Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Imagine batfleck fighting jim carrey riddler,just shooting henchman and crippling dudes left and right.

He definitely would not sanction Riddler's buffoonery for even a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Except for maybe Batman 66, every Batman cripples countless people.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

Except for maybe Batman 66, every Batman cripples countless people.

Batman 66 killed the rehydrated goons.

Dini/Timm Batman uses cartoon logic so he hasn't, at least.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darko posted:

I'm sure there are plenty of other instances in the show where he punches a goon and they fly into the shark pit/giant mousetrap.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Darko posted:

Dini/Timm Batman uses cartoon logic so he hasn't, at least.

lol DCAU Batman absolutely killed a ton of people with the barest plausible deniability

April Moon

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
My Batman peacefully subdues all of the henchmen who come after him with dual machetes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Someone should do something about that dastardly Batman who keeps putting people on disability and taking tax money from the hard working Americans.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wonder how many times the WB execs discussed if it would be feasible to replace Ezra Miller with an digitally de-aged Justin Long.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

lol wait this is the last shot of the movie?

https://twitter.com/artwithinpod/status/1695441873416892617

Holy poo poo the CGI is so bad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

This is relatively tame compared to... Everything. Spots in the chase sequence made me throw up in my mouth a little. "Looks like something from 25 years ago," as above, is high-end for this movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Stuff from 25 years ago tends to look really good, actually. 1998-2008 generally has pretty solid effects for the bigger stuff.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

feedmyleg posted:

Stuff from 25 years ago tends to look really good, actually. 1998-2008 generally has pretty solid effects for the bigger stuff.

ehhh, that's the period when CGI became ubiquitous and used for everything even when it wasn't up to it

it's the time of star wars prequels and mummy sequels and loving van helsing

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay maybe I've got selective memory. I was thinking of it being more of the "we can afford only 150 CGI shots so we have to be careful about how we integrate them" era, but maybe that was more like '95-2000.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

Okay maybe I've got selective memory. I was thinking of it being more of the "we can afford only 150 CGI shots so we have to be careful about how we integrate them" era, but maybe that was more like '95-2000.

Terminator 2, in 1991, had only 42 CGI shots. Depending on who you ask, the original Jurassic Park, from 1993, has anywhere from 50 to 63 CGI shots.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Codependent Poster posted:

According to the director, it's supposed to look bad. We're seeing it from the Flash's point of view. Even when the shot is directly on the Flash. In a way, it means we're ALL the Flash.

Think about that for a moment.

Whoa.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bogus Adventure posted:

According to the director, it's supposed to look bad. We're seeing it from the Flash's point of view. Even when the shot is directly on the Flash. In a way, it means we're ALL the Flash.

Think about that for a moment.

Whoa.

But I'm not even beating up any Hawaiian tourists!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I know everyone shits on SPAWN quite rightly for bad cgi but some of the violator fight stuff looks great even now.

https://youtu.be/n5i6yEtVneU?si=PlbKBqFpI1oXwNup

Wait i was wrong lol

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

TIP posted:

ehhh, that's the period when CGI became ubiquitous and used for everything even when it wasn't up to it

it's the time of star wars prequels and mummy sequels and loving van helsing

My fave examples of bad looking CGI "because the tech was too premature for what they wanted to do" remain the first Spider-Man and Harry Potter installments - specifically the rooftop run (Peter's run, jump, and landing look so fake and without actual physics involved) and the bathroom troll fight (it's so obviously a CG model Harry faux-flailing on top of the creature and the textures give it away even worse when the very next cut is back to Radcliffe on the floor.)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

But I'm not even beating up any Hawaiian tourists!

Then you might want to do a sniff check. If you're Ezra, you're either beating up Hawaiian tourists or reeking of cigarettes and BO.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
why can't movies get super speed right.
and showing everything in slow-mo is the boring style of it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Agent Escalus posted:

My fave examples of bad looking CGI "because the tech was too premature for what they wanted to do" remain the first Spider-Man and Harry Potter installments - specifically the rooftop run (Peter's run, jump, and landing look so fake and without actual physics involved) and the bathroom troll fight (it's so obviously a CG model Harry faux-flailing on top of the creature and the textures give it away even worse when the very next cut is back to Radcliffe on the floor.)

The last scene of Spider-Man 2 has some really brutal CGI. The helicopters look like rubber toys.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The fight in front of the lights in Blade 2 was memorably bad and I'm fairly sure it was all CGI.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You’re remembering wrong. There was a few good examples like Jurassic Park. CGI is best to enhance practical effects and a director with enough power, money, and desire to make it look good. You look at Guardians 3 and it all looks pretty good and then you have Ant Man and it all looks like trash. I’m sure forcing CGI studios to become sweatshops hasn’t helped much either.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The weirdest thing about the special effects in The Flash is how they would still CG Barry in dialogue scenes when there was only one Barry on screen.

GateOfD posted:

why can't movies get super speed right.
and showing everything in slow-mo is the boring style of it

I'm very curious as to what super speed actually looks like.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ant man 3 made me feel like I'm staring at the interior of an anthill where all the ants have already died

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It was just CGI nonsense without any art direction. It’s a shame because the first two were pretty good.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

It was just CGI nonsense without any art direction. It’s a shame because the first two were pretty good.

Didn't feel like a coincidence that the director did some episodes of The Mandalorian cause it felt like he had crammed Ant-Man into a Star Wars movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Ant man 3 made me feel like I'm staring at the interior of an anthill where all the ants have already died

Lmao jesus

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

The fight in front of the lights in Blade 2 was memorably bad and I'm fairly sure it was all CGI.

IIRC it's mostly real until it very suddenly, and jarringly, isn't. And it's funny as hell

Fake edit: yeah so a handful of the stunts are done with cgi but then in this clip at the two minute mark, they both change to CGI and it's worse than I remembered lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA0Ch2_2o7I

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The CGI parts of that scene look terrible, and there's really no need to CGI 2002 era Snipes. I'm glad it came out so bad and was ridiculed, stemming the tide of whatever you'd call that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

well why not posted:

The CGI parts of that scene look terrible, and there's really no need to CGI 2002 era Snipes. I'm glad it came out so bad and was ridiculed, stemming the tide of whatever you'd call that.

Even Del Toro admits on the DVD commentary that the tech for digital doubles (which are used in three scenes: The opening fight when Blade leaps off the balcony, the above-linked warehouse fight and the final fight with Nomak) was just not there at the time.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Good soup! posted:

IIRC it's mostly real until it very suddenly, and jarringly, isn't. And it's funny as hell

Fake edit: yeah so a handful of the stunts are done with cgi but then in this clip at the two minute mark, they both change to CGI and it's worse than I remembered lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA0Ch2_2o7I

after 16 years of advances in CGI we were able to achieve this

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It works pretty well in the final fight, where they mostly have Nomak throw Blade or leap through the air - the digi-double is used for the actual airtime and then when the body lands they seamlessly transition back to the actor landing on the ground, and it sells the effect a heck of a lot better IMO.

When it's just noodle people moving around it's not great.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

live with fruit posted:

The weirdest thing about the special effects in The Flash is how they would still CG Barry in dialogue scenes when there was only one Barry on screen.

Probably using his double cause Ezra was off crimin’ it up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Special effects have always been all over the place depending on how they're used, sloppy direction and bad priorities make bad CGI noticeable for various reasons. It's the art of smoke and mirrors after all, you have to polish it and use all the tools at your disposal.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Antman 1 and 2 was fun because of the Honey, I struck the Kids perspective, and the fun with shrinking and making things bigger in regular world trying to live normal lives. Car chases and heist stuff

and Antman 3 is just a cgi fest with micro-aliens and everyone just stays the same relative size the whole movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

GateOfD posted:

Antman 1 and 2 was fun because of the Honey, I struck the Kids perspective

lol

surprisingly fitting given ant-man's/hank pym's history

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Special effects have always been all over the place depending on how they're used, sloppy direction and bad priorities make bad CGI noticeable for various reasons. It's the art of smoke and mirrors after all, you have to polish it and use all the tools at your disposal.

Yeah, we know from insider info that in the recent past there's been a trend of big studios just ramrodding CGI companies, to brute force their requests by cranking out as much work as possible as fast as possible in permanent crunch mode. They have the companies just crank out sequence after sequence until they either get what they want or run out of time, either way it turns out substandard, uninspired work that's seemingly inexplicably worse than some past examples.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Bad practical effects can still have charm. Bad CGI makes you viscerally resent a movie. Like a gross intrusion from another reality too alien to understand they should be ashamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Unless it's Lawnmower Man era, then it's a delight