Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Coolguye posted:

it's a pity because full mechanoid clusters are actually kinda cool! but the raids themselves are just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It helps if you have a bunch of mods that add additional mech types that add new raid strategies for them; Alpha Mechs is a good example by having stuff like a slow advance behind a wide shielded mech for cover or seige-type assaults with the equivalent of (literally) mobile artillery.
Or... yeah just crank the difficulty up or take three star quests and get reminded that centipedes are incredibly dangerous when you get more than two or three at a time. :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
NB that is not at a crazy difficulty, I think it's at the default for Strive to Survive which is something like 150%

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah the game just randomly decides that 80 centipedes is hee-fuckin-larious and it's by far the least fun experience i've had in a game in the last year.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm loving Rimatomics because I can fire a railgun at those assholes at a distance and chip away at their massive HP pools as they slowly waddle over to the colony.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Leal posted:

I'm loving Rimatomics because I can fire a railgun at those assholes at a distance and chip away at their massive HP pools as they slowly waddle over to the colony.

maybe i should put rimatomics back on my playlist. Then again as fun as it was to run a nuclear reactor and nuke the entire map, it made raids trivial.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rimatomics can let you trivialize the game, but it's a sliding scale of difficulty reduction.

Nuclear power seems like an obvious capability that a large colony might strive for; managing 100 solar panels isn't really interesting, and the work that it takes to build, maintain, and operate even a small reactor feels like the right amount for the payoff of that much power generation. And even then it's not like you eliminated power concerns entirely or trivialized it; you still need some complexity in your power grid, you need to continue to acquire uranium and build fuel rods, etc. You could stop here and have an excellent mod on your hands, a really solid and well-balanced project that any advanced player could use and enjoy

On the other side of that coin are a bunch of construction projections that are all at least too good, and some are just broken. The investment is a lot higher than a simple reactor, but the payoff is too huge. I don't build any of that stuff and that works for me

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I don't bother with the weapons very much since they range from kinda worthless to leaves enemies as a ten meter long unlootable smear on the dirt. The sheer amount of power is worth the super high resource and labour cost especially since I run tech heavy colonies that can use the whole drat reactor :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Personally, Rimatomics falls on the wrong side of the "too much complexity" line for me. Because it's entirely disconnected from normal Rimworld research, and requires several dedicated expensive buildings just to prototype, and each individual component for the modular buildings is so tedious to construct in terms of parts, it feels like a giant pain in the rear end to set up. I'd much rather abstract away a lot of what it simulates.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The prototyping gets Old considering it has to be redone every single colony, but the complex building is 100% my jam. I'm begging them to put in a dev mode button to just skip the entire first phase :cripes:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
gently caress it im rimafellering, rimatomicing, and doing project rimfactory

Doing a custom start where i have a starting group of 4 vatgrown mercenaries (forced childhood, vatgrown soldier, chance of being mercenaries, mercenary leaders, or a combat medic for adult backstories) drop in with an APC (Tango), some chemfuel, steel, 3 days worth of food for each of them, some medicine, their flak armor (full set), clothes, their weapons, and gently caress all else. Oh and some steel slag chunks and ship chunks to represent the ship they were in getting shot down.

quote:

It was supposed to be a routine expedition, until ancient orbital defenses speared your ship with railgun fire. Racing to the escape pods before the reactor goes critical, your team are the sole survivors of your mercenary company.

And now, on this forsaken Rimworld, you and your fellow mercenaries, bred from birth for war, must figure out a way to survive.

Anyway the plan is to get involved with the VFE Deserters content. Mercenaries go full Jagged Alliance on the space prudes.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/tyXMkD1.mp4

It does add some interesting endgames.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

TheWeedNumber posted:

yeah i think im on page 6 of that saga so far. Anyway idk if im as brutal as this dude but I put the colony's kids in the VFE Vehicle framework tanks. I know i'm playing a mercenary faction but lmfao

You're just playing Omsk, so about the 80th percentile of terribad for RimWorld.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

SugarAddict posted:

https://i.imgur.com/tyXMkD1.mp4

It does add some interesting endgames.

its pretty

StealthArcher posted:

You're just playing Omsk, so about the 80th percentile of terribad for RimWorld.

idk what this means, are we referring to a city in Russia or something that happened there?

Anyway do you guys have a discord setup or have any interest in setting one up? Would like to talk to some of yall in real time whenever im doing colony poo poo.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I'm thinking about removing rimatomics from my next playthrough; it's so rare that I actually get to that phase with a colony, and I mostly want it for the turrets - actually managing a nuclear reactor seems like a huge pain in the rear end

what're people using for turrets? I used to really like More Vanilla Turrets with Turret Extensions, but I stopped using it after a while - can't remember why, I think a patch just broke it for a bit or something.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

death cob for cutie posted:

I'm thinking about removing rimatomics from my next playthrough; it's so rare that I actually get to that phase with a colony, and I mostly want it for the turrets - actually managing a nuclear reactor seems like a huge pain in the rear end

what're people using for turrets? I used to really like More Vanilla Turrets with Turret Extensions, but I stopped using it after a while - can't remember why, I think a patch just broke it for a bit or something.

More Vanilla Turrets, Turret Collection (unofficial). The latter has some pretty great artillery in it that makes the kind of enormous assaults endgame colonies face more reasonable.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

death cob for cutie posted:

The Fortifications Industrial series (Industrial, Citadel and the citadel turret accuracy boost), Vanilla Furniture Expanded Security, More Vanilla Turrets (its fine and updated for 1.4), and i think that's it as far as i can tell. Also got the van's retexture mods and smart turret covering so that the turrets can benefit from sandbags and the like.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

DoubleNegative posted:

Tell me about small things you do that make their lives better in little ways.

The kitchen and workspaces are always within Decent walking distance of the apartment bloc, i dont like having people walk 40 years to their destination so I try to minimize foot traffic. All meals are vegetarian, grown from our own farms which have a variety of different fruits and veggies, fruit trees are also moved closer to base. A bustling smokeleaf industry means everyone gets their State Allocated one joint per day with the exception of depressive or unstable pawns, who are allowed a few more. Very little alcohol on base as most of it is sold anyway. There isnt a single gas guzzling generator belching nasty chemfuel fumes into the air, all power generation is either wind, solar, or geothermal.

Most of my pawns are "civilian" pawns who have high growing, art, or crafting skill. Each civvie gets a shield belt while the military pawns are outfitted with EOD suits or Plate armor depending on availability. Robust healthcare system gets every pawn fixed up as soon as possible, I've had pawns that lost spines back up on their feet within the month, even former enemies. Former enemy pawns who have high social or medicinal skill are nearly guaranteed citizenship.

WE DO NOT: harvest organs from still living pawns, attack innocents in any fashion, execute any pawns, practice slavery, or negotiate with terrorists (no foreign bounties will be honored in any way, we do not pay protection money)

WE DO: provide free food and housing for all guests, provide protection for all pawns, jail foreign pawns for harming citizens (to the point where they lose limbs, a few cuts and scrapes are no big deal), buy slaves in order to free them, and provide a respectable burial plot for all fallen pawns complete with some sort of artwork for a headstone.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
IN THIS HOUSE
We Believe

Pawns keep their organs - Innocents can walk across our map
Visitors should get to eat at our table - Only buy slaves to free them
Legs are a right, not a privilege - Pawns should be buried instead of butchered

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Really slaves should be stolen & released, & slave traders executed but i've never once been in a strong enough position to pull it off ever

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Really slaves should be stolen & released, & slave traders executed but i've never once been in a strong enough position to pull it off ever

You need to grow more corn my friend

Corn is power

Corn is strength

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This has given me an inspiration, I want to create a corn-themed colony

Their name is The Husker Knights (Adventure Time Reference)

From Ideology Expanded, take the memes Trader and Vegan

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
If you attack a slaver caravan do the slaves also go hostile?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The nicest thing I've done for my pawns is give them a bed instead of a sleeping spot

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Beds for everyone by the end of day one, nobody sleeps on the ground.

Private rooms by the end of the first autumn

Cadillac healthcare (may require waiting on full treatment for some severe injuries like missing limbs or eyes)

Body armor for every fighter. Everybody capable has to man the battlements when the choice is thrust upon us, and every defender deserves the best protection we can get, by hook or by crook

We Do Not Kill Children. It started out as a mandate to scoop up and treat any teenage pawns who wind up down but not out during a raid, now that there are actual children there’s a second layer to this

All Children Deserve To Grow Up, more than a simple policy to extend mercy where possible this extends the village childcare mandate across every aspect of life on the Rim. Our primary duty is now to ensure that the next generation grows up strong and standing tall, not bowed under the demands of raiders or slavers.

e: players with slaves can draft them and even arm them for a fight, and they'll follow orders presumably on the same basis that they follow non-combat orders as a slave. They're much more likely to try and escape if they're armed, of course, so you could wind up with an attempted breakout in the middle of a firefight, but the AI caravan will cease to exist once it's off the map tile so they don't have to worry about this the way a human player with plans for a future does.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 27, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Zore posted:

If you attack a slaver caravan do the slaves also go hostile?
I think they do, and honestly, that makes some sense.

I want to go hardcore anti-slavery in this game too, but if you just start wordlessly killing people who have slaves, the slaves aren't going to know you're on their side and that you're not just psychopaths they need to defend themselves from. There would need to be some system where the slaves ask for help- like the opposite of those optional quests to kill refugees. A slaver caravan comes and you get a popup saying the slaves are secretly offering [reward/to join/etc] if you liberate them. That'd be a satisfying event.

On a related note, that recent mod that consists of a full campaign against the Empire is a fantastic idea, and while I'm usually not into mods adding so many gameplay systems, I'm probably going to give it a go on my next run through. gently caress the slaving Empire. I was always frustrated that there was basically no compelling gameplay for telling them to gently caress off, and a whole bunch of neat gameplay for embracing them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you buy all the slaves you can then attack the slaveless caravan and get your money back. Then you can just declare the slaves free.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm pretty sure i have literally never seen a slave caravan outside of a time when i am critically undermanned

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
They're more common if you run with the Ratkin mod, as for some reason, the game loves to make the NPC Ratkin factions slave traders.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SniperWoreConverse posted:

*gets that mod that let's you shoot down trade ships*

*shoots down a slave ship*

*slave cryopod crashes into mountain*

Whoops

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dear lord, I start having anxienty when I get to like 15 colonists. How many colonists do your colonies have goons?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Leal posted:

Dear lord, I start having anxienty when I get to like 15 colonists. How many colonists do your colonies have goons?

I usually push 20 pretty easily through mass recruitment but yeah that’s pretty nuts.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

You're playing dwarf fortress at that point, complete with FPS drops. I usually keep about 15-20 pawns.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

What's the point of rimefeller/rimatomics trivializing energy supply if you don't expand your colony?

I like big sprawling settlements, got about 70 pawns right now, including slaves. Not stuttering too badly, but I think I'm gonna downsize to about 50, and let bots take over more of the workforce.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Velvet Witch posted:

You're playing dwarf fortress at that point, complete with FPS drops. I usually keep about 15-20 pawns.

Yeah that's my sweet spot. 15-20 pawns is enough that you have a huge colony to work with but it's a small enough number that you can still remember each pawn's quirks without having to start giving them serial numbers and the game doesn't crawl to 2 fps.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TheWeedNumber posted:

idk what this means, are we referring to a city in Russia or something that happened there?

I suspect it's a reference to the state of Omsk in the Hearts of Iron 4 mod The New Order, where they are one of dozens of statelets in a balkanized Russia, and one of the most insane because every moment of their existence is devoted to A) Reuniting Russia militarily and B) Preparing for an apocalyptic war of revenge against Nazi Germany. Huge bunker-cities are a mainstay.

-----

My colonies aim for giving every colonist a decent home, nice and sizeable with a good bed to begin with. Later as we get richer they'll be given furniture, rugs, a TV, and at some point a freezer. If they're a family, they get a larger home with two bedrooms, one for the parents and one for the kids to share. Usually homes get en-suite facilities at some point though that can admittedly take a low priority. In colonies that have the space for it, homes get a small yard as well, which will get a tree or two, a bench, a sculpture maybe, stuff like that.

The main part of the colony will expand from a combination dining/rec room to one of each, and where possible and so modded, things like a sauna. Later still there will be a spa with a pool and hot tubs and ideally an exercise room.

As much drudge work as possible gets done by robots or mechanoids or whatever. Work that people do is distributed according to passions insofar as that's viable.

Nutritient paste is for emergencies. Otherwise we do our best to keep a stock of varied meals and drinks available. Booze is mostly from trade and drops, but there's weed and psychite tea available with pretty light restrictions. Making sure people get some free time is a priority once we're past early game, and I only section off a few hours (usually midnight to 5am) for mandatory sleep, otherwise I let them do whatever they feel like once work is done.

Healthcare is more than just slapping a bandage on a wound and calling it good. I do my level best to replace or regrow lost body parts, repair scars, cure diseases, etc.. Organ harvesting is frowned upon and only done in desperation.

Enemies get saved as long as it's possible to without losing our own injured, and either recruited or sent home once they're in okay shape. Kids are always saved if at all possible. Prison itself is kept clean and we grant dignity to the prisoners, even if it's a barracks there's a proper restroom and usually one or two entertainment options in there, regardless of need.

Colony animals get large paddocks; pets get comfy beds in the rooms of their people, and are likewise extended efforts to deal with health problems. Animals can be slaughtered in desperate times but pets never are, they're colony members like anyone else and eating them is no better than cannibalism. Which is something we don't do.

This isn't all true for all colonies of course, but any I build will have more than half of these features unless I set out not to on purpose.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 31, 2023

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I'm at like 35 pawns? 20 or so is definitely the sweet spot, more than that and pawns start to lose their personality. I've been using AI to make portraits for my guys as I get them and it's definitely the most invested I've been in a colony but at some point things blur together with the new guys.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

There's a mod that gives your pawns a portrait that's pretty well done.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Kanos posted:

Yeah that's my sweet spot. 15-20 pawns is enough that you have a huge colony to work with but it's a small enough number that you can still remember each pawn's quirks without having to start giving them serial numbers and the game doesn't crawl to 2 fps.

fr, I dont know how they do it but a raid in the rain will decimate my FPS and these people got RTS level amounts of units, PLEASE teach me your ways!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
So this is a new bug for me:

These bug hives spawned, and all the bugs immediately... started attacking themselves. If I go into dev mode and force one of them to spawn a bug, it immediately starts meleeing itself.

This'll be fun to figure out what's causing the problem.

e: also, from the new Vanilla Deserters content, IDK if it's a bug or something about my mods, but the fletcher rifle is busted as hell - it will absolutely kill mechanoids dead with its acid debuff.

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 29, 2023