Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Krogort posted:

I have alloy bar at the moment, are carbon bars really more comfortable ? Kinda like going from an alloy frame to a carbonfiber frame ? or is it overrated ?
The biggest difference I found moving from alloy to carbon bars was less to do with vibrational comfort and everything to do with keeping my hands warmer during winter rides. And to that end carbon bars were worth every cent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

At what distance is it necessary to add some sort of fuel to rides? I'm trying to increase how far I can ride. Last year I was able to break 40 miles, but I haven't done that length since. Normally riding 20-25 mi with 1500-2000 ft of elevation gain these days. I'm going to try for 30 flat miles today.
i’m a big wuss but pack at least a little snack if i’m gonna be out more than half hour for exercise (usually just a fruit).

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Krogort posted:

After having some knee pain during a big riding week (spent 35 hours on the bike), I went for a proper bikefit at a physiotherapist.
My saddle was >1cm too high and a bit too far back as well as too tiltted forward (but that later point has probably no impact on my knee problems).
I also discovered that my bar are slightly too wide, I have a 42 and I would be better with a 40. I got told it is not a mandatory or urgent upgrade but would help feeling better on the bike.

I have alloy bar at the moment, are carbon bars really more comfortable ? Kinda like going from an alloy frame to a carbonfiber frame ? or is it overrated ?

There are a bunch of different handlebar styles and shapes which may or may not work for you. It might be worth trying out an alloy version first and then upgrading to the carbon fibre version if you’re happy with it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Crumps Brother posted:

The biggest difference I found moving from alloy to carbon bars was less to do with vibrational comfort and everything to do with keeping my hands warmer during winter rides. And to that end carbon bars were worth every cent.

Do you feel it through bar tape and gloves ?

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Rode my first double metric century today :)

Come to Estonia if you want to experience a flat earth.

Refueling at a small shop.

Nearly perfect weather for it - headed out at 7:45 while it was 14c and <10km/h winds, ended up at around 20c and 20km/h wind by the time I finished.
Took a break after 144km for about a hour and a half to have a light lunch & hang about with my dad
IME a break that long makes it harder overall, to get warmed up and going again especially if there's food sloshing around in your stomach but your mileage may vary.

I didn't contribute to the nutrition chat so here's what I consumed on this ride:
a handful of raisins and sweet corn puffs just before heading out (I'm not a "proper" breakfast in the morning kind of guy)
like 7 medium-sized apples
1 banana
one can of Red Bull (sugar free because ???)
lunch: a big fried zucchini slice with egg and a meat cutlet, a couple of small tomatoes and a slice of buttered bread with garlic
a mug of fresh apple juice
like uhhh 4 liters of water, with the initial 3 bottles having ~55g sugar and a 100mg caffeine pill each
(most importantly pizza and ice cream the evening before :ssh:)

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
How did you eat seven apples and not poo poo your pants

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

TacoHavoc posted:

How did you eat seven apples and not poo poo your pants

I never said that I didn't poo poo my pants! (ok I didn't, but I did release some gas)
I've just built up a tolerance to eating an apple an hour or so as my staple ride food.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Angryhead posted:

lunch: a big fried zucchini slice with egg and a meat cutlet, a couple of small tomatoes...

I love flat rides.
Also, what kind of meat?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Angryhead posted:

Sacramento century in California was 100mi and 1178ft. Proportionally the same. Was a bitch because I never had any rest times going downhill.

Double metric sling that... Good ride, goon.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Krogort posted:

Do you feel it through bar tape and gloves ?
It used to be when I was riding in below 0°F I'd have heavy pogies, grips, gloves, and maybe even a hot hand packet inside the pogie. After switching to carbon I rarely felt like I needed gloves and basically never used hot hands. Heck I often am able to get away with using my BikeIowa®©™ PogieLites instead of my usual Cobrafists too.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

PosSibley posted:

I love flat rides.
Also, what kind of meat?
Asking the important questions! Pork with cheese.

ilkhan posted:

Sacramento century in California was 100mi and 1178ft. Proportionally the same. Was a bitch because I never had any rest times going downhill.

Double metric sling that... Good ride, goon.
Haha, yeah, no real downhill resting times for me either.
I wish I had the choice to go for a hillier ride here, but locally it's nigh-on impossible to get significantly more so, no multiple-kilometer climbs here. I'm near the Baltic sea though so I'll deal with the "simulated climb" of strong winds.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nutrition chat wise: I packed a little pb&j this morning because I forgot to go out to buy any bars. Didn’t feel like I needed anything until mile 26 out of the planned 30, so it was pointless. Still managed to do 30 miles in 1h 47m, which is my farthest and fastest this year.

Guess I’ll keep experimenting.

Thank you all for the bike computer advice also. I’ll keep thinking about it.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 26, 2023

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Awkward Davies posted:

Thank you all for the bike computer advice also. I’ll keep thinking about it.

There are accuracy issues with both GPS and heart rate from a watch while riding bikes (to do with how your wrist shape changes when you grip, and the angle of the watch to the sky with drop bars). I've got a Garmin Fenix 6 that I use for activity tracking and most sport but for any bike ride more involved than a commute I'll use the Edge 530 that I paid not very much for. More than anything else I value having the information in front of me rather than having to look down and twist my wrist, but also the screen is bigger so you can have more information on display, the maps and turn-by-turn navigation are usually great, and Garmin does a reasonable job of keeping stress and fatigue metrics synchronised between all devices on one account so it knows how much sleep I've had and where my heart rate has been all day. It also tells me when my Di2 is about to shift the front ring which has saved me a bunch of dropped chains.

I initially bought it to use the display mirroring from the Fenix for triathlon but it turns out that's not very good, so now I just dual record and throw away the Edge's recording at the finish.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Garmin makes a watch mount that goes on your bars, I was using it before I started using the 840 as an extended display.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
Q:
i see brooks saddles talked highly a lot online.. are they actually comfortable in your opinion ? they look very basic vs something like a sq labs saddle idgi

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Turmoilx posted:

Q:
i see brooks saddles talked highly a lot online.. are they actually comfortable in your opinion ? they look very basic vs something like a sq labs saddle idgi

I like my b17 on my gravel bike because it’s essentially pliable leather secured in the front and back so that once broken in, there is enough provide a comfortable cushion on rides. The first fifty miles on a new saddle are pretty rough though. It’s kind of like getting a new pair of boots I guess.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
i just looked at the site and was surprised there was no plastic mold under the leather.. thats how i thought it was! i could see how it works now that's interesting, in the case of the b17 that is

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Turmoilx posted:

Q:

depends, they’re quite supple but they also might not fit your rear end/grundle

they’re also real heavy if that matters to you

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Moonlight Ramble has been postponed.

We've been in a horrible heat wave this past week, and it was set to break today. The forecast has been consistent: very slight chance of rain on Saturday, and any rain we would get would end by noon. That's not how things played out at all. We got thunderstorms, then showers. It all stopped before 4 PM, but the thunderstorms are going to start back up this evening.

Poop. The bikes are all lit up, and they have nowhere to go. I might do my own ramble tomorrow night, just for kicks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

e.pilot posted:

depends, they’re quite supple but they also might not fit your rear end/grundle

they’re also real heavy if that matters to you

I want to try a brooks because every mainstream saddle seems to be absurdly narrow, idk if I just have some kind of freak super wide sit bones or something but every non-old-on-ebike seat I've sat on has felt like it'll disappear up my rectum. I did the sitting on cardboard thing and the centers of the dents are like 250mm apart

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

I want to try a brooks because every mainstream saddle seems to be absurdly narrow, idk if I just have some kind of freak super wide sit bones or something but every non-old-on-ebike seat I've sat on has felt like it'll disappear up my rectum. I did the sitting on cardboard thing and the centers of the dents are like 250mm apart

Here ya go, you can thank me later :smugdog:

E: lol or maybe this is more to your liking :v:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, try a wide brooks saddle. try women's saddles.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slavvy posted:

I want to try a brooks because every mainstream saddle seems to be absurdly narrow, idk if I just have some kind of freak super wide sit bones or
Look at Specialized Body Geometry saddles, which come in 155 and 168mm widths.

Clark Nova posted:

try women's saddles.
Most of those are at widths the same as unisex saddles. Specialized uses different padding densities for their women’s saddles, though it’s a lot about alleviating labia pressure instead of supporting different pelvis shapes.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
What screens/fields do y'all run on your bike computers?

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I thought that the whole measuring sit bones thing was a bit of a red herring? Idk though because I have a narrow arse so I just have a narrow saddle and it seems fine (I do have the same saddle on all of my bikes though as I found it worked for me).

As for Brooks, my partner uses a C17 carved on her bikepacking bike, it's basically the same as the leather ones except rubber so a lot easier to look after, I think you need to maintain the leather a lot more especially if you ride in the rain a lot. It's still pretty hard on your arse initially though and hers has a rough texture on the surface which was damaging her knicks until she put some tape over the edges but I think the newer ones have a smooth surface now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

I thought that the whole measuring sit bones thing was a bit of a red herring? Idk though because I have a narrow arse so I just have a narrow saddle and it seems fine (I do have the same saddle on all of my bikes though as I found it worked for me).

It’s a big first step. Soft tissue distribution still matters.
I do think saddle brands undersell the relief cutouts can provide.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

It’s a big first step. Soft tissue distribution still matters.
I do think saddle brands undersell the relief cutouts can provide.

So in my quest to figure out what bike I want to buy, I wanted folks opinion on Canyon. I see they are pretty reputable but getting warranty stuff in the US can sometimes be a pain. I also see they may generally need assembly, though for the price you can get a better groupset (like 105s instead of Claris or Sora).

What is the general impression? How hard are they to put together? Issues with replacement parts?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Slavvy posted:

see if you can find somewhere near you that does retül fittings, they’ll have a little pressure pad thing you can sit on that will digitally measure your sit bones

250mm is absurdly wide to the point there’s no way that’s accurate

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ilkhan posted:

I have an elemnt bolt and mostly use the default info screen (from top: speed, distance, clock, moving time, HR, cadence, calories, speed average, speed max) and the elevation screen (speed, grade, ascent, descent, vam, elevation, cadence, upcoming profile chart).

i think it requires the phone app to change but I might ditch the calorie and max speed counters for something else

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mederlock posted:

Here ya go, you can thank me later :smugdog:

E: lol or maybe this is more to your liking :v:

Mods??

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

So in my quest to figure out what bike I want to buy, I wanted folks opinion on Canyon. I see they are pretty reputable but getting warranty stuff in the US can sometimes be a pain. I also see they may generally need assembly, though for the price you can get a better groupset (like 105s instead of Claris or Sora).

What is the general impression? How hard are they to put together? Issues with replacement parts?
Assembly is attaching wheels and handlebars and seatpost. Not difficult. The box is sturdy. I bought an endurace and am loving it, planning on a Grail or Grizl next year. Some issues with sending the wrong size frame, and availability is a big one. But if they have the right size in the frame and trim you want they make good bikes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KKKLIP ART posted:

Bought my wife an endurace. They originally sent the wrong size but eventually got the right one in stock. Putting it together isn’t bad, but a bike stand definitely helps. My wife loves it and I’m incredibly impressed with the quality. I may get a gravel bike for myself next year.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm looking into leather saddles right now too. Just curious about alternatives to Brooks if anyone has opinions. There aren't many options as it turns out, other than Gyes and Selle Anatomica. Not against Brooks, mainly just curious about how many different approaches to that style there are. None, really I guess.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm looking into leather saddles right now too. Just curious about alternatives to Brooks if anyone has opinions. There aren't many options as it turns out, other than Gyes and Selle Anatomica. Not against Brooks, mainly just curious about how many different approaches to that style there are. None, really I guess.

I tried the Selle Anatomica X, where X is the cutout. The cutout was too narrow and would pinch my taint if I happened to bounce into it just right. Other than that, it did seem pretty comfortable.

There's also Berthoud if you want something even more upmarket than Brooks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

kimbo305 posted:

I tried the Selle Anatomica X, where X is the cutout. The cutout was too narrow and would pinch my taint if I happened to bounce into it just right. Other than that, it did seem pretty comfortable.

There's also Berthoud if you want something even more upmarket than Brooks.

That taint pinch is exactly what I thought of the first time I saw those.

Ebay seems to have a pretty good supply of lightly broken in Brooks for good prices. How much use is too much to be buying one used? I figure if it hasn't been ridden long enough to put sit bone dents or really taken on another person's undercarriage shape, it's probably OK.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

If I'm riding a route that I've downloaded or created, I'll keep the map up most of the time. I'll switch to the basic stats screen if I don't need the map because I'm familiar with the area, or if I'm doing an out-and-back-type ride. Wahoo switches to a hill-specific screen when it detects a hill.

So, I've bugged y'all for weeks (if not longer) about the Moonlight Ramble, and because of thunderstorms that had sure as gently caress better start soon, they postponed the event. So, while I sit around and hope they don't schedule it for a night when I have a gig, here's a picture of my bike and some goofball on it for y'all.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Yep

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

tarlibone posted:

So, I've bugged y'all for weeks (if not longer) about the Moonlight Ramble, and because of thunderstorms that had sure as gently caress better start soon, they postponed the event. So, while I sit around and hope they don't schedule it for a night when I have a gig, here's a picture of my bike and some goofball on it for y'all.

The bike nuts

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Dog Case posted:

The bike nuts

Yeah, there was no way I wasn't hanging my Bike Tail Ball Bike Light, Creative Silicone Cycling Night Safety Warning Lights - Waterproof LED Night Essential Light, Bicycle Seat Back Egg Signal Lamp on the bike. That was the start of the light party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

wow what designer saddle is that! it looks perfect for MY sit bones

and lol those other wide ones above