Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
a youtuber I follow The Hick Critic just finished a year plus project of his to watch and review all 1003* Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies shorts with a video ranking them all from worst to best, here's all 12 videos in order;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n6ZHLXEsso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMEJLXm_td0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPsHU5rUsGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSwpmk1joPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBMR5CAj70g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbUWz-C0ZDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCvA8nCPYXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4VARjxYOdA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WwfeVpJu1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMvh2L5_tUI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4YFgyE4DoA

*including the Looney Tunes "pilot" Bosko The Talk-Ink Kid, and the sole theatrical animated short Warner Bros released during the Golden Age that wasn't Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies branded Norman Normal, as for the Private Snafu shorts, well Hick Critic decided to exclude them from the project primarily due to not being made for the general public though he has said he'll probably do a video for them someday as well(and indeed has commented that he'll likely be doing similar projects for other Golden Age animation series and studios, particularly since most of them would be a lot shorter than this project was)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/NeKap/status/1695523728010994081

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
loving god dammit

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've also been watching a lot of old animated theatrical shorts lately while following along with a book about the history of early animation, and while I have a lot of broader conclusions that I'm developing, one of the major things I've noted is that boy, it sure seems like early Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies has way more blackface and minstrel references than any other studio.

Like most everybody did it (except for Fleischer cartoons, it seems totally absent there), I think the minstrel genre must've hit some kind of peak of cultural relevancy in the 30s, but it feels like there's just so much more in Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies.

And I mean specifically blackface and minstrel references, as opposed to just depicting black people, which is also inherently problematic in old cartoons, since even when there's not anything specifically offensive or defamatory being depicted, just the inherent pop culture idea of depicting black people just seems inherently dehumanizing, which is a shame.

I think the problematic cartoons might also be over-represented on Youtube since none of the rightsholders want to lay claim to them, but I feel uncomfortable about linking them and arguing about variable degrees of racism.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are the Warner cartoons more focussed on referencing Hollywood stuff overall? Lots of films in the 1930s up through like 1945 did blackface poo poo, as part of a minstrel thing and played straight like Olivier in Othello. I don’t know if all those studios were as hyper-focused on referencing actors and films because the cartoons were all meant for use in theaters, but the Warner ones seem to me, a non-expert, like they’re very interested in topical film references.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yeah, I heard about this on the radio today.

Oxxidation posted:

loving god dammit

And this is exactly what I said. :(

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah when it comes to Golden Age cartoons(or comics or indeed basically any media format from the first half of the 20th century) you kind of have to learn to just accept that there just will quite often be content that is racially insensitive or sexist in nature

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Are the Warner cartoons more focussed on referencing Hollywood stuff overall? Lots of films in the 1930s up through like 1945 did blackface poo poo, as part of a minstrel thing and played straight like Olivier in Othello. I don’t know if all those studios were as hyper-focused on referencing actors and films because the cartoons were all meant for use in theaters, but the Warner ones seem to me, a non-expert, like they’re very interested in topical film references.

They definitely do more Hollywood stuff. I know Bugs Bunny does a Groucho Marx impersonation in more than a few.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TwoPair posted:

They definitely do more Hollywood stuff. I know Bugs Bunny does a Groucho Marx impersonation in more than a few.

The Merrie Melody Hollywood Steps Out is entirely built on what the movie star landscape looked like circa 1941 and is completely impenetrable outside of the stock parodies if you're not familiar with early 40s pop culture.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Keep in mind that these shorts were literally made as the pre-movie entertainment at theaters. There's a reason a lot of them were movie-focused.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it may also have to do with just being in California where the movie business was booming and could not be ignored. That's another thing I think the Fleischers stand apart on because they stuck in New York.

I think the Looney Tunes big reference fest shorts probably hold together a lot better than some of the stuff that came from other studios, just from having the dedication to be fast with gags and really pack them in so there's more basic comedy in with the references. Here's other studios' examples from
Columbia studios/Screen Gems
Disney
Charles Mintz/Samba Pictures
The Van Beuren Corporation

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Branson Reese, the creator of Swan Boy, has a bunch of funny reviews of old theatrical cartoons.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

Branson Reese, the creator of Swan Boy, has a bunch of funny reviews of old theatrical cartoons.

Had to look up Pete Puma cause I couldn't remember him and lol did the memories start coming back when I saw him.

My dad loved Pete Puma so this review checks out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Reminder that Fiona & Cake finally starts today, anybody have a chance to check out the premiere yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Mutant Mayhem releases digitally tomorrow:

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-mayhem-digital-release-date-bonus-features/

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Happy 24th birthday to Mabel and Dipper Pines!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Madurai posted:

Dear lord...

*Stares in mirror while I melt away like I drank from the wrong Grail*

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Madurai posted:

Huh maybe I should rewatch Gravity Falls again. Hopefully without the pressure of having to a writeup afterwards will make it easier this time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Gravity Falls, is the Lost Legends graphic novel they released a few years ago any good?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Gravity Falls, is the Lost Legends graphic novel they released a few years ago any good?

Yes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cool, I’m planning a rewatch of the series eventually (along with Hirsch adjacent shows like Amphibia and The Owl House) so I’ll check it out then along with the shorts they released between the first and second seasons

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

I honestly don't like Gravity Falls as much as most people but the comic is a great extension of the story

I ended up getting most of the tie-in books for my kids and Lost Legends is definitely the best. There's also Journal #3, but it's mostly just a recap of the show so arguably inessential.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Reminder that Fiona & Cake finally starts today, anybody have a chance to check out the premiere yet?

Two episodes are up: absolute bangers. I can see why they packaged them together, the show’s hook is better communicated when you compare the episodes together. The core mid-life crisis storyline of it all is just really charming and compelling from the jump.

It’s very much a Adventure Time sequel in that I don’t think it’s possible to watch it without knowing the full context of the original show. Betty, Jake’s kids, even Choose Goose’s fate from Distant Lands. It doesn’t seem to be leaning too much on the multiverse concept too much so far, which is a relief when it’s been a bit overplayed the last few years.

Just a great time!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I just watched it myself. It’s basically Adventure Time except they can get away with a bit more now (and yeah, it’s very much not something a new viewer can just dive into)

Also apparently this will be 10 episodes in total with two releasing every Thursday

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 1, 2023

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watching it now and yeah, it’s good stuff. Also very pleasantly surprised they got Donald Glover back, but it’s a shame NPH didn’t return (Andrew Rannells is a great replacement tho)

Ellis P (both the name and the character) got a big laugh out of me

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Each episode is 26 minutes? Does that make it the longest single adventure time thing?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Distant Lands eps were around 45 minutes each.

e: holy poo poo episode 2, this owns a lot

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 1, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While we’re on the subject, are any of the various Adventure Time comics worth checking out?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Ryan North run is great. I never read any others.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
it's interesting to see some OG show crew that were absent from Distant Lands back; obviously there's them getting Rebecca Sugar and Pat McHale to write songs (though notably the first McHale song we've gotten, the one Marshall sings in the first ep, was co-written by OG series boarder Somvilay Xayaphone), but you also got stuff like Steve Wolfhard being one of the directors and Graham Falk returning to board

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apart from NPH we've pretty much got the same voice cast so far as well right?

Also I kind of hope we get a rendition of Island Song at some point in this series

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 1, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
A third of the way into this week's MAWS and I knew the general stuff was coming, but godddd this is EXACTLY the type of awkward identity poo poo I love lmao.

that loving ruled

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MorningMoon posted:

A third of the way into this week's MAWS and I knew the general stuff was coming, but godddd this is EXACTLY the type of awkward identity poo poo I love lmao.

that loving ruled

Yeah, same! Holy poo poo, I am so pumped to have GENERAL ZOD as the BBEG and friggin Brainiac as his No. 2, at least for the foreseeable future.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, same! Holy poo poo, I am so pumped to have GENERAL ZOD as the BBEG and friggin Brainiac as his No. 2, at least for the foreseeable future.

I don't think it's Zod, at least as we're used to him. The credits showed that the same woman who played Mrs. Kent was also listed as "Kryptonian Warrior." So either there's a gender swap or it's a different character. I wonder if it's Clark's Kryptonian mother? Simply because I'd love it if they had both moms played by the same person.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
we really really liked the beginning of MAWS because it was different from most superhero shows, but the second part of the finale really took a nosedive for us. big Evangelion with weird unspecified powers written like someone making stuff up on the fly was really taking us out of the fight. every villain in the show was so generic, so ending the episode with the promise of dealing with MORE generic villains in the next season wasn't very hopeful. and in contrast, the main cast is so strong and distinct!

great artistry all over, just kind of a shame the writing went the generic DC route

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meh, I still liked it. Anyway, that was a good finale for MAWS and hopefully we won’t have too long a wait until Season 2

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Entire Adventure Time series is on sale on iTunes for $10

https://x.com/igndeals/status/1697689566931533956?s=46

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

The three connected dot symbol is the big hint as to his involvement since that's basically his logo.

TheThirst posted:

I don't think it's Zod, at least as we're used to him. The credits showed that the same woman who played Mrs. Kent was also listed as "Kryptonian Warrior." So either there's a gender swap or it's a different character. I wonder if it's Clark's Kryptonian mother? Simply because I'd love it if they had both moms played by the same person.

It could be a lot of possibilities. It could be a stand-in VA because of how heavily modulated the voice is. If they are, indeed, a woman, there's at least a few possibilities including: Faora, commonly depicted as Zod's wife; Kara Zor-El aka Supergirl; I guess it could also be Lara Zor-El, Superman's kryptonian mother, but I think that's unlikely; and there's a few other possibilities for female Kryptonians that are on the more obscure side

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There’s no way Jimmy actually gets to keep the cash from the buyout for long. I give it until the next season finale at the latest for them to run into a situation where he needs to spend it all at once to save the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Well that was one hell of a finale