Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Just getting settled in today. Finished the Nostalgia Nights drive and drag event last night, riding copilot with my cousin. Finished 2nd place in Small Block Power Adder. Was a lot of fun, we just had a failed suspension on our convertible motorcycle trailer causing a cut tire to deal with. Met a lot of great people and drove around country roads with a lot of cool cars.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Z6k2YgP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Ugh, rotated my tires today on the 4runner. Have a small slash in the upper part of my sidewall on one. Guessing it was from a sharp rock at some point up in the mountains. These terra grappler g2s have 40k miles on them but still have 7.5mm of tread depth.

Also looked at my brakes which were squeaking. It's an 08 which lived in the Midwest for a few years. In 2015 right before moving out to Seattle, I was fed up with pulsating brakes so I replaced everything (all 4 calipers, rotors and pads). I also used larger front calipers from a 2015 which bolt right on and have fewer issues sticking. Rears are the same.

Flash forward to 2023, everything is rusted again which is interesting because cars don't generally rust out here. My rear calipers have rusty pistons and they're sticking on one side causing the pads to wear faster than the other three wheels. I've also used a thermometer to check the heat and it's clear I have a dragging caliper.

So I'm going to order two rear calipers, rotors and pads. I'll likely replace it in the next few years so it just needs to last until then.

I also refreshed my headlights which was very impressive. They started fogging up last year so I got a 3m kit and they look much better. Again, I just need it to last a year or two.

I also noticed water coming from my rear hatch yesterday after I ran through the car wash. I got home and took the panel off to discover a thick layer of mud and pine needles on the bottom of the inside of my rear hatch door. There are three small holes for water to drain and they were completely plugged. Stuff inside the hatch is starting to rust from trapped moisture. I cleaned it all out and ordered a new weatherstrip which should keep the needles out.

I'm at a point where I'm losing the battle against rust. I love this car but I've put off replacing my cv axles for a few years now because the rust is going to be a bitch. Replacing suspension required cutting almost all the fasteners off.

I want a new car (either another 4 runner or Tacoma) that's rust free and will never set foot on salted roads.

God and I haven't even looked into the ac issue yet in both the 4 runner or the Prius.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

First oil change on the 4Runner yesterday, wife did most of the wrenching and I walked her through the process. Labeled everything with torque values for next time.

Then we went and got ice cream!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Oh boy time to slay some cones with the NC!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
new tire day yesterday. well, rears anyway

good thing too, cause it rained today lmao

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Mounted!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Raluek posted:

new tire day yesterday. well, rears anyway

good thing too, cause it rained today lmao

drat near ghost read there, son. Got your dollars' worth out of that pair.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Kosmos posted:

I'm using what I have now and move then afterwards to something more suitable.

I didn't have anything so just bought an official Nano. First foray into microprocessors, much less Arduino. I'll probably buy some clones from Amazon for the actual installation.

quote:

Slowly building an electronic gauges for Saab 99, have issues with the speedo and there's no new speedo cables available. The easiest option is of course to build it from the ground up. :haw:

Obviously.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Test fitted the new wheels and calipers on the S6, I think this will do nicely.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh that's lovely :allears:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Did plugs on the 330i today. Easier than the M3 since there's no charge pipes in the way.

I did clean up the engine bay a bit after this pic. It's kind of nasty.

I don't think the plugs look too bad but I'm no expert on that. Around 20k miles over the recommended replacement interval.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Well I am pretty bummed, I had planned to take the 383 to the dyno this past saturday. but when I was trying to set the valve lash I found I couldn't roll the motor all the way over. After much fussing and trying different things I found that #5 rod was hitting the cam. In order to rule out something weird with the cam I put a stock cam in and same thing. So now I have to take it back to the machine shop so they can clearance the rod.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
holy poo poo that sucks, i feel for ya

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

fknlo posted:

Did plugs on the 330i today. Easier than the M3 since there's no charge pipes in the way.

I did clean up the engine bay a bit after this pic. It's kind of nasty.

I don't think the plugs look too bad but I'm no expert on that. Around 20k miles over the recommended replacement interval.

wow gently caress you, go find a 12-point spark plug socket. It's always something with german cars.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

chrisgt posted:

wow gently caress you, go find a 12-point spark plug socket. It's always something with german cars.

holy poo poo, I didn't notice that. Silly.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

chrisgt posted:

It's generally brought up in the DIY's with a buy one of these spark plug sockets at least!

I hadn't even thought about it, I'll have to make sure I have a regular plug socket when I get around to doing the Prius. It's going to my girl's oldest since he just started driving and I'm gonna make him do it. He watched while I did them on the 330. Just trying to get him some base repair knowledge if nothing else. That poo poo will come in handy when he hits the broke as gently caress point in his life.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

fknlo posted:

That poo poo will come in handy when he hits the broke as gently caress point in his life.

I finally got out of that after years and years, i'm still not sure how to be a proper adult; so now i just have nine broken shitboxes instead of one.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

chrisgt posted:

It also needs a wobble end because the spark plug and access tube aren't aligned.

You can buy a passable one for $12 or a good one for $20, it's a rounding error on the cost of maintaining a modern BMW.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SlapActionJackson posted:

It also needs a wobble end because the spark plug and access tube aren't aligned.

You can buy a passable one for $12 or a good one for $20, it's a rounding error on the cost of maintaining a modern BMW.

It's actually doable without the wobble extension. You can definitely tell they're aligned differently though. The B48 seemed to be less off than the S55 I think?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

fknlo posted:

It's actually doable without the wobble extension. You can definitely tell they're aligned differently though. The B48 seemed to be less off than the S55 I think?

You'll scratch the coil/plug bores of the N55 without a wobble, but I suppose it's technically doable without.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

chrisgt posted:

I finally got out of that after years and years, i'm still not sure how to be a proper adult; so now i just have nine broken shitboxes instead of one.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got the transmission fluid changed on the 330i today. There's a great how to from FCP Euro that covers the process for the ZF8 very well. Fairly easy overall outside of it being 400 degrees outside and then getting to pump fluid next to the exhaust while the car is running. I only got 4-4.5 quarts in but that's apparently fairly common. I did all the steps for the secondary fill twice just to make sure I got enough in. The best part was when the dump line for the a/c started pouring out water. It's naturally right above the fill port for the transmission so it makes you think there's a really bad leak :v:

It was honestly better looking than I thought it would be. No record of it being changed so that's 80k mile fluid.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 25, 2023

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Finally got and installed a light bar on the Chrysler.

Half-assed the whole thing and made a couple speed holes also, but taped them up. Saving those badboys for the track days.
The mounts aren't symmetrical, cause I used premade holes made for the weatherstripping. Then had to 3D print "risers" cause the lamp was pointing to the ground at first. The grey parts under the mounts. The angle and roundness of the hood really hosed up everything.
Yeah, that was... job well done.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I removed the left front indicator light housing, so I could get at a wrench extension I dropped into the front wheel wheel... a week ago. Been rattling around in there.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I turned a wrench for the first time in a long time today, just a regular tune up, but I had a rusted bolt that needed PB blaster and it felt good

I did also try to troubleshoot the rear window regulator that failed this spring and found out that the door isn't from my car. Really good paint job on it though

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I was wondering why the cold start was so loud on the MX-5. Turns out the lightweight muffler gasket needed to be beefed up.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Went to U-pull this morning and got some replacement wire pigtails for my buddy's mice eaten corolla project. All the fenders and bumpers were stripped already, unfortunately. Gonna have to watch their inventory list daily and run out there the second they get a new one in.

Also grabbed a seatbelt reel for my neighbor's volvo, I hated seeing them run around with no belt. Both for the ticket risk and the safety.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

Gonna have to watch their inventory list daily and run out there the second they get a new one in.

I dealt with this at my local yards when I had an e30, some cars get jumped on immediately, or whoever is selling it to the yard will pick off what they need before getting rid of it. Alerts and getting there ASAP are the only options I ever found.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

boxen posted:

I dealt with this at my local yards when I had an e30, some cars get jumped on immediately, or whoever is selling it to the yard will pick off what they need before getting rid of it. Alerts and getting there ASAP are the only options I ever found.

yeah don't bother checking the site daily, set up some email alerts with row52.

for stuff that's hard to find, i also added the row52 email address to my VIP list on my phone, which is set to play an alert and put a notification on the lockscreen when i receive one. i don't always check my email in the morning, so this ensures i notice it.

that said, other people use the same alerts, so when something is universally sought-after (LS motors like 10 years ago, for example) there will be a handful of pros in line at the doors before the yard opens, and they'll get there before you. at least that was my experience lol

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's excellent advice, thanks you guys. And yeah this is generic 10 year old corolla and there are a billion of them, but it'll be interesting to see if we can score the parts. I'm working from home so I check my email multiple times a day, and if they got a matching color one I could theoretically take a break from work to go raid it 15 minutes later. And even if not I could for sure go hit it at 4 PM.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Washed it.

Had to steal the battery out of the Mazda, but it fired up pretty much immediately after shoving a blast of ether down its throat. Transmission's still kinda "whooshy" in reverse so I probably need to top off the fluid after it spent so long pissing it all over my garage floor. Eh, I'll get to it.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Washed it.

Had to steal the battery out of the Mazda, but it fired up pretty much immediately after shoving a blast of ether down its throat. Transmission's still kinda "whooshy" in reverse so I probably need to top off the fluid after it spent so long pissing it all over my garage floor. Eh, I'll get to it.

do a burnout.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

More dump trailer stuff.

Would any of you be surprised if I told you the harbor freight winch I installed stopped working? Of course not.

For some reason they put the relay and wireless receiver in a not waterproof box just a foot or so from the winch. I totally forgot about this for the last 6 weeks and went to use the trailer - the battery was stone dead. Strange I think, since I have a solar panel on it that keeps that battery charged. Then I see the winch won't work with the jump pack on the battery. Turned out the entire winch "control box" and the relay inside of it also are full of water. Battery was dead shorted thorough the relay and was stone dead. Looked like only one or two cells would take a charge. Fortunately deep cycle batteries didn't double in price like automotive ones for some reason.

So on to the fix. I made a new harness out of a Cisco 6500 series DC power supply cable because that's the kind of thing that's laying around here. It's 6 gauge 2 conductor exceptionally high quality stuff. While I was doing that I wanted to fix some other usage problems I found since first mounting it. Namely it needed to be able to get detached quickly. So I made a lead in with a powerpole on it:

Now I can disconnect that for removing the winch, for just storing things or using the tarp while the winch is on......it's long enough to tilt the bed while it's on there which could be useful for loading dead machines.

And I found that there are plenty of ATV winch relays available for cheap. So I got one, mounted it inside of the box with a fuse and got a handlebar-mount switch as a remote (I was not enthused with the harbor freight wireless crap anyway, I wanted this wired). Relay is in the upper right, blue coil of cable is stowed but what goes to the winch. Black cable coil + orange box is the regular dump remote and the winch remote is somewhere under there. I'm going to need to extend it since it's only about 10 feet right now, and I want probably 30 so I can be sitting on a machine behind the trailer to steer it while running the winch in.

This all took entirely too long, was wrapped up with fixing the box where it got caved in on the left side (chalk this up to the no good deed go unpunished file - let a friend borrow it and the jackknifed it and bashed that side in the their bumper) and a general oily mess inside of the box from when the top of the vent cap for the hydraulic tank popped off. And then chipmunks filled it with nuts last winter.

But that's all done and it's all ocd'd back up.

Bonus footage, the cable still has the Comcast data center power inventory tag tied to it with wax twine

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

Today I replaced rear rotors and pads on my Kia Magentis. Actually I should say that singular because after 4 hours I only got through one side.

I don't actually enjoy working on my vehicles, but I also don't enjoy spending an enormous amount of money for things that are seemingly within my capabilities. Today was a reminder to reconsider how much my time is worth.

Nothing actually went wrong technically. First real hurdle was that the second bolt holding the caliper bracket is actually behind the control arm, so that had to come out first. My buddy with an impact wrench was unavailable, so doing it by hand took a long time as I muscled and carefully tried not to break/strip anything.

The rotor removal wasn't as bad as last time I touched brakes, thanks to a new big-rear end hammer I bought. But then I got hung up on the new rotor slightly rubbing on the e-brake pads. Conclusion that I could find was the amount is normal.

Took a lot of time trying to get the new pads to slide in the bracket smoothly; they were so tight on first try! I filed the ears and tried to clean the bracket as best I could.

Putting things back together was delayed when I couldn't get the control arm bolt back in; eventually made it after much effort. Got all the way to tire mount and found an extra washer...back to redo the control arm again!

Get to do it all again tomorrow, hopefully in a little less time. Looking forward to not doing this again for a number of years.

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

3D printed seals for the carb and installed them. Realized I could print those seals that are in the end of the hoses. Dont have flexable filament anymore, so that has to wait.

Also failed the vehicle inspection.

It was the first inspection since 2011, so it was expected.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What failed it, exhaust test, something else?

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

What failed it, exhaust test, something else?

Handbrake, rust in the same place as yours, broken reverse signal, and one loose rubber buffer. Rust and the handbrake was the reason it didn't pass others are just a notification.
Don't know what's with the reverse signal, its switch is broken, but it doesn't work even if I connect the wires. Bit annoying.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Captain Kosmos posted:

Finally got and installed a light bar on the Chrysler.

Half-assed the whole thing and made a couple speed holes also, but taped them up. Saving those badboys for the track days.
The mounts aren't symmetrical, cause I used premade holes made for the weatherstripping. Then had to 3D print "risers" cause the lamp was pointing to the ground at first. The grey parts under the mounts. The angle and roundness of the hood really hosed up everything.
Yeah, that was... job well done.

What is the light bar for?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I think it might be another off-road minivan in the works. AI in its purest form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

What is the light bar for?

Dark Finnish Fall.

nitsuga posted:

I think it might be another off-road minivan in the works. AI in its purest form.
If I had the money I would be doing an off-road minivan.