Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Development of Star Citizen: A Story in Two Photos

looks more like the story of how a lovely mane was grown

Incitatus posted:

depending on what im playing im a gamescummer

aren't we all.... aren't we all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

lmfao

(im the empty paper towel roll in the back)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

"and here you can see the tools CIG uses to build the content pipeline"

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

Financialfreude?

This game sure is a freude.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

JugbandDude posted:

I tried RDR2 again, after bouncing off it initially on release, and i'm really enjoying it now.

Even though keyboard/mouse controls are utter console crap, the game is actually the closest to a livable single-player universe i've ever played.

The amount of detail brings about the so called immersion and fidelity citizens crave for.

And SC will never, ever get anywhere close to it.

It’s good, but I never finished it. The disconnect between the open world and the extremely linear missions essentially being two separate games started to ware on my by the halfway mark.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
What, was it made by Rockstar or something?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

RDR2's open world is amazing and the story, in a vacuum, is pretty great. The railroaded braindead missions are the bitter medicine you have to take to enjoy the good parts.

Now let me pitch you. What if the open world was some star citizen planets, the story was written and directed by chris roberts, and the missions were still railroaded and braindead

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/03UOUeF.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

This is the reason no one takes this kind of guff seriously.

You have no idea what is in the game apart from the revealed A list actors. What have you seen? A short vertical slice that took 1 hour to play through and didn't even take up all the possible options in that section of the game, it didn't even start at the very beginning of that chapter, and it ended long before the end of that chapter - that chapter alone has more events in it, and more things for the player to do, than some AAA games (Like COD Infinite Warfare for example)... and a trailer that tells you, you don't even start the game as a navy pilot.

Where are you in the trailer? Aboard a Javelin - why?. Does Captain McLaren sound like she's talking to a tourist? "I see you've applied to join the flight academy again". She knows you, knows your history. Of all the video we've been shown she and Old Man Colton are the only ones who don't refer to you by your rank. You're not there as a navy pilot, how are you going to become a navy pilot in time for your first posting aboard the Stanton? Why are you present to witness Admiral Bishop say "We will not lose this system" in a fight with the Vanduul, and then later in a different star system fighting mercenaries as a rookie pilot?

You have no idea how long it will take to complete the game. Do you even know that there is a game within the game that will take hours, it's where you do all your training? The average first person story driven triple A takes around 7 - 10 hours. Judging by what I've seen, an average player playing for 3 - 4 hours a day 4 - 5 days a week is going to take a couple of months to finish the game. If anyone is thinking to take the day off work to do a caffeine fueled red-eye playthrough, you won't even get through the first 2 chapters.

You have not much clue about the technical advancement that has gone into the game, even though we have a Roadmap and anyone could go out and find what the limitations of other games are compared to what CIG are doing... but why bother? You can just assume what you like and bang on about it. But then complain if people don't take the argument seriously.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

oh ya of course he has seen super secret dev versions of the game wherein it has a couple months worth of gameplay

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

You have no idea what is in the game apart from the revealed A list actors. What have you seen?

Even when they get it right they miss the point completely.

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

No Mods No Masters posted:

Unless things have really decayed there isn't a german gaming organization existing that would actually go after CIG, star citizen is their nation's god. Maybe one german indie mag did critical articles like 5 years ago (and got shouted down into oblivion)

Looks like Crytek started out as a German company.
And CIG employeed a lot of ex Crytek people when Crytek couldnt lay their workers for awhile.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Bushboy2000 posted:

when Crytek couldnt lay their workers for awhile

Fair play to Crytek for going above and beyond in the realm of employee wellness.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I've been following the LTT dumpster fire and just made the connection because their latest video is doubling-down and even worse. And you've already beaten me ot the joke, well played sir.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Assigned to: Nightrider-CIG

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mirificus posted:

Assigned to: Nightrider-CIG

Seems to be in line with policy.
The same policy that put a confirmed sexpest (who has harassed members of the community) in control of security for a community event.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Mirificus posted:

Judging by what I've seen, an average player playing for 3 - 4 hours a day 4 - 5 days a week is going to take a couple of months to finish the game

I wish I had more than 15 minutes a day to do anything lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1695092831025598859

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

wow they're really promoting this pyro bullshit

i sure hope they have it ready in time for citcon and they don't poo poo the bed again and push it into 2024....

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

I've been to 2 CitizenCons, BritizenCon 2016 and several BarCitizens, as well as one UK office visit - it is a place where you get to speak to the developers directly, how often does that happen with other games you play? Mostly about the information they have just given but also more detailed stuff, they can put it all into context. It's nice to be able to go into the game and be able to say, I met the guy who made that, he explained why they made it that way.

It's also a place where the team can speak to the players directly and that has an impact on their feeling about the project and it gives them ideas. It is as much of a motivational event for the team as it is for the community. Game developers don't very often get to meet those who play their games, almost certainly not while the game is being made, it changes their attitude to what they are doing now that they don't have to work in absolute secrecy all the time.

You find out things you don't find on video presentations, like how do they feel about working for CIG. They become real people, not just talking images on a screen.

Like trying to explain colour to someone blind from birth, you don't know what you don't know, when you attend these events, you see a little more, a little deeper. Asking questions online most feel ghosted, we're just a part of a crowd, when you ask in person you might not get the answer you want but at least you know they heard you. You can look them in the face, some of the attitudes and language we see directed at team members wouldn't happen if it was all face to face.

You listen to some who try to present an image of Chris and realise, he's just as much of a gamer big kid as the rest of us, he likes to see the costumes people make, the art they are inspired to make, and he talks about other games. He engages with people. When he says he's making the game he always dreamed about playing, that becomes clear when you meet him but each member of the team has their own personality and approach, some are outgoing and lively, some not as much. I've only ever met one team member I didn't like much, he left the company years ago. Generally people who meet Brian Chambers come away with a positive view of him and a respect for his years of experience, he talks to you as though you matter he takes the time to listen and explain things, you can see how he interacts with other members of the team, the same with Tony Zurovec, he is one smart cookie. Todd Papy has a sense of humour and is easy to talk to, just about anyone would be happy to have him as their boss. I've been to other conventions and such, at CIG events you don't get the impression they are there 'just to do a job'.

Producing games is an art form, which artist doesn't like to see others enjoying, engaging with and noticing the details of their labour?

The ship hype stuff doesn't get that much attention when you're actually there, and of course we get the collectibles and see the artistry and ingenuity of other members of the community. The events are full of 'personality's' both known and unknown, you get a bit of epeeing about ships they own and the size of their fleet. The talk isn't all about patch watching it's more about dreams for the future of the game, so that makes a nice change. You find our community (including CIG team members) is generally a tolerant, courteous, well informed, friendly (even generous) bunch nothing like what you see online. First and foremost, for most people who go it's a social thing they are just as keen to go to the after-party meet ups, CIG staff always attend them, you get to hear some gossip about personality's in the community, that sort of thing.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

this guy is almost as un-hinged as Ben, in fact maybe moreso

here is how my brain works for video games

1) I see video game or hear about video game I like

2) i wait for it to be playable and download and play it

this guy is skipping straight to THIS VIDEO GAME IS MY LIFE FROM NOW ON AND I IDENTIFY WITH THE DEVELOPERS

you met some turbo nerds at a convention the company put on to market the game, in which they have taken over 500-600 millions of dollars from people and have failed to produce anything of substance, yet they KEEP taking and putting on these grandiose shows about how much they're doing

stop pretending this is high art and the world will be absolutely amazed when Chris manages to squat down long enough for the game to fall out of his rear end

it will be played by people, it will be forgotten about after 6-8 weeks

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That guy is a development partner and you will treat him with the respect that commands.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
If Pyro gets released at CitizenCon I will literally die of shock and rise as a lich to conquer the world with an army of undead.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Don't you dare, do not profane the words of Dr Professor Alice Roberts, she digs for Britain among other things.

I saw her on Time Team

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I know I said this back in 2019 when I thought they for sure had to give a release date for SQ42 at CitCon (lol)

But I do think they are going to either announce a SQ42 release date or that Pyro is coming Q1 2024. The backers are getting ever more restless these days and I think even CIG knows they need to do (or at least announce) something big. I of course don't think anything will be coming for awhile and it'll be broken as the rest of the game but actually delivering doesn't matter, they gotta sell some JPEGS.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Mirificus posted:

Judging by what I've seen, an average player playing for 3 - 4 hours a day 4 - 5 days a week is going to take a couple of months to finish the game.

100 hours minimum?!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Popete posted:

I know I said this back in 2019 when I thought they for sure had to give a release date for SQ42 at CitCon (lol)

But I do think they are going to either announce a SQ42 release date or that Pyro is coming Q1 2024. The backers are getting ever more restless these days and I think even CIG knows they need to do (or at least announce) something big. I of course don't think anything will be coming for awhile and it'll be broken as the rest of the game but actually delivering doesn't matter, they gotta sell some JPEGS.

I don't think they will ever announce a release date on anything, ever. That would just be scheduling the cash cow for execution.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think they will ever announce a release date on anything, ever. That would just be scheduling the cash cow for execution.

honestly at this point i am surprised they haven't started shilling individual development tasks as needing extra support, like a kick starter for their bullshit made up buzz words

like a seperate funding stream you can contribute to, to make sure 'server meshing' gets finished!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I am surprised they haven’t crowd sourced some of the development to volunteers at this point.

That would be peak grift.

Seriously you know someone would make textures or build a cockpit or flight model with great enthusiasm and for free

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

I am surprised they haven’t crowd sourced some of the development to volunteers at this point.

Seriously you know someone would make textures or build a cockpit or flight model with great enthusiasm and for free

they're probably gun shy about volunteers or non-employees (whom are bound by contracts other legal things like the threat or ortwin hovering over their bed)

since the greatest starship (i forget the actual name of it) contest where the convicted sex criminal mentioned it as part of his defense testimony

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

they're probably gun shy about volunteers or non-employees (whom are bound by contracts other legal things like the threat or ortwin hovering over their bed)

since the greatest starship (i forget the actual name of it) contest where the convicted sex criminal mentioned it as part of his defense testimony

Pff. Between Ben and the Wudge and Chris and Strangli and and the starship guy, it seems pretty clear that a bit of criminal activity and general sexpestry is just par for the course over at CI¬G.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Popete posted:

I think they’ll show off Pyro and go on a giant victory lap that they have two star systems that look exactly the same after only 12 years and 600 million dollars.

As far as SQ42, I think they’ll just let it continue to be a black hole. Maybe they’ll show off a cinematic tease of Mark Hamil version 10.3 or something.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

Wait, what?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Many moons ago, they held a “design your own starship” community contest to show that this was the best community and CI¬G had the best community relations ever, unlike those grubby evil publishers and they cohort game studios. They proceeded to pick a winner and paraded the guy and his creation around in various official capacities to further hammer the message home.

Said guy was later thrown in prison, having been charged with and found guilty of statutory rape.

Just Star Citizen things.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.webcenterfairbanks.com/content/news/Man-sentenced-to-45-years-for-raping-a-child--462207873.html

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks I didn’t want to read, nor will I click on, that URL.

The one sentence summary sufficed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

dialhforhero posted:

Thanks I didn’t want to read, nor will I click on, that URL.

The one sentence summary sufficed.

A very wise choice

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

oh come on you need to at least post the best part

this is what the guy said to the judge that was sentencing him

"Once I'm in prison, I feel like I can have a positive influence on the culture. From a professional standpoint I would really like to return to concept art. I don't know if you have had a chance to look at my demo reel or my resume? But I am an internationally award winning concept artist."

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Shame he wasn't sentenced to .45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

dialhforhero posted:

Another problem with accepting volunteers is that, no matter what, some poor bastard at CIG would be responsible for dealing with the volunteers and with whatever they manage to submit. That's just a phenomenally lovely, time-consuming, difficult job, and as other have already pointed out, it's made even worse by the specific people who'd be volunteering. It's maybe the one thing I could see anyone working there outright refuse to have any involvement with, not even if Chris himself bumbled up next to them and directly told them to do it.