Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Landline phone numbers have been portable since at least the 1970s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

8one6 posted:

By recent do you mean 20 loving years ago? Because I was working in Sprint's number portability department for the VoIP cable customers back in 2005 when it could take up to a couple of business days to port a number because teams of assholes like me had to process the requests manually.

You don't know hell unless you sat on hold with another LEC's local number portability department 40 times a day, 5 days a week.

Yes, fixed line portability became a thing in 2003 but you should know as well as anyone that habits die hard and there’s absolutely still people that think a landline utility transfer is part of the closing process. So yes, technically it doesn’t work that way, but I guarantee there’s also millions of boomers that just hand over a landline number when they move homes.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Cerekk posted:

Landline phone numbers have been portable since at least the 1970s

Maybe some carriers did it voluntarily but broadly it wasn’t permitted until the FCC mandate in 2003.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Biplane posted:

Someone telling me after I bought their house that they buried their husband in the flowerbed and want to come over whenever to visit would get a solid and instant no. Maybe they could buy the flowerbed, and transport it off the property.

Like that woman who pissed off her landlord by having her awesome garden entirely in planters she could move. Make sure to scatter your spouse's ashes in something you can transport when you sell the house, everyone!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm sorry but only one birthday person can have the month, so you need to wait.

It is not my birthday month.

Dibsies on September

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Maybe some carriers did it voluntarily but broadly it wasn’t permitted until the FCC mandate in 2003.

Before 1984 phone service was a monopoly so this was probably only ever an issue for less than 20 years

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Unless you have evidence the contrary I just do not believe that Ma Bell, the company that wouldn’t even install a nonstandard handset at massive cost to the consumer, would just transfer numbers between addresses no problemo especially with how prefixes were assigned.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

8one6 posted:

By recent do you mean 20 loving years ago? Because I was working in Sprint's number portability department for the VoIP cable customers back in 2005 when it could take up to a couple of business days to port a number because teams of assholes like me had to process the requests manually.

You don't know hell unless you sat on hold with another LEC's local number portability department 40 times a day, 5 days a week.

Thanks for the flashbacks of maintaining a notebook of passwords for every lovely podunk CLEC’s lovely podunk LNP web portal.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I have a friend who bought a property that has a small graveyard on it (not uncommon in our part of the country). Part of the deed contract was that they had to let the family of the deceased on the property anytime during daylight hours and not dig up or otherwise remove the graves. The realtor explained it all but since the graves are from the early 1800s nobody has visited in at least 50 years but it's possible some genealogy buffs might turn up one day.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I am realizing I consider the layer in between the two layers of cake to be mostly an adhesive layer and not part of the actual cake description. Like, it would have never occurred to me to be a thing that people care about unless it's something they actively dislike. I bet if the vanilla frosting was brown he would have never noticed.

My mom used raspberry jam in between layers a lot, it was good.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for complaining to my husband about the gifts his parents (my in-laws) give to our kids?

Kids are 4,7, and 9. No hint as to what the vacation spot is.

It’s Disneyland, right? These are Disney adults.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Success! your quiz has been completed. Your results:

Landline number portability processes and practices over the past 50 years : 0/5, 0%

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Crocobile posted:

Nah, kids love Disney poo poo. I've got 2:1 odds on Rehoboth Beach, 1.5:1 Ithaca/Upstate NY, and 1:1 for Hilton Head and Martha's Vineyard.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kids love Martha's Vineyard

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Crocobile posted:

disney dad / grandparents. desantis mom is my guess

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Why are people obsessed with Hilton Head of all places?

My grandparents lived there but they had the house before there was even a bridge to the island. Maybe its because they weren't in any of the resorts but I don't see special the appeal over other coastal areas.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Hilton Head felt like everything was gated/private. I won't ever go back.

Kure Beach is way more my speed.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Why are people obsessed with Hilton Head of all places?

My grandparents lived there but they had the house before there was even a bridge to the island. Maybe its because they weren't in any of the resorts but I don't see special the appeal over other coastal areas.

Well, I mean it's Hilton head so it's pretty cool How often do you get to visit a giant head?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Nocheez posted:

I don't know man this bird looks like it's ready to gently caress someone up:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Pfbf9xvpvr11pYQo7?g_st=ic

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Well, I mean it's Hilton head so it's pretty cool How often do you get to visit a giant head?

Its actually shaped like a shoe.

Which is guess some folks are into idk I don't judge.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

is hilton head the one that has all the loving plantations?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

I Went To Hilton Head and I Didn't Even See a Slave t-shirt, that I could see being an issue.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Clark Nova posted:

Nah, it is 30 miles of t-shirt shops and Ohioans. Coming up on 50 years of the people of Ohio swimming downstream to spawn, before returning to their car dealerships and small law offices in the Akron/Canton area.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

It’s how it worked for decades before the number became portable semi recently (this century even). Safety nightmare lol how young are you to not remember when they’d send out whole rear end phone books with our names, addresses and phone numbers?

They weren't hard coded to your address, they were still tied to your account. When you made an account for an address they gave you a new number, not the number that belonged to the previous owner. An address could even have multiple phone numbers if they had multiple lines!

Unless you have evidence the contrary I just do not believe that Ma Bell, the company that wouldn’t even install a nonstandard handset at massive cost to the consumer, would just transfer numbers between addresses no problemo especially with how prefixes were assigned.

I was born in the 1980s and we moved a bunch. It took a few days, but we would get a new number assigned to our phone (which we purchased at the store!). We couldn't transfer numbers to a place with a new prefix but we could transfer if we were moving within a prefix. Handsets weren't hard installed, we always had phone jacks.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 26, 2023

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Slo-Tek posted:

Nah, it is 30 miles of t-shirt shops and Ohioans. Coming up on 50 years of the people of Ohio swimming downstream to spawn, before returning to their car dealerships and small law offices in the Akron/Canton area.

At least it isn't Myrtle Beach, christ what a tourist trap shithole that place is.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

From at least when I was born in 1984 until my mom moved out of my hometown in 2006, our landline was the exact same number. That number moved between five different addresses in that period. It was no big deal.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Slo-Tek posted:

As someone who grew up in Barberton and married a Canton girl, this gave me a fantastic laugh. Thank you!

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Outer Banks

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mr. Nice! posted:

From at least when I was born in 1984 until my mom moved out of my hometown in 2006, our landline was the exact same number. That number moved between five different addresses in that period. It was no big deal.

Did you remain in the same county for all of those moves? POTS Landlines back then would have needed to remain within the same rate center iirc.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
My parents still have a land line because "I've had the same phone number since 1969 and I'm not learning a new one." Like 6 houses across 50 years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can’t you get a landline number ported to a cell phone

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Oh poo poo I forgot about OB, it's definitely that. I spent years of my childhood thinking "Outer Banks" was a bougie clothing brand.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Nocheez posted:

and where in the Triad are you from

Nocheez posted:

As someone who grew up in Barberton and married a Canton girl, this gave me a fantastic laugh. Thank you!

oh goddamn it ruin the joke why don't you

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot about OB, it's definitely that. I spent years of my childhood thinking "Outer Banks" was a bougie clothing brand.

It's a tampon brand

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lol cake chat over the last few pages reminded me of one from ages back (possibly earlier thread) where the BF said all he wanted for his birthday was cake and didn't specify anything else. GF thought he meant "cake" and showed up in a sexy outfit with her rear end out while BF just sat there with a fork looking confused.

was a good one that because at the time loads of goons didn't know about big juicy butts being referred to as cake

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Wait is that how cake sitting became a thing?

Poor horny girlfriend

Poor hungry boyfriend

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Big juicy asses are anathema to goons

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Cowslips Warren posted:

WIBTA if I refused to go to an important event for my friend?

It's a wedding or revival or attempt to force the friend into converting.

Clearly just another hymen checking ceremony

in Europe this is very normal

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Biplane posted:

Big juicy asses are anathema to goons

Anassema

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

AITA for not bringing my friend to fight night when she hates fighting?

quote:

Background: since I was a teenager a group of friends and I would go out late to do some activity, get dinner, and then fist fight in a parking lot. It's a great way to blow off steam and some of us like racking up how impressive our bruises can get.

For the past few years, we've begun doing bowling as our pre-fight activity, and we all really enjoy it. When I was showing off the latest bruises from the latest fight to show my friend, she found out about the bowling part and asked why she wasn't invited. I told her that I thought she didn't like fighting, and she confirmed this.

I would like to invite her to just the bowling part, but she doesn't have her driver's license, and my fight night group typically rides in one car (we all meet up at someone's place beforehand) since we usually down a couple pitchers of beer at the bowling alley and need a designated driver. When I asked her if she wanted to go bowling just the two of us, she expressed that she would like to go with the group, since some of the people that show up are friends of hers, and even just the bowling part is wild and fun with this group.

I might be the rear end in a top hat because I don't want to have to take her bowling and then leave before the real fun (to me) begins, especially since I wouldn't be able to drink as much. She doesn't get out much, so I feel like this would be a great way for her to engage. I don't know why she hasn't gotten her driver's license yet and she doesn't seem open to telling me, but it's not like I wouldn't let her borrow my car if she did. I don't think taking her in the main vehicle is the solution because after the bowling alley we begin physically "squabbling" in the car (minus the dd) and I really don't think that's her style.

AITA?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rule one of fight night is to not ask AITA about fight night :toughguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Smdh "should I bring marla to fight club he;lp pls"