Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

how about also people were always right to question the vaccine and efficacy of lockdowns as the pandemic never suspended the question of capital.

it’s still echoed in this very thread that if people had just lockdowned harder, the virus would have been defeated. that was just a delusion as lockdowns were always for the ‘non-essential’ workers.

the disdain for ‘anti-vaxxers’ was always dumb because the vaccine doesn’t stop spread and the risk calculation is nebulous especially for younger people as the vaccine is not without side-effects

horseshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Tulip posted:

I do think an interesting wrinkle in this story is that "capitalism" wasn't a truly unified front on this. Different sectors had different opinions on lockdowns, and I remember reading a few articles from 2020 of leftists saying that the lockdowns were less about healthcare and were rather a pro capital conspiracy theory to depress in-person organizing and drive money toward online services. Quite a few capitalist orgs and institutions were quite open about their belief that disabling large numbers of workers was bad for them! A place where this felt particularly obvious was watching NYS government flip flop on a seemingly daily basis over things like WFH, it felt incredibly obvious that we were getting policy set by "was the last person who talked to the governor a finance guy, or a real estate guy." And yes those often overlap, but the specific interest in profiting off of rents vs profiting off of growing industries were in conflict on this one. That rents won was a political fight that I do not think was foregone by the boundary conditions of the universe, but instead the result of pro-rent actors being more organized and better placed in the specific situation the US exists in.

That's true. I just think their overall point was "better things aren't possible." In other words, lib poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rated PG-34 posted:

how about also people were always right to question the vaccine and efficacy of lockdowns as the pandemic never suspended the question of capital.

it’s still echoed in this very thread that if people had just lockdowned harder, the virus would have been defeated. that was just a delusion as lockdowns were always for the ‘non-essential’ workers.

the disdain for ‘anti-vaxxers’ was always dumb because the vaccine doesn’t stop spread and the risk calculation is nebulous especially for younger people as the vaccine is not without side-effects

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My wife tested negative today, 1 week after testing positive. I’m doing a bit better today, my gums are mostly back to normal and I haven’t had a fever yet today. Maybe things are turning around.

Can my wife drop the mask now around our kids?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Rated PG-34 posted:

lol this is from some reddit post right? right??

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glumwheels posted:

My wife tested negative today, 1 week after testing positive. I’m doing a bit better today, my gums are mostly back to normal and I haven’t had a fever yet today. Maybe things are turning around.

Can my wife drop the mask now around our kids?

are the kids sick?

if not that's a lil dodgy, have her take another RAT like, now or whenever is convenient, and if that's also negative you could risk it, but IMO ten days and two negative tests is kinda the play

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
US CDC guidelines are quarantined (stay home) for 5 days and then isolated (masked around others) for 5 days or until you no longer have symptoms, whichever is longer

if this round hit your kids already then gently caress it everyone mask off at home

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

bobtheconqueror posted:

Anybody that says that the COVID vaccine is more dangerous than COVID, regardless of age, is either lying or incompetent, full stop.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

hailthefish posted:

public health definitionally requires giving half a dusty gently caress about other people and possibly even occasionally inconveniencing yourself to protect other people, who you may not even personally know!, from harm

so you know that poo poo has gotta go

if you live your life you'll inevitably get into car accidents. I got into a minor car accident just last week and was totally fine! why do we even need any of these stupid laws.

*accelerates aggressively to the next light 100ft down the road, mowing down flexposts*

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 18:33 on Aug 26, 2023

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

except you’re not guaranteed to get Covid but you are guaranteed the vaccine with the mandates. never mind the disingenuous public messaging that the vaccines are perfectly safe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Rated PG-34 posted:

except you’re not guaranteed to get Covid but you are guaranteed the vaccine with the mandates. never mind the disingenuous public messaging that the vaccines are perfectly safe

this is a really boring attempt at trolling

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Gunshow Poophole posted:

are the kids sick?

if not that's a lil dodgy, have her take another RAT like, now or whenever is convenient, and if that's also negative you could risk it, but IMO ten days and two negative tests is kinda the play

Kids are not sick, they didn’t seem to get COVID as we’ve tested them a couple times now. My wife doesn’t have any symptoms now either but I guess she should wait 3 more days?

I need to go find more tests, we are done with our stockpile. So glad Biden ended free tests and insurance won’t cover them anymore.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

so this is a great example of the COVID celebrity posting that needs to stop. the tweet implies a lot more than the story actually says

she went to a Tay concert and was sick a couple of days later (which is lol yes), came back on air, and then went on vacation for awhile and still is on vacation. no one has said she isn't on vacation. the story hinges on that they haven't seen her post on Instagram about her vacation yet.

is there the possibility of something else? sure. but the tweet implies covid (at best, long covid), they've been open about her prior bouts with covid (she got Al Roker iirc), and no one outside of twitter people who post covid celebrity gossip are saying it is

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

an actual anti-vaxxer in the covid thread

is that a first?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rated PG-34 posted:

ah yes the totally real vaccine mandate, lol

not guarantied to get covid, lmao, we're all just staving off the inevitable as long as possible in this thread

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

is that a first?

To be fair, they might just be on the JCVI.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

Kids are not sick, they didn’t seem to get COVID as we’ve tested them a couple times now. My wife doesn’t have any symptoms now either but I guess she should wait 3 more days?

I need to go find more tests, we are done with our stockpile. So glad Biden ended free tests and insurance won’t cover them anymore.

Two negative tests 72 hours apart rules out the scary scenarios that were done in that post-infection RAT/culturable virus agreement study last year. There are some, not lots, but definitely enough to care about it cases where someone tests negative and then a day or two later either still has some culturable virus (and is therefore at least somewhat infectious) despite continuing to get better or has a full-on rebound. The latter happened to my wife in the middle of the three weeks around day 12. She was negative for one day and felt a lot better, then took a turn and got sick for another week.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

ah yes the totally real vaccine mandate, lol

don't threaten me with a good time

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Oldest Man posted:

is that a first?

it's happened a couple of times. usually generates amazing PMs

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

What do antivaxxers think about the smallpox vaccine? Is this something they ever address?

Because that poo poo (the virus, not the vaxx) killed between 300-500 million people in the last century of its existence, and blinded or disfigured many more. We are remarkably lucky to not have to deal with that now.

Anti-vaxxers live in my mental ignore list, but goddamn a smallpox pandemic would be a society-rending nightmare in our current state of the world.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fosborb posted:

US CDC guidelines are quarantined (stay home) for 5 days and then isolated (masked around others) for 5 days or until you no longer have symptoms, whichever is longer

if this round hit your kids already then gently caress it everyone mask off at home

I posted the study more or less confirming it earlier, but those guidelines are probably responsible for thousands of deaths from onward transmission at this point and you shouldn't trust them unless you're the CEO of a major airline. It's not the number of days since you got sick that you should care about, it's confirming yourself not infectious with serial testing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rated PG-34 posted:

I was hoping to hear a truly creative leftist/anticapitalist argument against vaccination but this is some tepid poo poo.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

I was hoping to hear a truly creative leftist/anticapitalist argument against vaccination but this is some tepid poo poo.

poking me with a needle violates the nap

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
That’s the lame thing about anti-vaxxers, 99.999% they’re just parroting stupid poo poo they heard from a lovely right wing astroturf movement, if you’re looking for real wingnut opinions it’s probably not going to happen.

Even my Claremont Institute freak in-laws got their mRNA vaccines about as fast as I did

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

in hindsight it was pretty messed up that the smallpox vaccine used to be mandated. It's not like you were guaranteed to get smallpox. And the vaccine had a distinct chance of loving you up!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

in hindsight it was pretty messed up that the smallpox vaccine used to be mandated. It's not like you were guaranteed to get smallpox. And the vaccine had a distinct chance of loving you up!

Vaccination mandate? But I thought you said variolation mandate!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
My buddy’s dad got absolutely rocked by the smallpox vaccine when he was mandated to get it as a Naval officer. Vaccine injuries are real, but the worst people ever wave them around to support their bullshit points.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Hot off the presses- Yale Medicine’s study on using paxlovid to treat people with PASC is open and accepting patients in a surprisingly broad number of states.

https://medicine.yale.edu/cii/research/paxlc-study/

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Antivaxxer shithead needs more days.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
why do you love vaccines at this point? it was an enormous bait and switch. the mRNA tech improved nothing, caused all sorts of anti vax sentiment, and we shitcanned things like novavax because politicians wanted their Pfizer stock to go up

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

nexous posted:

why do you love vaccines at this point? it was an enormous bait and switch. the mRNA tech improved nothing, caused all sorts of anti vax sentiment, and we shitcanned things like novavax because politicians wanted their Pfizer stock to go up

Come on man.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

nexous posted:

sometimes the person at the pharmacy doing the injections is a cute girl

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

nexous posted:

well fewer people die when they take it so that's pretty nice

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

please help, friends. hosting a baby shower for my wife’s coworker. she ate lunch yesterday with someone who tested positive this morning. trying to figure out whether my wife could be contagious already tonight. going to tell everyone regardless, but trying to decide if we need to cancel preemptively or just let folks decide. no one she works with wears a mask anyway

we can do three rapids too

blue squares has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Aug 26, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

nexous posted:

I mean, a) getting the mrna tech off the ground has enabled some pretty cool stuff like HIV vaccine candidates and even if the industry and regulatory apparatus is dead set on loving it up right now, it's a very worthwhile technology, and b) it didn't cause poo poo, garbage public health policy and a general slide into late capitalism institutional decrepitude are causing antivax sentiment. Plus the whole "probably saved like a million lives give or take" thing.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Not really gonna get into it cause I promised myself I’d spend most of my day thinking about robot carnage playing Armored Core 6 instead of COVID, but the mRNA vaccines prevented an absolutely insane amount of hospitalizations and deaths. We should be getting them to more countries, and should have done so 3 years ago.

I can’t make decisions for politicians, but I can and did make mRNA vaccine tech better, like being stable at room temperature.

“We have the tools” (but we don’t use them because of rich assholes) is the central thesis of this thread.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

A million people who are still alive is a a good thing imo, pretty hot takes coming out here

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

nexous posted:

pretending the vaccines haven't helped at all is loving deranged

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Not blaming the electrostatic filtering textile guys for public health fuckups and failures to deploy their work right either you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

nexous posted:

Novavax wasn't shitcanned, it's supposed to become available next month along with pfizer/moderna.

blue squares posted:

please help, friends. hosting a baby shower for my wife’s coworker. she ate lunch yesterday with someone who tested positive this morning. trying to figure out whether my wife could be contagious already tonight. going to tell everyone regardless, but trying to decide if we need to cancel preemptively or just let folks decide. no one she works with wears a mask anyway

I would personally not risk infecting anyone if I thought I had been exposed, let alone someone expecting.