Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I think my current despair comes from building chaos marine kits where everything has little spikes and teeth and they all need cleaned up.

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbNzwk-zpl0

Here's a longer gameplay video for Space Marine 2. Even if the bits I saw in the trailer wasn't all that great and the first impression I read elsewhere of the demo seems that it's a bit lacking.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Kingdom death miniatures are probably my personal gold standard for hiding mold lines by concealing them with clothing or body part joins. Wrong scale for 40k though, sadly. Unless you want alterative greater demons I suppose.

I guess actual Gundam kits are good too. They're on a different level though due to the focus being vehicles not human.

its definitely a happy coincidence for KD that stocking tops are perfect for disguising a joint.

Picked up the Votann kill team box today and I'm really impressed at how modular the sprues are. I think much more so than the instructions would point out which tend to only highlight 2-3 options when really it seems like all the arms are interchangeable.

I was especially impressed that the weapons all seem to have the same connection points. The instructions have a warning box that there's only one arm thats intended for the sniper rifle or another of the special weapons but I dry fit another set of arms to the sniper rifle and works fine.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

How do you tell how many points a given model/unit is?

For example for the Triumph of Saint Katherine:

I'd have expected it to be here in the stat block for the unit, but scanning through the two pages for this vehicle I don't see anything that obviously looks like points.. though it's entirely possible that I'm just blind!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'd have expected it to be here in the stat block for the unit, but scanning through the two pages for this vehicle I don't see anything that obviously looks like points.. though it's entirely possible that I'm just blind!

you can find points values in the Munitorum Field Manual or in the app

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Here are the points for all factions

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/agEmmZiw4tq7IOYE.pdf

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Weird Pumpkin posted:

If you're using the app, point costs are in the "Unit Composition" section of the Index Card .

Otherwise, the field manual as mentioned above.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh shoot, thank you. I checked the comprehensive rules and read the entire codex for the army, but didn't think to check something like this :doh:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh shoot, thank you. I checked the comprehensive rules and read the entire codex for the army, but didn't think to check something like this :doh:

Don't knock yourself for it. This is a growing pains situation with the new edition and how they're handling points so it's not super obvious and they don't exactly advertise it front and center on the webpage.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Kingdom death miniatures are probably my personal gold standard for hiding mold lines by concealing them with clothing or body part joins. Wrong scale for 40k though, sadly. Unless you want alterative greater demons I suppose.

often as not extremely horny greater demons, i should add. KD and classy are not on speaking terms, so ymmv for those who are not familiar.

Mr Teatime posted:

I think my current despair comes from building chaos marine kits where everything has little spikes and teeth and they all need cleaned up.

:shepicide:

I just clean up everything with an xacto blade held parallel to the surface. mold lines over fine detail can be wiped with a brush of extra fine plastic cement too but this takes some practice. (light layer, not enough to run much.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/27/sunday-preview-the-hive-mind-is-coming-to-get-you/

The hive fleet is coming. Next weekend sees pre-orders for the Nid codex. Alongside all of the new models shown off before.

quote:

There are datasheets for 47 Tyranid units, six full Detachments with unique abilities, rules, Enhancements, and Stratagems, and all-new Crusade content.

To anyone trying to get the Special Edition version, I salute you and wish you good luck. You'll need it.

The Combat Patrol box also goes up for pre-order for those who didn't buy three Nid halves of the Leviathan box.

Some spiffy Nid dice too.

Meanwhile on WarCom this week:

quote:

Meanwhile, we’ll be rummaging deep inside Codex: Tyranids here at Warhammer Community, dissecting new units and Detachments under an Ordo Xenos microscope, before crowning the week with an absolute banger of a Warhammer Preview Online from the NOVA Open.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 27, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
so i guess norns and the neurolictor are the only new units after all

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well they're new new compared to the others that got glow up. Which in the case of Deathleaper and the Bioware, a massive one.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i did wonder if the vores got a new role to go with the new look but the description does not seem to imply it, which is a shame. mortars are so boring in 40K

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Regarding Munitorum Varnish - the manager at my local GW said the warehouse only gets resupplied with sprays twice a year so they’re expecting to be inundated with stock soon. When soon is though he couldn’t say.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Regarding Munitorum Varnish - the manager at my local GW said the warehouse only gets resupplied with sprays twice a year so they’re expecting to be inundated with stock soon. When soon is though he couldn’t say.

I hope it's only a temporary delay. I have just enough left to varnish my ordnance batteries, after that it's going to get dicey. I've managed to maintain a really decent painting schedule the last year and a half, I'd hate to have it derailed due to varnish issues.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
sorry if this will make me sound very stupid, but what is the specific benefit that I get out of codexes if the datasheets and rules are available for free? I'm super excited for the Tyranids codex but I've never bought any codex before in my life so I dont know what they get me.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Al-Saqr posted:

sorry if this will make me sound very stupid, but what is the specific benefit that I get out of codexes if the datasheets and rules are available for free? I'm super excited for the Tyranids codex but I've never bought any codex before in my life so I dont know what they get me.

The codex will contain multiple detachments for more army building options than just the Index detachment. So there'll probably be one that gives bonuses for Lots Of Little Bugs and another that incentivizes All Monsters and so forth. It's the first 10th edition codex so everyone's in a wait-and-see stage to get an idea of what to expect from further codex releases. Very few people are expecting actual changes to datasheets (rip to Sisters and other armies with poopy sheets) but again, we're all waiting to see how this edition rolls out. Also there should be a little bit of lore and nice pictures but they've been decreasing how much fluff is in a codex book with every edition.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm glad you asked it cause I was actually just wondering the same thing

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

the codex usually has a bunch of background for the faction and photos of minis and such but the link between codices and the new app is still unclear

also the plural of codex is codices

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Al-Saqr posted:

That's a good question!

The answer is that the codex datasheets will be revised, with slight differences in rules for many units, and the revised codex datasheets won't be free, and the index datasheets will be out of date and no longer legal for play once the corresponding codexes are published. Also the codexes will have more detachments.

Cease to Hope posted:

I believe the plural of codex is codices in general, but the plural of GW codex is codexes, at least according to their style guide. Likewise, the singular of dice is die, but the singular of GW dice is dice.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 27, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
die vs. dice is an American vs. British english thing IIRC. and of course Games Workshop is a UK company

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Stephenls posted:

I believe the plural of codex is codices in general, but the plural of GW codex is codexes, at least according to their style guide. Likewise, the singular of dice is die, but the singular of GW dice is dice.

Until GW is paying me to write for them, I'll codices till the end of my days.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

tangy yet delightful posted:

Sorry but their internal inquisitorial team scan all your social media posts and emails and any sign of no adherence to the strict use of codexes as a word will prohibit you from being hired.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Eej posted:

The codex will contain multiple detachments for more army building options than just the Index detachment. So there'll probably be one that gives bonuses for Lots Of Little Bugs and another that incentivizes All Monsters and so forth.

Here's the detachment themes list hot off the leak presses:

Invasion Fleet (same as index)
Crusher
Vanguard - gives advance and charge for stealthy/flying units and fall back and charge for everyone
Synapse
Regen
Swarm

In other news the new Norn Emmisary can pick between two abilities at the start of the game. Either it gets OC15 and a 5+++ on a chosen objective, or rerolls hits & wounds into a single target.

Cease to Hope posted:

If you're speaking Latin then sure. Do you also apply the correct grammar for every other language when using their loanwords in English?

This whole schtick of "but you have to say Carnifices not Carnifexes!" just comes off as peak Reddit.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

xtothez posted:

If you're speaking Latin then sure. Do you also apply the correct grammar for every other language when using their loanwords in English?

This whole schtick of "but you have to say Carnifices not Carnifexes!" just comes off as peak Reddit.
Of course I do.

I say Carnifexes and codices. I follow the rule of cool.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

xtothez posted:

Crusher
Vanguard - gives advance and charge for stealthy/flying units and fall back and charge for everyone
Synapse
Regen
Swarm

In other news the new Norn Emmisary can pick between two abilities at the start of the game. Either it gets OC15 and a 5+++ on a chosen objective, or rerolls hits & wounds into a single target.

What in the world is a Regen detachment that isn't a Swarm detachment

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I hope the Synaspe detachment makes the brain bugs good, I want to make a big brain army

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Eej posted:

What in the world is a Regen detachment that isn't a Swarm detachment

If I had to guess? A Swarm detachment is about swarms of small bugs that respawn when their units are killed. A regen detachment is about tyranids stealing resurrection protocols instead, so you can have regenerating larger bugs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I want the limited edition codex but knowing GW, there's no way. RIP me. At least I'll get a sweet new Deathleaper to tide me over.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Eej posted:

Very few people are expecting actual changes to datasheets (rip to Sisters and other armies with poopy sheets)
I refuse to believe they won't boost factions like sisters and votann and admech given they are not even functioning on the same level as other factions in a way points can't fix. Sisters are meant to take lots of characters for buffs but anytime you think, oh that would be a strong combo, nope sorry not allowed. A worse sin that being bad, it's just boring, there are so few interesting synergies it's just a big meh.

Meanwhile Necrons, sure throw -1 to wound, resurrection orb, some 4+++ meatshields for mortal who fight on death resurrect and fight again, and a character who gives a 5+++ all in your 4++ melee tank unit... Just slap them all in, that's fine with us!

Side by side the design philosophy differences are just so stark, and thats compared to a middling faction, ignoring the eldarephant in the room.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

i think you can roughly separate the codices into three tiers:

1) will not function as written, need significant ground-up changes: Tau, Admech, Votann, DG, SOB, maybe Grey Knights.
2) will be fine with points changes, possible significant (note: this can go in either direction). Most armies are in this bracket.
3) need a rethink of their core mechanic/interaction with the rest of the game rules; nerfs to points only will leave them unfun to play as/against. Eldar are the obvious offenders here but I’d include GSC and Imperial Knights/Custodes, the latter two because they’re so much more durable than most armies can reasonably deal with. You could points hike them into balance but then they’d just be tiny bricks that lose games by being too badly outnumbered, which isn’t really fun for anyone.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

hoiyes posted:

I refuse to believe they won't boost factions like sisters and votann and admech given they are not even functioning on the same level as other factions in a way points can't fix. Sisters are meant to take lots of characters for buffs but anytime you think, oh that would be a strong combo, nope sorry not allowed. A worse sin that being bad, it's just boring, there are so few interesting synergies it's just a big meh.

Meanwhile Necrons, sure throw -1 to wound, resurrection orb, some 4+++ meatshields for mortal who fight on death resurrect and fight again, and a character who gives a 5+++ all in your 4++ melee tank unit... Just slap them all in, that's fine with us!

Side by side the design philosophy differences are just so stark, and thats compared to a middling faction, ignoring the eldarephant in the room.

With how vehicles increased in toughness but melta effectively didn't get a strength increase, it'll take a lot more than just squeezing more characters in to make them viable. Something like Retributors getting +1 to wound against monsters/vehicles would be an okay band-aid, but just that, a band-aid.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 28, 2023

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Floppychop posted:

With how vehicles increased in toughness but melta effectively didn't, it'll take a lot more than just squeezing more characters in to make them viable. Something like Retributors getting +1 to wound against monsters/vehicles would be an okay band-aid, but just that, a band-aid.
Or just letting Retributors have a squad size of ten so you could actually synergise with the detachment rule and shoot back strat. Rather than just being wiped. It's frustrating how many options could have been on the table that would be thematic and fitting.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

xtothez posted:

Crusher
Synapse
Regen
Swarm

This just drives home, to me, how much the "one detachment until codex" system sucks.

Imagine still having a single detachment in 2025 while 60% of the factions have 5+ to choose from.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I'm quietly wondering how busted you'd have to make the other 5 eldar detachments before they'd even have a look in.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

xtothez posted:

in english too though, codices is a pretty common word in some contexts. it's not like octopodes or whatever.

Stephenls posted:

this is an even better reason to call them codices

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Correct Latin is insufficiently Latin, so I always say codii and carnipodes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's all greek to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tangy yet delightful posted:

Your usage of debased low gothic has forced the local adeptus arbites to break down your hab door at midnight and haul you out into the street still half asleep, taken away to a processing facility. You are hereby banished from the upper hive with all the good recycled food and condemned to live in the underhive with all the scaly mutants, gangers and sludge eaters.

May the Emperor forgive your tainted soul.