Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yes, honey :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the world of ac6 is so loving bleak lmao, i love how mercenary you are. in world, you gotta figure those generals or execs or whatever giving you the jobs are like "well, ok, we got Raven penciled into the calendar for corpodate 2321.18, but he's blocked off on 2321.21 so he's probably gonna just come back and gently caress up everything we did later anyway, can we get the bonus negotiated down????

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
This is so many people playing at one time. :eyepop:
What is the record for concurrent players in a game?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

2.81 million gokus with grenade launchers

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I just got turned into a Pac-Man

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Buck Wildman posted:

a guy in bg3 just called me a cuck

if you play a bard, you too can literally call people cucks and make them take 1d4 psychic damage and disadvantage on their next attack

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Xaris posted:

this is perfectly fine and how most gaming can be reasonably handled. theres certain developers i'm pretty much down to buy day 0 if it sounds interesting, like SuperGiant Games, Klei, Subset Games , ConcernedApe, Team Cherry, From or Hideo Kojima or whatever.

the reason i never buy western AAA games is because i've been burned enough that most of the time they suck rear end.

that said, my strategy has burned me a few times. Rocksteady was and I bought Arkham Knight and lmao ok never again. Arkane was on my list of "must-buy" but Deathpoop kinda sucked so now it is off my list and I didn't even bother with Redfall because gently caress arkane. Likewise I bought Weird West day 0 because Rafael Colantino was also on my list and same.

I guess i'm pretty much a loyal gamer up to one bad game, and then i'm out forever. i'm the publically traded corpo's worst enemy because if they poo poo out a bad game for quick quarterly profits, i'm out and not paying for them again. Games, however, will keep buying the slop over and over for some reason -- which is crazy to me

Hope the freaks at Arkane can make some good games again. Prey and Dishonoured were so incredibly ftw

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
PUBG has the record at 3.252 million current report.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I beat balteus. for the last quarter of its health bar I was in the red with no repair kits, but I was in the From Zone and saw all his bullshit coming a mile away.
I feel like the melee weapon should be its own slot on top of the left hand weapon. the times where I'd use it on a mission are far between but when I don't have one I really feel it missing.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DaysBefore posted:

Hope the freaks at Arkane can make some good games again. Prey and Dishonoured were so incredibly ftw
yeah i was really kinda bummed because Prey and D1-2 was one of my favorite games

lol at how much of a wet fart redfall landed with

I think they're pretty hollowed out now but we'll see. i'm definitely waiting for awhile on whatever their next game is and the hype cycle to die down before i even consider it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I didn't know anything about how Redfall would play so I was excited. A game about shooting vampires set in a rural fishing town? Literally made for me. Then I watched a cinematic trailer a few weeks before launch and decided not to bother even if it showed up on Gamepass, the right decision sadly

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

More like Redfail

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

More like Redfail

i tried playing it and it was all so just confusing and cumbersome. i think they wanted to make an immersive sim but then they ended up making a bunch of compromises because at some point someone with authority walked into the room and said "hey tarkov is popular"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Al! posted:

the world of ac6 is so loving bleak lmao, i love how mercenary you are. in world, you gotta figure those generals or execs or whatever giving you the jobs are like "well, ok, we got Raven penciled into the calendar for corpodate 2321.18, but he's blocked off on 2321.21 so he's probably gonna just come back and gently caress up everything we did later anyway, can we get the bonus negotiated down????

even funnier are the ones that are like

mission 1: "raven, these terrorists are creating weapons of mass destruction. wipe them out for the sake of all of mankind"
mission 2: "raven, some fucker came in yesterday and hosed all of our poo poo up!! we need you to help us fix it"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

dinosaurs aren't lizards

Tell that to the one in my belly

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

AC6 was a nice surprise for me. i wasn't sure what i was going to think about it and almost didnt download it, but I'm glad I did.

i used tank legs and double shotgun from the moment they were unlocked until credits rolled. the combat and world building are great and all the big industrial set pieces are awesome.

i looked very stupid in cut scenes and that always made me happy

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

wrt starfield they havent made a "new" game in sooooooo long. There is almost no chance the game is good

thats exactly why theres a chance it is good. thats how game development works. they forget how to make a good game, then they forget how to make a bad game

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Bagh, stuck in decision paralysis now that I have to redo my character, stupid spell books not combining, what's even the point of being a hollier than thou fundie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Double shotgun is working really well for me too.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

what a coinkeydink I'm also double shotgunning it

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

missiles/minigun with the highest power/weight ratio possible, its the equivalent of playing naked 2-handing a greatsword

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Al! posted:

ac6 is probably the least bleak that the series has ever been

things on rubicon are going pretty well in comparison to how the earth usually winds up in these games

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

4/4A are good because it's about corporations overthrowing any remaining sovereign states in exchange for exterminating all life on the planet, which they go for because rich people can live in sealed mega cities and they'll all be dead by the time those are unsustainable so not their problem.

I think that the outcomes in 4A are maintaining the status quo by killing anyone who opposis it, humanity going extinct because you kill them all, or humanity has the option of not going extinct but probably just die faster.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

silentsnack posted:

Power Word: Lube

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
This Balteus dude has too many missiles if you ask me

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I beat balteus. for the last quarter of its health bar I was in the red with no repair kits, but I was in the From Zone and saw all his bullshit coming a mile away.
I feel like the melee weapon should be its own slot on top of the left hand weapon. the times where I'd use it on a mission are far between but when I don't have one I really feel it missing.

Got that fucker today by basically going dual laser rifles and hammering him in CQC with an 8 cell VLS and homing missile pod. Actually didn't break much of a sweat when I finally did it, because I was sticking close when the missile massacre attacks happened, then pulling back when that drat flamethrower attack occurred.

I find, aside from the observation before from Gumball Gumption about hitting all the buttons at once and continually moving, you need to make sure you're moving in a manner that allows you to avoid that boss' main heavy hitting attacks. The gently caress off huge volcano hovercraft with mincer arms being a good example if you pay attention and keep on wailing on it.

I also forgot the oscillation blade affects shields quite well and strikes me as better than the bubble gun thing, given the damage it can do and doesn't run out of ammo in two minutes.

Also get a pleasing melancholy from the world and feeling overall, kinda Soulslike, with just enough stuff being left unsaid that it gives that feeling.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like being able to have a longer range, faster cyclic rate weapon too. So having the shoulder hardpoint set as a gun like the railgun or Gatling is good to offset the shotgun slow fire rate.

But then I miss out on more missile spam and have to actually have decent FCS. :(

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Al! posted:

i tried playing it and it was all so just confusing and cumbersome. i think they wanted to make an immersive sim but then they ended up making a bunch of compromises because at some point someone with authority walked into the room and said "hey tarkov is popular"

I think Gradenko posted an article about it in the old threads. they decided to make it online for GAAS reasons but couldn't announce it, and they needed to hire online shooter devs and kept getting applications from imm-sim fans.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I played red fall for a day and thought it was decent, came back a week later and realized it is dogshit.

there is a cool idea in there and the location is neat, but it feels terrible and runs like crap.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Did you ever figure out how to deal with his flamethrower in phase 2? Or his melee if you're near him when he starts using it (because he seems to just lock onto you and follow you with his strikes)?

During my successful run I just got lucky and he mostly stuck to his less dangerous moves in phase 2 (like the rockets). I had a lot of near-successes before that where I got his health super low, but him getting a second shield in phase 2 was usually a death sentence since I can't disable it before dying.

The only thing that comes to mind is that reverse legs + jumping and zooming skyward might get you out of range of the flame, but I needed a heavier build to deal with his other stuff.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This is my favorite when I can make it work, but there are a number of fights where it doesn't. I used it up until Baltheus, and my Baltheus build (but with different arm weapons) carried me until Sea Spider, where I'm currently stuck.

It seems weakest when enemies have heavy armor.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Aug 27, 2023

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm (I think) nearly done with Aria of Sorrow and drat this is neck and neck with Symphony of the Night as far as IGAvanias go. I really like the souls system and there's some decent difficulty spikes here and there. Definitely the best of the GBA Castlevanias overall. I've been meaning to play Bloodstained for years, but now I really want to play it.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
boy I happened to put together a tetrapod build at just the right time before chopper v2

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ytlaya posted:

This is my favorite when I can make it work, but there are a number of fights where it doesn't. I used it up until Baltheus, and my Baltheus build (but with different arm weapons) carried me until Sea Spider, where I'm currently stuck.

It seems weakest when enemies have heavy armor.

That's where I'm at now. I've moved to the Schneider build (mostly, just aping Rusty) for mobility, with the Curtis and oscillator blade and a shotgun. Just got enough mobility to avoid the barrages and jump away from any area attacks, only I get staggered way too easily if I flub it and have no missiles or artillery (generator is kinda lacking).

Should probably have gotten the tetrapod legs now.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I think Gradenko posted an article about it in the old threads. they decided to make it online for GAAS reasons but couldn't announce it, and they needed to hire online shooter devs and kept getting applications from imm-sim fans.

Lmfao. With Arkane dead who's making immersive sims now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DaysBefore posted:

Well, I'm not a game developer so I can say with certainty that it's not me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DaysBefore posted:

I dont want to completely write-off Arkane yet, so i wouldn't quite say they're definitely dead. but i'm getting very pessimistic. maybe with them under new Management (Micro$oft) they might start turning out good games again

anyways, New Blood Interactive is your answer. Gloomwood ftw

e: also Night Dive

Xaris has issued a correction as of 23:11 on Aug 27, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Orb of a creation is such a good game. It plays more like a 4X than an idle game. It's like a Cultist Simulator that tells you what it's bullshit is.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Lostconfused posted:

Bagh, stuck in decision paralysis now that I have to redo my character, stupid spell books not combining, what's even the point of being a hollier than thou fundie.

just play cleric they can merge spells with angel and with the right spell buffs you're as good or better than a paladin at hitting things while also being a full caster with 10 million spells

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ojetor posted:

just play cleric they can merge spells with angel and with the right spell buffs you're as good or better than a paladin at hitting things while also being a full caster with 10 million spells

Yeah I know, but also I don't know which cleric domains I have to pick.

Why did dnd games have to make the dude that prays to a god for magic more complicated than it needed to be. Did they feel left out from all the wacky schools hijinks wizards got?

Edit: Although everything I'm reading just says Oracle is a better class.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah I know, but also I don't know which cleric domains I have to pick.

community and madness are the big dick domains