Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

I had to do the Comics Kingdom store trick to see more comics. and I was greeted by this little number on the front page. Be sure to post a picture of it on your wall after you buy it
https://shop.comicskingdom.com/products/mary-worth-2022-01-09-framed-poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Sad Bear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmEuNb6MP2E

You might also remember this song from Cyberpunk 2077.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

manero
Jan 30, 2006

In contrast, The Unknown Comic is still very much alive.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (August 28, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (March 30, 1940)

Out Our Way (August 27-29, 1942)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

That's not a good pun.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Is Phantom ascending into Heaven?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

I don't know the 'help the chicken cook' one. Anyone know what that's about?

Apartment 3-G

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Filling in for Kennel:

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

I don't know the 'help the chicken cook' one. Anyone know what that's about?

The Little Red Hen.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 26, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

they're playing Dillon's Rolling Western

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope he gets shot again for standing around talking.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hmm i don’t remember that one, but thanks!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

More love for Wallace's parents here, this rules.

I think I need to look some old friends up. Younger kids, we used to do this.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I'm not really up on my Phantom lore. Is there some reason why he's so drat determined to stick to the prophecy rather than defying it? I mean, if the whole point of him doing things differently than what he thought Mozz had already foretold when we started this whole prison break was to avoid what he thought was the prophecy, why the hell is he trying so hard to fulfill it now by expecting to just lay down and die?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

That's not a good pun.

This comic is such a waste of space. Jules wasted so much time with that stupid racecar driver and his mom rather than writing a smarter way to resolve this cover-up.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Jesus gently caress in heaven, just clobber this idiot in the head and stitch up his drat wound. I'm sure Savarna wouldn't mind doing one last act of violence tonight.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I'd be surprised, but pleased, if this storyline of Mud Fergus just had a lesson where even if you're trying to atone for past lovely behavior, it doesn't necessarily mean the person you're apologizing to will believe it, and it's okay if they don't accept your apology.

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

It's amazing how this A3G storyline squandered all the goodwill it had so quickly. Everyone acts like Tony is some annoying scamp who they should maybe give a chance to win them over, rather than a loving creep who stalked a woman to another country.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I'm not really up on my Phantom lore. Is there some reason why he's so drat determined to stick to the prophecy rather than defying it? I mean, if the whole point of him doing things differently than what he thought Mozz had already foretold when we started this whole prison break was to avoid what he thought was the prophecy, why the hell is he trying so hard to fulfill it now by expecting to just lay down and die?

He's a moron, that's why.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Somehow I don't feel like some rando on the internet saying "that widebeest was a bribe!" would result in the local cops instantly showing up to arrest a sitting Senator for it.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Of course, the other way to look at this offer is "I'd like to capitalize on your fame to draw views for my own business venture".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

Somehow I don't feel like some rando on the internet saying "that widebeest was a bribe!" would result in the local cops instantly showing up to arrest a sitting Senator for it.

they don't want it to make the gnus

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "226 - Jucika In Szeged"

"Ünnepi Játékok: Festival
János Vitéz: John The Valiant, a Hungarian poem
Minden Jegy Elkelt: Sold-out Show"

"227 - Jucika And The Heat Wave"

Murdstone posted:

That's not a good pun.

I like that the Wildebeest let itself onto the road to make it easier to lazily draw this strip. I really like the complete giving up on the background in panel 3. "Uhhh.. it's.. it's the cop car sirens. In broad daylight."

And of course joining in on the dogpile that the writing is radioactively bad.

I have acknowledged my horrible flaw, thus removing the need to work on it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Oh hell yes, bring on The Adventures of Li'l Fergus and Big Truck

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I've only barely been paying attention to Mark Trail, so there may be some nuances I didn't notice, but is it actually illegal for a state senator to sell out his whole state in exchange for a Wildebeest?

Luann

Quebec is, of course, a well-known vacation destination for newly single ladies who just dumped their lame dogshit boyfriends.

Gil Thorp

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hwurmp posted:

they don't want it to make the gnus
See? Now that's a quality pun.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

End of chapter 5: Sword. I quite liked this one (surface-reading joke moral: save scumming is a literal war crime).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Quebec is, of course, a well-known vacation destination for newly single ladies who just dumped their lame dogshit boyfriends.
It's her genius plan to make sure Gunther gets mocked if he keeps telling people they're together.

"Yeah, I'm still with my girlfriend! She's just in Canada and-hey wait come back it's true!"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Weren't they out west on their trip? Has she decided to drive a few thousand miles on a whim, on her own, in a van that had mechanical issues when they bought it?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (October 22-25, 2002)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

No, Dustin Sister, it's a genuine mystery, because they refuse because of that but before they learn that.

Bruceski posted:

I think I need to look some old friends up. Younger kids, we used to do this.

I was hanging out with some friends at the pool at their apartment building once and their dad picked me up and did this.

There was one small problem: I didn't know how to swim.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

He's still trying to derail it, the prophecy had him taken to a doctor, survive, but in a fever tell Savarna about how to contact his son, which instead of telling his wife savarna went there to kill somebody she knew. However, he won't need to do that because he already told his wife how to contact their son. So, since he's a moron, he's trying to derail the prophecy by dying.

Note that telling his wife the info happened very early in the storyline. He derailed the prophecy ages ago.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

JethroMcB posted:

Filling in for Kennel:

Nancy

Ha! Take that haters!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Here is a colourized version Jarla did at some point:

Sadly I think this is the biggest resolution available, these are from the bad old days when bandwidth cost money.

Yeah, I think that's my favourite of them too.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/26-28/51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZjRy02OBPY

Archie 1/1-3/48

The third panel is a play on the movie tagline "Gable's back and Garson's got him!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
this arc should kill the phantom and have one of the kids take over because you're never going to get the audience to want phantom die like this loving miserable slog of a story has, ever again

Zereth posted:

He's still trying to derail it, the prophecy had him taken to a doctor, survive, but in a fever tell Savarna about how to contact his son, which instead of telling his wife savarna went there to kill somebody she knew. However, he won't need to do that because he already told his wife how to contact their son. So, since he's a moron, he's trying to derail the prophecy by dying.

Note that telling his wife the info happened very early in the storyline. He derailed the prophecy ages ago.

he could have just put a bullet in his head during the 35th retelling of the prophecy then

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
I wasn't able to catch this day of, on account of being on vacation on the opposite side of the globe from where I usually live, but now that I'm back and caught up on the thread:

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (August 15, 1976)

this is the comic that ran the day I was born!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

]

Archie 1/1-3/48

The third panel is a play on the movie tagline "Gable's back and Garson's got him!"

This has probably been mentioned before but it's kind of wild to think that in the 1940s it was normal to draw teenage girls in their underwear looking like pinup models and publish it in newspapers across the country.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Imagine Just Having Your Period In Public And It Get Schlorped Up Immediately For Profit. Holbrook You Weirdo.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

I've only barely been paying attention to Mark Trail, so there may be some nuances I didn't notice, but is it actually illegal for a state senator to sell out his whole state in exchange for a Wildebeest?

The thing is that the wildebeest thing doesn't really matter. It came out of nowhere and felt like Jules wrote about yet another article she skimmed. You're supposed to think the senator's evil for doing this and distract you from how she can't come up with a decent way to resolve this whole thing.

The big climax involves this criminal schlub who only has 500 followers doing a livestream from the back of some racer's car screaming about how there's totally a cover-up about the chemical spill, and that we're supposed to think this will pull in thousands of viewers rather than getting dismissed as the ramblings of that insane guy who keeps punching the police. Then in comes Professor Beesharp to debate Mark about his role endorsing the senator, except it somehow turned into the evils of AI stealing someone's likeness? And then Beesharp reveals the senator accepted a wildbeest as a bribe from the company that did the chemical spill because??? And the senator was watching the stream and went "oh no, i hope they don't find my illegal wildebeest!" like he's a Saturday morning cartoon.

When you break it down like that, Mark did loving nothing to help solve this case. Professor Beesharp could have tweeted out the details himself or went on some other celebrity's channel and we'd still get the same result.

:sickos:

Can't wait to see Coach Martinez lose it once he sees who replaced him.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Hoover Dam posted:

this is the comic that ran the day I was born!

All the best from one 70s brat kid to another. :patriot:

Our Boarding House (June 23-25, 1924)

And another Out Our Way flashback to remind us what Williams did with little brothers before the Worry Wart saved us. (June 23, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (August 25-27, 1921, with a modesty timg for Aunt Eppie, and another for a Usual Issues background character.)

Dok's Dippy Battleship (November 19, 1914)

Little Lefty (January 9-11, 1939)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 27, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Zereth posted:

I was hanging out with some friends at the pool at their apartment building once and their dad picked me up and did this.

There was one small problem: I didn't know how to swim.

Oof, yeah, you don't surprise someone with that. Our throwing was planned and fully consentual. And looking back I'm surprised the lifeguards allowed it, why did we always throw toward the shallower side of the pool?.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

amigolupus posted:

:sickos:

Can't wait to see Coach Martinez lose it once he sees who replaced him.

Who is this?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Feb 24-28, 1965)

Adding in an extra one because I found it interesting. You can really see bits and pieces of what will become Woodstock's design starting to take shape.

Big Nate

Blind Alley

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 22, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

That's backwards from how to do it right. The better option would be to show the piano in the first panel, and then only in the second panel show the piano and the octopus drawn by someone who has only had the idea of an octopus described to him once to figure out what they should look like.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

That's backwards from how to do it right. The better option would be to show the piano in the first panel, and then only in the second panel show the piano and the octopus drawn by someone who has only had the idea of an octopus described to him once to figure out what they should look like.

Had the same idea.