Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

nah, the coolest thing is smoking a cigarette while standing beside your motorcycle.

smoking is disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

smoking is disgusting

Simulate cancer spreading through a lung.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

i ran across a reference to "space colonization algorithm" in an academic paper about the coloration of flower petals and leaves. looked up the original paper describing the space colonization algorithm and it was originally proposed as a model for how to make the veins in a leaf. theres a few parameters to play around with but it was very straightforward to implement with the new simulation and loop nodes

https://i.imgur.com/T0fBLRM.mp4

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed

https://i.imgur.com/X9DqiQ4.mp4

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

coolest thing is you can literally just feed in a mesh and the algorithm fills up the available space

thats rad, does it work in 3d?

I want to figure out enough simulation nodes knowledge to do diffusion limited aggregation now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

thats rad, does it work in 3d?

I want to figure out enough simulation nodes knowledge to do diffusion limited aggregation now

yeah it works in any metric space. literally all you need is a group of attractor points, arranged any way you want, and a method to compute the distance and directional vectors between points. the number of dimensions doesn’t matter

you could even draw points with brushes or something and this could fill up the space defined by the brush strokes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

in fact these guys used a modified space colonization algorithm as a core step in a more complex algorithm for growing procedural trees and the results look pretty good. able to grow in the environment around obstacles or according to predefined shapes or w/e

http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/selforg.sig2009.small.pdf

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im eventually gonna get around to trying out that model in geo nodes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i got space colonization sorta working to make trees. how it works is, i assume tree starts at 0,0,0. and then i draw in a desired shape for the canopy of tree leaves. set my colonization parameters, and then hit GO!

i made these crappy textures in literally 5 seconds ignore them, its all about the shapes

if i then instance a "leaf" (just a green flattened ico sphere) on the tip of every branch:

if i move the exact same canopy up by a few meters and rerun the algorithm:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://i.imgur.com/7LdcfxD.mp4

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

That's sick

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i can just feed it any mesh and tell it to use that for the canopy shape

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 16, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just yesterday I saw some gardeners in a fancy ornamental garden fitting a mesh a bit like that over some plants to guide their trimming

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

fart simpson posted:

i can just feed it any mesh and tell it to use that for the canopy shape

dickbutt topiary

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

got a simple reaction-diffusion thing going in geometry nodes. kinda

https://i.imgur.com/MFpph8m.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8qoQG_4-dw

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a brief moment of inspiration to make something grid like and then I remembered geo nodes - something I have no idea at all how to use.. but they would be appropriate

I'm sure once I get over the initial hill as to what the heck is going on, I should be able to do something. heck i've managed to learn something before

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

flashback to when twitter worked

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

made a little geonodes setup that converts a mesh into curves that look sorta like a sketch

https://i.imgur.com/RpnT5wA.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it was sorta based on this 2003 paper, about ways to render 3d models with as few lines as possible to look kinda like a technical drawing. i copied parts of their algorithm to do it

http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/goodlines.eg2003.pdf

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Nice. I like how it fluctuates. Outline/sketch stuff is fun. I became obsessed with spatially stable sketch shaders once and implemented tonal art maps (and a generator for creating them) in Godot.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anatomi posted:

Nice. I like how it fluctuates. Outline/sketch stuff is fun. I became obsessed with spatially stable sketch shaders once and implemented tonal art maps (and a generator for creating them) in Godot.

the core insight that i never thought about before was, i find both faces connected to an edge and compare the normals on those faces. then i check to see if one normal is facing the camera and the other is facing away. if yes, then that edge is an outline edge of the silhouette

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

fart simpson posted:

the core insight that i never thought about before was, i find both faces connected to an edge and compare the normals on those faces. then i check to see if one normal is facing the camera and the other is facing away. if yes, then that edge is an outline edge of the silhouette

woah that's a nice trick

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

distortion park posted:

woah that's a nice trick

and also, if an edge is only connected to 1 face then it's a boundary edge. also draw.

and then you can used the signed edge angle node to select for concave and convex areas and draw some of those too

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That's very pretty!

Can you sample the depth buffer with geo nodes?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anatomi posted:

That's very pretty!

Can you sample the depth buffer with geo nodes?

no but you can very easily measure the distance to the camera. why do you ask?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

works p good

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 23, 2023

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I watched a video presentation about minecraft world generation and it's basically 5 noise maps with some curves to shape the noise and i thought that it should be doable with geo nodes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

prove it

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

fart simpson posted:

no but you can very easily measure the distance to the camera. why do you ask?
Nice. I was curious if it would be possible to vary the stroke thickness/uniformity with the distance — sounds like it is!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anatomi posted:

Nice. I was curious if it would be possible to vary the stroke thickness/uniformity with the distance — sounds like it is!

so, what i was doing is actually projecting all the lines onto an invisible plane in front of the camera, via the built in Raycast node. so they're all the same distance from the camera before the time i'm calculating line thickness.

you can see the actual mesh here, and the camera, and a bunch of lines on a plane in the middle. basically just every control point on the curve is raycasted toward the camera, and repositioned to the position on the plane where the ray intesrected

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

but yes i was thinking about using the distance to control the spacing between adjacent lines or something, so like if it's farther away then it's more of an basic outline or something. haven’t done that yet but it should be possible

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

and also, if an edge is only connected to 1 face then it's a boundary edge. also draw.

and then you can used the signed edge angle node to select for concave and convex areas and draw some of those too

This would look really cool with a blue background. (as in blueprints)

Wheany posted:

I watched a video presentation about minecraft world generation and it's basically 5 noise maps with some curves to shape the noise and i thought that it should be doable with geo nodes

Had a swing at this a while back, although this is just a musgrave map.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 23, 2023

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Wheany posted:

I got these working for nodevember '21

was just regular noise, but with a high-based threshold gradient so you got hills/mountains rather than holey cheese (not that there's anything wrong with holey cheese)

the voxels are low res because generation was super slow, but with all the new volume stuff it should be way simpler and faster

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 23, 2023

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
my latest blender distraction is remaking simcity2000 tiles

modelling the buildings is all good and fun but i havent quite figured out a technique for the grass/driveway/terrain stuff

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

scurk flashbacks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

maxe posted:

modelling the buildings is all good and fun but i havent quite figured out a technique for the grass/driveway/terrain stuff

i love this

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

maxe posted:

you did a great job and that sounds like a really chill hobby

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

polyester concept posted:

scurk flashbacks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i revisted and polished up my L system geometry nodes

its surprisingly less complicated than i originally thought it would be. i know this is still messy but its not really that much stuff. and i can use strings for the rules and crap which is way nicer. i can just copy and paste in rules and see the results

it does the branching well and combined with blender's built in instancing. just made a flattened, extruded sphere and colored it green, plus a red sphere and instance those whenever i have an "L" symbol (for "leaf")

looks pretty decent scattered around. all in 29ms too. would look better with a few more plants made up the same way and scatter around with this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

works w/ grass good too