Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The proto-BT scheme on the Heresy Consul is real snazzy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

bij posted:

The proto-BT scheme on the Heresy Consul is real snazzy.

Yeah, that’s the Imperial Fists Templar Brethren colours. I’ve seen quite a few 40k Imperial Fists armies done with their Bladeguard/Sternguard using that scheme and it looks outstanding.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Yeah, that’s the Imperial Fists Templar Brethren colours. I’ve seen quite a few 40k Imperial Fists armies done with their Bladeguard/Sternguard using that scheme and it looks outstanding.

That's a fine way to differentiate elites and break up the sea of yellow, not that there is anything wrong with a sea of yellow.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Every Battle Sister model that makes you glue her shin to her calf is my enemy.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Having to glue faces to heads in Necromunda pisses me off.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

the Cawdor sprue is really nice for conversions, there's only a few ridiculous things about it and it's mainly one of the sculpts where you have to glue a single leg to the torso.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

While I enjoy the building and modeling aspect, I suck so horribly much rear end at sculpting green stuff that it frustrates me. There's so many ideas I have, and I see other people's execution with green stuff, then I try it and it looks like poo poo that never sculpts in any way I can wrap my brain around working with.

this is partially a "keep at it" thing. figure out what you can do now that you like the look of. then, find situations to use that. you'll naturally learn things as you try to make it look better, or try to adapt it a little.

for example, i felt okay jamming up gaps with green stuff and not much more. that was fine, i just used it in mostly non-visible areas. then, well, maybe i can make this look more like actual muscles, even if they're weird and mutated and wrong? oh, that actually worked out pretty decent, that actually looks like something that kinda makes sense. i'll do that again. etc. etc.

SuperKlaus posted:

it's so much better than seam lines that run down the middle of an armor plate tbf

OR THROUGH THE GODDAMN DOGSHIT MIDDLE OF A MARINE SHOULDER PAD

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SuperKlaus posted:

I hated assembling a ten box of sisters so much.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I found that when working with greenstuff it's often easier to work in several layers. Start with the general shape and let it cure before doing surface detail and textures. Doing things one at a time allows you to remove any failed attempts without ruining earlier steps. It means a project takes a week to finish instead of an afternoon, of course, so be ready for that.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

it's so much better than seam lines that run down the middle of an armor plate tbf

OR THROUGH THE GODDAMN DOGSHIT MIDDLE OF A MARINE SHOULDER PAD

Almost every Battle Sister does that too. The shoulder pads are all joined half front to half back and you get a seam snaking through your fleur de lis.

I'm getting a taste for conversions and customizing too though. It's really fun. Reminds me of my absolute favorite Dawn of War line. You would give the Ork Dok an order to use powers on friendlies and he'd bubble up, giddy with high-pitched excitement:

"Fresh meat! I can make so many improvements!"

(runner up: his "unit produced" line: "'oo's ready for surgery?")

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I miss Dawn of War.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

If you hate assembling, get up on Middle Earth. I mean, the characters are sometimes a little fiddly, but the rank and file are usually either 1 or 2 piece models and still look pretty good. I don't mind any part of hobbying, but man, too much assembly will burn me out. Love painting though; finished these dudes today.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I went to my 1st tournament yesterday for my 3rd+ 40k games and had a good time. Running 100+ nids was probably a horrible mistake. The Sydney players were friendly and very forgiving to a new player. I of course lost all three games but still had a good time.

A few things of note.

Shadow in the warp is kind of useless, especially with armies that have sticky objectives.

JFC Eldar are broken. So many mortal wounds flying out from indirect D cannons just burning my swarms down plus all of the other stuff. I got tabled in 3 turns.

Still had fun, but yeah gently caress Eldar.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Raged posted:

I went to my 1st tournament yesterday for my 3rd+ 40k games and had a good time. Running 100+ nids was probably a horrible mistake. The Sydney players were friendly and very forgiving to a new player. I of course lost all three games but still had a good time.

A few things of note.

Shadow in the warp is kind of useless, especially with armies that have sticky objectives.

JFC Eldar are broken. So many mortal wounds flying out from indirect D cannons just burning my swarms down plus all of the other stuff. I got tabled in 3 turns.

Still had fun, but yeah gently caress Eldar.

Shadow's pretty :flaccid: yeah. Even in my best use of it, battleshocking most of a Blood Angel army it didn't really do much beyond making him spend a CP for insane bravery to hold the home objective. Battleshock in general's just kind of undercooked, it doesn't really do anything most of the time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I played this for the first time today, and it was honestly a lot of fun!

Was thinking of getting a small sort of starter army, and the sisters of battle seem like a fun faction with miracles and stuff

I assume all the stuff in the op is still relevant? I found a few starter lists with some casual googling where you take the basic combat patrol kit and add a few things, so I assume that's the way to go?

Edit: also sorry for the drive by post! I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy the game as much as I did. I'd always heard it was really hard but the basics were super easy to pick up and fun to play

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 27, 2023

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I played this for the first time today, and it was honestly a lot of fun!

Was thinking of getting a small sort of starter army, and the sisters of battle seem like a fun faction with miracles and stuff

I assume all the stuff in the op is still relevant? I found a few starter lists with some casual googling where you take the basic combat patrol kit and add a few things, so I assume that's the way to go?

Edit: also sorry for the drive by post! I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy the game as much as I did. I'd always heard it was really hard but the basics were super easy to pick up and fun to play

10th ed and OP is only a few months old! Combat patrol is definitely the suggested entry point and then you can expand from that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

10th ed and OP is only a few months old! Combat patrol is definitely the suggested entry point and then you can expand from that.

Ah ok! Thanks, literally the perfect time to be joining.

This was the article I looked at: https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-started-sisters-of-battle-adepta-sororitas/

Which actually sounds like it might be somewhat related to the site come to think of it. Is this stuff still valid? I guess it's a few years old so maybe not?

I'd just build towards it to start though, Rather than slam jamming everything all as once probably. Maybe I should search for specific 10th edition stuff?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sisters of Battle are in a weird spot where they were really good in 9th, nerfed to just ok and now in 10th they're real stinky. They will get their time in the sun again whenever they get their codex or maybe the September balance update but it's a bit of a struggle bus right now. Balance comes and goes but models are eternal so get what you like at first and worry about the actual crunchy min maxing later.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Eej posted:

Sisters of Battle are in a weird spot where they were really good in 9th, nerfed to just ok and now in 10th they're real stinky. They will get their time in the sun again whenever they get their codex or maybe the September balance update but it's a bit of a struggle bus right now. Balance comes and goes but models are eternal so get what you like at first and worry about the actual crunchy min maxing later.

That's fair, I mostly just think they sound fun to play and think their models are super cool :shobon:

There's just a lot of choice so I was trying to plan ahead, but I guess for now I'll mostly just focus on maximizing the cool factor and worry about picking up other stuff later!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Goonhammer have been rolling out new Get Started articles around one a day during the week, so a 10e one for Sisters should be along before too long. The articles are definitely focused on tournament players but it's still useful for casuals.

paperface
Apr 20, 2005

My name's paperface, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Decorus posted:

Speaking of being mad, my LGS told me that GW has stopped supplying them with Munitorum Varnish. Apparently they've stopped production completely?

If I have to start looking for a reliable replacement I will be very upset.

I've been looking out for Munitorum Varnish for several months now, it's like hen's teeth. Dunno if he was spoofing, but the manager of my local GW store told me that they had to do a recall because of a change in labelling regulations and it's slated to come back into production when they have the capacity.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Controversial assembly opinion: resin is better than plastic because while you might have to shave things down and heat bend stuff you don’t have to loving sit there daintily removing mould lines all day like a clown.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I find plastic much more enjoyable to put together than resin, and I say that as someone who is pretty big into 3d printing and my resin models come out way easier to assemble than most commercial/forgeworld stuff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hate working with resin in any form other than single piece small miniatures that are already cleaned up. I find resin brittle, sanding takes ages, and depending on the source assembling is a giant pain. You may have to gently hacksaw pieces clean. I'll still use it but its never the first choice. I suppose its a good reason to own some 2 part epoxy though.

Plastic and by extension plastic cement are an absolute dream to work with. Easy to manipulate, strong. Light, durable. Good stuff. Expensive tooling is the production limitation, as I understand it. Though I don't know how the best 3D printing compares. Probably well.

At least we no longer have to assemble multi part models made of lead.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I assume all the stuff in the op is still relevant?

:shepicide:

Lol just kidding, welcome to the hobby!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mr Teatime posted:

Controversial assembly opinion: resin is better than plastic because while you might have to shave things down and heat bend stuff you don’t have to loving sit there daintily removing mould lines all day like a clown.

Resin owns because you generate carcinogenic dust just by sanding

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

:shepicide:

Lol just kidding, welcome to the hobby!

In my defense I'm very dumb and am used to threads being very out of date. I did actually (mostly) read it, I just sort of assumed the new edition was more like relatively new than new new :v:

It's a good op!!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've worked with resin professionally a ton and despite that I could never imagine preferring it to plastic. To each their own, but plastic is just so easy, especially for conversions. Plus, if I sand it I don't have to do a huge detailed clean up immediately after.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I actually find pewter pretty enjoyable to work with. The weight is nice, assuming it isn't a particularly top heavy model

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Improbable Lobster posted:

I actually find pewter pretty enjoyable to work with. The weight is nice, assuming it isn't a particularly top heavy model

Silly question perhaps, but do you have any tips? I have some skaven warlocks that I bought at the US Open that are in pewter and I'm not sure how to put them together or whether I need to pin the arms and stuff...
Do I use the same pin drill and drill bits? Do I need to pin the arms?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

stackofflapjacks posted:

Silly question perhaps, but do you have any tips? I have some skaven warlocks that I bought at the US Open that are in pewter and I'm not sure how to put them together or whether I need to pin the arms and stuff...

I haven't had any issues using the same pin drill and bits to pin my pewter as my plastic. Pinning definitely is important but wrms don't always neeeeed them if they're light. It eould depend on how they're posed and armed, haha

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stackofflapjacks posted:

Jewellry files to sand any unfortunate trim, I never pinned any regular size metal miniatures as I found 2 part epoxy resin adequare to hold them together. Pinning is more for when you're trying to build a large scale fully metal dragon together and its made of actual lead, which is what we all used before white metal pewter became cool.

Lead was easier to work with but heavier, bendy if not careful and you know, lead.

Superglue is both fantastic but also a pain to work with because no matter how hard I try that poo poo gets everywhere and it takes a while to grow new skin after gluing fingers together by accident. I'd rather mix resin adhesives and live with the long drying time. Administer via toothpicks.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Virtual Russian posted:

I've worked with resin professionally a ton and despite that I could never imagine preferring it to plastic. To each their own, but plastic is just so easy, especially for conversions. Plus, if I sand it I don't have to do a huge detailed clean up immediately after.

I’m being facetious really with a declaration like that but honestly I genuinely do find the difficulties of resin much less frustrating somehow. I couldn’t tell you why but I can quite happily sit down and spend an evening bending, filling and carving away to get the perfect fit on a wonky resin vehicle hull while watching something but I can’t do the same when it comes to a pile of plastic parts when I know I need to sit and clean them up.

Random PSA: the citadel mould line remover tool is infinitely more useful to shave large flat resin vehicle contact points flush than it is at removing mould lines.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The citadel mould line remover is actually really good at destroying the thick rear end mould lines on Tyranid Warriors and Carnifexes since those kits are so old.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
How big a problem is mould lines today? I've recently assembled plastic custodes and sisters of silence, and while I had to file down sprue attachment points, I did not notice much in the way of mould lines.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Athas posted:

How big a problem is mould lines today? I've recently assembled plastic custodes and sisters of silence, and while I had to file down sprue attachment points, I did not notice much in the way of mould lines.

Depends on the cast. Modern plastics are generally pretty good. Of course if we're talking non-40k then it depends a lot on the origin and era. We can still buy metal minis first cast over 20 years ago.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Modern sculpts are pretty good about hiding mould lines behind connections, but you've still gotta watch out for them.

Discovering a gnarly mould line while applying a wash/drybrush is a hobby tradition that isn't going anywhere.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

multipart capes and cloaks are my main issue with modern kits. Its not the end of the world but annoying at how good they are at hiding other joins

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Kingdom death miniatures are probably my personal gold standard for hiding mold lines by concealing them with clothing or body part joins. Wrong scale for 40k though, sadly. Unless you want alterative greater demons I suppose.

I guess actual Gundam kits are good too. They're on a different level though due to the focus being vehicles not human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Kits from a couple years ago (like 2019 onwards maybe?) only need a rough pass or two of the back of a hobby knife to clear out mould lines.