Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Xotl posted:

Go to here to see the official errata docs:
https://bg.battletech.com/errata/

All errata is labelled by printing, and when a new printing comes out, the related errata doc always writes out everything new to that printing a second time, lumping it all together at the end of the doc.

Short answer as to what changed is "tons". The 6th printing is the biggest pile of changes since the book came out; it could be called a revised edition if people felt like it. For context, the 2nd to 5th printings combined added a total of 15 pages of errata. With the 6th printing added to it, total errata increases to 28 pages, so it almost adds as much as the other four reprints put together.

Wow. Goddamn. Happy to see AS taking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I've wound up playing Alpha Strike for like the past three weeks, which is a fun game, but doesn't scratch the same itch classic does

Played a 3025 game last night, had a Locust shoot a Vulcan in the back, knock it down, kick it in the ribs, and then the heroic Locust died to an ammo explosion the next turn.

gently caress I love this game :allears:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My work gifted me a 15mm printed Grasshopper for my birthday and it looks incredible.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I have finally convinced a friend to play a game with me next week before I play a game with a goon the following one.

As an intro game with the agoac/alpha strike mechs what's a good intro game? 2v2 (medium+heavy) to learn the basics a bit followed by 4v4?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think I spotted your post on the discord. Prepare yourself for terrible advice.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ilmucche posted:

I have finally convinced a friend to play a game with me next week before I play a game with a goon the following one.

As an intro game with the agoac/alpha strike mechs what's a good intro game? 2v2 (medium+heavy) to learn the basics a bit followed by 4v4?

When I was getting my wife to play Classic, I gave her an HBK-10H and a CPT-C1, which I felt was a good mix of direct fire ballistic and energy weapons, plus missile weapons and jump jets. Lots of systems to learn.

She headshotted both my guys with the Hunchback in the first two rounds.

She still talks smack about it, 8 years later.

:xcom: but Battletech.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Arquinsiel posted:

I think I spotted your post on the discord. Prepare yourself for terrible advice.

Haha, yeah I'm expecting some wild answers from there.

Like full 12k bv with tanks and infantry, plus 12 specific rules from the bmm and total warfare manual wrapped up in a scenario with inscrutable rules

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 26, 2023

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

what day is it son, is it tex talks hunchback day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv9tgyAwuVk

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Working with what you've got from the boxen I'd say work out BV-balanced pairings out of the pool of Wolverine, Shadowhawk, Locust, and Wasp, so that each side has one Medium and one Light, and then just let your friend pick whichever look cooler. Normally I'd say do the pairings with Mediums but the selection you've got isn't great for that, with the Phoenix Hawk being significantly different in capabilities to the Blackjack, the Wraith being fancier tech, and every other Medium being Clan.

Fake edit: or go with the Mediums and use the Catapult and the Archer instead of the Lights. They're pretty close in BV already.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Got an email from Catalyst saying the Alpha Strike: Commander’s Edition was updated, but I’m not sure what they changed. Anyone got any ideas?

I wonder if the Kickstarter Commander Edition book will be this newer printing or the older one. Fingers crossed.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I wonder if the Kickstarter Commander Edition book will be this newer printing or the older one. Fingers crossed.

It was impossible to get the older Commander Edition book through distro for a while, so I'd imagine the new one unless catalyst had a supply they weren't shipping for some reason.

A canadian friend grabbed me one from his FLGS a week or two ago, which I now feel awful for having asked him.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Owlbear Camus posted:

what day is it son, is it tex talks hunchback day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv9tgyAwuVk

They keep stepping up their game with these. That 70s intro is chef kiss

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
…is that RCR in there at the end??

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Got my final kickstarter swag selection sorted! Apparently I was the 529th backer :cool:

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

Revvik posted:

…is that RCR in there at the end??

The way he reviews cars is very fitting considering the likes of GM and Nissan still exist in the sphere 1000 years from now

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Kodiak looks real cool, please tell me it's rules are real cool and I can justify buying that box

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
It's a brawling monster. It struggles a little bit to get into range, but once it's there its short-range firepower is basically second-to-none. Runs a little hot, but that's part of the fun.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It's the spiritual inheritor of the Atlas' "100 tons of Stay The gently caress Away" title. Except it's "stay 12+ hexes away" and not 9+. And the Kodiak is a 4/6 move, and not a 3/5.

edit- some of the variants are even a "no, on 2nd thought, stay right there". 50 LRMs and an ER PPC. Or 2 ER larges and 9 ER Mediums.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 29, 2023

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Welp, thanks for confirming that box is my next purchase. My LGS started stocking some clan stuff and we took the thread advice of "just play with BV and don't over think it" and our last game was a lot more fun. It was a real close time until my timberwolf got hot, fell on its face, and went to sleep. Pretty much all downhill from there

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Icon Of Sin posted:

Got my final kickstarter swag selection sorted! Apparently I was the 529th backer :cool:

One of my buddies is deeply deeply offended that he's getting challenge coins so he's giving them to me(?!) and I'm wondering what use I can get for these except as objective markers and things like that. I get it's a military thing but I uh

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

One of my buddies is deeply deeply offended that he's getting challenge coins so he's giving them to me(?!) and I'm wondering what use I can get for these except as objective markers and things like that. I get it's a military thing but I uh
Throw 'em at people who annoy you? They're just kind of fun stuff to have I guess.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

Throw 'em at people who annoy you? They're just kind of fun stuff to have I guess.

Yeah they're neat. He's just really particular about swag stuff for some odd reason

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Len posted:

The Kodiak looks real cool, please tell me it's rules are real cool and I can justify buying that box

It's a Clan machine so it's almost impossible for it to be bad. You have to work very hard and make a lot of calculated, poor decisions to make that happen.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Defiance Industries posted:

It's a Clan machine so it's almost impossible for it to be bad. You have to work very hard and make a lot of calculated, poor decisions to make that happen.

Clanner hands typed this post.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Whats everyones thoughts on MRMs? They're cheap so you get more bang for your buck, but their ranges and to hit without Apollo are kinda lackluster.

Although sometimes you get lucky and blap someone for 40 or 30 damage.

I treat them as better SRMs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
They're one of the first weapons that played with the range brackets. Prior to MRMs, nearly every weapon has a medium range that's exactly twice its short range; and a long range that's exactly three times its short range. MRMs broke that mold and opened the door for more weapons to have unusual range brackets; which I like.

That said, I think MRM mechanics don't really make sense. They're hard to hit with even at ranges where they really shouldn't have a penalty. If a flight of LRMs can travel 6 hexes before most of the missiles have a chance to arm, there's no reason for MRMs to be harder to hit with than SRMs in the short range bracket.

I think they'd be more fun if they were more like a video game shotgun, with scaling ToHit bonuses over longer range brackets but penalties to their cluster tables.

So instead of being a flat +1 penalty ToHit, they'd be +0/-1/-2 but would subtract 0/2/4 from their cluster table result. That would make them more complicated though, so I don't blame any of the developers of the era for using something simpler.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It used to be. It's everywhere now.

I got yelled at when I got my first challenge coin from the 1st Infantry Division Commanding General and I put on my best goober voice and told everyone "hey look, a pog!"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Clanner hands typed this post.

Who the gently caress are you and why are you coming at me with insults like this?

Saint Celestine posted:

Whats everyones thoughts on MRMs? They're cheap so you get more bang for your buck, but their ranges and to hit without Apollo are kinda lackluster.

Although sometimes you get lucky and blap someone for 40 or 30 damage.

I treat them as better SRMs.

Apollo lets you pay a ton and a crit per launcher to replace the penalty with a different, harder to offset penalty. If you're using MRMs it's probably for the same reason that you use the HGR: you want to flex on people by beating them using very subpar weapons.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Defiance Industries posted:

Who the gently caress are you and why are you coming at me with insults like this?

:stare:

I'm...sorry?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
MRMs are good C3 weapons if you're going the route of making sure your whole force is never shooting further than medium range away (as opposed to "one speedy gently caress and a bunch of snipers"). You can bring them in volume and make sure that no one is cutting your network without being in grave danger by being that close with ECM.

When the Kickstarter delivers I'm going to be putting down an 8K BV lance consisting of:

3/5 Demolisher (MRM)
3/5 Demolisher (MRM)
3/5 Crusader CRD-5K
4/5 Battlemaster BLR-CM

At that point I don't care if I'm "wasting" a C3M, 270 MRMs is a good time.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I get it's a military thing but I uh

It’s usually exceptionally stupid as a military thing. There are exceptions to this (as always), but it’s generally pretty loving dumb and anyone showing them off is a showing a literal field of red flags alongside them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Charitably they are another way of commemorating experiences and affiliations, just another kind of memento you can throw in a shadow box with your ribbon rack and badges.

But there's so much stupid moto poo poo tied up with them. The old canard about "whoever can't produce a challenge coin has to buy drinks" and that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

If I wanted to compile a PDF of all the mech sheets for the models I own is the best way to just hit up flechs and export all of them?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Charitably they are another way of commemorating experiences and affiliations, just another kind of memento you can throw in a shadow box with your ribbon rack and badges.

But there's so much stupid moto poo poo tied up with them. The old canard about "whoever can't produce a challenge coin has to buy drinks" and that.

My wife works as a secretary at the Army Corps of Engineers and she probably has 10 times the number of coins I ever got. That's what I think of challenge coins

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A friend of mine from home had the drinks thing pulled on him when he was in the USA visiting a friend. Random Irish nerd and they thought that bullshit would fly.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GD_American posted:

My wife works as a secretary at the Army Corps of Engineers and she probably has 10 times the number of coins I ever got. That's what I think of challenge coins

I ended up with about a dozen of them after bartending for 4 years, and I wasn't even close to a base. It was just in a college town. Guys that either thought we were best friends after I served them for a night or they thought it was a good tip.

So yeah, my opinion of them is that they're not that special.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Len posted:

If I wanted to compile a PDF of all the mech sheets for the models I own is the best way to just hit up flechs and export all of them?

MegaMekLab lets you select from your unit list to combine all their record sheets into a single PDF, that seems like it would work.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So apparently the Tenth Skye Rangers also claim lineage to the Black Watch.

Is there any unit in the Inner Sphere that doesn't really like the idea of being from the England/Scotland border?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Tried doing PTN's Draconis Suns colours but I'm not feeling the scheme. Not sure if it's the colours themselves or if it's just that tricolor splits like these always looks slightly goofy.