Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So many things wrong with this one. Proud of money laundering and mario beating off I suppose.
https://twitter.com/alyzesam/status/1694694381641429442

edit: her website is even worse and looks like some geocities material.

I read "geocities" in the same cadence as you'd read "atrocities", and I'm not sure my mind was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

drk posted:

pssh offering 100x returns is an obvious scam.

sathoshi willed us to use logarithmic scales and make up new kinds of chart crimes to pump our bags

the chart legend unsurprisingly tells us now, as ever, is a good time to buy bitcoin

Did anyone say "ultrabuyalot" yet?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Was there ever any actual use for a logarithmic scale for graphs or have they always just used it to wildly represent their data to support their own twisted hypotheses

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

OneEightHundred posted:

If you pan the chart to the right you can see the rainbow coming back down to the pot of gold at 0.

Except that's not gold in the chamber pot.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

SettingSun posted:

Was there ever any actual use for a logarithmic scale for graphs or have they always just used it to wildly represent their data to support their own twisted hypotheses

In general? There's certainly a use for wildly ranging data sets, but it's more a tool in the toolbox than a necessity.

In Bitcoin? What does your heart tell you?

It's the latter one. It made one of the early bitcoin charts have a huge hockystick at one point IIRC so now it's just a meme.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Log scale is «useful» for Bitcoin because you can capture all the boom and bust cycles from the beginning in the same chart. Otherwise most of the chart would be a practically flat line.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

I read "geocities" in the same cadence as you'd read "atrocities", and I'm not sure my mind was wrong.

I don't think you can ever be wrong with the comparison when it comes to crypto, but it's pretty bad/half assed for someone trying to grift.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Log scale or as it's commonly known, wood chip.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only log scale I need is the one from Bristol.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

SettingSun posted:

In general or in crypto? Log scales are useful in science; the pH scale is logarithmic, for example

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

SettingSun posted:

They absolutely have uses, but if they're being used honestly the author should probably draw particular attention to the fact it's a log scale.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boxturret posted:

This is the first time I've ever considered that there may be people who pronounce nft as nifty...

Wait until you hear what 'scuzzy' was supposed to be.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Rather than "100x-ing", the token immediately plummeted when DeSalvo sold his ~41 billion Blazar tokens. DeSalvo is accused of using his profits from the scheme to speculate on other crypto tokens, pay for personal expenses, and reimburse one investor

Even when you're a scammer who just pulled off a scam you immediately re invest in other people's exact same scams??

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

bandaid.friend posted:

Rather than "100x-ing", the token immediately plummeted when DeSalvo sold his ~41 billion Blazar tokens. DeSalvo is accused of using his profits from the scheme to speculate on other crypto tokens, pay for personal expenses, and reimburse one investor

Even when you're a scammer who just pulled off a scam you immediately re invest in other people's exact same scams??

Maybe if you pull off scams you might think you can spot them and see a little profit by doing quick little trades right before the rugpull?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Crypto has been like 90% scammers scamming scammers from the start. It's the same with the adjacent goldbug and sovereign citizen and stonks poo poo, that same personality type is attracted magnetically to anything that looks like an opportunity to get one over on someone.

Heck, it's even one of the classic categories of scam, to make someone think they're scamming or exploiting you so they let their guard down and aren't likely to tell anyone about it til you're long gone.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 26, 2023

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
“Scammer, no scamming!” shouts Dora the Bitcoiner, but he always does

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

So many things wrong with this one. Proud of money laundering and mario beating off I suppose.
https://twitter.com/alyzesam/status/1694694381641429442

edit: her website is even worse and looks like some geocities material.
If you are going to pronounce it "nifty," Mario should say "It's-a NFT"

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

:science:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

You know we can’t understand that without a graph!

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I'm worried. He's degenerated to the point of talking in pictographs. It's like the downside slope of Flowers for Algernon, but in this case there was never any peak for him to come down from

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

So dumb. We already have digital money, bitcoin is just a shittier version of it, just like there are lovely vehicles and good vehicles. None of the other concept to concept art was to a specific brand name of a product.

Although those tiny cars are really lovely, maybe the graphic is saying "here's the worst replacement." That light bulb looks janky as hell and maybe the laptop is some kind of lovely chromebook.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

SWIFT predates Merkle Trees by six years. Game. Set. Match.

In other words, the problem of secure transfers of money was solved before many of you were born.

oh, and I almost forgot:

buttcoin

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 27, 2023

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

wow, people saying it with words was so obviously dumb and wrong, but seeing it with emojis....this will really speak to the youths of today

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
this is good for bitcoin

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

7 of those things exists and still have value and uses though?

like scented candles have interesting roni detection.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

You... you turned my sister into a hamburger?! MODS????

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

drk posted:

pssh offering 100x returns is an obvious scam.

sathoshi willed us to use logarithmic scales and make up new kinds of chart crimes to pump our bags

the chart legend unsurprisingly tells us now, as ever, is a good time to buy bitcoin

many leprechauns died to bring us this savvy financial advice

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Fur20 posted:

this is good for bitcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It also explains so much to remember most Bitcoin people are drugged up to gently caress. SBF may have permanently damaged his brain from mainlining the real poo poo.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
The image is a bit misleading, since paper money is superior to bitcoin in every way. If bitcoin was the only digital currency around, it would still be much faster, cheaper and safer to stuff money in an envelope and posting it to pay for something than trying to transfer that money digitally. Not that it would make sense in this scenario to try to transfer sums in hundreds of dollars anyway, there would be way too many corporations/banks/governments sending millions every day, who are always prepared to pay way more than you to cut ahead of you in the queue.

It's like the opposite of a fail-safe, it's a fail-guarantee - the more people try to use bitcoin as money, the less useful it becomes as wait times and gas fees increase. Even now, when most users treat bitcoin as valuables rather than money, that's still sometimes too much happening at the same time for the blockchain to handle. So even if, say, you grocery store accepted bitcoin as payment, you would already run the risk of not being able to pay when you want to due to wait times. That's now, when no-one is even trying to pay for anything other than drugs or ransom money with bitcoin.

So even if everyone accepted bitcoin, and there were no scammers or hackers to look out for, even when everything is working as intended your money occasionally just stops working for a few hours if your money is bitcoin. This will happen more often and the waiting times and prices will increase sharply the more people use bitcoin. How exactly is this an upgrade from paper money?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SettingSun posted:

They're useful for anything with exponential growth because the slope of growth on the log plot shows the rate of growth. They're also used inherently if you're plotting an already logged value like decibels.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
In any case the log plot isn't the problem with that graph, it's the projection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It also explains so much to remember most Bitcoin people are drugged up to gently caress. SBF may have permanently damaged his brain from mainlining the real poo poo.

so one coiner damaged their brain from giving themseleves heat stroke, and Friedman fried his brain on drugs.