Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

alf_pogs posted:

dumb monster fun! not his best but not terrible

Its perfectly servicable b movie fair. Doesn't do anything original but a decent enough horror monster mash that it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Engagement post of the day on Bluesky was "What is the best part three of a horror franchise?" and drat, there are some bangers to pick from:
  • Exorcist III
  • Dream Warriors
  • Army of Darkness
  • Day of the Dead
  • Purge: Election Year

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

All great movies but the Exorcist is simply the winner

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Asking me to choose between Army of Darkness and Exorcist 3 is like trying to decide which of my non existent children I choose to get cancer

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm a big Day Of The Dead fan.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
choosing between dream warriors and day of the dead is the tough part for me, but my instinct says give it to Day

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Season of the god-drat Witch.

Also Final Destination 3 has one of the best kills of the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_AeKsEj9VM

(Exorcist 3 is my pick though)

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 26, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tough choice for me between Saw 3 and Exorcist 3. My answer might change after September, and it might change again after October

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nightmare 3 as I've said many times in the thread is both my favorite Nightmare and one of my favorite horror movies so it's gonna win for me. And while I don't like Halloween 3 more than the original I do love how unique it is and it has such a great aesthetic and incredible ending.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Predator 2 is the sweatiest movie

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Exorcist III took that series into a place you didn’t think it would go and it’s a masterpiece. I also adore Dream Warriors but that’s more of an escalation of a theme into it’s most bombastic form. I mean there are a lot of great options but it’s Exorcist for me.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 26, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Final Destinations 2 and 5 are both massively better. 3 doesn't even have Bludworth!! :kratos:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I like 3 more than 2 and 5. 3 has a bit more of the existential dread stuff that I really like from one that most of the sequels dropped.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Season of the god-drat Witch.

(Exorcist 3 is my pick though)

That's pretty good.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Snooze Cruise posted:

I like 3 more than 2 and 5. 3 has a bit more of the existential dread stuff that I really like from one that most of the sequels dropped.
2 leans all the way into utterly sadistic glee, like Death's Design was being piloted by a gremlin. 5 is just really solid and actually adds to the lore rather than just resetting to one and forcing us (and the protagonists) to clumsily google screenshots of previous movies' victims in the second act.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Finally getting some use out of my Shudder subscription and am now checking out The Mortuary Collection 2019.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Finally getting some use out of my Shudder subscription and am now checking out The Mortuary Collection 2019.

I thought this was pretty good

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

It’s good, fun wrap around and Clancy Brown was clearly having a great time.

Edit: forgot that was the penis birth one. great segment lol

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 26, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

All horror anthologies are good and wonderful except The Boneyard Collection.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hahahaha that 2nd loving segment of Mortuary Collection is worth the price of admission.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Engagement post of the day on Bluesky was "What is the best part three of a horror franchise?" and drat, there are some bangers to pick from:
  • Exorcist III
  • Dream Warriors
  • Army of Darkness
  • Day of the Dead

This is a mega tough call between Exorcist 3 and Day of the Dead.

I think I have to give it up to Exorcist 3. No one in those other movies is holding a candle to what George C Scott and Brad Dourif are putting down.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shrecknet posted:

• Exorcist III
  • Dream Warriors
  • Army of Darkness
  • Day of the Dead

What, no Howling 3 : The Marsupials?

At least give it a Best Thylacine award or something.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
This discussion has pinged on my October Challenge radar.

Reminder that my PMs are open for Challenge ideas, we still have about a month to make final decisions!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

What, no Howling 3 : The Marsupials?

At least give it a Best Thylacine award or something.

I was gonna say "What's Carnifex, chopped liver?" but I remembered that's a thylacoleo not a thylacine

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Chris James 2 posted:

Sunday is Cinema Day (tickets are $4 all day), so yeah poo poo is gonna be especially packed this weekend

The $4 price also includes premium showings such as IMAX, XD, DBOX, 3D..etc. Some theaters are also doing a discount on concessions too.

Going from presale numbers by me, looks like this is going to be bigger than the last Cinema Day they did.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

For anyone in LA with Spectrum, “Gargoyles” is showing on KCOPDT3 right now.

It’s a lovely early 70s horror flick but it terrified us kids back then, and I have fond memories of the film.

First thing I ever saw Scott Glenn in, and Bernie Casey plays King Gargoyle.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

WeaponX posted:

It’s good, fun wrap around and Clancy Brown was clearly having a great time.

Edit: forgot that was the penis birth one. great segment lol
Man this was just a blast. Absolutely top-tier IMO, the wraparound segment is juuuuust a little overindulgent, but you know what? Ryan Spindell earns it, and I really enjoyed almost all of this. The third story (Tell-Tale Heart redux) was a little rough, but the others were just lights-out, congealing the best of Raimi and Dante into one perfect little package. Not sure what the period-piece of the early 70s had to do with anything, just felt like it needlessly complicated things, but it was appreciated.

Did anyone else notice the shattered husband was the other guard in the TV interview, signaling maybe he and the other 'guard' were escaped nutcases who stole some uniforms

Clancy Brown channeling Angus Scrimm was megafun.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 26, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

• Exorcist III
  • Dream Warriors
  • Army of Darkness
  • Day of the Dead

All great movies but it’s Dream Warriors and it’s not close

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Army of darkness changed my life so going with that one lol

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Shrecknet posted:

• Exorcist III
  • Dream Warriors
  • Army of Darkness
  • Day of the Dead

lol, I love how absolutely no one in the thread has gone with The Purge: Election Year.

It's a very close tie between Day of the Dead and Army of Darkness for me. Day is very well-made but kinda depressing, while Army of Darkness is a lot of fun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
About two years ago someone recommended I watch Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon and I added it to my watchlist and promptly forgot about it. Watched it this morning and man I am sorry I waited, that poo poo was great. So many horror easter eggs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SilentChaz posted:

lol, I love how absolutely no one in the thread has gone with The Purge: Election Year.

i mean, look at the competition. Election Year is definitely the best Purge movie though.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I am hard in on the Purge franchise but asking me if Election Year is better than Army of Darkness is a big ask.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Medullah posted:

About two years ago someone recommended I watch Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon and I added it to my watchlist and promptly forgot about it. Watched it this morning and man I am sorry I waited, that poo poo was great. So many horror easter eggs.

It's a strong rewatch, too! It's such a fun, clever little piece and it's crazy that it's from 2006. Leslie Vernon is such a great character.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SilentChaz posted:

Election Year is in fact really great, but it's like asking who's the best hitter of the 90s and then including Juan Gonzalez. Like, yeah, he was really good, but we're talking Griffey, Thomas, Gwynn, Bonds here so it kinda gets lost in the shuffle. FWIW, it's the best Purge movie by a lot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got the blu ray from the dollar tree about a year ago and it’s been sitting in my car lol. I’ve never seen it so maybe I should crack it open

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Purge as a concept is iconic, but The Purge: Election Year is the only one that has iconic scenes in my opinion (the bits with the Miley Cyrus girl gang and the gang of euro murder tourists)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah the series is fun but there’s nothing that really jumps out as a moment that is embedded in horror canon besides maybe the purge announcement message.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The Purge as a concept is iconic, but The Purge: Election Year is the only one that has iconic scenes in my opinion (the bits with the Miley Cyrus girl gang and the gang of euro murder tourists)

Sorry, don't recall a single scene from Election Year. Meanwhile The First Purge just cuts to the chase:

The War On Staten Island is pretty much the only memorable event of the whole series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sorry, don't recall a single scene from Election Year.

if you don't remember either of the scenes i mentioned then you're definitely due for a rewatch