Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WIBTA if I started sending out my cover letter to literary agents before my boyfriend is ready?

quote:

My boyfriend and I are both writers! We met though our writing, though I write literary fiction and he writes genre fiction — more specifically, fantasy. I've been working on my novel for four years, and I'm both proud of it and deeply ashamed of it. I recognize, at this point, that there's not much more I can really do with it: I think it's as ready as it'll ever be, so I wanted to start sending out my cover letter to literary agents. I know the chances of it being published are slim to none, but it's my pipe dream. It's also my boyfriend's pipe dream.

When I told him this, I thought he'd be excited, but he asked if I could wait for him. He says he'll be done by the end of the year, but I don't know. My novel is around 80k words, and he's over 200k and has been stuck for a while. I know that being stuck can last a very, very long time. I also imagine that due to the length, he'll have to spend a lot of time editing, and I spent so long editing my comparatively shorter novel. He says over 200k is fine for fantasy, but I don't know if that goes for a debut? He keeps saying he wants us to celebrate our wins together, and that he knows that he can't really be happy for me if it goes well because he's still "in the trenches."

I think sending out my cover letter will be a whole new battlefield, and who's to say either of us will get responses at the same time? And even if we do, that still doesn't mean either of us will get published. But he says it's not about responses, it's about him having it done, and then he called me inconsiderate. I told him that the odds are against either of us getting published anyway, so I don't want to waste more time. He's been working on his novel since before I met him, and it's planned out as a trilogy, so he got really upset with me.

WIBTA if I did it anyway without talking to him about it? I get what he means when he calls me inconsiderate, but I don't feel like I'm being any more inconsiderate than he's being, honestly. I know I wouldn't be the bigger person if I did it, though.

Good luck, guy who's going for Tolkien-length writing in your book debut, I'm sure you'll definitely have it ready to go by New Year's :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My parents, in their retirement apartment, had the same phone number they'd had since I was in elementary school in the 60s. They'd gotten it when there was still Ma Bell of "we don't care, we don't have to care, we're the phone company" fame. The area code had changed, but that was it.

Town only had three prefixes, mind.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

AceClown posted:

was a good one that because at the time loads of goons didn't know about big juicy butts being referred to as cake

ok when was this? I swear me and my bf had a fight like 2 years ago where he would not believe me that yes, that was slang being used for butts

for some reason I'm petty enough to have that stuck in my memory, probably gives me better than even odds that I'll be involved in a story that gets posted here someday :v:

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

dervival posted:

ok when was this? I swear me and my bf had a fight like 2 years ago where he would not believe me that yes, that was slang being used for butts

May I now assume that when someone posts "happy cake day" it's about butts when I was thinking of dessert?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

dervival posted:

for some reason I'm petty enough to have that stuck in my memory, probably gives me better than even odds that I'll be involved in a story that gets posted here someday :v:

Almost exactly 3 years ago in fact!

Jul 8, 2020 04:28

quote:

AITA for being disappointed that my wife gave me a lap dance instead of cake that I asked over text?

Title may be confusing but I really don't know how to word this differently. Today at work my wife texted me to see how I was doing. I told her that I'm fine but that I really craved some cake. She texted back and told me that she'd fix some cake for me. When I got home my wife was dressed pretty sexy and started seducing me to sit on a chair. She asked: "So you wanted cake huh?" In a seductive tone and then I realised that she thought I meant it as in butt. I really wasn't in the mood for it. So I told her I mean't actual cake. She turned red, went updtairs and locked the door behind her. About half an hour later I got a text from a mutual friend and she told me that was a really lovely thing to do. I'm not sure if what I did was wrong but I'm really wondering rn. AITA for expecting actual cake instead of sex?

How the gently caress do I remember a 3 year old low stakes AITA post but not important poo poo fml

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao all they had to do was send like maybe 10 more words between both, at most, worth of txts

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I think you mean… OBX oval bumper sticker

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

AceClown posted:

Almost exactly 3 years ago in fact!

Jul 8, 2020 04:28

How the gently caress do I remember a 3 year old low stakes AITA post but not important poo poo fml

Yeah I remember this because I've never heard anyone outside of online use "cake" that way. May be a regional/US thing.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Shortened from "cheesecake" meaning scantily clad women maybe?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah I remember this because I've never heard anyone outside of online use "cake" that way. May be a regional/US thing.

He said “cake” she heard “cheesecake”

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Man I really misunderstood that whole Marie Antoinette thing

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for accidentally getting my friend high?

quote:

Hi reddit.

I (20f) had my friend (21f), let's call her Alice, over at my place the other day, we had just come home from a bar for a lil’ nightcap since everything had closed by that point. When we got to my apartment I quickly went to the bathroom and told Alice to make herself at home. Suddenly, maybe 10 min later, she started acting really weird. Like, she was slurring her words in an excessive way and seemed to be completely spaced out. I was incredibly confused because she had barely drank when we were out, and now she was out of it.

My first thought was that she could have been drugged at the bar we just were at. Whilst trying to figure out WTF I'm supposed to do - she asked me what flavor my vape was, which confused me because I do not vape, nor do I smoke. I asked her what she meant, and she pointed at a vape on my bookshelf. That's when everything clicked.

For my 20th birthday a friend (20m) had bought me a THC vape. My gift would be tickets to watch the new Spider-Man movie high. I am not a stoner, but I maybe once or twice a year smoke with friends just for fun. Anyway, I hadn’t smoked it since then, so it was just lying on the top of my bookshelf. I am short, so I never see it - hence me suppressing its existence. Alice, however, is very tall. She must have been looking around whilst I was in the bathroom, seen the vape (which looks very unassuming, like any vape) and taken some puffs. Mind you, I do not know what the gently caress type of vape this is because I remember taking max two puffs and I had a complete out-of-body experience, and I don't even know how many puffs she took - she is an avid vaper.

I asked her if she had smoked that vape, and she said yes. Now, Alice is extremely anti drugs. Her father was a heroin addict, so she never did anything except drink alcohol. I always had a total understanding and full respect to her disposition to drugs - so i NEVER, EVER did drugs in front of her (I have only ever smoked weed & did the occasional molly festivals, as you do lol)She completely (understandably) freaked out and started crying. I tried calming her as much as I could, I tried giving her food and water or ANYTHING to sober her up, but she screamed at me that I had drugged her. She said she couldn't believe I had done this to her etc. I had to call her boyfriend and explain the situation, and he picked her up.

I feel loving awful. My stomach drops even thinking about it. If I had remembered the vape of course I would have stashed it away more safely! But, I hadn’t planned on her coming over until we went to my place and by the point we were home I was tipsy, and the thought didn't even cross my mind, just as it hadn’t since I had put it on the shelf! As soon as she left I sent a huge apology text to her, but she left me to read. I get it.

She has since blocked me everywhere and shunned me to all our mutual friends, who are all torn on the issue. I have barely slept since, I can't eat, I feel so bad.

AITA?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The "extremely anti-drugs" friend just saw a random vape and decided to take a few puffs without knowing what was in it? :thunk:

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The "extremely anti-drugs" friend just saw a random vape and decided to take a few puffs without knowing what was in it? :thunk:

Right? I don't know much about nicotine vapes, but the weed ones necessitate deep-lunging that poo poo straight from the mouthpiece. You'd have to be some sort of idiot to do that once by accident and then go back for more. And if she wasn't doing that, then how the gently caress did she even get high without inhaling properly? Whole thing is suspicious, IMO.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AKA Pseudonym posted:

lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The Maroon Hawk posted:

nicotine isn't a drug. also I'm just gonna help myself to this as soon as you leave the room

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The extremely anti drugs friend who just likes to get piss drunk and ingest any form of nicotine they can find

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Right? I don't know much about nicotine vapes, but the weed ones necessitate deep-lunging that poo poo straight from the mouthpiece. You'd have to be some sort of idiot to do that once by accident and then go back for more. And if she wasn't doing that, then how the gently caress did she even get high without inhaling properly? Whole thing is suspicious, IMO.

I also find it extremely hard to believe you wouldn't be able to tell it's weed just from the taste alone, but I also hardly ever vape weed so :shrug:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Who thinks stuff on the top of a bookshelf is open game? Everyone knows that's a "do not touch" zone.

And even if it was out in the open, I'd still ask first even after being told to make myself at home. That's just common courtesy.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Modal Auxiliary posted:

When I used to use oil carts I would only need a few hits to be stoned. If I actually did a big rip, like inhaled hard for more then a few seconds, I would be coughing and very high. They don't necessarily know how many/how deep they took and I could totally see a drunk person who was ignorant to weed hit a dab pen more then was necessary

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
In my experience it's a lot easier to hit weed vapes than nicotine and you you don't immediately get that nicotine rush I can see trying again. Not all vapes hit the same.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for accidentally getting my friend high?

"Let me just hit this random vape lying around on top of a bookcase, without asking permission or checking what's in it. This will definitely end well for me!"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

AKA Pseudonym posted:

:lol:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

tinytort posted:

"Let me just hit this random vape lying around on top of a bookcase, without asking permission or checking what's in it. This will definitely end well for me!"

Later: "Why did you drug me!"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

gently caress it’s margaritaville

Funnier option would be Hooters.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Make myself at home? Why don't I chug some of that nice water from that bottle in the cabinet over there.

It was vodka and now I'm drunk? How could you do this to me

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I find it really, really difficult to believe that somebody drug-naive could take one hit off a weed vape and not immediately recognize, from the ensuing coughing fit, it wasn't nicotine.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

AKA Pseudonym posted:

lol

I have no sympathy for people who smoke/taste/eat/drink items in other people's houses/work lunch boxes and then complain or become ill. I'm not a smoker so vaping wouldn't even occur to me, but the same logic applies

If anything you think the friend would be embarrassed, not accusatory!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does weed vapor taste/smell like weed smoke smells? I’m familiar with the latter but have never smoked or vaped. If the bad guest were truly only vaping nicotine, is it possible she wouldn’t recognize?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can tell it's weed because of the noise it makes when you shake it, sounds like the devil laughing. If it's nicotine it sounds like Phillip Morris at a board meeting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do wonder how many of these virulently anti-drug people are people who have no concept of the idea they should have the slightest amount of self-control.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Well duh, they don't want drugs around them or else they have to do them, that's the rule. I remember leaving school as a wee one once, and unfortunately someone left a marijuana cigarette butt across the road and it was like a black hole. Clawing at the ground trying to find somewhere to grip, my fingers going bloody as they were torn on the asphalt I was dragged across. Awful, just awful.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Does weed vapor taste/smell like weed smoke smells? I’m familiar with the latter but have never smoked or vaped. If the bad guest were truly only vaping nicotine, is it possible she wouldn’t recognize?

Depends on the strain. One benefit of vaping is that you don't get that weed smell stuck to your clothes/hair/body, so the smoke might not have been notable. But every strain has different flavors, and while some vapes are more fruity or gassy or whatever, some smell and taste like just straight-up weed. If she was already pretty drunk, and this was a particularly light or fruity tasting one, she probably thought it was just a flavored nicotine vape.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AITA for asking my daughter questions about her camping trip?

quote:

My (64M) daughter (26F) called yesterday. We asked her what's her plans for the weekend, and she said she's going camping with friends. (Rocky Mountains in Colorado?) It's a 12-hour drive to where they're going.

I asked who are the people she's going with, and she said "friends" again. I asked if she made these friends from a recent filmmaking club she joined, and she said no without elaborating. By that point, she sounded irritated.

When she moved out a year ago (her first time leaving home), she didn't have any friends, so I was just curious where and how she met these people, especially since it sounds she just met them within the last few months and they're going to be in intimate, dangerous conditions (sharing tent, driving together, etc.). AITA?

But how am I supposed to tell her exactly how I don't approve of her plans if she won't give me the details :confused:

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

haveblue posted:

Can’t you get a landline number ported to a cell phone

Yes, in the USA, since 2003.

Since c. 1919: As long as you are moving within the same exchange, you can keep your landline #. You probably do not have a choice of providers.

Since c. 195x and in a reasonably populated area: The exchange is automated for local calls, so you can pretty much move anywhere within your area code and keep your landline number. You also probably do not have a choice of landline provider, but if you do you will probably have to pay extra (maybe even per-month) to keep your number.

1996: Top 100 MSAs must introduce landline local number portability per FCC (e.g. if you are in New York and want to switch your landline from AT&T to some other local carrier AT&T and the local carrier must both support it and not charge)

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Orders/1996/fcc96286.txt

2003: FCC sez landline to mobile, mobile to mobile, and mobile to landline portability must be allowed for everyone, as long as they are in the same area code - e.g. you may or may not be able to get a NY number ported to a CA landline, but you can get a NY landline ported to any mobile carrier operating in the area (assuming billing address is the same as the landline service address and hence de-facto in the same area code) and the landline & mobile providers MUST support this.

2023: Why are the first 3 digits of my phone number called an "area code"? What's a "long distance call"? What's a "landline"?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Having your the first three digits be from another state owns because you can filter out 99.9% of scam robocalls.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Shifty Pony posted:

Having your the first three digits be from another state owns because you can filter out 99.9% of scam robocalls.

Amen to that.

Its also a nice small talk topic when you have to give your number for whatever reason.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Khanstant posted:

You can tell it's weed because of the noise it makes when you shake it, sounds like the devil laughing. If it's nicotine it sounds like Phillip Morris at a board meeting.

They're the same sound.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I thought it sounded like coins clinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for firing my brother after he proposed at my wedding?

quote:

So a bit of background. I own a plumbing company and hired my brother 3 years ago. He was jobless after the pandemic and I offered for him to come work for me. He was 22 at the time, and is now looking to become a master plumber and start his own business.

At my wedding, in which he was the best man, he decided that during his speech he would give us all a big surprise and decided to propose to his long time girlfriend. Me and my wife were appalled. We both feel like he stole the shine from our day. Everyone else in our families were so excited and kept taking pictures with her, looking at the ring, etc.

I decided to fire him the very next day. He still doesn’t understand why. He claims I’m being selfish and irrational, and our parents agree. They’re saying that “business should be separate from our personal lives”, but I just can’t overlook what he did and how he ruined our day. Am I overthinking this??

EDIT: I should have mentioned this, but he will be getting severance. He is still my brother, and I wouldn’t let him lose his home over this. But as a small business I can’t imagine seeing him every day at work. Not now at least.

EDIT 2: I reached out to him and we plan on speaking later today in person.

EDIT 3: I love all of the people who say “you’ve been looking for a reason to fire him” or “you’re just jealous”. He was my best man. I never felt upset about him opening his own business, in fact he has my complete blessing. This job was only supposed to be to get him on his feet again. I’m so happy he liked the field and wants to go further in it. There was no malice before this incident.

AITA for calling my uncle an rear end in a top hat?

quote:

Context: I, 24 F, have a sister who is 17 and will be graduating high-school this year. Unfortunately, she is terminally ill. Although my family is devastated by this news, we still want her to be happy and behave as a normal teen would.

A few days ago, my family hosted a get-together and most of the family came. It was going great and all was well until we sat down to eat. My grandma had asked my sister what colleges she wanted to apply to and as my sister started to list them, my uncle interrupted and said “I’m sorry, but what’s the point on wasting money on college if she’s not going to make it through all of it anyway?”

My uncle and father were the only ones laughing and i noticed my sisters face. She looked very hurt and didn’t find it funny. She then got up and walked into the kitchen. That is when I got upset. I told my uncle that that was the most idiotic thing he say and that he was an rear end in a top hat. I then went to console my sister.

The next day, my grandma gave me a call and said that my uncle said that he was making a joke and did not mean it that way and that I should apologize. I told her that the joke wasn’t funny and that my sister does not like to think about it and that HE should apologize. My mother thinks that although the joke was distasteful, because he is my uncle and he is an adult I should not have said that. The rest of the family agrees with her.

My uncle sent a message saying that he did not appreciate what I called him and that he did not mean it that way.

I do not agree with my family and i think my sister deserves a sincere apology, but i’m starting to think that I could’ve left it at him being “idiotic”.
So, am i the rear end in a top hat?

LOL LMAO LOL you gonna be dead in a few years! Hey, why aren't you laughing?

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 27, 2023