Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Something about that design reminds me of some of the long-term nuclear waste storage site warning ideas

quote:

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

A perfect inscription for a Wagner cemetery.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Lord Awkward posted:

Whoever originally came up with this warning label really didn’t understand human nature.

Edit - and not at all surprised by the cemetery news. Did nobody notice how the original articles talked about the cemeteries being “razed” and then black stone obelisks being added? Do black stone obelisks sound like a token of disrespect to the dead?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The original articles didn’t mention the black stone obelisks. They just showed a flat dirt area with all the crosses, wreathes, etc. all piled to the side.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Mr. Apollo posted:

The original articles didn’t mention the black stone obelisks. They just showed a flat dirt area with all the crosses, wreathes, etc. all piled to the side.

Sorry I think it might have been a “readers added context” entry, but it was there long before the debunking article was posted here.

https://x.com/wartranslated/status/1695044436038693017?s=61&t=flg3LiKrmhfPney16shdvw

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The Artificial Kid posted:

Sorry I think it might have been a “readers added context” entry, but it was there long before the debunking article was posted here.

https://x.com/wartranslated/status/1695044436038693017?s=61&t=flg3LiKrmhfPney16shdvw
When I originally saw it and posted it the “Community Notes” section wasn’t there. I guess it was added sometime between posting and the debunking articles.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Flavahbeast posted:

I'm sure he's gotten at least a talking to in the past, maybe he's just too old or well connected to care

fighterbomber is pretty much as explicitly pro-mod as it is literally possible to be. particularly after the wagner mutiny he's been significantly more gungho and a ton of what he's posting these days are solovyov links. he's zero percent an opposition voenkor, he's pretty much pure party line.

that said his tone shifted after the wagner mutiny and the quality of his posting really dropped off, not that it was ever that high tho

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Some rumours about progress against the second line of defence already, including reports of a breakthrough

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1695747423807697158

We'll see if that's an exaggeration or if it can be easily contained. There's recent evidence of Russian reserves being moved up to strengthen the area in the south so clearly the Russians were trying to prepare for this scenario

Edit:

Ukrainian side reporting something too

https://twitter.com/astraiaintel/status/1695774263834292397

Chalks fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 27, 2023

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
New video from Perun this time talking about Prigozhin:

https://youtu.be/va3UtYl6PUs?si=qojl7pRBx2cOli9n

He did say that he already had a lot of research on him so it's not too surprising he decided to release it a week sooner

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Perun posted:

… before getting into Prigozhin's stunning fall from power …

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Russia officially says he's dead.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1695753094326304860?t=ffKttNOEwq9iX98Al_XkFQ&s=19

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Perun posted:

… before getting into Prigozhin's stunning fall from power...

...ed flight

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
It blows my mind that senior leadership of Wagner would gather in one location, much less travel in the same plane. Prigozhin is obviously a massive target and being able to also take out people like Utkin with him just makes a decapitation strike that much more tempting.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I dont know posted:

It blows my mind that senior leadership of Wagner would gather in one location, much less travel in the same plane. Prigozhin is obviously a massive target and being able to also take out people like Utkin with him just makes a decapitation strike that much more tempting.

Putin really lured them in with those discount group tickets

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

dude should have stuck with catering

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

dude should have stuck with catering

Catering, cratering, what’s the difference for him now?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Catering, cratering, what’s the difference for him now?

His life was sausage meat from beginning to end.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Putin really lured them in with those discount group tickets

Wagner Groupon

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

His life was sausage meat from beginning to end.

When you work in cratering, nobody wants to see how the kielbasa is made.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

When you work in cratering, nobody wants to see how the kielbasa is made.

I worked in catering, ooohh the things i could do to a melon with a parisienne spoon.... :unsmigghh:

:discourse:

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

I dont know posted:

Maybe the logic was that Wagner was still a valuable enough asset that Putin wouldn't dare mulch ALL of them at once like that if he thought it would negatively impact his geopolitical ambitions. IIRC, Wagner still has (had?) a significant presence in Africa.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Maybe the logic was that Wagner was still a valuable enough asset that Putin wouldn't dare mulch ALL of them at once like that if he thought it would negatively impact his geopolitical ambitions. IIRC, Wagner still has (had?) a significant presence in Africa.

They’d already begun shifting African and Syrian operations to a different PMC. I’d say the writing was on the wall

But dude could be drowning in vodka and serving Putin hot dogs still if he had just shut the gently caress up and stayed home. He couldn’t read the writing.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

NHK World is reporting that the Ukrainian pilot known as 'Juice' was part of the *unit* Ghost of Kyiv. Just thought it was interesting seeing that name pop up on a public newscast.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Chalks posted:

Some rumours about progress against the second line of defence already, including reports of a breakthrough

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1695747423807697158

Once they have broken through the second line of defense, how many layers of defense remain before they can entire the Russian rear unopposed? And how many of these have anti-tank ditches?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Once they have broken through the second line of defense, how many layers of defense remain before they can entire the Russian rear unopposed? And how many of these have anti-tank ditches?

It’s not 100% identical across the entire front, but in general there are third lines that are weaker overall and are more meant to be for reserves and fall back points. If Ukraine breaks through the second line it’s really bad for Russia, it’s not like there’s a third line that is just as impressive waiting for them.

Also the defense works themselves are not the only, or even main, factor. It seems from reports that the artillery exchange has been favourable for Ukraine lately, which means that the Russian advantage of artillery plus minefields is weaker. I think that’s a big part of why Ukraine is having an easier time pushing through the defense lines now than during the first stages of the offensive.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

There are multiple layers of defence, all the way back to Crimea. The big question is, are these fortifications properly manned and equipped? Effective entrenchment requires a huge number of soldiers and a lot of equipment and we know Russia is short of both of these things, so there are bound to be weak spots.

If the Ukrainians have indeed breached the second line of defences, the biggest significance of this is that they only reached that line a few weeks ago. They took two months to deal with the first line, if the second line broke in a few weeks it's an extremely good sign for the state of the rest of the fortifications.

That said, the place they have claimed to have breached is Verbove, where the fortifications are broken up by the town. This probably reduces sight lines and minefields, but fighting through a town brings its own problems.

You can see on the map though what a disaster it would be for the Russian defensive lines if Verbove was to be captured, neutralising a huge section of the fortifications and capturing road junctions that would force a Russian withdrawal from the towns on the eastern flank.

We shall see. The Russians saw this coming, so these gains may be stopped as quickly as they started.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 27, 2023

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

lilljonas posted:

It’s not 100% identical across the entire front, but in general there are third lines that are weaker overall and are more meant to be for reserves and fall back points. If Ukraine breaks through the second line it’s really bad for Russia, it’s not like there’s a third line that is just as impressive waiting for them.

Also the defense works themselves are not the only, or even main, factor. It seems from reports that the artillery exchange has been favourable for Ukraine lately, which means that the Russian advantage of artillery plus minefields is weaker. I think that’s a big part of why Ukraine is having an easier time pushing through the defense lines now than during the first stages of the offensive.

You got it exactly right. Generally a third line of defense is designed to give time for a army to retreat. If a attacker has broken through your first two lines of defense there is little chance for you to be able to stop them at that point. You are going to want to start what you have left to retreat to your next defensive position and hope what you have at your third line of defense can hold long enough to get a majority of your forces out. Often you are sacrificing who is on that line to try and save everyone else as well.

This is likely the breakthrough that everyone was expecting. Like I said when this started, it is going to go slow until it doesn't. Russia had time to construct some pretty good defenses so it was going to take some time to breach them. Once they are breached though you are going to see the benefits of the more advanced Western equipment compared to what they had before.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Saw this in another thread a little earlier..

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dante80 posted:

Would you mind unpacking slightly?

“Ever increasing number of unlabeled triangles” isn’t a very clear statement without context.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If things go well for Ukraine, Russians can't control the other parts of the fortification line very well either as they must shuffle artillery, reserves and supplies to the endangered areas. Ukraine can't do a front wide advance because the best troops are reserved for the offensive's schwerpunkts and what's left needs to be kept as a strategic reserve. But hopefully in other sectors Ukrainian forces stay active and either try to recce Russian defenses or force them to remain engaged. Even a pure infantry force can clear corridors through mine fields and capture defensive positions if the defender doesn't commit enough forces to their defence. Defender has to choose whether they hold all parts of the lines that they still have even when the foremost lines are getting flanked and they need to concentrate resources on the areas where Ukraine is currently progressing.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

“Ever increasing number of unlabeled triangles” isn’t a very clear statement without context.

The red triangles are identified Russian defensive emplacements from satellite imagery. So the image (slightly out of date, i believe - there should be more blue) puts into context how many defenses there are to go.

However, they lack contextual information thats hard to determine, such as Russia's ability to man these defense lines, available equipment, and the presence or lack of extensive minefields.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

The number of triangles (presumably fortifications) isn't increasing, the map is just zooming out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Llamadeus posted:

The number of triangles (presumably fortifications) isn't increasing, the map is just zooming out.

So it is! Thank you.

Yes, now that I know what it’s a map of, I can read it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Xiahou Dun posted:

My understanding is that the triangles show Russian forces/fortifications.

The reason you see more triangles in each picture is that the map is zooming out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The short version is that the reported UAF advances in Robotyne are advances through the Russian forces’ disruption zone to get to the first “Main Line of Dense” of (roughly) two “Main Lines.”

It is not an advance through or past the first main Russian line of defense.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

Probably repeating some people here but under most conventional methodology, you got two layers of defense that are all about holding off an offensive while you still can.

Then there's other layers of defense, but those are there to buy the time and order needed to get your forces the gently caress out once there is officially a breakthrough pouring in

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Their progress is claimed to be a bit more advanced than shown here, but yeah, there's a long way to go even if these reports of a breakthrough are accurate. Even in the best case, I can't imagine Ukraine being in a position to threaten Tokmak this year.

Some detailed analysis about what Ukraine could be trying to achieve in the short term, including detailed images of some of the fortifications themselves.

https://twitter.com/emilkastehelmi/status/1695879651158052910

Chalks fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 27, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Staluigi posted:

Probably repeating some people here but under most conventional methodology, you got two layers of defense that are all about holding off an offensive while you still can.

Then there's other layers of defense, but those are there to buy the time and order needed to get your forces the gently caress out once there is officially a breakthrough pouring in

That depends. Usually the foremost line is more of a tripwire when built during a war, because it's difficult to build extensive defenses under enemy surveillance and fire. The main line is then behind that one, there may be tactical lines between them depending on geography. Behind the main line is the rear line, which tends to be more of a thought if there wasn't time to build it up to specs. It's common that even the main line is not complete, though.

Then if there's a partial breakthrough which can't be pushed back, the rear lines get amended in those areas so that if the offensive continues later there are new lines to fall back to.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

That's interesting. Looks like Ukrainian forces are breaking through at one of the most dense conjunctions of fortifications.

If they can keep up momentum, most of those defense lines will become useless. The red triangles show very neatly the sections of the front the Russians will have to give up in that event.

It's also becoming apparent Ukraine chose a very good point to attack: The defensive lines to the east and west are far further apart, making it harder to just hammer all of them down with artillery. The section we're seeing progress on is not only the densest part, the overlapping defensive lines are far too close together. This puts the Russian armed forces in a bind: If they don't defend that part, more and more of their entire frontline will turn into indefensible traps. But if they do, concentrated Ukrainian artillery can just destroy them where they are.

I'm wondering if this is the reason we're seeing now a developing breakthrough here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Problem is, we don't know much about the actual forces and their equipment on either side, so we don't know if that development is significant or irrelevant and it's impossible to tell.

I've read that Russia has been investing a lot into defending even the buffer zone, implying that Russia is unwilling to bend a little bit and letting Ukrainian assaults break against the lines. If that's actually the case, then any sign of brittleness can lead to catastrophic failure.

But we don't know poo poo. I've been spending a lot of time reading and it always strikes me how little we actually know about what's going on there. Ukraine seems to be gaining the upper hand in artillery and taking out a lot of Russian tubes at least, so that's nice.