Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sir Lemming posted:

ImI figure it'll happen eventually though. And it's not like there's no great music. But it would be nice for something exciting to really take off and start a new wave.

So Duran Duran is the next big thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

So Duran Duran is the next big thing.

Well, they do supposedly have an album coming out later this year so we'll see.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://youtu.be/iySzX_aXZYk?si=sxU7aw6BQhm-Ae6h

They should play this at her Eras Tour shows, it’s an incredible feat of engineering. It helps that like 80% of her songs are at least good and even the bad ones have some good lines (I loved when Me! popped up)

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

Junpei posted:

I'm sure as hell not the first person to point this out, but does it feel like people are getting tired of new music?

A lot of really big hits over the last couple of years are so are 'old' in some way. They sample a classic hit (I'm Good, that one Kim Petras song that used Better Off Alone, Super Freaky Girl, Big Energy), or are covers (Luke Combs Fast Car, I think "Creepin" should count broadly as a cover of "I Don't Wanna Know"), are straight up an old song being resurrected (Bloody Mary, that sped-up Miguel track). Taylor Swift has a valid reason for re-recording her catalogue but the fact that she's getting decent successes out of it feels like a tell. It feels like people don't want new things, they want old things a second time.

I honestly think it's got to do with the fragmentation of music too. Same thing happened to the TV show industry. There's so many good shows spread across a million platforms nowadays that its become somewhat rare to find that One Show everyone watched. With music this is even more intensified because the biggest platforms are entirely free (TikTok,Youtube), and most use Spotify or other subscriber based music browsers more as a catalogue of music they already like rather than searching out new ones. Kids, teens and young adults whom pop music are oriented towards aren't listening to the radio anymore either, nor are they watching TV. There's tons and tons and tons of great musicians across various genres now but most of these we haven't really heard about because we're no longer in those circles, nor will most people who aren't into that genre.
I am hopeful for a new big pop music shake-up similar to what Gaga did in the late 2000's / early 2010's, but I'm not sure at all how that's gonna look. Much of Gaga's fame is thanks to her becoming popular exactly on the cusp of the age of social media, and the Bad Romance music video was one of the hottest things on Youtube, radio and the few music video channels on TV. Nowadays I'm sure something similar would have an effect similar to Lil Nas X's videos which was admittedly huge, but I don't feel like it truly shook up the entire male pop industry. I could be entirely wrong on this though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

I honestly think it's got to do with the fragmentation of music too. Same thing happened to the TV show industry. There's so many good shows spread across a million platforms nowadays that its become somewhat rare to find that One Show everyone watched. With music this is even more intensified because the biggest platforms are entirely free (TikTok,Youtube), and most use Spotify or other subscriber based music browsers more as a catalogue of music they already like rather than searching out new ones. Kids, teens and young adults whom pop music are oriented towards aren't listening to the radio anymore either, nor are they watching TV. There's tons and tons and tons of great musicians across various genres now but most of these we haven't really heard about because we're no longer in those circles, nor will most people who aren't into that genre.
I am hopeful for a new big pop music shake-up similar to what Gaga did in the late 2000's / early 2010's, but I'm not sure at all how that's gonna look. Much of Gaga's fame is thanks to her becoming popular exactly on the cusp of the age of social media, and the Bad Romance music video was one of the hottest things on Youtube, radio and the few music video channels on TV. Nowadays I'm sure something similar would have an effect similar to Lil Nas X's videos which was admittedly huge, but I don't feel like it truly shook up the entire male pop industry. I could be entirely wrong on this though.

I mean Old Town Road was a legit crazy hit and he's been able to keep that pace up with a lot of his other singles afterwards. His album may not have been amazing but Industry Baby did pop off.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I mean Old Town Road was a legit crazy hit and he's been able to keep that pace up with a lot of his other singles afterwards. His album may not have been amazing but Industry Baby did pop off.

Yeah, that's fair. I can't remember Old Town Road being a huge hit over here in Norway but Industry Baby and Call me by your Name were huuuuge here.
I suppose that also adds another element to the spread of pop music! It used to be that American produced pop music dominated all airwaves and music video channels, but with TikTok even that has opened up for music from a lot of foreign countries. South-Korea being the HUUUUGE one in this situation. We tend to underestimate the power of K-pop in the pop industry.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yeah, that's fair. I can't remember Old Town Road being a huge hit over here in Norway but Industry Baby and Call me by your Name were huuuuge here.
I suppose that also adds another element to the spread of pop music! It used to be that American produced pop music dominated all airwaves and music video channels, but with TikTok even that has opened up for music from a lot of foreign countries. South-Korea being the HUUUUGE one in this situation. We tend to underestimate the power of K-pop in the pop industry.

You gotta put that in your original post man lol, I have no idea what is going on over there in Europe lmfao

E: I would say Kpop got huge before Tiktok as well. Not saying it doesn't help it though. We are definitely living in the age of the Tiktok star as well as the low key Spotify playlist star too

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

The REAL Goobusters posted:

You gotta put that in your original post man lol, I have no idea what is going on over there in Europe lmfao

E: I would say Kpop got huge before Tiktok as well. Not saying it doesn't help it though. We are definitely living in the age of the Tiktok star as well as the low key Spotify playlist star too

You don't know pop music if you don't follow Eurovision each year, so clearly we're the superior continent.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

You don't know pop music if you don't follow Eurovision each year, so clearly we're the superior continent.

Maneskin won eurovision one year so I guess congrats on that being your pop music over there? I guess? lol I'm good

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Star Walkin' has been on the work playlist since it came out and I hear it about 3 times a day. Between that and it being the theme for the League of Legends World Championship last year I've come to despise that song in a way that really isn't fair.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Eurovision is the lamest fuckin poo poo lol

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Tell me you don't get pop music without telling me you don't get pop music.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

weekly font posted:

Threadban tbh

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/mazzypopstar/status/1696621237219496238?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Matty Healy was like “I think this year I’m just going to ruin everything for everyone else”

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Kinda suspected Charli didn't really like Rina after putting her on the flop that was Beg For You

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

TurnipFritter posted:

Kinda suspected Charli didn't really like Rina after putting her on the flop that was Beg For You

weird post to make about the only charli song i like enough to remember but ok!!

every pop star should strive to make a uk garage revival track as good as that. ariana grande somehow did with no tears left to cry. though one of the bts guys just put out a horrible song interpolating craig david so maybe it's for the best more artists don't

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Charli xcx is in her messy era

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

abraham linksys posted:

weird post to make about the only charli song i like enough to remember but ok!!

every pop star should strive to make a uk garage revival track as good as that. ariana grande somehow did with no tears left to cry. though one of the bts guys just put out a horrible song interpolating craig david so maybe it's for the best more artists don't

I don’t know if you’re into KPop at all but you should definitely listen to NewJeans if you want D&B

https://youtu.be/ArmDp-zijuc?si=I3LTW2EN68Lq32VW

https://youtu.be/jOTfBlKSQYY?si=COoyoxgzhdjvfRh5

edit: Erika de Casier worked on their latest EP

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 30, 2023

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
https://twitter.com/seanfaywolfe/status/1695694469298094575

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

ABBA’s existence will forever disprove this notion.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

So they'll be completely forgotten about in five years is what they're saying

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/mazzypopstar/status/1696621237219496238?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Matty Healy was like “I think this year I’m just going to ruin everything for everyone else”

Who loving cares about this poo poo lol

Also put me down on team “Beg For You bad”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

So they'll be completely forgotten about in five years is what they're saying

On the bright side the post-relevance shift to being a “free speech” media troll will be much less shocking than that one Son of Mumford’s

edit: Beg for You is fine but on an album as packed full of bangers as Crash and with the combination of Charli and Rina being so perfect, it’s definitely a disappointment.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Listen to that Kacey Musgraves duet off his new album and try not to cry. I dunno why y'all suddenly hate him. He's doing something simple-heartfelt and sad country that's stripped back and bare and well-written-and it's connected. I'd rather it go to #1 over that stupid Aldean song or the Rich Men North Of Richmond one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rina was the fourth new shape before getting cut from the team and has been forever resentful since.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Who loving cares about this poo poo lol

Also put me down on team “Beg For You bad”

Learn how to have fun

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m not a tween stan so I have fun in ways that don’t involve gossiping about lame celebrity feuds

Finally watching that Taylor mashup video and it’s super goddamn good but has also reminded me just how awful the Shake It Off video is lmao. There’s also a bunch I never saw, what’s the Tron-lookin one

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Junpei posted:

Listen to that Kacey Musgraves duet off his new album and try not to cry. I dunno why y'all suddenly hate him. He's doing something simple-heartfelt and sad country that's stripped back and bare and well-written-and it's connected. I'd rather it go to #1 over that stupid Aldean song or the Rich Men North Of Richmond one.

I heard it and it was nice but mostly because of Kacey Musgraves. She’s so good

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Finally watching that Taylor mashup video and it’s super goddamn good but has also reminded me just how awful the Shake It Off video is lmao. There’s also a bunch I never saw, what’s the Tron-lookin one

That video is …Ready for It?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

pretty sure its Bad Blood with K Dot

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

^burtle posted:

pretty sure its Bad Blood with K Dot

Nope that’s a heist with all her celeb friends RFI is the one where she’s decked out like it’s Ghost in the Shell

https://youtu.be/wIft-t-MQuE?si=5WlJr62piMzn7zJV

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1696980121821888841?s=20

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Taylor's Eras Tour is getting a theatrical release beginning on October 13th. I went to AMC's app and there was a line to get in to buy tickets.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
My local alt rock station is playing that "Dial Drunk" song by Noah Kahan that has Post Malone on it, and it's making me wonder: do you still consider him a rap star or pure rapper? Or has he transitioned to making pop at this point (heavily rap and alternative rock-influenced pop, mind)?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
He’s always just been a pop star to me. He just rides whatever popular genre there is.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Goddamn

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1697596514216931650?s=20

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1697606483364454737?s=20

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Taylor gonna make Barbie look like Ishtar

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lauren Mayberry of CHVRCHES released her first solo song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMhnoRR935o

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pretty smart to do a theater only concert movie for a concert tour that most fans couldn’t go to. And US only so it doesn’t cut into sales for the overseas tour legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just bought Alamo Drafthouse tix for my daughter and I! Can't wait!