Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Huh, my EV6 now has a button to use SoundHound to identify the song that's playing on the radio. Weird feature update...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Shai-Hulud posted:

Huh, my EV6 now has a button to use SoundHound to identify the song that's playing on the radio. Weird feature update...

That wasn't there before? My 2017 has that. Half the time it "listens" for 10 seconds, then says "service not available".

edit: If you put the car in park, it has a lyrics mode, too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I saw one drive past me last week. Rear visibility looked lovely.

Does anyone care about rear visibility in modern car design? If they do, why? What do you need to see back there besides maybe a car coming up behind you?

For parking, backup cameras are really, really good now, for everything else the wing mirrors should have you covered.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Elviscat posted:

Does anyone care about rear visibility in modern car design? If they do, why? What do you need to see back there besides maybe a car coming up behind you?

For parking, backup cameras are really, really good now, for everything else the wing mirrors should have you covered.

The car coming behind you scenario is important and driving like mr magoo, ignoring everything not visible in the side mirrors, is bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Driving a car with good visibility out the rear and side rear especially (rare now that C pillars are massive for rollover protection) is awesome for parking when there are spots the cameras don’t cover well.

I learned to drive on a volvo 740 and that was like a glass fishbowl of visibility, it rules.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elviscat posted:

my backup camera fails every once in a while and window/mirror visibility is bad enough I feel like I just have to have faith nothing got in my way since I was last able to check a spot

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Lucid Air. Anybody here have experience with one?

I've seen a couple of them up close, they're real neat on the inside. Didn't actually drive one, though.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

You need to see behind you to smugly look back upon the defeated husk of someone with not quite enough acceleration to beat you on the on-ramp. (I may have said to my wife “I’m going to have to show up this BMW” while out for dinner last night [yes I know I’m a jerk sometimes])

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Lucid Air. Anybody here have experience with one?

If it were my money I’d get one of the low mileage BMW iX leases instead of the Lucid. BMW is cheaper and more likely to be around by the time the lease is over.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah that’d be my main concern with buying a Lucid or even a Rivian, if they’re going to be around long term. Most likely if they did fail a bigger car company would acquire their assets and servicing but it could be a little bit of a risk.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Just went on our first longer drive with the id4 - ABRP said we would get to our destination with ~12% but ended up with 33%. ABRP home journey says if we leave with 80% we should get home at 9%. Seems doable, especially considering heading home is mostly downhill.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

That wasn't there before? My 2017 has that. Half the time it "listens" for 10 seconds, then says "service not available".

edit: If you put the car in park, it has a lyrics mode, too.

Your 2017 EV6?

But no it seems to be part of a recent OTA update. Explains the " hey we've changed out license agreement" popup I've been getting.

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 26, 2023

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Shai-Hulud posted:

Your 2017 EV6?

Kia Soul. It is the same software

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Might also be regional thing. I think updates and software are handled differently in the US and Europe.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, that's a pretty big difference I overlooked.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just got back from the first LEAF/Bolt club meeting. We drank beer, talked about heat pumps, and compared SOH.

My 2017 LEAF is at 76% SOH. The two 2015s present were in the high 80s. drat, that 30kWh battery really sucks.

Also, nobody's selling, so it looks like I have to rent a gas car for 6 weeks. Feels like defeat.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cruft posted:

Just got back from the first LEAF/Bolt club meeting. We drank beer, talked about heat pumps, and compared SOH.

My 2017 LEAF is at 76% SOH. The two 2015s present were in the high 80s. drat, that 30kWh battery really sucks.

Also, nobody's selling, so it looks like I have to rent a gas car for 6 weeks. Feels like defeat.

"Your knees hurtin too?" "Yup"

"How's the old dog?" "Ain't movin like she used to"

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

"Your knees hurtin too?" "Yup"

"How's the old dog?" "Ain't movin like she used to"

Yeah, a bit of that, too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cruft posted:

Oh hey, I heard you were looking for a Nissan Leaf, I know someone who's selling one.

Tiny Timbs posted:

my backup camera fails every once in a while and window/mirror visibility is bad enough I feel like I just have to have faith nothing got in my way since I was last able to check a spot

What??? Get it fixed. My Bolt has three.

Always amused by the cheapo Bolt's rearview cameras absolutely obliterating the much more expensive ID.4's in terms of quality.

SlowBloke posted:

The car coming behind you scenario is important and driving like mr magoo, ignoring everything not visible in the side mirrors, is bad.

I've ridden motorcycles like 100,000 miles with just side view mirrors, they're fine for looking behind you. Also, the little tank slit window lets you see cars approaching from the rear just fine.

Wait 'till you guys see the new Polestar 4.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Polestars are definitely cars you could picture rolling around in Cyberpunk2077

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Motorcycles normally have a pretty good rearward view when you turn and look behind you.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Elviscat posted:

Always amused by the cheapo Bolt's rearview cameras absolutely obliterating the much more expensive ID.4's in terms of quality.

The rear view mirror camera is also super good even at night in rain, when the window itself is tricky to see through. Wish the display was physically a little higher up though.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I wish Kia took a page out of VWs or Mercedes book with the rear view camera on the EV6 and would hide it when not in use. I've made it a habit to wipe over the camera when walking behind the car cause otherwise a slight rain makes it pretty much unusable.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Idk about Kias but on lots of cars they can squirt windscreen washer fluid at the rear camera. On mine you have to stab a finger at an onscreen icon to get it to do that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Oh hey, I heard you were looking for a Nissan Leaf, I know someone who's selling one.

What??? Get it fixed. My Bolt has three.

There’s nothing for me to fix, it’s some dumb software glitch that goes away when the car does an extended reboot.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I want you to know that I actually considered this for about 20 seconds.

Tiny Timbs posted:

There’s nothing for me to fix, it’s some dumb software glitch that goes away when the car does an extended reboot.

I hate computers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The best part is that the car has several different types of reboots and the only one that works is the one where you lock the doors and leave the car alone for some undefined period of time. I tried pulling the fuse once and even that wouldn’t do it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Hahaha, what the gently caress.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I love turning the car off and on again to see if it fixed the issues.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Reversing cameras are great, but you need to be aware of their blindspots. Specifically anything above the camera.

I learnt that the hard way when I reversed a rental car into a parking spot with an overhanging concrete beam at the back.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
This is why im dreading my conversion to EV for nextcar.

“Lets take everything everyone hates about lovely phone apps and make that the core of how all the car software works! Reboot the car to make the backup cameras work! Reboot the car to make the blind spot sensors work! Reboot the car to make the hvac controls work!”

I swear to god im just gonna use a bluetooth speaker with my phone rather than loving around with spending 5 minutes to maybe sometimes get android auto working every time i get in the car.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

fresh_cheese posted:

“Lets take everything everyone hates about lovely phone apps and make that the core of how all the car software works! Reboot the car to make the backup cameras work! Reboot the car to make the blind spot sensors work! Reboot the car to make the hvac controls work!”

I swear to god im just gonna use a bluetooth speaker with my phone rather than loving around with spending 5 minutes to maybe sometimes get android auto working every time i get in the car.

At some point people are going to install cassette tape players in their cars and run a tape adapter to their phone (with a USB to 3.5mm adapter too)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
It obviously depends on the manufacturer, but in my experience non-EV cars have just as many stupid quirks, and in general, quality-of-life is simply better in a modern EV.

My car doesn't have wireless Android Auto, but I bought a wireless dongle for it, and it works perfectly every time. I turn the car on, they connect automatically, Google Maps displays , and whatever media I was last playing (music or podcast) starts up. I don't take my phone out of my pocket unless the trip is far enough that I'd want to charge it (wireless AA drains a ton of battery).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fresh_cheese posted:

Any ICE car that isn't poverty spec will require the same amount of bullshit. Very few manufacturer are making bespoke infotainment systems, it's always the same poo poo from the same five or so OEM. Which can and will eventually require a battery pull to get back back to fully operational.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

It obviously depends on the manufacturer, but in my experience non-EV cars have just as many stupid quirks, and in general, quality-of-life is simply better in a modern EV.

My car doesn't have wireless Android Auto, but I bought a wireless dongle for it, and it works perfectly every time. I turn the car on, they connect automatically, Google Maps displays , and whatever media I was last playing (music or podcast) starts up. I don't take my phone out of my pocket unless the trip is far enough that I'd want to charge it (wireless AA drains a ton of battery).

Yeah my truck has pulled the same poo poo so I don’t think of it as an EV thing, just a modern car thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SlowBloke posted:

Any ICE car that isn't poverty spec will require the same amount of bullshit. Very few manufacturer are making bespoke infotainment systems, it's always the same poo poo from the same five or so OEM. Which can and will eventually require a battery pull to get back back to fully operational.

and historically while some of these problems had simpler solutions, a lot of them did not! if your HVAC controls got hosed, you're going to the shop. yeah rebooting the thing is annoying but it beats the gently caress out of taking it in.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013
I'm quite happy with my Haval. I don't need to restart it to make anything work. Android/Apple auto is nice and reliable, wirelessly or wired.

The rear/side cameras and sensors are contextually aware enough to know when to pop up and when not to. They are always clean, somehow. Not sure what technology is used to do that. The car also has great sensors to scream at me when I'm reversing or rounding a corner and a car or child is suddenly headed my way.

It has physical buttons for the important stuff and/or as a shortcut to the right screen. Still too much reliance on touch screen stuff though, but not as bad as some other cars.

I guess some manufacturers are better at handling these modern cellphone influenced design choices than others, and yeah it's just new cars, ICE or not.

When GWM EVs come to my country I'll probably buy in soon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SlowBloke posted:

The FiST is my first push-button start car, and it's such a pain. Like, having a prox key that I can keep in my pocket is nice, and I'd say it's a nice convenience 99% of the time

but when I was having battery/electrical issues a few months ago I was wishing for it to be a key starter

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Re: Infotainment

My hot take is terrible infotainment systems is not something being forced on consumers, it is something that consumers are forcing car companies to do even though they hate it.

I know this is going to shock all of you, but I am kind of a technology early adopter and even with that, going into the setting menu in my car overwhelms me.

But I look at the overwhelming number of settings and think to myself, yes, these are all settings that consumers are going to be highly opinionated about and I don't know a better way of doing. Even stuff like lane departure, does the car tell you at all, does it just alert you or does it correct for you. My father would absolutely loving lose his poo poo if his car tried to override his steering because he was crossing the lane divider on a highway ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Yea my ideal car is something in the region of 70s MGB / 70s Corvette or mid 80s BMW if i gotta bring more than one person with me.

Too bad i live in salts-ville and anything i like is going to get eaten in 3 seasons up here.