Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I remember that they happened, if that's what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i mean yeah, you either remember em or you don't

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm watching Street Trash. I dunno why but I just felt going with a goopy 80s movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I dunno why

Because you are a person of taste

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched The Blackening last night and enjoyed it. Probably not gonna rock anyone’s socks off but it’s a solid comedy. And as far as I know it’s the first horror movie set on Juneteenth, so there’s a new one for a “watch a horror movie set on a holiday” challenge that I’m sure will eventually come up again in a challenge thread.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched The Blackening last night and enjoyed it. Probably not gonna rock anyone’s socks off but it’s a solid comedy. And as far as I know it’s the first horror movie set on Juneteenth, so there’s a new one for a “watch a horror movie set on a holiday” challenge that I’m sure will eventually come up again in a challenge thread.

Oh I didn't know it was set on Juneteenth that is good information for when I try and complete the challenges.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Cobweb was extremely silly! My partner nailed it when they said that it felt like a horror film made for young children that had the violence and atmosphere amped up to be a film for adults.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Finally got around to seeing HEREDITARY with the bf, thoroughly creeped him out.

Having a lot of fun making clicking noises with my mouth and asking if he heard that sound.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SilentChaz posted:

lol, I love how absolutely no one in the thread has gone with The Purge: Election Year.

Exorcist 3 is my fav Exorcist, Election Year may not even be my second-fav Purge (The First Purge is number one, and then I'm torn between it and Anarchy)

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

One of the things I think the Purge series does really well is those brief, single shots of something hosed up that the movie doesn't really dwell on. The girl in a prom dress covered in blood and crying in the second one, the gang using a guillotine in the third one... I think those sticky little snapshots of violence are unbelievably effective at setting tone in a way that other films could really benefit from.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the Purge movies are big on half cooked ideas but really dumb at finishing those thoughts or piecing those parts together into a movie.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I think the Purge movies are big on half cooked ideas but really dumb at finishing those thoughts or piecing those parts together into a movie.

It's the one series I'm honestly surprised hasn't switched to the anthology format. They're always really great about set-pieces, it makes a lot more sense to have a movie based around those.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The best kill in NOES is puppet master kill.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hollismason posted:

The best kill in NOES is puppet master kill.
:wrong:

it's Roach Motel and it isn't particularly close either

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

It's the one series I'm honestly surprised hasn't switched to the anthology format. They're always really great about set-pieces, it makes a lot more sense to have a movie based around those.

The TV series is somewhat like this.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the best kill in NOES is always the next one cause hell yeah awesome kill comin up

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MariusLecter posted:

Finally got around to seeing HEREDITARY with the bf, thoroughly creeped him out.

Having a lot of fun making clicking noises with my mouth and asking if he heard that sound.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I don’t particularly care either way about the kill itself, the reveal of the dude’s body in the water bed in Dream Master always stuck with.

Mostly because it makes Freddy’s powers make no sense at all, but it’s also a pretty arresting visual.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's something that's very spooky, but also a bit slow and melancholy? That just lets you soak in that spooky atmosphere. Ideally pre-90s.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh, if it's best kill in the entire series, bed blood fountain and Welcome To Primetime Bitch are the solid gold classics.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmyleg posted:

What's something that's very spooky, but also a bit slow and melancholy? That just lets you soak in that spooky atmosphere. Ideally pre-90s.

Herzog’s Nosferatu.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The Lady in White. Go in totally blind. You will absolutely love it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

feedmyleg posted:

The Roger Corman House of Usher from 1960 is mostly Vincent Price talking about ill omens and inherited family curses on some spooky sets.

Vampyr from 1932 is basically all atmosphere.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Lady in White is on Tubi.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Masque of the Red Death is great, too. Just lots of cool atmosphere and Vincent Price being amazing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmyleg posted:

The Changeling.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

The Changeling.

Oh this is a good one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

LAKE MUNGO

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Oh, if it's best kill in the entire series, bed blood fountain and Welcome To Primetime Bitch are the solid gold classics.

Blood fountain all the way.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Finally watched Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. Just wonderful. I didn't actually expect it to lean into full horror movie territory, so I was thrilled when it went into that place. I'd always enjoyed Elvira herself, but in smaller doses as a host she never fully clicked. Now I'm fully in. Some of the puns got me good, like "How's your head?"

Decided on The Beyond for my slow spooky atmospheric movie. I'm only about 30 minutes in but I never realized this movie went so hard. I just assumed it was more a creepy moodpiece, not a goopy facemelter. Maybe people said it but I always just assumed they meant From Beyond.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 27, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

From Beyond also rules

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

feedmyleg posted:

Finally watched Elvira: Mistress of the Dark. Just wonderful. I didn't actually expect it to lean into full horror movie territory, so I was thrilled when it went into that place. I'd always enjoyed Elvira herself, but in smaller doses as a host she never fully clicked. Now I'm fully in. Some of the puns got me good, like "How's your head?"

"And if they ever ask about me, tell them I was more than just a great set of boobs. I was also an incredible pair of legs" is an all-time great line delivery. She's so drat funny. Great movie - I have a Blu-Ray steelbook in the mail and I'm excited for it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

The Changeling

edit:beaten. for the modern The Changeling, try The Night House.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 27, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

“I inherited a spooky witch’s house” should be the premise of more movies.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

lol

saw Talk to Me with a couple friends a few weeks back. half-way through the movie I was afraid I was gonna get slapped for traumatising them, but they ended up loving it!

it was also cool to see a movie set in my home city of Adelaide, with the familiar local signage, busses and suburban settings.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

“I inherited a spooky witch’s house” should be the premise of more movies.

I definitely didn't plan an "Inherited a Spooky House" double-feature but I'm glad it happened.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Zillow should have a "spooky house" filter.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Who wants to open a dive bar with me and call it "The Sunken Place"?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Dead Alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nikumatic posted:

Cobweb was extremely silly! My partner nailed it when they said that it felt like a horror film made for young children that had the violence and atmosphere amped up to be a film for adults.

Absolutely, it feels like Matilda with gore.