pun density in this show. I wonder how many puns got lost in translation.
I think in any kids show that just has lots of small puns that aren't really that important they're typically mostly just going to get eliminated rather than being replaced when the show is translated.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Darth TNT posted:

My son is very slowly going through the “new” ducktales and we get to watch along with him. This show is bonkers.

That Gummibear episode, wtf!

And hilariously, after Darkwing Duck got a shout out by in the new Ducktales my son started watching the original Darkwing Duck cartoon.
Now I remember watching it ages ago in Dutch, but my son decided he wanted to watch it in English. And I have no recollection at all at the sheer pun density in this show. I wonder how many puns got lost in translation. Not to mention the surprising use of the word kill in a few episodes. Darkwing Duck goes hard.

I wonder if I can get my son to watch Gargoyles with me. I think I can, he watched Avatar after I nagged him to watch it and he thanked me for it later. I think I have creds to burn with my recs.

Oh man it only gets freakier from there. Wait'll you see the places it goes in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. That show is one of the best times I've ever had

And my nieces similarly went to seek out the old source material and now they're turning into animation nerds because of it

GLOMTALES

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The Shrek meme is more a response to the advertising campaign for Shrek than it is about anything in the movies. In spite of the cynical advertising campaign, the content of the films is probably less cynical than, say, Disney's Hercules. Which is the true Shrek?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

FunkyAl posted:

Which is the true Shrek?
Inside each of us there are Two Shreks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watched Watership Down for the first time in like 30 years. (jeezus)

I was a big fan of the book before I watched it for the first time back then, and I remember being pretty disappointed by the translation to film. I had very nearly the same experience this time—the movie has the same strengths and weaknesses that I like to think I remember noticing as a ~15-year-old—but what's different is that there's been decades of other animated movies that have come out between then and now, and I'm utterly floored whenever I am faced with evidence of just how spoiled rotten we are by today's standards of acting and production in an animated feature film.

Like, no matter whether it's from Disney/Pixar or some also-ran indie studio, these days you're guaranteed to get something where the emoting and the mouth movements and the physical acting are all far, far beyond what was possible at the time with anything less than a Disney budget. Even Disney couldn't match what we're used to today until they started reaching for the stars in the 90s; you could count on them for convincing facial acting and well-timed movement and staging, but it was the absolute cuttingest of edges and the undisputed masters of the craft holding the pencils that were able to make it happen.

Watership Down conveys the story faithfully enough, but I struggle to decide which it's most let down by: the slow, plodding, workmanlike scene progression that never sees fit to explain what anyone is thinking or why they're doing what they're doing (like Hazel's raid on the farm) until much later, if you're lucky; the dim, muddy, undifferentiated design of the thing, where none of the characters looks distinctive enough for you to really get a bead on who anyone is or how they interplay as characters; or, ultimately probably my biggest beef when it comes down to it, the sadly ho-hum quality of the animation itself. I mean sure, it has some nice qualities, and I appreciate the level of realism they chose; I think it's probably the right balance to have struck between naturalistic realism and technicolor cartooniness. But if you're going to design your characters with that subtle level of visual distinctiveness—relying on the nuances of acting and physical body language and gestures to help get their personalities across, like to establish Cowslip's patrician aloofness or Kehaar's comic-relief clowning, not to mention the otherwise important physical and mental capabilities of characters like Dandelion and Blackberry—you're going to completely fail if you don't have the resources of a Disney-level studio to lay into the lip-syncing and the eye acting and the gestural emoting. In this day and age, in the post-Shrek world where every 3D character (or indeed even every 2D project worth its salt) can make its celebrity impersonations or its pop-culture allusions stick almost effortlessly and as table stakes in anything that gets off the ground, it feels like having performers like Denholm Elliott and Zero Mostel in your cast is a total waste if you can't visually convey the mannerisms in the characters that made you want to cast them in the first place.

Just one example of how the narrative falls flat is in Cowslip's warren, where the POV never allows itself to get inside anybody's head, and there are unsubtle clues of the wrongness of the place being blared at you at all levels from dialogue to music right from the start, so you as a viewer are never lulled into the sickly-sweet satiety that overcomes you in the book and is laid bare so horribly when the snares are revealed. This pedestrian style of narration is itself not the end of the world, but then the animation and the colors are so dark and so dim and depressing, the acting is so halting and so awkward, that it never really gives you "the illusion of life" as it were; it never tricks you with any kind of persistence of vision, it never lets you stop thinking of it as a bunch of indifferently-rendered drawings with 70s watercolor backgrounds. Ultimately you're left with "one disaster after another" without any sense of the real-world allegorical exercises the text is trying to lead you through.

15-year-old me almost turned it off in disgust at the opening sequence which I thought the whole movie was going to be like, to my horror as someone who was craving a movie that treated the source material as a piece of mature literature and didn't stoop to kiddie cartoony goofiness. Of course I know better now, but now I find myself almost wishing the whole thing had been done in that style, if they couldn't properly follow through and pull off the "serious" style they went with for the real thing. At least then I wouldn't be spending the whole movie wishing they'd done a better job of timing what a bird looks like swooping through the air, or wishing they had put more than two frames of mouth-movement drawings into the cat saying "can you run? I think not"

I never saw any of the more recent TV adaptations so I don't know if they're "better" or do a more admirable job of adapting the material. But I sure do feel like this one could potentially have been exactly the right format for it if only it had been executed with a more stylish eye, more of a sense of narrative and drama, more inspiration as to how to put your audience's POV into close communion with Hazel and the others rather than just a more or less interchangeable sea of rabbit-like shapes.