Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

blue squares posted:

please help, friends. hosting a baby shower for my wife’s coworker. she ate lunch yesterday with someone who tested positive this morning. trying to figure out whether my wife could be contagious already tonight. going to tell everyone regardless, but trying to decide if we need to cancel preemptively or just let folks decide. no one she works with wears a mask anyway

we can do three rapids too

so the baby shower is two days after the exposure date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Jon posted:

well fewer people die when they take it so that's pretty nice

yes, and I’ve gotten every dose of the vaccine I’m allowed. I just think the horrible messaging, new tech, ineffective updates, lead to a position that we shouldn’t be in. which is what gave that actual antivax guy to spout bullshit

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

bedpan posted:

so the baby shower is two days after the exposure date?

one day. exposure was yesterday

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

nexous posted:

yes, and I’ve gotten every dose of the vaccine I’m allowed. I just think the horrible messaging, new tech, ineffective updates, lead to a position that we shouldn’t be in. which is what gave that actual antivax guy to spout bullshit

I get it, it’s insanely frustrating.

blue squares posted:

one day. exposure was yesterday

Anecdotally- shooting the gap between exposure and infectiousness was more of a thing with wildtype, current variants seem to make people infectious earlier but I have nothing to back that up.

Baby showers can always be rescheduled- my friend had a massive complication and had to cancel hers when one of her babies required fetal surgery. It was fuckin wild but those twins just had their second birthday. Play it safe.

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 20:05 on Aug 26, 2023

salient
Jan 2, 2021
https://twitter.com/marynmck/status/1695084337199251671
https://web.archive.org/web/20230825100431/https://www.wired.com/story/the-battle-against-the-fungal-apocalypse-is-just-beginning/

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
sorry, facetiousness doesn’t convey well over text. obviously the vaccines are a net benefit and anyone who didn’t get one should reconsider. I’m tilting at dumb vaccine windmills

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

blue squares posted:

please help, friends. hosting a baby shower for my wife’s coworker. she ate lunch yesterday with someone who tested positive this morning. trying to figure out whether my wife could be contagious already tonight. going to tell everyone regardless, but trying to decide if we need to cancel preemptively or just let folks decide. no one she works with wears a mask anyway

Keep the heck away from expectant women if you might have it, I don't have the studies straight to hand, but I've heard enough stories from my mother's former coworkers that it can very bad for expectant people.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Aug 26, 2023

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

nexous posted:

sorry, facetiousness doesn’t convey well over text. obviously the vaccines are a net benefit and anyone who didn’t get one should reconsider. I’m tilting at dumb vaccine windmills

haha, as someone who got probated this week for making people think a scientist makes Tony Stark money, I get it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Dying for Bastard Tetris's vaccine profits

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah the problem with the covid vaccines isn't really the vaccines themselves, they're fine and good, the problem is vaccination, like everything about covid, and everything about everything really these days, became a locus for culture war bullshit

the terrible messaging didn't help at all either

if they hadn't tried mRNA then the claimed objections would just have been different but just as strenuous, it's not worth entertaining seriously

and the opposing trenchline of the culture war insisting that the vax can and did magically Solve Covid so we can all Get Back To Normal is also dumb as dogshit, and it's perfectly reasonable IMHO to point this out without necessarily being antivax

hailthefish has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Aug 26, 2023

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0143400422003083?via%3Dihub

Like, nearly half the afterbirths examined had some sort of wierdness, from the first one I had to hand, of types that had noticeably higher rates of issues with the fetus later.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i hope i become one of those big tanky fungal monsters from the last of us.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

just stompin' around having a great time with my little buddies down in the sewer

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Too Many Birds posted:

just stompin' around having a great time with my little buddies down in the sewer

just sitting around chillin for 30 years until some bearded dickhead in a flannel burns me to death with a molotov

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fungal Fun Facts: I don't remember where I read it, but the original designer of the board game Twilight Imperium contracted a fungal infection in his lungs because he wanted to save money with the printer to punch out and separate all the proof sheets for first edition, so he was sitting in a warehouse eight hours a day punching cardboard for like three weeks and inhaled enough paper dust that he got blastomycosis

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

thats not very fun at all :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Fungal Fun Facts: I don't remember where I read it, but the original designer of the board game Twilight Imperium contracted a fungal infection in his lungs because he wanted to save money with the printer to punch out and separate all the proof sheets for first edition, so he was sitting in a warehouse eight hours a day punching cardboard for like three weeks and inhaled enough paper dust that he got blastomycosis

I'm looking up information on blastomycosis on the Wisconsin Dept of Health Services website and am very amused with how they talk about it

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/disease/blastomycosis.htm

quote:

Blasto is an infection caused by the fungus Blastomyces.

Blasto is not spread from person to person.

Blasto is treatable with antifungal medications.

People who are sick and are concerned about Blasto should visit their doctor.

doc, i am very concerned about blasto

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7047e1.htm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8280612/

Overall, on the balance I'd say keep the heck away from that, Blue Squares.

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm looking up information on blastomycosis on the Wisconsin Dept of Health Services website and am very amused with how they talk about it

'This one suggests that one should go to the emergency room.'

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Aug 26, 2023

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DominoKitten posted:

We are no longer in a pandemic, I say, as ten percent of my conference attendees fall ill and are disappeared.

Luv 2 send infectious people back home on various transportations!
Lol. Middlebury is my neck of the woods.

Interestingly enough, I've seen more masks in Middlebury this spring and summer than anywhere else in Vermont. At the food coop, nearly every cashier wears them. I feel like there had to be an outbreak besides Breadloaf that I didn't hear about.

I haven't been checking this thread for awhile but will be keeping an eye to monitor the updated vaccine variant.

For those with kids going into school for the first time, I feel for you. I pretty much threw my hands up in spring of 2022 when the state went masks off. I still wore mine through the rest of that year into the end of winter 2023 and have been mask off since then.

Of course, we haven't traveled on planes nor do we eat out much. My wife did get it last November after Thanksgiving, our kid in February 2022 and both only once. I have no answer as to why I haven't gotten it yet but am positive it's only a matter of time, regardless of when I get the updated vaccine and when I start masking indoors again this fall.

For five days that ended on this past Monday I was selected for jury duty. I briefly thought that if there's a way for me to get it, spending so much time in the jury room would be it but, knock on wood, apparently not.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

we announced it and everyone else attending the shower was already exposed to the same person on the same day and none of them give a poo poo including the pregnant woman, so whatever, party on

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Why Am I So Tired posted:

To be fair, they might just be on the JCVI.
lol (sadly)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Ah well, c'est la vie. Sorry fellow goon.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

New masknerd vid for big heads

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

blue squares posted:

we announced it and everyone else attending the shower was already exposed to the same person on the same day and none of them give a poo poo including the pregnant woman, so whatever, party on

lol, covid infections are p. dangerous for pregnant people and babies.

it's a good thing that you'd never know this unless you really dug for it.

thanks, cdc.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
woo woo lefties went from the majority of antivaxxers to endangered species in one year

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

bedpan posted:

sometimes the person at the pharmacy doing the injections is a cute girl

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Fansy posted:

woo woo lefties went from the majority of antivaxxers to endangered species in one year

It reminds me of an interesting thing where the "for real foreign astroturf bullshit networks" that make nonsense targeting FB paranoids originally started with woo woo stuff but found the pre-Qanon right wing paranoids to be substantially more fertile than the woo woo types, if only because there's so many more of them.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

pillsburysoldier posted:

New masknerd vid for big heads
lol that he notes how not-great V-Flexes look. He's not wrong, but I have no other non-elastomeric options :eng99:

I might try one of his "big head" recommendations despite my lack of optimism about them.

Insanite posted:

lol, covid infections are p. dangerous for pregnant people and babies.

it's a good thing that you'd never know this unless you really dug for it.

thanks, cdc.
Yeah, a lot of legitimately brilliant people I know don't know about any of this stuff. I might not either if I didn't happen to be reading the forums at somethingawful.com.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
welp, it was a good run, but with a kid in preschool it was only a matter of time. wife and I have killer headaches and bright angry test lines on our RATs (though the kid is still testing negative, even though she was coughing and sniffling all last week). timeline suggests the kid got COVID at preschool late last week and never developed a viral load big enough to be detected on a RAT, then passed it on to us maybe two days ago or so.

wife got a pax prescription through her normal teladoc, I'm about to try for mine.

im still going to take precautions but with a 5 year old in preschool it sometimes feels like any precaution I, personally, take is like putting a padlock on a paper bag. hate this poo poo

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Bastard Tetris posted:

Anti-vaxxers live in my mental ignore list, but goddamn a smallpox pandemic would be a society-rending nightmare in our current state of the world.

Not if you, uhhh... *checks CDC notes* wash your hands!

blue squares posted:

It's a shame to see pregnant individuals play maskless Russian roulette with their own and their expected child's health. My sister is maskless idiot and just got notified of a hosed up pregnancy.

Fun times.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I have many friends in the same boat. wear masks everywhere, don’t share air, etc. kid is supposed to wear them at school. but … then they eat in a cafeteria, or peer pressure, or stupid teachers who tell them they can take them off

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rated PG-34 posted:

how about also people were always right to question the vaccine and efficacy of lockdowns as the pandemic never suspended the question of capital.

it’s still echoed in this very thread that if people had just lockdowned harder, the virus would have been defeated. that was just a delusion as lockdowns were always for the ‘non-essential’ workers.

the disdain for ‘anti-vaxxers’ was always dumb because the vaccine doesn’t stop spread and the risk calculation is nebulous especially for younger people as the vaccine is not without side-effects

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This post is reactionary and incoherent, but I repeat myself.

The idea that lockdowns and vaccines are unnecessary are premised on the idea that the novel coronavirus is just another common cold virus. This could hardly be further from the truth. It kills more people worldwide on an ongoing basis than any other infectious disease. Life expectancy immediately dropped by years, and it’s not done falling.

It’s just not quite bad enough that capital cannot force us to take it on the chin, via the violence of deprivation and the state and with the help of social enforcers in the lower classes.

So-called “lockdowns” have worked against communicable diseases for as long as humans have been writing histories. No one seriously questions whether they work in principle.

If asked to consider what would happen if smallpox tomorrow escaped from Atlanta or Novosibirsk or the pages of some forgotten book, everyone knows that we wouldn’t simply let it scythe through one fifth of the population. They know that SARS couldn’t be allowed to claim one in ten of all people alive today. Defeatism is only invoked against one particular pathogen, and it’s because capital has essentially allied with it.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://twitter.com/RajlabN/status/1695551781370053025

Some of the sequencing ratios for subvariants are most likely skew in the coming weeks as labs will focus on prioritizing samples based on whether or not it has an S-gene target failure during preliminary PCR testing. This always happens when the world starts paying more attention to a new wave. When "less interesting" samples from this timeperiod get sequenced and uploaded later on it will even out again.

Though of course everything's skewed because our overall global sequencing frequency is poo poo but hey, gotta work with what you've got :pseudo:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

U-DO Burger posted:

in hindsight it was pretty messed up that the smallpox vaccine used to be mandated. It's not like you were guaranteed to get smallpox. And the vaccine had a distinct chance of loving you up!

The smallpox vaccine in fact hosed up so many people that the U.S. spent less money eradicating smallpox worldwide than they spent in a single year dealing with smallpox vaccine side effects. Doctors wring their hands over myocarditis following mRNA coronavirus vaccination, but it was literally hundreds* of times as common following smallpox vaccination. And you know what? It was still one of humanity’s greatest achievements.

If we had to bring back smallpox vaccination in this century, the situation would be milder thanks to antivirals, vaccinia immunoglobulin, and most importantly third‐generation vaccines that can’t cause complications like progressive vaccinia or generalized vaccinia.

However, we don’t have enough of any of those things, as we learned with mpox.

*I’m rounding up here from like one hundred and seventy, with upper confidence interval crossing two hundred. So sue me.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

If we had to bring back smallpox vaccination in this century, the situation would be milder thanks to antivirals, vaccinia immunoglobulin, and most importantly third‐generation vaccines that can’t cause complications like progressive vaccinia or generalized vaccinia.

However, we don’t have enough of any of those things, as we learned with mpox.

For any future crisis, there will be one (1) attempt to use the advanced technology to solve the problem and if that doesn't work, then the technology will largely sit on the shelf while the elites' preferred solution shifts toward just convincing people it's not a problem at all

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am a medically lucky (in the base definition of luck) person so of course as a child I had a very bad reaction to a vaccine and ended up covered in giant welts that made it so I couldn't walk that took forever to heal and they had to make a special exception to allow me into school since I had to wait an extra year to get more vaccines, which ended up being moot since I missed 3/4 of the school year anyway due to an unrelated medical condition and had to re-take kindergarten. There was a doctor who thought I should not even get the shots at all because mumps and measles at the time seemed well on the path to being gone.

Considering that mumps and measles had a big return in the 00s, I'm really glad I still eventually got my shots.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Platystemon posted:

e.

If asked to consider what would happen if smallpox tomorrow escaped from Atlanta or Novosibirsk or the pages of some forgotten book, everyone knows that we wouldn’t simply let it scythe through one fifth of the population. They know that SARS couldn’t be allowed to claim one in ten of all people alive today. Defeatism is only invoked against one particular pathogen, and it’s because capital has essentially allied with it.

I would disagree, I would call it another sign that the current failsons are running the world into the terlet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blue squares posted:

she ate lunch yesterday with someone who tested positive this morning. trying to figure out whether my wife could be contagious already tonight.

A day and a half is not out of the question. This disease develops with impressive speed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

U-DO Burger posted:

quote:

Blasto is an infection caused by the fungus Blastomyces.

Blasto is not spread from person to person.

Blasto is treatable with antifungal medications.

People who are sick and are concerned about Blasto should visit their doctor.

My favorite example of this genre is when CDC said to coordinate with the local department of public health to do your laundry.

https://web.archive.org/web/2022080...fection-508.pdf posted:

When in-home laundry facilities (facilities not shared with other households) are not available, individuals should coordinate with their local public health department to determine appropriate laundering options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
lol what the christ