Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also the avatar of myrkuls intro at the end of act 2 in bg3 was so loving badass even if the fight was cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

smarxist posted:

also the avatar of myrkuls intro at the end of act 2 in bg3 was so loving badass even if the fight was cake

Hell yeah I'm a sucker for a good boss entrance and the writing/delivery of that monologue was incredible.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

when will games skip the bullshit and integrate podcast players

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2412250/Europa_Universalis_IV_China_History_Lessons/

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm glad which ones

• Splatoon 3 co-op mode for podcasts and chilling out
• SF6 is my first time playing a fighting game online
• Armored Core 6 in bite-sized chunks

I was also dabbling a little in experimental horror games, starting with the Dread X collections I think you posted about when they went on a massive sale. Some of the Dread games are good, but I feel a lot of them are either underbaked or overrated. I got Silent Hill 2 & 3 up and running, so they'll be good to go for October. "Unsorted Horror" by Mike Klubnika seems pretty interesting for a free collection of "short first-person horror games, that revolve around detailed machinery and dread." For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f5NKl-DDq8

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

when will games skip the bullshit and integrate podcast players

there was an official 10 episode in-game podcast you could play on your ipod in mgs4

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Awww, paladin and angel spellbooks don't merge in Wrath? lame.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

ac6 is pretty mid

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

already starting to bounce off ac6. the controls are loving annoying and giving my hands cramps and if i need to go leave a mission, sell and buy the correct poo poo to beat a boss, then go all the way through it again, that's not the greatest design

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
alright, back to 24/7 baldurs gate talk babey :unsmigghh:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Lostconfused posted:

Awww, paladin and angel spellbooks don't merge in Wrath? lame.

iirc theres mods for that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ac6 allows for gimmick builds that work out pretty well, grasshopper with missiles constantly coming out of every hole

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i had a joy and a delight doing that mindflayer track puzzle while stoned out of my mind

it may have taken 5 minutes, it may have taken 40, i'm not sure

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

6 is the best armored core game and if you don't like it maybe you just don't like armored core.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nanomashoes posted:

6 is the best armored core game and if you don't like it maybe you just don't like armored core.

I died for the fifth time on the tutorial boss and decided to refund after one last go, then blew up the helicopter so it may have A LITTLE more of my time but I think I'm possibly not hardcore enough

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Weird way to spell 4Answer, but yeah.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I died for the fifth time on the tutorial boss and decided to refund after one last go, then blew up the helicopter so it may have A LITTLE more of my time but I think I'm possibly not hardcore enough

the ground is lava, use it as a trampoline. once u can stay under it and in its face and use your sword a lot it melts

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

the helicopter is kinda gimmicky. I've put several more hours in and purchased some gear upgrades but I replay that mission from time to time and it's still easy to lose. I won't say it's challenging but rather a very precise script that needs to be followed, which I don't feel like the dark souls games demanded. It's my first AC game so I may simply need to get good. I find the encounter difficult because:

- The entire objective of the fight is to boost + melee attack the copter, which isn't communicated very clearly imo. I'm not sure if the hold/charge single swing attack is better for stagger, or go for the double-press sword strike combo
- The arena area is fairly limited, many times I will set up a great boot + attack but then be stopped by the invisible arbitrary barrier, so I float there and the chopter lols and shoots me from their nigh-invincible place outside the legal hit zone
- You can avoid the incoming attacks by hiding behind buildings, boosting around erratically in the air, and dodging left/right. Your energy level is rather low so you can't do all these things at once and must choose.
- When you manage to stagger a boss, the energy sword is typically on cooldown so you can't use it again to press the advantage, instead plinking away with rifles and missiles. Unless, one were to equip a second blade :thunk:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Nanomashoes posted:

i'm still partial to 1 just because how incredible it was at the time having this badass mech super customizable game where you jetpack around ontop of skyscrapers, for the first time. it was massively massively groundbreaking and mind-blowing

but ya 6 is very good

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
found the best npc

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

palindrome posted:

the helicopter is kinda gimmicky. I've put several more hours in and purchased some gear upgrades but I replay that mission from time to time and it's still easy to lose. I won't say it's challenging but rather a very precise script that needs to be followed, which I don't feel like the dark souls games demanded. It's my first AC game so I may simply need to get good. I find the encounter difficult because:

- The entire objective of the fight is to boost + melee attack the copter, which isn't communicated very clearly imo. I'm not sure if the hold/charge single swing attack is better for stagger, or go for the double-press sword strike combo
- The arena area is fairly limited, many times I will set up a great boot + attack but then be stopped by the invisible arbitrary barrier, so I float there and the chopter lols and shoots me from their nigh-invincible place outside the legal hit zone
- You can avoid the incoming attacks by hiding behind buildings, boosting around erratically in the air, and dodging left/right. Your energy level is rather low so you can't do all these things at once and must choose.
- When you manage to stagger a boss, the energy sword is typically on cooldown so you can't use it again to press the advantage, instead plinking away with rifles and missiles. Unless, one were to equip a second blade :thunk:

all correct. I think they should have maybe upped the hp of the boss and given you like 1.5x boost to make it feel a bit better.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the amount of effort Warframe puts into making modes where you don't play as the titular 'frame is astounding

you know the 2 nickels meme? you'd have 5 nickels by now! that's too many nickels man!!!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

if the other bosses feel like I'm just constantly battling the last half second of melee cooldown and the giant amount of energy it takes to just boost up a little bit I'm gonna....im gonna!...play it anyway

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
people keep talking about dying to a tutorial boss in armored core but the first boss i remember fighting was the helicopter???

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Al! posted:

people keep talking about dying to a tutorial boss in armored core but the first boss i remember fighting was the helicopter???

yeah thats the one! I beat him after maybe 5 tries but it felt really clunky. just watched a video though and apparently I should have used the L3 travel dash. cool.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/SapphicScythe/status/1695604181250281859

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it'd be funny to make a Harbor Freight robot that's really rear end

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat the underdark is scary, I miss the forest

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think the underdark is pretty (moments before getting launched into an abyss by an angry bulette)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah it was the first time my group had to instaload after I got hucked into a chasm

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

yeah a harbor freight tier of weapons and parts would be fun. although in retrospect that's clearly all the crappy MT cannon fodder that you're mowing down throughout the missions. I feel bad for the pilots of those things that are like, "oh no, an actual AC? does he have a tool arm that can remove a t6 torx screw without stripping it?? gently caress!"

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I beat the spider after an insane amount of tries.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

R. Mute posted:

google's hosed as it is thanks to thousands of AI-generated sites, but for BG3 it seems especially bad. it's like every site is "[the problem you're trying to solve] is a problem many players of Baldur's Gate 3 face. Finding a solution has stumped many players. Its answer is well hidden in Larian Studios' new roleplaying masterpiece. [five more paragraphs of SEO nothing and then the vaguest possible answer]"

This is 100% what it feels like trying to look up information on Jagged Alliance 3 as well, so many dodgy rear end no-name "I dunno we cobbled like three 'gaming' sounding words together to make our site name" sites.

Also JA3 is good as hell.

Yardbomb has issued a correction as of 12:43 on Aug 27, 2023

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

v.iv rusty might be a corpo lapdog but hes my friend

gonna choose whatever route keeps me from having to murder him

i got your back buddy, us hounds gotta stick together

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

though carla rules too, hope i wont have to choose

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Nanomashoes posted:

willing to believe this if only because it's the first one on pc

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ben Nerevarine posted:

walking in a straight line for 40 minutes in anticipation of the moment you can finally complain your immersion was broken

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

I dont buy a lot of games at release but I did elden ring. all the seo'd blog posts when I was trying to find info was very offputting.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Yardbomb posted:

This is 100% what it feels like trying to look up information on Jagged Alliance 3 as well, so many dodgy rear end no-name "I dunno we cobbled like three 'gaming' sounding words together to make our site name" sites.

Also JA3 is good as hell.

If we lived in a functional society, there would be rigorous faqs for every game and they would be coming out of a government lab and subject to peer review

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

fandom.com must be nationalised by the republic of gamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Is there an actual intended way to kill the goblin boss without aggroing the entire camp? There were good ways to polish off the two sub-bosses that way, but the only way I could find to get the actual boss without getting in a fight with his entire throne room was "throw an illithid gravity bomb thing from the rafters to suck him into a bottomless pit, then fast-travel away before an encounter can start" which seems a little TOO janky