Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mystes posted:

Philadelphia has solved the problem of not having enough bus drivers because they aren't paying enough, and you'll be very happy to know that the solution is in fact to pay people!

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-school-bus-driver-shortage-parent-flate-rate-program/

Lol they're paying parents to drive their own kids

Watch them throw minority parents in jail for fraud because their kid biked to school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Philadelphia has solved the problem of not having enough bus drivers because they aren't paying enough, and you'll be very happy to know that the solution is in fact to pay people!

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-school-bus-driver-shortage-parent-flate-rate-program/

Lol they're paying parents to drive their own kids
I wonder what the problem is?

quote:

Starting salaries begin at $23,400 for part-time drivers, and $44,880 for full-time.

:iiam:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
My wife was wondering why every time we go visit her family in France there's always a transit strike and I gotta keep reminding her that if they don't gently caress up everyone's vacation time a little bit you're not going to have transit that works when you're not on vacation. I don't think there were any strikes this time around, but it's been a pretty consistent thing that has literally never inconvenienced us despite the times overlapping

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

eXXon posted:

This would have been great to have 25 years ago, but better late than never.

I don't have an opinion on DDIs but I find it curious that the government's own instructional video on it shows two cars clipping through each other at the lower intersection like 10 seconds in:

(there's a white car hiding under the e in Ave at the bottom)

https://twitter.com/ONtransport/status/1573339017000755202

This cannot seriously just be active opposed lanes of traffic crossing each other at-grade

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There are some barely visible lovely models of traffic lights there. They just forgot to have all the cars stop at reds or accurately simulated some fraction of drivers running them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

This would have been great to have 25 years ago, but better late than never.

I don't have an opinion on DDIs but I find it curious that the government's own instructional video on it shows two cars clipping through each other at the lower intersection like 10 seconds in:

(there's a white car hiding under the e in Ave at the bottom)

https://twitter.com/ONtransport/status/1573339017000755202

They expect people to walk on that...?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go

Ham Equity posted:

making it completely unusable by pedestrians is just an added bonus for most traffic planners

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Blackhawk posted:

Also if you're going to start factoring in features that should make an accident less likely to occur into the safety rating then IMO you should also start factoring in features that make an accident MORE likely to happen, I'm thinking specifically of putting all vehicle controls into touchscreen/non-physical interfaces and giving the car lovely external visibility due to high belt lines and thick pillars.

If the aim is to encourage manufacturers to make cars safer by rewarding positive active safety features then surely punishing unsafe design trends would also be logical??

the high belt lines and thick pillars are actually considered safety features. The idea is that it gives more protection to the drivers inside. Its just that visibility was an issue for a long time. Now that there are rearview cameras and lane assist radar they can go hog wild. It's really stupid because the safest car is one moving slower but the governments and manufacturers don't want to do that. The absolute rage at the US National Speed Limit of 55 proves that its untenable to try to slow down cars.

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 14:41 on Aug 26, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Peanut President posted:

the high belt lines and thick pillars are actually considered safety features. The idea is that it gives more protection to the drivers inside. Its just that visibility was an issue for a long time. Now that there are rearview cameras and lane assist radar they can go hog wild. It's really stupid because the safest car is one moving slower but the governments and manufacturers don't want to do that. The absolute rage at the US National Speed Limit of 55 proves that its untenable to try to slow down cars.

In another thread I suggested that all consumer cars should have governors in them limiting them to a max speed of 75 mph, and nobody could actually explain why that was bad but they were still offended and 1005 opposed to the idea.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gripweed posted:

In another thread I suggested that all consumer cars should have governors in them limiting them to a max speed of 75 mph, and nobody could actually explain why that was bad but they were still offended and 1005 opposed to the idea.

god that was fuckin stupid

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gripweed posted:

yeah i forget what thread it was in but someone was raging about driving through a suburb where the speed limit was 25 and I informed them that the speed limit in the town I grew up in (in Indiana) had a town wide speed limit of 20 with a an extra speed limit of 15 around the town church and he didn't believe me.

edit: it so stupid because back in the day the rural speed limits were like 30 on the back roads and 20 in town and everyone was just fine with it. I don't know why its now such a controversial thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Peanut President posted:

edit: it so stupid because back in the day the rural speed limits were like 30 on the back roads and 20 in town and everyone was just fine with it. I don't know why its now such a controversial thing.
Because before people accepted the idea that people should be able to walk and kids should be able to play in residential streets without getting run over, and cars should only drive at speeds that wouldn't make that unsafe, and now everyone agrees that cars should be able to go as fast as possible at all times and residential streets should be the size of highways and have 40mph speed limits that everyone violates

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/worldbollard/status/1695348331386491025

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

mystes posted:

chipmunks are really bad about following the proper rules for MUPs so maybe spend more time being annoyed at chipmunks

saw an antsy chipmunk mistime its path crossing, run straight into the spokes of a bike, get launched 6ft in the air, then scurry back where it came from

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Peanut President posted:

yeah i forget what thread it was in but someone was raging about driving through a suburb where the speed limit was 25 and I informed them that the speed limit in the town I grew up in (in Indiana) had a town wide speed limit of 20 with a an extra speed limit of 15 around the town church and he didn't believe me.

forget it james, it's kulturkampf

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gonna bet the driver didn't see the bollard because of the Hummer's huge hood

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hmm yes this is a problem. Bollards should be bigger.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Hmm yes this is a problem. Bollards should be bigger.
Not taller, just stronger.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Ham Equity posted:

In all honesty, probably not based on the diverging diamond interchange in my city. It works great for car traffic (resolving a previous bottleneck), but the environment it creates is as bleak as any interstate overpass.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Martian posted:

Gonna bet the driver didn't see the bollard because of the Hummer's huge hood

is that a tree :confused:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://i.imgur.com/FRes5eE.mp4

MULTIKILL

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

:blessed:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ey you can't park dere

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Yeah I get that the belt line and pillars are all about making the car safer in a crash which is fine, but I also think they make a crash more likely due to poor visibility and I think that should also be factored into the rating if the positive effect of 'driver aids' get factored.

I don't buy that rearview cameras and radars are an adequate replacement for visibility. People complain about cars that have cameras and screens instead of wing mirrors (like the Honda E) because cameras and screens don't give you binocular depth perception the same as what you get with a mirror, which is inherently worse/less safe. Personally I don't like the feeling of driving around inside a pillbox, it makes me (rightly) nervous that I'll hit something/somebody that I couldn't see regardless of how many tech gimmicks there are to try to bandaid the actual problem.

I've said this before in the thread but IMO the real issue is that vehicle roadworthiness/safety regulations have historically prioritised the safety of vehicle occupants in the event of a crash over all other considerations, and with that incentive structure of course the end result is a literal tank with gun slits to look out of.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Just have your car commander pop their head out of the sunroof and give you driving directions through the intercom. They can also operate the pintle mounted machine gun on the roof to deal with pesky cyclists that are too fast for the turret traverse to catch.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Honestly, if the pedestrian section is narrow, and the bike section is at grade and low traffic, I am going to walk there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lmbo

Oh sorry those are ferraris.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:ferrari:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah I get that the belt line and pillars are all about making the car safer in a crash which is fine, but I also think they make a crash more likely due to poor visibility and I think that should also be factored into the rating if the positive effect of 'driver aids' get factored.

I don't buy that rearview cameras and radars are an adequate replacement for visibility. People complain about cars that have cameras and screens instead of wing mirrors (like the Honda E) because cameras and screens don't give you binocular depth perception the same as what you get with a mirror, which is inherently worse/less safe. Personally I don't like the feeling of driving around inside a pillbox, it makes me (rightly) nervous that I'll hit something/somebody that I couldn't see regardless of how many tech gimmicks there are to try to bandaid the actual problem.

I've said this before in the thread but IMO the real issue is that vehicle roadworthiness/safety regulations have historically prioritised the safety of vehicle occupants in the event of a crash over all other considerations, and with that incentive structure of course the end result is a literal tank with gun slits to look out of.

oh i don't disagree i'm just saying what the regulator's take is

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxD88PflssA

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PingpingTweets/status/1695675067987112008?t=H9xOe_vPDzWkftnaG9XriQ&s=19

Spoilered to stop the embed: guy swerves into a cyclist, slaps him upside the head, then pulls a gun on him.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/PingpingTweets/status/1695675067987112008?t=H9xOe_vPDzWkftnaG9XriQ&s=19

Spoilered to stop the embed: guy swerves into a cyclist, slaps him upside the head, then pulls a gun on him.

no click zone

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1695455536374817070?s=20

The headline, and that tweet, give you the suggestion that the cyclists helped cause the wreck.

But really the guy was going too fast down the hill to begin with and was gonna wreck regardless!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
An accidental ally is still an ally accidentally

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

No one could have predicted that gravity would do this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

look at how much less space cars take up on roads when they're neatly stacked

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

mystes posted:

look at how much less space cars take up on roads when they're neatly stacked

still too much space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

still too much space

they aren't stacked on their side like in that photo though?