Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
well, i watched gamera

never been a big fan of kaiju movies, especially the old ones, and this one is no different

weird rear end movie. lolled sometimes so i give it credit 4 that. ovni turtle wtf Lol

2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (rewatch) - good movie, a pretty solid reboot for the heisei era. honestly i prefer godzilla to gamera but he's still a fun monster. gyaos was a great villain and i die laughing everytime gamera flies. 3.5/5

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Gamera: I love Kaiju movies and this one is great. Gamera is cool, his rocket rear end is funny, and I laughed every time one of the Gyaos got obliterated. Might have to watch the rest of the Gamera movies later.

Mandy: I didn't like this one at all lol. Thought the lighting was annoying, the soundtrack was mostly just noise and didn't contribute anything, and it really dragged, especially at the beginning. Nic Cage was ok but didn't really do much. My wife said it felt like a psychedelic movie made by people who hate psychedelic movies.

Nostradingus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 26, 2023

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Finally watched Mandy today, plenty of good scenes but doesnt add up to much, i wanna rewatch heavy metal

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

elf help book posted:

Finally watched Mandy today, plenty of good scenes but doesnt add up to much, i wanna rewatch heavy metal

heavy metal kicks rear end

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

love Gamera, love kaiju, love 90s japan. really fun series, I've watched the showa movies a ton, which I think made the heisei effects and suits look really impressive by comparison. Gamera's rocket legs are always hilarious, and lmfao at the taxi driver barreling through a roadblock because he 'always wanted to do that'. I'll probably keep watching some others in the series now, really good pick!
4/5 vhs tapes

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Are y'all requiring a rewatch (probably a good idea anyway) to star or otherwise opine about a flick?

I've seen Mandy and The Wrong Guy and think they're both really good and possibly underrated.

May give Gamera a go this evening to get into the flow of the thread but I was just wondering.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Are y'all requiring a rewatch (probably a good idea anyway) to star or otherwise opine about a flick?

I've seen Mandy and The Wrong Guy and think they're both really good and possibly underrated.

May give Gamera a go this evening to get into the flow of the thread but I was just wondering.

I don't know if it's a hard rule, but it's definitely more in the spirit of things to watch them again along with everyone else

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

at worst its 2 hours out of your life revisiting something you've gotten to see before, at best you come away from the rewatch maybe picking up things you didnt notice or appreciating something you overlooked the first time

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

it's legal to post. but if the facts dont add up, i ramp.

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I love Nicolas Cage. I loved his performance in Mandy and thought he was the best part of the film hands down. He brings a lot of fun and raw emotion to this movie as he does with so many others. The movie definitely seems to prize style over substance (especially the plot) and the pacing at the beginning was rather slow. The director did very much the same thing with his episode "The Viewing" of the Guillermo del Toro horror anthology "Cabinet of Curiosities," a slow burning start drenched in surreal lighting and atmosphere, culminating in a violent finale. However, if Nicolas Cage hadn't been in Mandy I'd have not enjoyed it as much. I couldn't really get invested in the other characters and the story is a bit barebones. Still, worth a watch in my opinion, even if it's for Cage alone

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i thought Mandy absolutely whipped, probably one of the trippiest films i've ever seen and i kinda want to call it demonic too at that. some amazing composition shots and the entire surreal nature of the color & lighting that was used was fantastic. even if Nic Cage wasn't the lead i think i still may have enjoyed it but yeah seconding the ppl that said he's a godly physical actor, some of his facial expressions especially during the ending scenes were harrowing and his extended grief breakdown felt so real. he absolutely elevated it and between this+Willy's Wonderland i think i just need more movies that get fully carried by him just going psycho vigilante mode on anything that moves lol. the sound design too, all the dark ambient stuff really amplified how drug-laced the camerawork felt+the use of silence otherwise like Nic wordlessly screaming as Mandy burns to death was great. of course the dialogue was whatever and there feels like a lot of fat to trim at the beginning and it's also kind of weird since thinking about it i don't think i'd call it a cinema classic by any means and probably won't rewatch it, but it was still really gripping and i loved it from an artsy perspective. an 8.5 sounds right to me based on that, even if the stuff i rated a bit lower so far was much more memorable and objectively better there was a je ne sais quoi with Mandy that made me really enjoy it

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

This is my second time watching Mandy and I do think I gained a lot from a second viewing. I was sort of sold on the movie being a violent action movie the first time around but you miss a lot of you're just waiting for the action to start. The whole cast does a great job at wordless character interactions not just Cage. I loved the music and visuals but a lot of it felt recycled from the director's previous movie Beyond the Black Rainbow. 4/5

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fucker please pm me your movie pick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

watched Gamera last night after a couple Frozen Margaritas and almost fell asleep, which was perfect because it reminded me of sleepovers as a kid when i would rent a godzilla film and make my friends watch them. Gamera was pretty formulaic as far as kaiju movies go, yoiu've got the mysterious ocurrences and disappearing people, the character with a mysterious connection to the monster, military and scientists butting heads. the only thing that really stnads out to me is Gamera's fireballs loving exploding anything they hit, usually the hero kaiju has to struggle a bit more. i'd rate this one below the other gamera movie I remember seein, Gamera vs. Jiger, which had a more interesting setup and plot

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think elfbot said it best when he said Mandy was a lot of good scenes that don't add up to much, I left it with the distinct feeling that I should have liked it a lot more than I actually did. I don't mean that as a slam because I did like it and I'm glad I watched it. I just felt like it was missing something that I can't quite put my finger on. The pacing was odd, a very slow start where it feels like half the film is setup, which isn't really a problem in and of itself, but then the actual revenge against the cult feels like it takes 5 minutes. On the plus side, I really enjoyed the hellish use of lighting and the really menacing ambient soundtrack. Lots of cool shots like the biker gang seeming to appear out of thin air while the blue light in Red's cabin is flickering, or the cult member offered as sacrifice being dragged away into the darkness afterward. Plenty of funny little sight gags like when Red is wielding a chainsaw and running up on a cultist, who sees him coming and starts to pull his own chainsaw out from behind some machinery and the blade just keeps going and going, or lighting his cigarette on the biker's severed burning head, or Cage alternating between crying and screaming in grief and furiously chugging the liquor. As noted Cage gives a fantastic physical performance throughout. I was also glad to see Bill Duke again, been a long time since I've seen him in something.

I want to reiterate that I did like this movie, because I know I led with my misgivings about it and that probably makes it sound like I was more negative on it than I really am. I just can't shake the feeling that it doesn't quite add up to the sum of its parts. It does leave me wanting to check out the director's other movie Beyond the Black Rainbow and seeing what I think of that. When I bought this movie it was in a two-pack with The Color Out Of Space, which I'd recommend if you're craving more of Nicolas Cage losing his mind while a bunch of otherworldly neon lights and foreboding score flash at him.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Aug 28, 2023

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lmfao, first time seeing spoilers on a desktop

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
oh hell yeah
gonna do the symbolic strat and pick a movie i havent seen b4 so i get an excuse to watch it
tried picking something that seems cool but is obscure enough that only roth and maybe 2 other ppl already watched

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

oh hell yeah
gonna do the symbolic strat and pick a movie i havent seen b4 so i get an excuse to watch it
tried picking something that seems cool but is obscure enough that only roth and maybe 2 other ppl already watched

man of steel rewatch

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Left field pick from Fucker but an exciting one.

Le Samouraï - dir. by Jean-Pierre Melville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuhPR3xeJm0

quote:

After professional hitman Jef Costello is seen by witnesses his efforts to provide himself an alibi drive him further into a corner.

This film expires on 9/11. Yeesh.

Le Samouraï can be seen on Max and Criterion Channel for US viewers.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

sick movie. great pick

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sweet, this one’s been on my watchlist forever but I haven’t gotten around to it. Looking forward to it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fucker pulling a 9/11 on us

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well Fucker was right, I have seen that movie.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Thread title won't let me include ï. Might want to pick a different movie

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

oh poo poo good pick

lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
drat looking forward to this, like Chuck it's been on my watchlist for some time.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

herculon posted:

Thread title won't let me include ï. Might want to pick a different movie

Lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

copy
Jul 26, 2007

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe was pretty cool. Not my favorite kaiju movie but certainly in the upper tiers of them, I think. Nothing I love more than a guy in a rubber costume kicking over a bunch of scale-model buildings. The modernized designs for Gamera and Gyaos were cool, the human characters were likable and I never really felt like they slowed down the movie too much, which is a trap plenty of lesser kaiju films fall into.

I loved the shots of Gyaos nesting on top of the knocked-over Tokyo Tower. I wonder if it was intended as an homage to Mothra making her cocoon in the similarly-knocked over Tower in her debut movie?

Making Gamera a manmade genetically-engineered monster designed to take out Gyaos so they could explain the rocket legs flying saucer thing was so funny to me since in the original 1965 Gamera he just did that without explanation. It's just something he can do.

My only real complaint is that the end of the fight felt kind of abrupt, you have the sick space dive but that doesn't finish either of them off and then Gamera just kind of blows up the Gyaos with a fireball like it did the other two. But like a slightly bigger fireball than usual since the girl's dad lent her his power.

Fun film, 3.5/5 but tempted to give it a 4.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Punished Chuck posted:

I loved the shots of Gyaos nesting on top of the knocked-over Tokyo Tower. I wonder if it was intended as an homage to Mothra making her cocoon in the similarly-knocked over Tower in her debut movie?

yeah those shots were really cool, the miniatures in general looked amazing

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
it made gyaos such a heel to gently caress with the tokyo tower too culturally speaking that mustve really cemented gyaos as not just a random rampaging monster but actually evil to the japanese lol

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
like before that you can still sort of imagine its just trying to be a giant monster in the human world giant monsters gotta eat so i didnt think it deserved its moniker as the Shadow of Evil but then the tokyo tower lol

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Le Samourai is about as cool as it is possible for a movie to be, nice pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
im all set up to watch le samourai but i think im going to watch the third gamera film tonight and then watch la samourai tomorrow :coolslime: