Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

tarlibone posted:

If I'm riding a route that I've downloaded or created, I'll keep the map up most of the time. I'll switch to the basic stats screen if I don't need the map because I'm familiar with the area, or if I'm doing an out-and-back-type ride. Wahoo switches to a hill-specific screen when it detects a hill.

So, I've bugged y'all for weeks (if not longer) about the Moonlight Ramble, and because of thunderstorms that had sure as gently caress better start soon, they postponed the event. So, while I sit around and hope they don't schedule it for a night when I have a gig, here's a picture of my bike and some goofball on it for y'all.

At least you can keep it on the bikes through Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Turmoilx posted:

wow what designer saddle is that! it looks perfect for MY sit bones

and lol those other wide ones above

It's called a Manta, and I have one if you want to try it. I couldn't get it to work for me -- kept sliding forward.
Certainly no pressure on my sit bones, though.

Lol that one of their model designations is MS13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7IzMncspeE

anyways, yeah, your hamstring pushing on the front edge of the saddle is what shifts you forward a tiny bit each stroke. I think it might better in street clothes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

At least you can keep it on the bikes through Halloween.

Yeah, that's true.

I had my son watch me ride down the street with it all lit up, and he told me that it looks like Christmas.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Brooks B17 is pretty firm, takes a little getting used to. The Flyer on the other hand :kiss: I took mine on a 200k for it's first outing, no problem.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Yeep posted:

There are accuracy issues with both GPS and heart rate from a watch while riding bikes (to do with how your wrist shape changes when you grip, and the angle of the watch to the sky with drop bars). I've got a Garmin Fenix 6 that I use for activity tracking and most sport but for any bike ride more involved than a commute I'll use the Edge 530 that I paid not very much for. More than anything else I value having the information in front of me rather than having to look down and twist my wrist, but also the screen is bigger so you can have more information on display, the maps and turn-by-turn navigation are usually great, and Garmin does a reasonable job of keeping stress and fatigue metrics synchronised between all devices on one account so it knows how much sleep I've had and where my heart rate has been all day. It also tells me when my Di2 is about to shift the front ring which has saved me a bunch of dropped chains.

I initially bought it to use the display mirroring from the Fenix for triathlon but it turns out that's not very good, so now I just dual record and throw away the Edge's recording at the finish.

I just bought a forerunner watch for running and general health tracking. First ride I tried to use it for tracking/navigation instead of my edge 530 it crashed after about a mile and lost the activity. So switched back there and then.

Related question: is there a triathlon megathread somewhere on SA?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

When you got a group ride at five but need to hack a radio network at six.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

ilkhan posted:

What screens/fields do y'all run on your bike computers?

Main screen:
3 big fields: 3sec average power, Hearthrate, Cadence
4 small fields at the bottom: Enlapsed time, Distance, Speed, 10sec average L/R Power balance (because I'm recovering from an injury)

Map screen:
6 small fields (with a Garmin IQ app) with same info as above

Climb pro:
3sec power, Hearthrate

Stamina screen:
Distance, remaining distance, elevation, remaining elevation, not sure what else to put there.

I tried adding spent calories to try to manage nutrition at 1/3 of spent calories but it's difficult to know exactly how much is in the food you eat unless you always eat the same stuff.
Not sure what else to put, I tried temperature but it seems very unreliable.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm looking into leather saddles right now too. Just curious about alternatives to Brooks if anyone has opinions. There aren't many options as it turns out, other than Gyes and Selle Anatomica. Not against Brooks, mainly just curious about how many different approaches to that style there are. None, really I guess.

I have a Selle Anatomica X on my super gravel/bikepacking bike because I thought it would offer the best comfort for non-padded shorts. They’re pretty much comfortable out of the box but you do need to tighten the leather almost immediately after your first ride. Their first few batches of seats were notorious for bent rails and being squeaky but they are continuously working on design and production quality. Mine is squeaky and needs some strategic lubing soon.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Finished PBP last wednesday - https://www.strava.com/activities/9709820458

My full timings - (https://imgur.com/a/Jh1VmVU)

I ended up sleeping about 10ish hours total. 4 on the first night 6 on the second night. Third day was full of stops due to both heat and eating real meals instead of just gels and powders. I also got some major saddle sores on the last day but I’m wondering now whether that had more to do with my bibs than my saddle.

I’ll write up a report sometime to share what I ate, who i rode with, and my general thoughts on the ride itself. Its an amazing ride and my second time this time was better than my first.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.

kimbo305 posted:

It's called a Manta, and I have one if you want to try it. I couldn't get it to work for me -- kept sliding forward.
Certainly no pressure on my sit bones, though.

wait, its not a joke? drat..it looks very unstable left to right lol

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

One thing with brooks leather saddles - because of the tensioning bolt at the front, they really don't work with an aggressive position.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

One thing with brooks leather saddles - because of the tensioning bolt at the front, they really don't work with an aggressive position.
They're also not great if you want a perineum cutout because the leather will just fold there. If you want a comfy sprung hammock of a saddle for a commuter they're decent.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Shadowhand00 posted:

My full timings - (https://imgur.com/a/Jh1VmVU)

I ended up sleeping about 10ish hours total. 4 on the first night 6 on the second night. Third day was full of stops due to both heat and eating real meals instead of just gels and powders. I also got some major saddle sores on the last day but I’m wondering now whether that had more to do with my bibs than my saddle.

I’ll write up a report sometime to share what I ate, who i rode with, and my general thoughts on the ride itself. Its an amazing ride and my second time this time was better than my first.

We had a few from our club there, absolutely incredible

I can't get my head around riding for that long on so little sleep

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

bicievino posted:

My own belly fat gets in the way of aggressive riding positions more than my saddle does. Which I think is probably a good illustration of the type of riding that brooks saddles are good for. I am a large man on a space horse setup for light touring/gravel riding. It’d be much cheaper for me to lose a few lbs than buy lightweight racing equipment.

For me, the b17 lets me ride 20-25 miles without feeling like I need bibs or padded shorts. However , you will feel dumb as hell riding with a plastic bag wrapped around the saddle anytime it rains since the leather can’t get soaked.

Heavy, kind of upright, and needs extra care because it’s leather. Also extremely comfortable and looks pretty ok.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

wooger posted:

Related question: is there a triathlon megathread somewhere on SA?

There's this thread in YLLS but it's been pretty dead for a couple of years.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898830

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

did my second metric century yesterday. had some oatmeal and coffee and some gummy snacks beforehand and felt great for the first half. second half I ate a clif bar and i had some stomach pains for like 30km. was a bit worried I'd have to abort but ended up resolving on its own after km 80.

felt pretty tired immediately afterwards but had a cookie, horchata, and Thai food and today is fine

:feelsgood:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 28, 2023

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

corona familiar posted:

did my second metric century yesterday. had some oatmeal and coffee and some gummy snacks beforehand and felt great for the first half. second half I ate a clif bar and i had some stomach pains for like 30km. was a bit worried I'd have to abort but ended up resolving on its own after km 80.

felt pretty tired immediately afterwards but had a cookie, horchata, and Thai food and today is fine

:feelsgood:

You should eat more than that for 5 hours of moving time, even at 20km/h. At 43g of carbs per Clif Bar, you should have at least one bar per hour minimum just to get by and one every half hour would be better. Personally I just use liquid nutrition, gels or like maple syrup because on a ride I basically only want carbs, salt and water. A Clif Bar ends up being 68g total, so you have 25g of protein/fat/fiber that aren't doing a whole lot for you energy wise and may even be slowing the rate of absorption in your gut.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

TobinHatesYou posted:

You should eat more than that for 5 hours of moving time, even at 20km/h. At 43g of carbs per Clif Bar, you should have at least one bar per hour minimum just to get by and one every half hour would be better. Personally I just use liquid nutrition, gels or like maple syrup because on a ride I basically only want carbs, salt and water. A Clif Bar ends up being 68g total, so you have 25g of protein/fat/fiber that aren't doing a whole lot for you energy wise and may even be slowing the rate of absorption in your gut.

yeah more nutrition is a good idea. I also had a gel and a pack of honey stingers that I didn't mention but probably need more than that

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

One of my favorite things on long rides is just mixing some fruit juice I like 1:1 with water, and add a bit electrolytes if I'm gonna sweat. It doesn't feel like "having to" get calories down, you just naturally get them as you normally hydrate. In the other bottle I put straight water.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

evil_bunnY posted:

One of my favorite things on long rides is just mixing some fruit juice I like 1:1 with water, and add a bit electrolytes if I'm gonna sweat. It doesn't feel like "having to" get calories down, you just naturally get them as you normally hydrate. In the other bottle I put straight water.

Trouble is you don’t know how many carbs that is, and it’ll be way less than you’d get from just sugar.

Even at a moderate effort, you physically cannot consume calories fast enough to keep up with what you’re burning on the bike, so anything but ‘the most sugar you can eat’ will leave you in a hole eventually.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

yeah it feels like the alternative is chews or gels but also hate the amount of waste they produce since they're all individually wrapped. been snacking on gummy fruit snacks while on the trainer; is that or just straight up drinking syrup the best option?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
For a recent 100mi mtb race I went about 10hrs on just drink mix, shot bloks, and gels. I've been liking the orange flavoured tailwind, and in the bigger like 26oz bottles I'll usually put in like 2.5 scoops or so. Two of those then adds up to about 500 calories, so if I drink a bottle an hour and have a couple of blocks or a gel or something it keeps me in a good spot, and is fairly easy to keep track of, and involves a minimal amount of opening wrappers and chewing.

For casual rides yeah just stop and eat something on a regular basis. Go to a store and get a coke, a candy bar, some chips, etc. Ideally mostly carbs. I would probably not try to eat two clif bars an hour for 5 hours on a 100k ride though. Yesterday I went on a nice long road/gravel ride with over 5hrs moving time. had a clif bar, a lara bar, a gel, some shot blocks, a waffle, two bottles of mix to start and then just water refills after that, and a can of coke and a twix at a store about 3/4 of the way through. Then stopped at a brewery close to home and had dinner and some beers. It was nice.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

jamal posted:

For a recent 100mi mtb race I went about 10hrs on just drink mix, shot bloks, and gels. I've been liking the orange flavoured tailwind, and in the bigger like 26oz bottles I'll usually put in like 2.5 scoops or so. Two of those then adds up to about 500 calories, so if I drink a bottle an hour and have a couple of blocks or a gel or something it keeps me in a good spot, and is fairly easy to keep track of, and involves a minimal amount of opening wrappers and chewing.

For casual rides yeah just stop and eat something on a regular basis. Go to a store and get a coke, a candy bar, some chips, etc. Ideally mostly carbs. I would probably not try to eat two clif bars an hour for 5 hours on a 100k ride though. Yesterday I went on a nice long road/gravel ride with over 5hrs moving time. had a clif bar, a lara bar, a gel, some shot blocks, a waffle, two bottles of mix to start and then just water refills after that, and a can of coke and a twix at a store about 3/4 of the way through. Then stopped at a brewery close to home and had dinner and some beers. It was nice.

nice photos! looks like a great day

buying some candy on the way is a good idea, I'll keep that in mind. I'll also check out Tailwind powder. I need to do a better job of planning stops to eat something since I can't exactly gulp stuff while moving while wearing a respirator.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Today I paid more attention

66mi, 3:44 moving time, 3:52 total time, 119 avg hr so generally z1/2 pace

2 23oz bottles with ~2 scoops each tailwind: 400 cal / 100g carbs (plus I stopped for a water refill so drank like 3 bottles)
1 pb banana clif bar: 260 cal /41g
1 lemon bar larabar: 200 cal /24g
1 clif vanilla gel: 100 cal / 25g
1 honey stinger waffle: 150 cal / 19g

1110cal / 209g carbohydrate or 290cal / 54g per hour. Kind of on the low side but fine for the casual pace I was riding. On a longer, more strenuous ride i'd be better about eating more and would bring more gels and blocks along. Also, ideally that 290cal would be 72.5g carbohydrate and 55g instead of 72g per hour will catch up to you eventually.

saw a lot of turkeys

got home a little after dark

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 29, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Stroopwafels are legit as gently caress as a snack on the go, I like to pack a few in my smol bag. I also really like iced tea from dry mix spiked with a dash lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt while I'm riding in one bottle, and plain water in another. It's refreshingly sour, sweet, covers my electrolytes and carbs, and gives me a lil constant kick of caffeine.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
I've worked out that here in the Netherlands stroopwafels have by far the best kcal/€ ratio as they are only about 0,20 cent each and 175kcal. I wrap them in plastic foil to avoid bringing the whole bag. There does seem to be an upper limit to how many I can consume though, more than one per hour and it fucks me up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

Even at a moderate effort, you physically cannot consume calories fast enough to keep up with what you’re burning on the bike, so anything but ‘the most sugar you can eat’ will leave you in a hole eventually.
I'm fully aware, it's just an easy way to absorb more calories.

If you can read the back of the juice bottle you can absolutely determine how much energy you're ingesting BTW.

Rojkir posted:

I've worked out that here in the Netherlands stroopwafels have by far the best kcal/€ ratio as they are only about 0,20 cent each and 175kcal.
And they fit nicely in jersey pockets and MTB bags

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Aug 29, 2023

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Shadowhand00 posted:

How do you manage to do over 800 miles over 48 hours without your legs dropping off or just falling off the bike in general?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Incredible ride. I know I said this four years ago but I'm hoping to planning on riding 2027. Looking forward to your trip report.

I n+1'ed yesterday in the best kind of way by recovering a bike that was stolen a couple months ago :woop:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

corona familiar posted:

yeah it feels like the alternative is chews or gels but also hate the amount of waste they produce since they're all individually wrapped.

If you do this regularly you can make your own bars if you want. Like this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVN7iLCoyyc&t=23s

(I'm talking about the rice cakes starting at 0:23)

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Nick Dehaan (who won/set the new record at PBP) lives a block over from me. I'm very proud of him (and you of course)!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I'm going to register for Ride The Rivers. There's a Metric Century available, and there's an SAE Century available. It's supported. I've done a few Metrics this year.

Decisions, decisions.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you can do 62 miles you can do 100. It’s just hydration and nutrition.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My butt disagrees with you.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

:hmmyes:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I think this is the route, unless there are changes in the coming month: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/44246488

It's not bad, honestly. The full century skips the hill that makes my ears pop twice when I drive it (Illinois Rte. 3), although I think there's an extra credit section you can do that goes up it, along the top of the valley, and then back down a different road. And, a 16-ish mile stretch, bound on both ends by rest stops, consists of the Confluence Trail and the VadalabeneTrail, which I've ridden a ton.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Peggotty posted:

If you do this regularly you can make your own bars if you want. Like this for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVN7iLCoyyc&t=23s

(I'm talking about the rice cakes starting at 0:23)

drat this guy is so tall. I'll get some MCT and try it out!

that and time. I need to wake up a lot earlier on the weekends to do longer rides and that doesn't happen reliably :lofty:

(and I also need to find longer routes where I'm not battling cars)

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 30, 2023

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

This is true of every distance past 60. I believe I could bike 5k miles if I had the time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

So, I've bugged y'all for weeks (if not longer) about the Moonlight Ramble, and because of thunderstorms that had sure as gently caress better start soon, they postponed the event. So, while I sit around and hope they don't schedule it for a night when I have a gig, here's a picture of my bike and some goofball on it for y'all.

Hey Bikegoons!

GUESS WHAT THE THE FUDGING FUDGE HAPPENED??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

tarlibone posted:

Hey Bikegoons!

GUESS WHAT THE THE FUDGING FUDGE HAPPENED??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

did they reschedule for a night when you had a gig