Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

OctaMurk posted:

Turn the malls into apartments and condos please

BRJurgis posted:

:yeah:

Less consumerism, more affordable housing.

In addition to the fact that the buildings aren't well suited to it, you'd also have to sell people on the idea that they don't need things like fresh air and windows. Those can be had, but only by adding even more cost to renovating the building - again, making it economically unfeasible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

OneMoreTime posted:

I mean, I was literally about to post about the same mall. It's a good mall man

I mean same, I also like Crossroads.

Northgate really wants to be a Good Mall but I don't trust Simon to make... decisions. It'll be luxury apartments by 2027 with no real retail in sight.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

the_steve posted:

I saw a headline the other day about Century 3 mall in Pittsburgh the other day, where the city is trying to tear it down since it's been completely shutdown and vacant for a number of years now, but whatever investment group that owns the building is fighting them on it, or something to that effect.
Yes there is one mall in Cincinnati that has been abandoned for like 20 years now but the process to demolish the mall has stalled, because the city doesn't want to have to pay for the demo and they have been fighting the property owners in court.

Century III is kind of one of the legendary dead malls because of its size. The other one is Cincinnati Mills which is extremely large.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
But remember that even though malls are failing all over the country, the mall that just failed in San Francisco is wholly due to liberal lax-on-crime policies that have turned SF into a dystopian hellhole.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It’s one of those things where you almost wish you could set up encampments in them; they would be horrible and dangerous but at least people would be indoors. But, you can’t really have the government endorse something as rough as that would be, even if it is technically harm reduction. And it’s 0% of an actual solution to homelessness, so you would hate for people to think they’ve actually accomplished anything beyond preventing some frostbite.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

It’s one of those things where you almost wish you could set up encampments in them; they would be horrible and dangerous but at least people would be indoors. But, you can’t really have the government endorse something as rough as that would be, even if it is technically harm reduction. And it’s 0% of an actual solution to homelessness, so you would hate for people to think they’ve actually accomplished anything beyond preventing some frostbite.

If the local government had the legal authority to establish a private property as a squatter camp, then they would've had the authority to condemn the building in the first place.

It's not like the adversarial property owner would be against one but fine with the other.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Turn all malls into indoor gyms and recreation areas for teens. Basically what they are now but less selling.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Push El Burrito posted:

Turn all malls into indoor gyms and recreation areas for teens. Basically what they are now but less selling.

I went to the Seatac mall a while ago while waiting for phone battery replacement and the only people there at noon were me and a bunch of elderly mall walkers getting their steps in.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

In addition to the fact that the buildings aren't well suited to it, you'd also have to sell people on the idea that they don't need things like fresh air and windows. Those can be had, but only by adding even more cost to renovating the building - again, making it economically unfeasible.

if my neck of the woods (calgary) is any indication, it seems more cost-effective to just smash the mall to the ground and build five-over-ones over it instead

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quixzlizx posted:

If the local government had the legal authority to establish a private property as a squatter camp, then they would've had the authority to condemn the building in the first place.

It's not like the adversarial property owner would be against one but fine with the other.
Oh yeah, of course, I was speaking generally, not specifically about malls set to be demolished. That is to say, a mall that isn't blocking any further development and was basically not of any use to anybody could be used for last-resort shelter. Regulatory nightmare though, and ethically not black-and-white.

Push El Burrito posted:

The building I live in was abandoned from like, 1965-1985, between the factory closing and its residential conversion, and was used by teens to hang out in during that time. My friend's mom says it was really fun.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Shrecknet posted:

Malls don't work for being repurposed that way, they lack a lot of the wiring/piping for it to make sense, so you'd basically have to totally tear them down, which at that point, just build more 5-over-1s in a better location that isn't surrounding by Death Valley parking acreage.

Aren't 5-over-1s hideously inefficient, overpriced, and deathtraps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVodkE47aLw

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fuschia tude posted:

Aren't 5-over-1s hideously inefficient, overpriced, and deathtraps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVodkE47aLw
yes, but compared to single-family homes they're amazing

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

yeah in a single family home, triple decker, or other kind a brick and mortar apartment building, you miss out on being able to hear literally everything going on in the apartments above and below or beside you at all times always

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Hilarious that the week the ex president was indicted or whatever the goon hive mind pivots to bitching about improvements in housing.

Y'all are the reason we can't have nice things.

This is America.
It's not for the weak of stomach.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think most people here are pretty into the whole Trump crime scene, it just has its own thread, which is usually more active than this one. Check it out!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Republicans posted:

I went to the Seatac mall a while ago while waiting for phone battery replacement and the only people there at noon were me and a bunch of elderly mall walkers getting their steps in.

Site of the first cinnabon!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Turning malls into homes definitely wouldn't work, but they could be repurposed into plenty of other public services. Schools, libraries, museums, public meeting rooms, a general place to just hang out. Malls kind of provide those to an extent but they're obviously centered around the expectation of spending money.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Malls are dying because people don't have any time (to shop) or money (to shop with). Back in the 90s you could wander the mall because your one job gave you enough money to buy some stupid poo poo. Now you gotta have two jobs plus drive Uber to survive, not enough time to go shopping, plus poo poo's expensive now so you have to just buy the cheapest version of whatever you need off Wish and hope you didn't accidentally buy the dollhouse furniture size of what you needed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

Malls are dying because people don't have any time (to shop) or money (to shop with). Back in the 90s you could wander the mall because your one job gave you enough money to buy some stupid poo poo. Now you gotta have two jobs plus drive Uber to survive, not enough time to go shopping, plus poo poo's expensive now so you have to just buy the cheapest version of whatever you need off Wish and hope you didn't accidentally buy the dollhouse furniture size of what you needed.

I don't disagree that people have less time/money but only like 5% of Americans work 2 jobs. Let alone 2 + a gig. I'm pretty sure the rise of online shopping explains that much better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's a combination of factors. Online shopping definitely hasn't helped, but it's also because of people moving away from certain areas that malls serve or competition from other malls. That and brick and mortar chains not adapting well to online shopping.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Fister Roboto posted:

Turning malls into homes definitely wouldn't work, but they could be repurposed into plenty of other public services. Schools, libraries, museums, public meeting rooms, a general place to just hang out. Malls kind of provide those to an extent but they're obviously centered around the expectation of spending money.

Fun fact an abandoned department store in a mall was used as a temporary school not too long ago.
https://www.insider.com/photos-show...lassroom-wall-4

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
One of the not-very-large malls near me that is still surviving somehow has so many jewelry stores that, at one intersection, three of the four corner stores are jewelers (and the other one sells handbags and such).

I have no idea how they survive. Nobody needs that much jewelry. Is this a money laundering/crime thing?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

brick and mortar chains not adapting well to online shopping
One of the most eye-opening experiences for me recently was going in a Best Buy. Remember how lovely that experience was? Smaller kiosks inside yelling at you about signing up for a cellphone, and then having to say 'no' three times to not get accidentally subscribed to Entertainment Weekly, knowing you were contributing to a metric that would get the cashier fired?

Best Buy is good now. They got rid of all the oppressive push-sales and just, like, have merchandise out where you can select it, take it to the front of the store and purchase it without any hassle. Not sure how they survived, but glad they did.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

One of the most eye-opening experiences for me recently was going in a Best Buy. Remember how lovely that experience was? Smaller kiosks inside yelling at you about signing up for a cellphone, and then having to say 'no' three times to not get accidentally subscribed to Entertainment Weekly, knowing you were contributing to a metric that would get the cashier fired?

Best Buy is good now. They got rid of all the oppressive push-sales and just, like, have merchandise out where you can select it, take it to the front of the store and purchase it without any hassle. Not sure how they survived, but glad they did.

Hell yeah they are, plus they price match most online stores. Every year I buy more and more from Best Buy and less and less from Amazon. Nearly all my electronics and appliance purchases are from them now.

The worst part is they still have a crappy 14-day return policy but at least you can talk to someone about your problem.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

My Best Buy used to be nice like that but then they got rid of a ton of their on-shelf merchandise and put it behind the counter, so now entire sections look like the store is going out of business and they’re about to sell the shelves.

There’s also a cop with a gun stationed out front at all times.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Consumer spending is actually extremely high, even among luxury goods that would be traditionally purchased at a mall. During COVID it was even higher and you literally couldn't buy a lot of things at MSRP.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dumb question but how do physical stores do quality assurance and not have drop ship stuff flood their inventory?

one of my neurotic pet peeves that makes me always use amazon now as a look-at and item checking thing is i dont want to be burn on a fake.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Retail stores purchase directly from the vendors and their distributors. If you want to ensure you're getting authentic merchandise you buy from places like Best Buy, not Amazon.

Bestbuy.com is super competitive on price these days and you don't need to worry that your SD card was mixed into a box full of fakes at the Amazon warehouse.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Wayne Knight posted:

Site of the first cinnabon!

Couldn't even get a slice of pizza because that was closed. :(

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Yeah ordering from Best Buy kinda owns. I try to do it as much as possible as an Amazon alternative for electronics. They don't have lovely marketplace affiliates flooding their search results with garbage so you can actually find good products when you go looking for "bluetooth earbuds" or whatever.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a combination of factors. Online shopping definitely hasn't helped, but it's also because of people moving away from certain areas that malls serve or competition from other malls. That and brick and mortar chains not adapting well to online shopping.

It's this.

People still love shopping. If you happen to live near one of the few successful shopping zones, you can see this first hand. People are poorer and people have less time and poo poo is more expensive, all of this is true - but the irony is that if you want to do stuff out of doors in America you basically have to spend money. Shopping is one of the few activities we're allowed in suburbs because parks don't exist and libraries are underfunded or invisible.

However, the idea that people are willing to drive six to twelve (or more) miles out of their way to visit a mall is less appealing now.

The idea that people just shop Amazon for whatever is overly simplistic and based on my own analysis, is a bit of a myth. It's not that it's false people buy stuff online, it's just a lot more complicated than people make it sound.

Target still makes money hand over fist. They have less poo poo on their shelves and they would like you to believe they can't afford to hire more staff. I expect the same is true of a lot of retail chains. The failure of malls is an interesting study.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
One fun example of mall rot is in the San Fernando Valley, north side of LA. There's two malls literally within two blocks of each other. One is thriving and the other is basically dead. I went to the dead one because it was the one that had a theater but it looks like the theater has since moved to the thriving mall.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

dumb question but how do physical stores do quality assurance and not have drop ship stuff flood their inventory?

one of my neurotic pet peeves that makes me always use amazon now as a look-at and item checking thing is i dont want to be burn on a fake.

There’s someone at every retail store who’s job titles is “Buyer” where there job is to talk to vendors, get samples and order product from them. They also negotiate price, condition, features, all that kind of stuff. They are the gatekeeper between the producer of goods and the stores themselves. It’s actually one of the most powerful executive positions in any company of significant size. Their decisions can sometimes single-handedly make or break a product being sold in their stores

Amazon turned this process over to an algorithm.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

FCKGW posted:

There’s someone at every retail store who’s job titles is “Buyer” where there job is to talk to vendors, get samples and order product from them. They also negotiate price, condition, features, all that kind of stuff. They are the gatekeeper between the producer of goods and the stores themselves. It’s actually one of the most powerful executive positions in any company of significant size. Their decisions can sometimes single-handedly make or break a product being sold in their stores

Amazon turned this process over to an algorithm.

On the other hand, Costco's buyer seems pretty good; since all their kirkland brand stuff seems as good as or sometimes better than the name brand sitting next to it on the shelf.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Sekhmnet posted:

On the other hand, Costco's buyer seems pretty good; since all their kirkland brand stuff seems as good as or sometimes better than the name brand sitting next to it on the shelf.

Thats's because a lot of the times it *is* the same stuff. I''ve not worked in food factories, but when it comes to "different brands" it's the same people running the same machines, the only difference being the quality of the materials ( ie, no-name would have cheaper paper to make their folders than name brand. Sometimes. )

So if the buyer said "spend the extra few cents per item to use good quality materials for Kirkland brand" it would be very close to the brand name thing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shooting Blanks posted:

On the topic of buildings that lend themselves to conversion for housing, are ungodly numbers of hotels popping up all over the place? Jacksonville has just an ungodly number of hotels, which may tie back to our idiotic Super Bowl bid. However, so many places around here look like they're some condos or apartments but then you realize it's the 9th loving hotel you've passed on the street.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sekhmnet posted:

Except the beer. Never buy the Kirkland beer.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Twincityhacker posted:

Thats's because a lot of the times it *is* the same stuff. I''ve not worked in food factories, but when it comes to "different brands" it's the same people running the same machines, the only difference being the quality of the materials ( ie, no-name would have cheaper paper to make their folders than name brand. Sometimes. )

So if the buyer said "spend the extra few cents per item to use good quality materials for Kirkland brand" it would be very close to the brand name thing.

I do work in a food factory and sometimes it is literally the same thing in a different bag. We make the same bread and put it in 6 different bags for different stores’ “store brand.”

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I do work in a food factory and sometimes it is literally the same thing in a different bag. We make the same bread and put it in 6 different bags for different stores’ “store brand.”

Aldi's has a lot of products like this, especially cereals, that are 100% the same stuff and made by the same companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And yet old people at the store constantly block aisles contemplating different brands of canned black beans

Another thing that’s often literally the same is chinese restaurants, especially buffets. If you ever noticed they are shockingly similar across the country, it’s because loads of them source food from the same place. Basically McDonalds or Arby’s but they don’t have a unified franchise name