Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Missingno was actually save-safe, iirc, but it was only one of many variations of glitched pokemon, and several others could ruin your save file.
Yeah, iirc the worst Missingno would do is corrupt your Hall of Fame data, and only if you caught him. It was the other glitch Pokemon (especially some variations of M', iirc) that would have save-eating effects.

Yeah, I recommend that LP if you're interested in looking at an extremely buggy game and seeing what makes the game screw up the way it does. A+ read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been chatting to someone playing Starfield and they told me it's got some really hosed up corpse physics that send bodies bouncing around the maps.

First thing that's got me hyped.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's running on Source now?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, iirc the worst Missingno would do is corrupt your Hall of Fame data, and only if you caught him. It was the other glitch Pokemon (especially some variations of M', iirc) that would have save-eating effects.

Yeah, I recommend that LP if you're interested in looking at an extremely buggy game and seeing what makes the game screw up the way it does. A+ read.

Missingno isn't even always safe, the English loc just got extremely lucky—I don't know every localization's version off the top of my head, but out of the Japanese and English releases Red/Green and both Yellows have Missingnos with sprite data that causes crashes or more extreme data corruption than writing nonsense to Hall of Fame on load (and it is on load, the corruption is due to the front sprite being loving enormous, it's why it takes so long to load). It's just a lot harder to see it in those versions, because the Old Man trick only exists in English Red/Blue.

That LP is a bit outdated (obviously), but it's still a solid starting point; TheZZAZZGlitch on YouTube is a great place to look at more modern understandings on how the early Pokemon games break, as is ChickasaurusGL (though her videos are more short showcases of particular glitches while TheZZAZZGlitch is more about deep dives into how things function).

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
ACE in older games without crash handling is a neat concept, I just wish it didn't take over so many gdq runs. Making link turn in place for a few minutes then suddenly being at endgame is not the same as watching a game played quickly. Same for games that have the potential to scratch a great nostalgia itch - floating through oob for basically the entire run takes away everything that makes metriod prime any good

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I taught my MissingNo Fly then it evolved into Kangaskhan. Used to love to see him take off into the air when battling friends in Pokémon stadium.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Missingno is also great because if you know what you're doing, it's the only way to get Mew on a legit cartridge without a Game Genie or similar third-party hardware. (Or without showing up to an official Pokemon event where they hand them out, but lol that ship has left port over two decades ago.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

Missingno is also great because if you know what you're doing, it's the only way to get Mew on a legit cartridge without a Game Genie or similar third-party hardware. (Or without showing up to an official Pokemon event where they hand them out, but lol that ship has left port over two decades ago.)

the fly glitch will let you get mew without hanging with missingnos

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Tunicate posted:

the fly glitch will let you get mew without hanging with missingnos

Yeah I can only assume they got the Trainer-Fly and Old Man glitches confused—they're totally unrelated, one exploits quirks of the battle and textbox systems, and one exploits how the game handled replacing the starting name with OLD MAN during the catching tutorial (it was by putting the actual name in encounter data, which tbf is a very clever way to do it with the limited space they had since unless your localization team subtly messes up how tiles are read, encounter data is always overwritten when it actually matters).

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Sentient Data posted:

ACE in older games without crash handling is a neat concept, I just wish it didn't take over so many gdq runs. Making link turn in place for a few minutes then suddenly being at endgame is not the same as watching a game played quickly. Same for games that have the potential to scratch a great nostalgia itch - floating through oob for basically the entire run takes away everything that makes metriod prime any good

It kinda doesn't though. Like those speedruns at GDQ are fairly uncommon, and they're specifically labeled as "here's a quick goofy wrong warp speedrun" usually spaced between more traditional ones. Like they usually have a block for weird break the game in half speedruns like TAS block when they do that

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

zedprime posted:

Reading garbage after an unhandled exception and trucking along to get a passable result is error tolerant design. You don't need 16 words for that. It is what it is. Its rare to use 30 years on because you don't need to if you actually do your job and prevent unhandled exceptions from hitting production.

Handling an exception by subbing in a template object like a lvl 2 bulbasaur is one of a million error handling methodologies that come from a modern framework of being able to catch and handle exceptions that were only implemented piecemeal in the "good, stable software" made by "actual software developers" in the 90s (LMA all the way O describing the 90s this way) but is now purchasable off the shelf by any body using anything thicker than Rust or is described by textbooks for those big enough to roll their own.

"The robust core of an engine designed to be iterated and expanded upon with minimal difficulty" is a nonsense phrase you could never teach in a computer science course but I think I get it - its kind of the thing we've been groping for how to do by rote by trying to document certain successes with OOP etc. But at the end of the day in gaming there's just good games and bad ones and there's plenty of good ones with actual trash design and plenty of bad ones with absolutely impeccable design.

Overall I think you're having trouble explaining yourself because your ultimate goal is just insulting new games while building up old ones into something they weren't.

Error-tolerant design is a name I can live with for it I suppose. My entire point here is that modern developers do not test sufficiently to ensure that unhanded exceptions do not occur in an average playthrough, and since you called this "actually do[ing] your job" so I'm going to say that you clearly agree that this is a minimum standard for viability.

I've actually communicated this point quite clearly multiple times, and people have clearly understood it, though they become extremely hostile. Example:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking as a modern developer, you can gently caress right off with that poo poo.

EDIT: to expand: not only are you colossally wrong, you're also an idiot. Modern developers work their asses off and are at least as capable as developers from 30 years ago. The theory of software development is further advanced, the tools are more capable, and frankly the developers from 30 years are are still making games but now have 30 years' more experience to draw from.

Take those rose-tinted goggles off your face and shove them up your rear end.

I. Have. Touched. A. Nerve.

This is because my position that games should be tested and released in a minimally-viable state is anathema to the bigger players in this industry, and many of the smaller players as well. Their workflows would need to be discarded or butchered beyond recognition to accommodate it, and as such it is a matter of rote survival for them to paint me as absurd, and they do it desperately because if this position took hold they would not be able to meet the standard before other, actually competent developers ate their lunch entirely.

I'm really not even arguing here, just changing the language I use to describe this minimum viability argument. People are just incredibly hostile to it for the reasons described above. This is not a new thing, I've argued it before to similar hostile personal attacks. I know it will never change, because it's built into the fabric of the industry and very nearly every person working in it, but it's still wrong and it's still important to say and it's still extremely funny so watch people act like having reasonable standards is just a completely impossible vision and then explain how Actually it's cool and good that an eighty dollar game doesn't work day 1.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Aug 27, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people are hostile because you're taking a poo poo on them and their efforts pretty directly despite, like, actual facts and being insufferable about it the entire time

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

people are hostile because you're taking a poo poo on them and their efforts pretty directly despite, like, actual facts and being insufferable about it the entire time

Well maybe they should try releasing games that work. Have they tried that? No? Weird. I think they should. It's what I try to accomplish every time I bring this up.

Did you know that just outside this industry, literally everywhere else in all of development, there are products released in which the average consumer interaction works as intended? Even in unimaginably complex, globe-spanning systems with an objective shitload more moving pieces, they still somehow make products that are minimally viable.

And yet this is somehow a bridge too far for an entire sub-industry.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Aug 27, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If every time you bring up the same argument everyone calls it stupid, maybe the common factor is not Big Dev.

e. Also it's really weird that you never really explain how Modern Game Development is supposed to be any different from the Old Days even though everyone has brought up examples of glitchy releases since the dawn of gaming. You just found the old glitches tolerable, funny, or never ran into them, which is exactly what most people do now.

mycot has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Aug 27, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Well maybe they should try releasing games that work. Have they tried that? No? Weird. I think they should. It's what I try to accomplish every time I bring this up.

they do release games that work, is the point.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Holy poo poo what a tiresome loaf you are

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Did you know that just outside this industry, literally everywhere else in all of development, there are products released in which the average consumer interaction works as intended? Even in unimaginably complex, globe-spanning systems with an objective shitload more moving pieces, they still somehow make products that are minimally viable.

See this posting? None of this, please.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Well maybe they should try releasing games that work. Have they tried that? No? Weird. I think they should.

"Getting big Bethesda game vibes from this," says guy who has only ever played Bethesda games.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

maybe this goon could put the clap emoji between each word to try and post even worse

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like, the situation you've gotten yourself into is that you refuse to play games until a long time after release because you believe that most games are not only buggy but non-functional when they first come out, and that this is a problem that isn't just with a few games from companies that put out games faster than they should but an industry-wide problem. that just isn't true no matter what way you cut it!

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Yeah, in the good old days, products always worked as intended. Like Thalidomide. Or as a modern example, that hoverboard toy that could overheat and start a fire. Also, why are you assuming the average consumer interaction with a day one game never works as intended? You hear about the bugs but no one makes a fuss when the game runs fine.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

they do release games that work, is the point.

Okay, name a game other than Baldurs Gate 3 released in the last 2 years at a $59.99 or higher price point that I can play to story completion without experiencing a crash or bug that prevents progression. I'm legitimately interested, because again i do want for games to be released in the state you claim they are and if such games exist I wish to know.

I would suggest that you toxx and stream it, but you're a decent poster outside of this one specific discussion and I'm fully aware your account would not survive the attempt.

E: I'm done posting here and unsubbed, even a mod is dogpiling me. Sorry I suggested that the industry should adhere to a baseline level of competence everyone, I'm a terrible poster for asking for the things I paid for to work.

E2: I am legitimately interested in recommendations of recent games I can play on desktop without crashes or needing to follow a guide to avoid state corruption, for the record. I know Nintendo games are generally better but I don't find those types of games compelling enough to buy a Switch about it, especially when they don't discount their older games.

Shit Fuckasaurus has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Aug 27, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly, my biggest problem with all the fancy new games I've bought this year is the lack of bugs. Where are the vehicles dropping in from the sky, the random excluding items? Why am I not spawning in midair and crushing my nuts so hard upon landing that I die? Give me the content I crave, game devs!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Okay, name a game other than Baldurs Gate 3 released in the last 2 years at a $59.99 or higher price point that I can play to story completion without experiencing a crash or bug that prevents progression. I'm legitimately interested, because again i do want for games to be released in the state you claim they are and if such games exist I wish to know.

I would suggest that you toxx and stream it, but you're a decent poster outside of this one specific discussion and I'm fully aware your account would not survive the attempt.

Red Dead Redemption 2?

Red Dead Redemption 1 though is a goldmine for this thread.

e. Okay fine that's too far but Last of Us 2 counts in spirit unless you're being really pedantic.

Tears of the Kingdom was this year.

Final Fantasy 16.

God of War Ragnarok

Horizon 2

Elden Ring (you can prevent completion for yourself but in an entirely intentional way)

Pikmin 4

I'm trying to include a variety of developers and keep it to games with open world elements (so I'm not listing something like Street Fighter 6 even though it's virtually glitchless), but I'm honestly not sure how you're running into so many incompletable games unless you're marathoning Skyrim > Cyberpunk 2077 > Jedi Survivor > Gollum

mycot has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Aug 27, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

I mean if you have a sufficiently big and complex game, you'll probably have a crash somewhere, at some point. I'm not going to say that "a crash happened somewhere" is a sign that a game is bad, because games are complicated things! Lots of weird poo poo can happen! Players will have unexpected hardware/driver combinations alongside trying stuff that never occurred to your QA team! If it's a crash that happens EVERY time and to MANY players(like, lmao, the original VtM Bloodlines, had a bug that would stop progression for ALL players, and until a patch was released the official solution was just "use the console to bypass it"), then sure, it's a problem.

But I feel you underestimate just how many moving parts games have, and you should stop moving the goalposts. We had buggy pieces of poo poo games back in the 90's, too. You try to play the Birthright videogame without crashing every ten minutes on a win 95 PC. Go on. Or Baldur's Gate.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Kirby and the Forgotten Land

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
honestly it'd be really funny if the dude was trying to game on a 960 or something and that's why nothing ever runs for him

anyway i rolled credits on pikmin 4 a couple hours ago and will start up the postgame areas once wrestling is done today

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Ah, yes. Like cars. Famous for not having issues in the first 36,000 miles or three years of ownership.

Or operating systems. They launch issue free always.

Or newly built houses. Which definitely don’t have electrical, plumbing, or foundation issues upon completion.

I am not defending putting out games in a broken state, but merely pointing out that what you said is demonstrably wrong.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

E: I'm done posting here and unsubbed

E2:

Lmao

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

God of War: Ragnarok.

The game sucked, but there wasn't any glitchyness wrong with it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

I prefer most glitchless/no OOB/no skip kind of runs for this reason, there can be an interesting technical explanation for why rubbing your nose into a wall at a very specific angle instantly takes you to the credits but it's much less interesting to actually watch than seeing the strategy for routing through levels, simply playing the game "normally" at a high skill level to do it fast, tricks to gain speed without actually going OOB, etc

Pikmin 2 all treasures is a great example because (while it does have some glitches and skips) it involves a lot of high skill play that the runner can't memorize because at least half of the game takes place in randomly-generated levels, so they can't fully rehearse what they do and have to be creative with their pikmin/captain management, doing extremely risky plays like distracting enemies with a captain while pikmin haul treasures directly behind them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWBgv0Esm3g&t=2806s

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

dialhforhero posted:

Ah, yes. Like cars. Famous for not having issues in the first 36,000 miles or three years of ownership.

Or operating systems. They launch issue free always.

Or newly built houses. Which definitely don’t have electrical, plumbing, or foundation issues upon completion.

I am not defending putting out games in a broken state, but merely pointing out that what you said is demonstrably wrong.
Some of the inline examples they have are EA and Ubi so like I get it but they're embodying the joke about the Tesla owner showing up to a consumer panel and not shutting up about wanting a car where the steering wheel does not fall off.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

E2: I am legitimately interested in recommendations of recent games I can play on desktop without crashes or needing to follow a guide to avoid state corruption, for the record. I know Nintendo games are generally better but I don't find those types of games compelling enough to buy a Switch about it, especially when they don't discount their older games.

Almost like several people did in fact post non-busted reqs and now nerdlord here is running away to avoid having to admit they were a dumbfuck.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Owl Inspector posted:

I prefer most glitchless/no OOB/no skip kind of runs for this reason, there can be an interesting technical explanation for why rubbing your nose into a wall at a very specific angle instantly takes you to the credits but it's much less interesting to actually watch than seeing the strategy for routing through levels, simply playing the game "normally" at a high skill level to do it fast, tricks to gain speed without actually going OOB, etc

While I usually agree with you, there are definitely runs where playing the game "normally" is a lot less interesting. Super Pitfall, for example, is a pretty lousy game, but the speedrun is silly fun because it gives the game exactly as much respect as it deserves. There's a GDQ run by, if I recall correctly, Klaige, which is worth watching. I'd link it but I'm phoneposting right now.

Sometimes you'll get runs where the run category specifically limits which tricks can be used, typically so that "boring" parts of the game (e.g. autoscrollers) can be skipped while leaving as much of the remainder intact as possible. My memory is failing me for examples, but it definitely does happen. Usually only for games that are popular and where the any% run is completely busted, though.

EDIT: Here's the Super Pitfall run

TooMuchAbstraction has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Aug 27, 2023

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wasn't daggerfall impossible to complete as shipped?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Wasn't daggerfall impossible to complete as shipped?

It was not, as I recall it, impossible, but it was unlikely for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, if I remember right, a couple of quest chains were "dead ends." I don't think they prevented you from completing the game, but they, either intentionally or not, just took resources and quest items and then went "lol, lmao."

Secondly, the loving dungeon design. See, except for very few dungeons, like the very first one, none of them were handcrafted in any sense of the word. The remainder were all smushed together out of pre-made chunks that made them completely nonsensical nightmares. I think that a given dungeon might've been the same layout from playthrough to playthrough but where objectives were in the dungeon was also randomized, so guides were also useless. In addition to this, the dungeon "seams" had a habit of dumping you into the void outside of geometry to the point that Bethesda later released a patch... which didn't fix the holes but instead gave you a quick-key to teleport yourself back to the last location you touched that was in-bounds.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

It was not, as I recall it, impossible, but it was unlikely for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, if I remember right, a couple of quest chains were "dead ends." I don't think they prevented you from completing the game, but they, either intentionally or not, just took resources and quest items and then went "lol, lmao."

Secondly, the loving dungeon design. See, except for very few dungeons, like the very first one, none of them were handcrafted in any sense of the word. The remainder were all smushed together out of pre-made chunks that made them completely nonsensical nightmares. I think that a given dungeon might've been the same layout from playthrough to playthrough but where objectives were in the dungeon was also randomized, so guides were also useless. In addition to this, the dungeon "seams" had a habit of dumping you into the void outside of geometry to the point that Bethesda later released a patch... which didn't fix the holes but instead gave you a quick-key to teleport yourself back to the last location you touched that was in-bounds.

Daggerfall was an excellent example of the promise and risks of procedural generation. Its world is vastly bigger than even modern open-world games! ...and there's basically nothing in it. The towns are all basically only differentiated by which shops they procedurally spawn with. And the dungeons are nightmarish 3D labyrinths:

Have fun navigating that in first person!

The neat thing is that you can still, to this day, just go to a random point on the map and stand decent odds of being the first person to explore that section of the game world. It's a meaningless accomplishment, of course. Daggerfall is one of the earlier examples of a game whose developers' reach vastly exceeded their grasp.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Daggerfall was really the No Man's Sky of its day. There's fun to be had there, but it turns out the main selling point is actually the least interesting part of the game.

As for the "impossible to complete" thing, what you might be thinking of is I believe there's an early plot quest where you're told you have to go to a specific place and speak to someone within 2 months or some amount of time that seems like game design language for "not a real time limit". The thing is that the time limit is real and if that amount of in-game time passes without you doing it, they will stop waiting for you and leave, disappearing from the game world entirely and rendering the game impossible to finish. This is an intentional design choice though, not a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh that might have been it. I remember there was a quest where the game gave the wrong date and location for a quest-necessary meeting with someone, and if you didn't show up on time it'd fail the quest.

anyway hit up usenet

quote:

As a huge fan of Arena I have been one of you monkies who have been
waiting well over a year now for the release of Daggerfall. I think the
"original" release date was August of last year? Anyway, now that it's
finally out, I wish it wasn't! What the hell were you beta testers doing?
Didn't you guys SEE these problems? From the list in the front of the
manual I'd have to do ALOT of 'bonking' to cover every beta tester who
did not SEE these problems so I'll have to assume that someone at
Bethesda deemed this game finished and RELATIVELY bug free even though
it was CRAWLING with problems. Is this marketings fault? Were you
guys running low on cash and decided to let the public do your beta
testing after you got some more money to pay your coders to fix the bugs?
I didn't pay 75 bucks to BETA test your software!