Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Orv posted:

Mostly doing a lot of work here for a game whose entire back third is kind of terrible

I've given it some thought and nah I don't think the back half is designed as well as the first but it's not straight up bad either just ok. By then you've learned to navigate the more obscure aspects of the game and can parry or dodge roll pretty efficiently. In turn the weaker level design almost feels like a gauntlet which I still enjoyed.

Except for lost izalith fuuuuck that whole area..it's bad. Everything else is inoffensive at best and does come with cool new enemies and environments, it just doesn't look as pretty when stacked to the first half which is god tier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

The other two Dark Souls are far worse than two. Dks1 is a boring slog where you can skip a fourth of the game and three is a total mess of areas and story all slapped around haphazard.

:bighow:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gaius Marius posted:

The other two Dark Souls are far worse than two. Dks1 is a boring slog where you can skip a fourth of the game and three is a total mess of areas and story all slapped around haphazard.

It is kinda funny how bad people melted down over that loving elevator :argh: but apparently if you just say time and space are being crunched by vague metaphysical bullshit you can get away with slapping areas together any which way. :v:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
At the end of the day the art direction is much more cohesive in DS3 (bloodborne but medieval) so stupid geography aside that cohesiveness really counts for a lot esp for people who only play these admittedly exhausting games once

I say this as someone who will always replay DS2 because it's so good

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm not daft enough to say DS3 is ugly, but it could've used about 60% fewer greeblies and other excessive detailing. It has strong art design, but several areas manage to be exhausting to look at and ultimately don't stick out as well as they should. Demon Ruins is also, of course, a particular low point.

And honestly I feel kinda vindicated after thinking that for so long only to have Elden Ring dial all that waaay back and let areas breathe more.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 26, 2023

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

DS3's Demon Ruins look like it was made with a prototype of Doom 2016's SnapMap editor. Invading there is even less fun than Pontiff's backyard.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I like the clutter in DS3. It’s the end of the end of the world, and all the dust and debris is piling up.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Greebling up your normal maps goes a long way, it's relatively cheap on computing and developer resources. So is copious amounts of PS3 era bloom.

DS2 graphics just don't hold up in the same way as DS1 and DS3 alas.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I think all three Dark Souls are blinders but 2 is my most favourite of them, followed by 3 because it is the closest to Bloodborne and then 1 because it was the most difficult to play after having just beaten Bloodborne.

II has some magic in it (not the spells but the game) that caputed me and still does. I have replayed it and replayed it with a full conversion mod and both times were as much fun as the first. An alltimer game that did not just replicate the incredibly lauded game preceeding but went for its own wild swings and occasionaly, very nearly, exceeded that grasp. I have immense love and pride for DSII. :hai:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KingSlime posted:

I've given it some thought and nah I don't think the back half is designed as well as the first but it's not straight up bad either just ok. By then you've learned to navigate the more obscure aspects of the game and can parry or dodge roll pretty efficiently. In turn the weaker level design almost feels like a gauntlet which I still enjoyed.

Except for lost izalith fuuuuck that whole area..it's bad. Everything else is inoffensive at best and does come with cool new enemies and environments, it just doesn't look as pretty when stacked to the first half which is god tier

The game holds up to scrutiny even acknowledging its flaws, you don't need to pretend those areas aren't bad.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Gaius Marius posted:

been saying this.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Huh. It'd be a shame if you could skip a fourth of dark souls 2, and if it was a mess of areas and story all slapped around haphazard.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DS2 makes me feel warm and comfy in a way the other games don't. Especially DS3, which always puts me on edge because everything wants to scream at you, ditto for Bloodborne. DS1 makes me feel empty.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The bonfire sfx and visuals in 2 always made me feel comfy.

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
Dark Souls 2 is the only game I have 100% on Steam but Dark Souls 1 is the only game I have a plat on PS3.

Makes you think.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If i could pick anywhere to fritter away the time while i wait to go hollow, it would be Majula

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
How do you feel about maps

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I don't care for DS2 base game but the DLC has possibly the best content across the entire series

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And some of the worst oddly enough

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
I legit think Bed of Chaos simply needs a bit more work to make an excellent puzzle boss. There’s some great narrative when you pop both bubbles and climb into her, and see what the witch of izalith has transformed into.

It helps that I got super lucky on my first play through and I wasn’t being constantly environment killed by the death pit. So, just make the pit non lethal, put a ladder out, reduce damage in swipes and firestorms.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

First time through Dark Souls 1 I beat the Bed of Chaos flawlessly in one shot, and everytime since I've died like a million times sliding off the final jump.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah the first time I fought Bed of Chaos I did it without issue, possibly even on the first attempt--and I'm the kind of player who usually needed a few whacks at every boss before I was successful--and only found out about its reputation after the fact. Was very confused for a while...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I legit think Bed of Chaos simply needs a bit more work to make an excellent puzzle boss. There’s some great narrative when you pop both bubbles and climb into her, and see what the witch of izalith has transformed into.

It helps that I got super lucky on my first play through and I wasn’t being constantly environment killed by the death pit. So, just make the pit non lethal, put a ladder out, reduce damage in swipes and firestorms.

Yeah I like the anti-climax part of it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gaius Marius posted:

And some of the worst oddly enough

Drangleic: an unironic land of contrasts

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

The game holds up to scrutiny even acknowledging its flaws, you don't need to pretend those areas aren't bad.

I don't think the following areas are bad at all, and enjoyed them just fine/always have fun replaying them:
-Catacombs/Tomb of giants
-Dark Root garden/New London ruins
-Dukes archives/crystal cave

We get some real bad level design in DS2 compared to these three imo

I especially think dukes and crystal cave get a really bad rep, it was very close to being an excellent area. It just feels a little undercooked.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well i finally finished the game, after a long haul of getting into it, months without playing, losing my progress in a hdd failure and then starting again years later. I made it to the castle and through the fire and ice dlcs in my first run, playing a dex rapier build. Second time round I bashed my way through the sunken kingdom dlc with the black knight sword, did most of the fire one and then noped out of the ice place to just go fight nashandra after i remembered how much of a slog that dlc was. Switched to the throne watcher's sword and laid into her before deciding that all things considered, i might as well go sit on the throne.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Congrats!!

Bed of Chaos was especially fun for me and I suspect a bunch of other players because like many, I was playing with DSfix for the quality of life improvements, first and foremost framerate. Well, as I learned way later, that doesn't only make some ladders yeet you through the floor, it also reduces jump length. Which, for BoC, well

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Dark Souls 2 was the original strand-type game because the game's about forging connections with the people while they're still there instead of coming back and seeing them dead/hollow because you did a quest wrong.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Majula is the best hub area

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Nihilarian posted:

Majula is the best hub area

I don't think there's any real competition

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Majula has Sweet Shalquoir and Emerald Harold. The others have ??? A weird toothy snake who eats poop? A guy with no legs? Who are these losers???

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Majula also has great music and the hubris hole

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Emerald Harold

Nihilarian posted:

hubris hole

Learning so many new nicknames for the Herald today

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Learning so many new nicknames for the Herald today
https://i.imgur.com/BpF0Mau.mp4

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lol look at the DS3 thread title

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rubellavator posted:

lol look at the DS3 thread title

Maybe there's hope for them after all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
They're not talking about Lucinda or whoever we're supposed to remember, though.

Lucretia? Luz? Gimme a sec...

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I remeber Lucyliu, she was Mr Watson on Sherlocks Angels!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's one effigy, Bearer of the Curse. What could it cost? 1000 souls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I thought I would try this one out, and it works fine on the Steam Deck, but on PC it seems completely unwilling to work properly with my wired 8bitdo controller. The left stick is fine, but it keeps attacking when I use the right stick, and the start button doesn't do anything (but R1 opens the menu? Is that normal?).

I confirmed that all the controller's settings are default and I haven't altered the keybinds.

If anybody knows a way to fix this, I'll repay you by agreeing with your opinions about which Dark Souls game is the best.