Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Warmachine posted:

I'm guessing it's functionally dabbing and stippling the oil paints for the chipping, black, brown, and orange/rust washes for the grease/lining, then seal the whole bag?
Yeah basically: Dabbing with a lightly-dipped sponge for the edges/chipping/scratches. Putting a little bit on a toothpick and wiping it down to simulate vent/port/hole grease. Some brown for the muddy boots/knees. Dabbing bits on, rubbing it in, then wiping downwards with a brush/fingers for general grime/patina. . Cure for a couple of days then matte topcoat to seal and finish. I got a couple of Tamiya weathering kits but oils are way more fun to use

Diet Poison posted:

I always thought that might be a good way to hide nub marks if you're not going for a full paint: conveniently located rust/oil spots.
It is! I also used it to hide a couple of waterslides I hosed up and a few areas where my knife slipped a bit too much and gouged it. You can hide so much with light weathering, it rocks.

I'm starting the Zeta Ver Ka now and this transformation is insanely cool but I'm seriously considering not painting it because I know if I try to dis-assemble something I'll lose a tiny piece and everything will fall apart.

Edit: new page picture tax. Here's an HG EZ-8 I did with the same effects. 8th Team deserve to be muddy boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Dalong (http://dalong.net/) may not have everything, but it's pretty close. P-Bandai stuff is under the "Club G" heading.

Exactly what I was hoping for, thank you!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

I always thought that might be a good way to hide nub marks if you're not going for a full paint: conveniently located rust/oil spots. Honestly I'm not the biggest fan of weathering but that Guncannon looks great; I think my problem is most people imo tend to overdo it. But that sort of restrained weathering looks great. Like it's been out in the field for a mission or two, not abandoned for a decade.

I weather pretty much any military model I do but agreed that I'm not super into weathering in general for gunpla. I think it can look fantastic, tho, like that Guncannon, and it's not too difficult to limit the amount of weathering IME. I made my Mechagodzilla with Eva-02 colors pretty weathered dirtiness wise because it was painted plastic over the base red color for the most part instead of actual colored plastic so the marks from the sprues were very noticeable, so it is a nice option for kits like that.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I’m wanting to overweather a Barbatos just because it was sitting around for centuries. Idc what it looked like in the show, I’m gonna make it rusted out and mars red dusted!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Pierson posted:

Edit: new page picture tax. Here's an HG EZ-8 I did with the same effects. 8th Team deserve to be muddy boys.

wow, awesome work, and on the guncannon too. i often dislike weathered kits but you really threaded the needle on these imo, great restraint. especially love the mud on the ez-8's feet, transports me right back to the show

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lmao the HG Maxter sold out instantly

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Backlogust Week Four wants you to appreciate I am doing this instead of playing AC6

chrome line posted:

The Crossbone is a lot of fun, and the cloak together with the weapons is a great design

Next up, the MG F91! This is the second to last kit in my backlog, and given my current employment status it's almost certainly the second to last kit I'll be working on this month

Two points, MG logged.

Prof. Banks posted:

Souped up Zaku is finished. I'm a slow builder, but it was the fastest I've ever assembled a HG kit, clocking in at about two hours. The Gundam Mk II was probably around triple that.

Now for the original souped up Zaku and my first RG.

This thing has goddamn springs??? :dafuq:

1 point for the HG, RG logged.

Tergaso posted:

The HG Gyan is done, this is one of the fastest HGs I've built at around an hour and fifteen minutes. It's a very silly design, probably my vote for the silliest outside of the aquatic Zeon suits. Why does the knightly fencing robot have mines?

One point despite your lack of vase appreciation.

wdarkk posted:

G-Witch kits build fast once again. I think I like the Pente more than the Michaelis, now I just need the Prologue one to get all three to compare. It's currently somewhere in shipping for me.

Another twin set coming up, HG F91 Vital Unit One and Two.

One point, two more HGs logged.

Gripweed posted:

I finished the Orks. It's nice to every now and then remind myself that painting infantry is a loving pain in the rear end. There are so many tiny details and when you're done you've got 9 more guys to do. Anybody who has a fully painted green tide Ork army is braver and stronger than any soldier.

For the heroic accomplishment of not letting GW beat you, please accept five points.

“But wait,” you say. “Is this group of tiny plastic toy soldiers equivalent to the effort of building and painting a Master Grade?” And having done both of these extremely dumb things, I say that is honestly not enough points, but I feel weird offering so much for one kit in one go.

Such is life.

Tergaso posted:

Barzam (AoZ RE-BOOT Version (RE-Zeon Captured colors)) complete. The Zeon flag color scheme is striking but reminds me that the Zeon flag is not very subtle with its inspirations. This was a great kit to build but posing suffers a little due to the odd structure of the suit throwing the balance off.

One more point.

Moai Ou posted:

Speaking of Transformers,

Gonna try to squeeze another one of these in for the month:

Gonna have to cut & sand a whole lightbar off the roof of the car for who I want to paint.

Making the big bucks with painting. 2.5 points, and another gum kit logged.

Televisio Frankus posted:

I just want to pop in and say that my posts aren't backlogust entries, I can barely put those together anymore as is.

All good, I just live in fear of not including someone in this goofy contest and inadvertently hurting their feelings in one of the dumbest ways possible.

Asteroid Alert posted:

The Gouf (still not a Zaku) is complete! This was a relatively quick build, had this waiting until I decided on my next kit. This kit also made me really think if I should start painting my kits, the colors are so-so by default. Panel lining this was fun.

Also note how much using a lightbox and decent lighting can make the kit pop vs just having it on my workspace lighted sloppily.

Decided that my next (probably final) backlogust project will be the Full Mechanics Aerial. I'd love to build more, but traveling for the next few days is cutting into building time. So Aerial it shall be.

1 point, and FM logged. I think I called these two pointers.

boz posted:

Finished the Brady Hound. Love a grunt with a big shield

Next and maybe last is this lil guy

1 point, and the Mobile Haro is the kit of choice for all individuals of fine taste.

wdarkk posted:

HG F91 Vital Unit set completed

Next Up is HG Lfrith Thorn.

Two points, plus another Lfrith logged.

Diet Poison posted:

#7: Heindree Sturm
Backlog finished!

Wouldn't mind seeing if I could power out a MG in the week we got left but the markup buying local is high enough that I ain't buying one unless I love it.

congratulations.flv

1 more point.

chrome line posted:

A pretty fun build, though I'm missing one of the v-fin halves and one of the yellow pieces on the side-skirt.

Next up, my final kit of Backlogust and the first HG I've built this month, though it's got the biggest box. Probably not saving the best for last here, but hopefully it'll be fun

2 points, HG Kshatner logged.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1spTf3jEQ82AcdKjs8rlo5iKxjp9NIfgetxeZlRKCZXQ/edit?usp=sharing Check your points!!!

Right now there’s a three way tie for first that could just be a result of me loving up! Don’t lose out on Fabulous Prizes because I’m functionally innumerate!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

With a Leonard Nemo* for a wingman

*Author of I Am Not Sp'gok

Not my intention to make fun, my brain sees things and runs with them sometimes and Trek themed gunpla repaints would be cool

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Phy posted:

Not my intention to make fun, my brain sees things and runs with them sometimes and Trek themed gunpla repaints would be cool

I'm pretty sure I saw a Gyiker and Wouf Custom up there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
We must form VOLTRON! :magical:

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Phy posted:

Who later wrote I Am Sp'gok and I Am Also Szcotabi

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Midjack posted:

lmao the HG Maxter sold out instantly

Nah, it was up for at least an hour and a half on Thursday and they put up another batch this morning (now gone). You really have to jump on stuff as soon as it goes live though if you want to be assured of getting it, and even then…

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Nah, it was up for at least an hour and a half on Thursday and they put up another batch this morning (now gone). You really have to jump on stuff as soon as it goes live though if you want to be assured of getting it, and even then…

Ah ok, I thought it went today and I looked at 905. You are right about sitting on it though, I usually am at my computer with everything open in a tab so I just reload and grab it at 9pm sharp. Popular stuff your best bet is to just buy that and not put other stuff in your cart.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I totally missed it for some stupid reason, I guess I'll have to get it next time. Rose had at least three waves I think?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

wdarkk posted:

I totally missed it for some stupid reason, I guess I'll have to get it next time. Rose had at least three waves I think?

It will definitely be back before too long.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
I won't even dignify the accusations that I do not appreciate fine antique vases. (Did you know his VA is Oberstein from LoGH?)

I completed the GM (Moroccan Front) which continues the trend of fantastic gunpla from the Doan's Island line. If you love the GM, I'd pick up the standard version whenever it comes out since I believe that will be a normal release.

I was happy with how the panel lining came out on this one.

The only quibble is that the back of the left hand tends to pop off when holding the shield. It comes with a beam rifle, but I really like the design of the beam spray gun. I realized halfway through that it's using the GM Ground orange and beige color scheme.

Next up is the HG Gundam Heavy. All the MSD line of kits have been fantastic so I'm always happy to pick one up.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

chrome line posted:

Next up, my final kit of Backlogust and the first HG I've built this month, though it's got the biggest box. Probably not saving the best for last here, but hopefully it'll be fun

It's been a while since I built a High Grade, especially one from more than a few years ago. I forgot how much quicker they go than the kits I've been building lately, even one as big as this

I might pick up another kit in the next week, but that's the last of my backlog

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

chrome line posted:

It's been a while since I built a High Grade, especially one from more than a few years ago. I forgot how much quicker they go than the kits I've been building lately, even one as big as this

I might pick up another kit in the next week, but that's the last of my backlog

I think it looks pretty neat - but, also, I think taking a photo of it in the box like that is really cool! It looks like it'd be easier to control the lighting than most situations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Heed my call; VALIMAR, THE ASHEN KNIGHT! :byodood:

This thing has been Filigree Hell to paint all the gold detailing. I'm honestly proud of myself for getting as decent as it is. Also getting the back wings in is a chore. I think they're meant to click in fully and lock, but hosed if I can get either of them in without slicing my thumbs open or off.

What I'm not happy about is it turns out the upper arm joint is fragile as gently caress.

Anyone got a guide on how to fix this kinda damage? Didn't even realize it'd sheared off til it was in my hand while trying to pose it for photos :sigh:.

This ones' been a chore to build, and I'd probably call it the worst Moderoid I've made yet, between so much of it being unpainted and the fragile arm joints. Plus a few others being tough as gently caress to latch in. I'd probably recommend avoiding this one, and the Ordine coming in December, unless you're gonna be real delicate with it and are very good at painting.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone got a guide on how to fix this kinda damage? Didn't even realize it'd sheared off til it was in my hand while trying to pose it for photos :sigh:.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of joint it is, but is there enough room to drill it and pin it?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If it's not glued together you could also putty up the interior so you have a more secure spot to put a pin in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hobby Lobby had a few Action Base 2s in stock, are those still a good buy or have they been completely eclipsed by the 5?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I haven't bought a Base 5 yet but my Base 2 is still solid as a rock. It doesn't have the pinch in the middle like the Base 5s have for extra pose options but it's hard to beat a big triangle for stability.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

HG F91 Vital Unit set completed

You get a lot of weapons in this kit. The Beam Machine Gun in the right hand of Unit 1 is a special add-in and there's one for each. I don't think you can get the VSBRs positioned so you can have the hands hold them facing forward though. Nice engineering otherwise, the arm setup for the VSBRs is pretty cool.

Next Up is HG Lfrith Thorn.

Thorn is a cool little gremlin guy, even though the gremlin was the other pilot.

Speaking of, next up is HG Lfrith Ur.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

I'm not sure exactly what kind of joint it is, but is there enough room to drill it and pin it?

I would need a tutorial on how to do that, as it's not something I've done before.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
There doesn't look like there's enough meat in the shoulder joint to pin it

But if you can get the shoulder pieces apart enough in the top picture and have access to a pin vice to drill a small hole where the peg broke, you could screw in a small screw, wiggle the head into the opening and close it back up and that should hold it, and give you articulation still.

Otherwise it's gonna be a set and forget super glue job.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
Heavy Gundam down. What a great kit to build, and I think it looks great.

It comes with a "special beam rifle" but the main attraction is the gatling frame.

I just noticed a couple of gaps I need to fix, and I hope those orange stickers don't peel off. (Similar ones sort of spring off at the ends on some of my other kits.)

And what will most likely be my last build of the month, the kit I wish was out when I was younger.

That's right, the MG Gundam Ariel Guntank! I feel so much joy just holding the box and looking at the art.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
How the hell did I never notice that was a gatling?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

I think this is the best work I've ever done on a gunpla. Terrific model.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Those stickers on the inside of the broom scare me. Good job getting them in neatly.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Nullkigan posted:

Those stickers on the inside of the broom scare me. Good job getting them in neatly.

They were VERY difficult, I had to use my exacto to try and align them in, and then pressed them down into the gaps using a thin cloth. Even after that, they didn't stick very well, so I got them in position as best I could and then coated them in clear nail polish to keep some weight on it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
If I don't get a Calibarn and Schwarzette, I'm gonna be pissed. Of course they save my favorite designs for the rear end-end of the line.

Thought I'd grab another HG for the end of Backlogust, but the comic store near me which also sells Gunpla has so little stock that I'd readily believe they decided to stop bringing them in.

But.

They had this...

Ho boy, might have to take a day off work to finish this in time.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Thorn is a cool little gremlin guy, even though the gremlin was the other pilot.

Speaking of, next up is HG Lfrith Ur.

These WfM kits are pretty straightforward.

Next up is the HG G-Defenser & Flyingarmor. Apparently that's how Bandai wants to spell it. It's another addon kit that comes in a standard-size HG box and its manual is longer than the Ur's.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I still think to myself 'the blue one was piloted by the blue-colored girl, right?' even though it's wrong.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Diet Poison posted:

If I don't get a Calibarn and Schwarzette, I'm gonna be pissed. Of course they save my favorite designs for the rear end-end of the line.

Thought I'd grab another HG for the end of Backlogust, but the comic store near me which also sells Gunpla has so little stock that I'd readily believe they decided to stop bringing them in.

But.

They had this...

Ho boy, might have to take a day off work to finish this in time.

Built mine, at a relaxed pace in.. like.. 8 hours? And that was with nice panel lining.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Diet Poison posted:

If I don't get a Calibarn and Schwarzette, I'm gonna be pissed.

The Hobbytowns near me are showing Calibarn in stock, I'm going to check my local store this afternoon. Not sure if you're in the US or located near one but it could be worth checking!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aw man/thank god it's out of stock at mine

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Doing a big round up of all the stuff I started and finished early before lacking the willpower to avoid Baldur's Gate 3 and Armored Core 6.

parabolic posted:

I have a bunch of backlogust submissions:

HG Blue Destiny Unit 2 EXAM

parabolic posted:

HG Gyan

parabolic posted:

HG Death Army

parabolic posted:

MG F91

I ended up very pleasantly surprised by the F91. It's a very elegant expression of the underlying suit's aesthetic and it has some great little gimmicks like the thruster arrays in the legs. It was a good era for mech lineart, shame about the show/movie.

parabolic posted:

HG Lfrith Ur

Man I need a better camera.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
loving the space backdrop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013