Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Captain Monkey posted:

We pay Bitcoin miners an enormous fortune so that they stop mining, and have either blackouts or rolling brownouts to save the companies that control ERCOT slightly higher energy costs.

I think the miners now have their own private natural gas wells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-alcohol-czar-says-us-may-follow-canada-limit-beers-two-week

quote:

Texas Republican Rep. Troy Nehls told Fox News Digital the "rich men north of Richmond are once again recommending what hard-working Americans should and shouldn’t do."

"Biden’s beer czar has no business advising ‘guidance’ on alcohol consumption," Nehls said. "This is who the Democrats are. They want to control every aspect of your life."

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I think the miners now have their own private natural gas wells.

ah, my mistake

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

Government should do my laundry.

We got a lot fuckin closer tonight, where are the nostradamii at

Right now the forecast on ERCOT's site is that we will cross the threshold.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Where Texas goes in 2024, so goes the nation. Overwhelmingly.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
who would've thought that it got hot in texas in the summer? if only we knew we could've prepared the grid

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Wonder what this guy thinks about the government and women's bodies

wait no I don't.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is it just rolling blackouts, survive without A/C for 15 minutes every few hours, or is it one of those "once the threshold is crossed, a cascade failure explodes every transformer simultaneously" things?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

PostNouveau posted:

Is it just rolling blackouts, survive without A/C for 15 minutes every few hours, or is it one of those "once the threshold is crossed, a cascade failure explodes every transformer simultaneously" things?

Rolling is the plan, but a cascading failure could bring things down a few hours. The winter freeze problem also coincided with gas plants freezing up, which room down a bunch of capacity. This is demand driven, so a serious outage would be from insane mismanagement of the grid and things shutting down to prevent mechanical damage.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Oil! posted:

so a serious outage would be from insane mismanagement of the grid and things shutting down to prevent mechanical damage.

oh no

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oil! posted:

Rolling is the plan, but a cascading failure could bring things down a few hours. The winter freeze problem also coincided with gas plants freezing up, which room down a bunch of capacity. This is demand driven, so a serious outage would be from insane mismanagement of the grid and things shutting down to prevent mechanical damage.

The bigger question is how much time and effort has been put into developing plans to manage rolling blackouts? It could be a situation where summer of 2021/2022 really hammered home that it's a serious concern, and they need a playbook - or it could be that ERCOT and the various energy companies throw up their hands and say "This could never have been foreseen!" I wouldn't bet money on it either way.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The bigger question is how much time and effort has been put into developing plans to manage rolling blackouts? It could be a situation where summer of 2021/2022 really hammered home that it's a serious concern, and they need a playbook - or it could be that ERCOT and the various energy companies throw up their hands and say "This could never have been foreseen!" I wouldn't bet money on it either way.

I would, and I know which way.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
I would bet every penny I have and every penny from everyone I've ever known on the latter.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The state has studiously avoided giving the slightest mention to the failures of the natural gas industry which took the freeze from "30 minute rolling blackouts, a couple hours at worst" to "maybe in three days". Turns out natural gas fired power stations can't do jack poo poo if the gas line is reading 0 psi because the gas industry is unable to meet combined heating and industrial demand. Maybe running critical parts of the gas distribution infrastructure on grid-supplied electricity without meaningful backup and not properly insulating/heating parts which deal with drilling products that are prone to freezing isn't a good thing?

Can't admit that the O&G industry isn't the perfect solution to all energy questions. Nope let's blame wind and solar.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Shifty Pony posted:

Can't admit that the O&G industry isn't the perfect solution to all energy questions. Nope let's blame wind and solar.

Those dinosaurs died for you and it would be unamerican to not use every last of their molecules for energy before we move onto using ghost breath and god rays, alright?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Shifty Pony posted:

Sure, you want to complain about wells getting shut in because it was too cold. People would complain if everything started leaking because pipes burst.

They heat trace equipment further up north, but it didn't make sense in West and South Texas where extended freezes didn't happen, until they did.

Cael posted:

Those dinosaurs died for you and it would be unamerican to not use every last of their molecules for energy before we move onto using ghost breath and god rays, alright?

The rocks are older than dinosaurs!

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
Let's loving goooooooooooo 110 here we come. Hurry up and burn up more dead dinosaur juice to help put us over the edge.

Temperatures in Houston will challenge the all-time record high again Sunday https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-weather/forecast/article/houston-all-time-high-temperature-18332205.php

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Oil! posted:

The rocks are older than dinosaurs!

So's you're mom.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
riddle me this u climate change hoaxers: if we burn up more dead dinosaurs to add capacity to the grid now won't it get hotter and cause more problems in the future???

check. mate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mods? mods??

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
whats all that white stuff

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
frozen liberal tears

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Arcella posted:

whats all that white stuff

A photoshop of a fantasy setting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Well my power is out since we heard a "bang" about an hour ago, and drat if we haven't heard two more bangs in that time. So I figure that puts me ahead of the rest of y'all. Catch up!

please stop shooting at the transformers

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

please stop shooting at the transformers

You know where you're posting, right?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Been getting brownouts/ <1 minute blackouts for the past 15 minutes

E: yeah like 9-915 in the NASA area.

Arcella fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 28, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friends in wilco were getting brownouts too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mattlargey/status/1695936592739745986

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That’s what they WANT you to think

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

At any rate the calls for conversation should be over....if the extended forecast is to be believed ¬_¬

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You know where you're posting, right?

New YORK city!?!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Sorry all your electrons blew away

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

At any rate the calls for conversation should be over....if the extended forecast is to be believed ¬_¬

I will never abandon diplomacy

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

i say swears online posted:

I will never abandon diplomacy

This state doesn't do good with doves.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Dameius posted:

This state doesn't do good with doves.

I reckon they've got about 3 more days.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Arcella posted:

I reckon they've got about 3 more days.

*paints camo on face. cracks 9th Lone Star. spills box of shells on dirt. loads shotgun.*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Why is Colin Allred sending you spam that looks like it should be in a live journal.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/analyzing-nate-paul-ken-paxton-friendship/

Article by Dan Solomon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/drdrbrockman/status/1696514323344965687

Oh for sure, I bet they just don't know what to do