Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I told this story but at my grandfathers work there was a dude whose entire career was getting shuffled from department to department as the process of doing a PIP was massively more complex and involved than in "gifting" headcount to another department. With enough departments and turnover in heads, it meant eventually this dude had been shuffled through the same departments multiple times as the new guys taking over didn't know what cursed gift they were being given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Salami Surgeon posted:

How do you do this? Because when I tried to get chatgpt to write cover letters, all it would do is regurgitate the job description and my resume together with a whole lotta fluff.

Nobody reads them so it doesn't matter what it says.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Question for the thread: When putting together a job application or responding to interview questions, how far back do you draw your examples from? Can it be from any time in your career that's relevant, or do you have a 'cut off' (e.g. 10 years)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I've switched to only showing the last three jobs I've had and completely left off any job I was at for under a year. It lets me fit my resume onto a single page, which I think recruiters like. I've definitely got more interviews per application since I made the switch.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

My job is fairly mundane and I’d have to strain to give relevant answers to questions so I make up fake job stories for interviews. They won’t know any better. Lie your rear end off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

madeintaipei posted:

I have a particular skill-set, but no idea how to market it. What? "Your poo poo's hosed up and not getting any better. I can unfuck it back to baseline without throwing anyone under the bus, letting you take care of that end. I expose problems by fixing them, while leaving a magnesium fire bright paper trail to show it's been done correctly." Sounds like a hell of a pitch!

Oh, poo poo. No. That's just asset protection/internal security.
What kind of stuff are you unfucking? lovely code, lovely IT infrastructure, lovely work motion, lovely workflows, lovely time management, lovely people management etc?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

McSpanky posted:

:lmao: how does anyone not realize this is exactly what they're incentivizing?

The hosed up thing is I wrote some of the policy. Before May we didn’t have a specific attendance policy, you just got write ups based on “trends” (aka whether you were liked or if anyone noticed you weren’t there.)

So the version I worked on, which was based on another factory, said you got a point a day unless you had a doctor’s note, then it was a point for the whole time you were out. I wanted excused absences to not count for anything and the point thresholds to be lower but anyway…

After a half dozen meetings we had an ok policy and HR took it to the union for review. I say review and not approval because by contract we have full discretion to implement an attendance policy but HR went ahead and started changing stuff anyway. We had another meeting and agreed to most of the changes, then they went and met again with the union.

Then another meeting was held but I was on PTO and didn’t call in. This is the one where they added the “any absence 1-4 days counts as a single point” thing.

Now when I complain about it I’m given poo poo for not being in the meeting where it was reviewed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Chewbecca posted:

Question for the thread: When putting together a job application or responding to interview questions, how far back do you draw your examples from? Can it be from any time in your career that's relevant, or do you have a 'cut off' (e.g. 10 years)

This is a good question and I'm not sure I know the answer. I've taken to consolidating certain jobs that have some cross over skills or increasing the timeline I spent at certain companies to fill in gaps where I worked at a place for like 6 months or a year. In my case, I also worry about ageism (which I believe I have experienced) since I'm 56 in a young person's field anymore and have considered removing the date of my college graduation.

I need to really check out the resume thread I have bookmarked.

Ultra
Dec 30, 2004

Oh no.

Chewbecca posted:

I am a hiring manager for software development, and have hired people over the years and helped with many interviews.

When looking at a resume, I expect to see everything from college on. I am also expecting only the last couple of jobs, or years, to be detailed, because that is what I am going to ask about. I don't expect anyone to remember specifics from long ago and normally skim those parts.

Red flags to me are missing chunks of time, saying you are still proficient in something you used 10 years ago, and seeing a pattern of not staying someplace for long.

My industry may be different than others, so take what I say with a grain of salt. The resume gets you in the door and starts the interviewing process. I am confident is saying that no one has been hired on resume alone.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
For two years I've been gently asking, pleading, begging and now basically screaming for my employers to actually do the fundraising actions they promised to do to keep our organization afloat. Because of their inaction, we can't afford cost of living increases, bonuses or benefits packages like dental or optical. If they'd simply told me two years ago 'we're not helping you, you're on your own' I could have solved the issue. But now it's probably too late.

Finally, they admit my work load is too high. That I need help. That they need to do something. And so instead of agreeing to enact the existing plans, they decided to create a new 'committee' to come up with another fundraising plan. This is exactly what happened two years ago. Round and round nothing changes.

So I have to pick up all the existing tasks they decided to abandon and add them to my workload. They think they are helping me. They also kept telling me I need to take some time off. I can't remember the last time I had a non chemically assisted night's sleep.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^It could be worse, they could have decided to pay an outside consulting firm to come up with a fundraising plan after telling you all this.

Chewbecca posted:

It kind of depends. I tend to retouch the most relevant parts of my resume when I apply to jobs, so when I jumped to my current company it was partially because I emphasized my use of SAP and sales/buying experience from a job I had left four years prior while cutting out some of the stuff about my job at the time that didn't have a ton of direct correlation to what I was applying to do. When I applied to a new position in my current company I cut out like 90% of the stuff I did at previous companies unless it had a direct relationship to the job I was applying for because they want to know you aren't going to need to be trained in basic things. I also don't apply to a lot of jobs, so I have the luxury of being able to make each resume I submit unique. My standard resume is three pages now, I cut down on things as needed to get me under two full pages.

When I graduated college everyone and every bit of advice was to keep the length to a single page and that feels like something that was "just walk into the store and ask the owner for a job" level of outdated now. I've have had six different positions with four companies since college, it's impossible to put that all on one page unless I want to completely eliminate margins and use like, size three font even when cut down. My wife interviews people pretty frequently and said two to three pages is standard even for people our age as job hopping has become more accepted. Just make sure to include a bunch of relevant search terms into everything you submit, the first challenge you have to overcome when applying to a job is the automated filter that wants to see specific terms.

In interviews I've mentioned things from my very first job if they were relevant, even if there wasn't an inkling of that experience on my resume. Yeah, I spent two months creating an automated spreadsheet that dropped the lead time on file export approval from two weeks to seconds. Not something that shows up on my resume, but if I'm asked about taking the long view or how I've created efficiencies in the past it's one of my go to answers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Outrail posted:

So I have to pick up all the existing tasks they decided to abandon and add them to my workload.

This is incorrect. What you need to do is update your resume and start looking for a new position.

Sounds like you’re in a non profit? Keep in mind that there are other good orgs doing work you will care about, you don’t have to stay attached to a sinking ship or gut your life just for the mission.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ultra posted:

I am a hiring manager for software development, and have hired people over the years and helped with many interviews.

When looking at a resume, I expect to see everything from college on. I am also expecting only the last couple of jobs, or years, to be detailed, because that is what I am going to ask about. I don't expect anyone to remember specifics from long ago and normally skim those parts.

Red flags to me are missing chunks of time, saying you are still proficient in something you used 10 years ago, and seeing a pattern of not staying someplace for long.

My industry may be different than others, so take what I say with a grain of salt. The resume gets you in the door and starts the interviewing process. I am confident is saying that no one has been hired on resume alone.

That’s interesting, I’m currently involved in interviewing for my dept & seeing the different formats used is kinda neat. It is odd seeing excessive mention of high school extracurriculars when they graduated a decade ago, although one person who did that and had typos turned out to be a quick learner & hard worker, so what do I know.

One red flag is using a cover letter but not bothering to make sure it’s for this job & not a job you applied for a month ago. That’s happened twice, c’mon.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Outrail posted:

For two years I've been gently asking, pleading, begging and now basically screaming for my employers to actually do the fundraising actions they promised to do to keep our organization afloat. Because of their inaction, we can't afford cost of living increases, bonuses or benefits packages like dental or optical. If they'd simply told me two years ago 'we're not helping you, you're on your own' I could have solved the issue. But now it's probably too late.

Finally, they admit my work load is too high. That I need help. That they need to do something. And so instead of agreeing to enact the existing plans, they decided to create a new 'committee' to come up with another fundraising plan. This is exactly what happened two years ago. Round and round nothing changes.

So I have to pick up all the existing tasks they decided to abandon and add them to my workload. They think they are helping me. They also kept telling me I need to take some time off. I can't remember the last time I had a non chemically assisted night's sleep.

Lets take a look at how much fun you've had with this job shall we?

Outrail posted:

We had 1st aid re-cert last week and during the heart attack/stroke section the instructor was going on about stress being a major issue and my two minions kept side eying me and now they keep bringing it up as a safety concern. The turds.

How is your heart doing these days with that chemically assisted night's sleep?

Start finding someplace that will pay you more to work less.
Cause you are actively killing yourself in your current place.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SerthVarnee posted:

Lets take a look at how much fun you've had with this job shall we?

How is your heart doing these days with that chemically assisted night's sleep?

Start finding someplace that will pay you more to work less.
Cause you are actively killing yourself in your current place.

Working for non-profits is basically asking to work 100 hours a week and get paid like you worked 10. I watched my wife whittle herself down to nothing to make enough to cover her student loans for almost five years across a couple different, well known and funded, orgs. Her first job out of that sphere paid her more for less and now she makes over than three times what she did at her best paying non-profit. Granted, we now work for a war crimes factory that would rather watch both of us die before providing health insurance that isn't us paying for our healthcare, but I would take "being materially secure" over "oh my god, the condo association raised rates and I don't think we can afford to heat the house this winter" as I've lived through both and have opinions.

Non-profits often provide vital, if not life-or-death level, services. Expecting the employees of these organizations to rub themselves to the nib shouldn't be the standard, but it is. In a just world the people making services and opportunities available to the "least" of us would be compensated the way I am for putting in the orders that let a plane get off the ground, but as a society we've decided that my job is more vital because we value international flights over the average person being able to afford a full meal. I've seen this up close and people working for non-profits on purpose before retirement age are some of the most stressed out and dedicated people you can imagine. While we should all demand better from our employers, non-profit workers need to rebel as they are being abused by the people controlling these organizations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Outrail posted:

:fireman:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

Non-profits often provide vital, if not life-or-death level, services. Expecting the employees of these organizations to rub themselves to the nib shouldn't be the standard, but it is.

Non-profits and academia (and education more broadly) have LOT in common in that they take advantage of people who want to work in that sphere for a very specific reasons in order to pay far, far less than they should. I've worked in academia, I'm close to people who have put time into nonprofits, and the parallels are uncanny.

In both of them you also have a tier of executives who are not compensated like utter poo poo.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Non-profits and academia (and education more broadly) have LOT in common in that they take advantage of people who want to work in that sphere for a very specific reasons in order to pay far, far less than they should. I've worked in academia, I'm close to people who have put time into nonprofits, and the parallels are uncanny.

In both of them you also have a tier of executives who are not compensated like utter poo poo.

I mean, hell, food service is no different. Want to cook for a living? Hope you like working paycheck to paycheck!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is incorrect. What you need to do is update your resume and start looking for a new position.

Sounds like you’re in a non profit? Keep in mind that there are other good orgs doing work you will care about, you don’t have to stay attached to a sinking ship or gut your life just for the mission.

There is exactly one nfp doing the work I want to do in the area. I spent four years building up the programs and projects and I can't let all that work go to waste.

Do not ever accept a role at a non-profit that reports to a board of directors. Especially a small no profit with directors who have decades of experience. It' sounds good on paper but the reality is boomer.txt all the way down.

E: everyone's points above are 100% correct and valid.

Society is completely broken, and nfps exist at the bottom of society (along with everyone else).

Outrail fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 27, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

There is exactly one nfp doing the work I want to do in the area. I spent four years building up the programs and projects and I can't let all that work go to waste.

Do not ever accept a role at a non-profit that reports to a board of directors. Especially a small no profit with directors who have decades of experience. It' sounds good on paper but the reality is boomer.txt all the way down.

E: everyone's points above are 100% correct and valid.

Society is completely broken, and nfps exist at the bottom of society (along with everyone else).
Make contacts, leave, let it all burn, then go to the contacts and say "Hey, I'm setting up <new version of the NFP> but without all those idiots that burned down the old one. Want in?"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SiKboy posted:

I'm a teacher. Needed to borrow a key to a cupboard from a teacher in a different department. He produces his work keys which are attached to a 4" wide plush poo emoji as a keyring. I go, get the stuff I need out the cupboard (and also steal a ream of his departments printer paper for my department, thats like gold dust round here), return it and say "Hey, just out of interest, why are your work keys attached to the poo emoji?" He, I swear to god, goes dead white and says "THE WHAT?" "The poo emoji, you know, this?" "I THOUGHT IT WAS A HAPPY TRIANGLE!".

They absolutely knew.

Cthulu Carl posted:

My company no has a new Official Wallpaper.

It's bright purple (Like, find a Lisa Frank folder, find the purple there, then make it brighter), and bisected by a series of curves that are both very dark (Compared to the purple), but also blue LED bright.

It cannot be changed.

Tickets are already coming in about how headache-inducing it is...

The person who decided this has a form of color blindness, I'm willing to bet. Take a look at color blindness color wheels, and then lol look at what they're probably actually seeing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't think there's much hope for better compensation in non-profits, education, and other passion fields. Even if a particular organization has an unusually pro-worker admin/culture, the problem starts at the societal level. They probably couldn't pay you better if they wanted to.

Smuggins
Mar 14, 2008

Blasphemy! Blasphoryou! Blasphoreveryone!
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Make contacts, leave, let it all burn, then go to the contacts and say "Hey, I'm setting up <new version of the NFP> but without all those idiots that burned down the old one. Want in?"

I am at a totally for-profit and I love my team and it will hurt once I land a new job but you bet I am going to let it burn.
They stopped paying market a long time ago and keep demanding efficiencies, well my efficiencies are now impacting documentation. It sadly took away from work and I cannot document things anymore.

Not worth my sanity which has already taken a beating.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Outrail posted:

I spent four years building up the programs and projects and I can't let all that work go to waste.

Yeah, you can. This poo poo sounds like it’s literally killing you if you cant sleep without chemicals.

Are you willing to die for this job?

Edit: also your effort wouldn’t be wasted. You did what you did and helped the people you helped and you can’t hold the place above water yourself. You did your bit, helped fix some poo poo, take pride in that and find someplace else to help people.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Infographic resumes

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Resume.ppt

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think there's much hope for better compensation in non-profits, education, and other passion fields. Even if a particular organization has an unusually pro-worker admin/culture, the problem starts at the societal level. They probably couldn't pay you better if they wanted to.

In a lot of cases they can pay you better. I won't pretend I know everything about all these orgs, but the six months I spent working for a NFP company qualified me for a class action lawsuit over their pay policies. My wife was encouraged to join a similar suit almost ten years after she was fired from the Girl Scouts without cause. I'm biased, but the reason was because she was too good at what she did and the new manager for the office was threatened (and had been appointed to that position because she had won an unlawful termination lawsuit) by someone who had actual ambition and that scared her.

I only got the second hand stories explaining the full extent of how bad not-for-profit companies could be, but it was bad. The life-or-death situation around employment helps nothing as most people are paycheck-to-paycheck. Advancement means moving to a new office that may pay the same but it costs more to live in the area. Building savings is nearly impossible because the Non-Profit thinks you should be doing this out of the goodness of your heart rather than because you want to be able to afford food and shelter. It's been ten years, but I'll go to the matt for anyone coming out of non-profits looking for a more profitable line of work because you've already dealt with the worst situations possible and likely can manage the dumbest people in the corporate system.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 27, 2023

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Volmarias posted:

They absolutely knew.

He absolutely did not, there are teachers in the school I wouldnt have bothered asking because it wouldnt be unusual for them to have a poo emoji in their classroom. Not this guy. He's incredibly proper, not a big one for jokes (let alone anything crude), and also the poo emoji keyring is now hanging on the fridge in my staff base because he immediately took it off his keys and wanted rid of it. He was absolutely mortified.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Splicer posted:

I'll need a board of directors. You can't fix an organizational problem if the problem is hard baked in.

Anyway, I'm probably not leaving just yet. Feel free to piss down the well I know I deserve it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Chewbecca posted:

When it comes to interviewing as a peer/technical interviewer I have a list of qualities I need depending on the level of the opening and I need an example of each. I am personally judging these in the order of 1. relevancy, 2. detail/truth, 3. recency. I am going to give you a few freebie do overs with coaching if you struggle with 1 unless it becomes clear you just can't communicate. I am going to bring down the Columbo just one more thing inquisition on issues in 2. Because of human memory, older examples are going to draw more fouls in 2. Because of the meteoric rate of change in technologies older examples are going to draw more fouls in 1. But I'm not exactly downgrading you just cause its an old example. If I'm somehow dealing with the synchronicity of two people having exactly as strong as experiences but one more recent than the other that's where the recency is going to take over.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
A fish rots from the head down. Corporate rot is never some lone worker not doing their job and lying about it. Someone gets blamed when the company gets into poo poo but no one will ever ask why they weren't able to do their job. When important work is going unfinished it's not some conspiracy between low-level grunts to collectively goof off. People will do their jobs for the most part honestly so long as they are being fairly compensated and tasked correctly. Corporate rot is always a management problem but management is never going to blame itself.

I can think of a lotta things I've been tasked with that I wouldn't do for safety reasons simply because there isn't proper PPE available. Like my last job we were supposed to do interior hull inspections for all fueling tankers on a quarterly basis. No fall protection because the company didn't have an extendable gantry or 3-point harnesses. No confined space entry equipment like air blowers or gas meters. So the guy who trained me would just climb on top of the tanker and poke his head in the hatch with a flashlight. I made the observation that he wouldn't risk doing this at night in stormy weather because it's too risky. If it's too unsafe to do in bad weather then it's clearly not safe in any weather. I just left the box blank.

At my current job a lot of routine inspections require me to lean over a 30' pit with no safety grating. I leave those boxes blank. Thankfully my co-workers have been doing the same so I don't have to be the lone person taking a stand against unsafe work practices. Don't expect me to do a risky thing on a regular basis cuz I'm not going to do it. Anything that's important enough to ask a worker to do something unsafe over is important enough that the company can afford to provide adequate safety precautions. Renting a boom lift on short notice is prohibitively expensive but I'm not about to torque nuts to 800 ft-lbs while standing on a ladder.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Edit: also your effort wouldn’t be wasted. You did what you did and helped the people you helped and you can’t hold the place above water yourself. You did your bit, helped fix some poo poo, take pride in that and find someplace else to help people.

This right here.
Effort and success isn't invalidated if/when you stop doing it. It still happened.
The sort of environment you described seems like a reactive one, so the more you burn yourself out to get stuff done, the more they'll adapt to rely on that by being less efficient themselves. You need a change of scene.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Outrail posted:

I'll need a board of directors. You can't fix an organizational problem if the problem is hard baked in.

Anyway, I'm probably not leaving just yet. Feel free to piss down the well I know I deserve it.

Seriously though, how many people are you going to be helping when you keel over from a stroke?

How are you going to pass that knowledge along?

Who many will you be leaving behind sitting with the cold comfort of "died doing what they loved, getting poo poo pay for hard work".

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Outrail posted:

You’re going to need a friend. And a cup.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ultra posted:

I have a slightly different view on CVs, I don’t care about anything but the most surface level detail on job history and I only really care about the last 5-10 years or last three jobs, whichever is longer.

What I really like is when someone highlights some key areas in the job description and builds their CV around that. So instead of listing their jobs and putting some bullet points around things they did at those jobs, they might have a headline that says “exceptional sales performance” and outline some examples of times they have exceeded sales targets in their previous roles. “Team management” with examples of coaching and developing talent, correcting poor performance, that sort of thing.

Those CVs stand out and make it so that they’d have to completely gently caress up the interview not to get the job.

Edit: I did see a CV that was just a printout of Power BI metrics, that went straight in the bin

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Chewbecca posted:

The funniest CV I've ever seen was someone who applied for an entry level QA job. They decided to list their entire work history stretching back to a cashier job they had back in the 80s. It was nearly 35 years of employment history. Almost none of it was relevant but they obviously thought I needed to know that in the mid 90s they were working as a receptionist.

Don't do that, obviously.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
This thread is a reminder that not only should I update my resume, but that I’m old enough to start deleting poo poo.

:(

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
"Whorehouse piano player" for the gaps.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Atopian posted:

"Whorehouse piano player" for the gaps.

I was thinking Influencer, but that works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

And risk putting out the fire?