Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I probably will not forgive this show if the party monks end up in future-Gitmo, even if it's only the old one so the young one can get away.

Be nice to these characters, Apple, they happen to be charming and sound like real people and I think that's a rarity in your shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

gently caress it man i can just post this every week at this point. what the gently caress is going on in this show hahaha

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Holy poo poo if the next episode ends with Gaal drowned next to Salvor and Hari this will actually be the funniest season of television ever produced.

I'm very thankful that they didn't kill Constant since that would immediately ruin the season for me.

Finally, Dominion's acting really is awful, or just incredibly poorly directed, but I'm getting the goofiest kind of entertainment out of it so I really can't mind.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 25, 2023

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I expected Day had some sceme behind the marriage and is just bluffing about ending the genetic dynasty. I figured he would kill her off after the marriage and take over her country. Now I'm not so sure. Is he really going along with ending the cleon clones or is he just ploting for the right moment?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

DropsySufferer posted:

I expected Day had some sceme behind the marriage and is just bluffing about ending the genetic dynasty. I figured he would kill her off after the marriage and take over her country. Now I'm not so sure. Is he really going along with ending the cleon clones or is he just ploting for the right moment?

Cleon's hands were forced by the poisoning plot last season. They can't maintain their genetic mimeography any longer. The Dominion alliance is a public facing excuse for the growing dynastic incongruities.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
I haven't been paying close enough attention to usernames to tell if not liking Ella-Rae Smith's (Queen Sareth's) acting is a common sentiment or one or two people really hung up on it and mentioning it every week, but I think she's doing a good job with the character.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Hell yeah. Damerzel being stone cold.

DaveKap posted:

Finally, Dominion's acting really is awful, or just incredibly poorly directed, but I'm getting the goofiest kind of entertainment out of it so I really can't mind.

Yeah her acting is incredible distracting, only time the actress did good was when she confronted Day.

DropsySufferer posted:

Well yeah he can do it since they got her egg already. But is the show going to sell that as a surprise? The audiences know the Empire can kill her off now (after the official wedding ceremony.)

---
What's the deal with the Space Navigator Guild. Can Apple really copy a piece of Dune lore and paste it to their own show without paying a royalty. That just seem wrong. Although they are not copying the dirty water mopping guys in S&M gears which is the best part of the Space Navigator lore.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 25, 2023

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Snowmanatee posted:

I haven't been paying close enough attention to usernames to tell if not liking Ella-Rae Smith's (Queen Sareth's) acting is a common sentiment or one or two people really hung up on it and mentioning it every week, but I think she's doing a good job with the character.
I think she's doing fine also

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Snowmanatee posted:

I think I mentioned it one other time. I'm not hung up, she's just really emphatic with her emoting which seems out of place for a character trying to scheme. It takes me out of just a bit since nobody else on the show matches her energy, which makes her stick out as much as Phara did last season. It's a bit cartoonish. However, I think I mentioned that it's entirely possible this is just who the character is supposed to be.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Now that I've watched it, I don't think the party monks were sent for Day. I think Hari wanted a meeting with Day to drive a greater wedge between him and Dawn+Dusk, without Day being the wiser. He didn't say much, but he didn't have to. Day responded poorly, childishly.

Likewise, I don't think Hobor was sent to the spacers for their sake. I mean I guess there's a chance they'd have taken the deal, but the daughter of the Center-head-spacer-lady being on the General's ship reads pretty clearly to me that Hari sent Hobor to show the general that Empire doesn't have the hottest toys anymore. Also, Hari could trust Hobor to wriggle out of that jam without giving up said toys.

Pretty smart moves! I'm liking this season a lot so far.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

DaveKap posted:

I think I mentioned it one other time. I'm not hung up, she's just really emphatic with her emoting which seems out of place for a character trying to scheme. It takes me out of just a bit since nobody else on the show matches her energy, which makes her stick out as much as Phara did last season. It's a bit cartoonish. However, I think I mentioned that it's entirely possible this is just who the character is supposed to be.

even millennia into the future, the TikTok/YouTube/influencer cadence will never die.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DaveKap posted:

She's really good at flaring her nostrils in moments of stress.

I'm not sure about her voice timbre, but acting-wise I think she's real good at conveying things like barely-contained rage.

stephenthinkpad posted:

---
What's the deal with the Space Navigator Guild. Can Apple really copy a piece of Dune lore and paste it to their own show without paying a royalty. That just seem wrong. Although they are not copying the dirty water mopping guys in S&M gears which is the best part of the Space Navigator lore.

Came rushing in here to ask this, having mentioned it after last week's ep. So they're just gonna double down on it, huh. I have no idea how "protectible" ideas like that are but I'm sure you have to disguise it a little more carefully than this, just swapping names for things like spice/obelesk or whatever. Like at least in Wheel of Time their Fremen don't control the world's access to the One Power or something, while awaiting their prophesied offworld messiah

Anyway did Herbert have to pay royalties to T.E. Lawrence i don't think so

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 25, 2023

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DropsySufferer posted:

We are thinking about this harder than the writers but I thought that Day seemed to realize he was destined to be forgotten as he was almost swapped out for a replacement unceremoniously and no one would have ever known. A disposable clone in a series of disposable clones. Using the marriage to become a new Cleon The First Of Something seemed like a valid motivation over just backstabbing an outspoken rival for territory.

This would make the current Day important and memorable for ages as the last Cleon or first king of the new dynasty. The original Cleon started the genetic dynasty for the same reasons and it's only maintained by complete selfless dedication to continuance but the current Day explained he felt fear for himself at the first ever assassination attempt. It would make sense that he doesn't want to get flushed down a space toilet with the status quo as is tradition.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 25, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Data Graham posted:

She's really good at flaring her nostrils in moments of stress.

I'm not sure about her voice timbre, but acting-wise I think she's real good at conveying things like barely-contained rage.

Came rushing in here to ask this, having mentioned it after last week's ep. So they're just gonna double down on it, huh. I have no idea how "protectible" ideas like that are but I'm sure you have to disguise it a little more carefully than this, just swapping names for things like spice/obelesk or whatever. Like at least in Wheel of Time their Fremen don't control the world's access to the One Power or something, while awaiting their prophesied offworld messiah

Anyway did Herbert have to pay royalties to T.E. Lawrence i don't think so

Pretty sure asimov had spacers in his robot novels before Dune was ever written

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

D-Pad posted:

Pretty sure asimov had spacers in his robot novels before Dune was ever written

Yeah but they weren’t thinly veiled guild navigators

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
When the Second Foundation starts enslaving the rest of humanity using psychic tantric sex, then it’ll be time for the Herbert estate to sue.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I really like this season so far but this episode was a bit of a stinker

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The fact they just left Seldon's body there to be discovered is just so hilarious. I'm still laughing that Salvor drowns next to him. I really am enjoying this show more than I should.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

DaveKap posted:

The fact they just left Seldon's body there to be discovered is just so hilarious. I'm still laughing that Salvor drowns next to him. I really am enjoying this show more than I should.

my wife and i were cackling like hyenas. it should not have been so funny, AND YET…

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Next episode, Gaal ends up in the water as well.

Episode after that- the monks,then Hober, then finally dawn day and dusk. As Psychic lady gets increasingly frustrated about why people are so interested in her secret forbidden mystery pool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Quixotic1 posted:

Next episode, Gaal ends up in the water as well.

Episode after that- the monks,then Hober, then finally dawn day and dusk. As Psychic lady gets increasingly frustrated about why people are so interested in her secret forbidden mystery pool.

I made the same joke to the person I was watching this with. Just that by the end of the season the pool will be completely filled with dead bodies.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

We are thinking about this harder than the writers but I thought that Day seemed to realize he was destined to be forgotten as he was almost swapped out for a replacement unceremoniously and no one would have ever known. A disposable clone in a series of disposable clones. Using the marriage to become a new Cleon The First Of Something seemed like a valid motivation over just backstabbing an outspoken rival for territory.

This would make the current Day important and memorable for ages as the last Cleon or first king of the new dynasty. The original Cleon started the genetic dynasty for the same reasons and it's only maintained by complete selfless dedication to continuance but the current Day explained he felt fear for himself at the first ever assassination attempt. It would make sense that he doesn't want to get flushed down a space toilet with the status quo as is tradition.

One thing that I like about this show that came up in the previous season is how the Cleons are shown to actually care about the idea that they can be replaced with an exact duplicate. Usually in media where such technology exists (like Altered Carbon) none of the characters really seem to mind the idea.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

DaveKap posted:

Yeah I don't think this is a show that kills off main characters. Salvor will be saved at the last moment and Seldon is a robot. Alternatively their deaths are the catalyst that makes Gaal achieve her final form, she purges the cult and declares herself queen of the ashes.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I don't think this episode was "a stinker" and im finding it easier to watch than moat of the last season tbh. At least now it is going somewhere tangible, all the elements they have set up are moving cohesively

e: lol moat, freudian slip lmao

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Psychic Boss Lady is the Mule, somehow

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Trying posted:

Psychic Boss Lady is the Mule, somehow

Either that or she's directly responsible for him.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Either that or she's directly responsible for him.
The way the plot's been going, I can only assume that the Mule is actively trying to save humanity from Gaal, leader of the mentallics, and the reason she sees Salvor dead is because Gaal killed her. Even more specifically, I bet Gaal figures out this more accurate future in the next episode when she gets a better memory of her future self because she's busy drowning next to Seldin and Salvor's bodies in the secret drowning pool.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
As a book reader who dropped after season 1, continuing to read this thread is a fascinating case study

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Secret drowning pools are the new cool. Everyone’s doing it!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
All that was missing from that scene was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04F4xlWSFh0

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Yeah but they weren’t thinly veiled guild navigators

I really think you would struggle to patent the concept of a cartel.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can't wait for next episode, to see how they are gonna reconcile this one. What's all that fuzz about the future and the Mule, implied inevitability of it all, when this episode seemingly invalidated this whole scenario with no effort at all.

This Hari Meat Puppet thing was also pointless.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t think the mule thing is going to come up until the final 1 minute of the final episode this season as a teaser for the next season.

* I’ve never read the books

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I really like this season so far but this episode was a bit of a stinker

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I was really enjoying this season until they landed on psychic cult planet. Loved Cleon’s reaction to the atomic ashtray though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
We caught up on this over the last few weeks and I am astounded that the show turned it around. Pretty cool!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Being cautiously optimistic about Huntress not showing up this season.
But if she does, I hope it’s to turn the mentalics insane by repeatedly getting out of series of more and more improbable traps as they attempt to kill her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

iv46vi posted:

Being cautiously optimistic about Huntress not showing up this season.

You've forgotten what happened to her, I think.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
So my galaxy brain take is that Gaal is the mule. I'm enjoying this season for the schlock, I look forward to more creative ways of trying to get Lee Pace and Jared Harris in the same scene together.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Lee Pace and Jared Harris doing naked kung fu battle inside the mcguffin construct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The Day and Dusk Cleon actors do a pretty good job too tbh.