Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Turns out, most people don't understand how hard programming is.

It's almost as if SALAMI based coding won't actually improve development in any meaningful way.

I have no idea where some people get their criteria for what makes a good game or not. I saw someone legitimately mad that Elden Ring reused a lot of weapon animations from their prior games and it just baffled me. Like what, you want them to create a new way of swinging a longsword around every game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This thread feels like its veering between expectations wildly.

It is s Bethesda game. You know what you are getting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can get GP ultimate for like $5-6 a month if you stack the codes

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, the will be plenty of hand-crafted areas. What they meant is outside those, everything on planets will be procgen. Which, yeah, always becomes boring after a while. I'm never gonna explore from one end of a map to the other, not when there are 999 other planets to take a look at.

Will be intersting to see how this works out. The strength of BGS games has been that you are pretty much guaranteed to find some little hand crafted thing every xx meters of walking, which makes exploring the map fun. Now if there's a procgen cell with a few points of interest spread across it, it makes exploring planets sound dull.

Maybe the exploration aspect with this game is just checking out the main landing zone of each planet.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You have to understand Witcher 3, RDR2 Elden Ring TOTK BG3 changed everything, bethesda is doomed and will be exposed for being hack frauds.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah pretty much, its gonna be Fallout 4 in space.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

how long until the mod community imports all of Skyrim onto its own planet

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Gonna echo what has already been said. I don't want an infinite procgen planet if there's nothing unique or interesting about it. If there's instanced or procgen POIs for those tiny bubbles of content then cool because it'll be something to explore.

I think at this point I just wish they'd release the game already so I don't have to try to avoid spoilers online for too much longer.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My only doubt stems from this 'the game starts proper once you finish the main questline' stuff because that kinda implies that Bethesda are trying to copy NMS rather than stick to their strengths.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Alchenar posted:

My only doubt stems from this 'the game starts proper once you finish the main questline' stuff because that kinda implies that Bethesda are trying to copy NMS rather than stick to their strengths.

how is that like NMS? NMS is exactly the same experience whether you finish the main questline or completely ignore it

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Alchenar posted:

Isn't that sticking to their strengths? the side missions are always more positively received than their main quest so emphasising that there is stuff after the main quest is good.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Gamers : bloo bloo I want 1000 full planets, previous games were see it you can go there. My immersion

Also gamers : previous cities in games were great, more of that please (those "cities" being a couple of dozen houses that you can walk from one side to the other in a minute)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Earwicker posted:

how is that like NMS? NMS is exactly the same experience whether you finish the main questline or completely ignore it
If the proper game starts when you finish the main quest, then "the proper game" does not have a "main quest." You already finished it.

I assume the fear is it's all procedurally generated content after the main quest, but I would interpret the statement to be about how the real appeal is all the numerous side stories, like in every Bethesda game where the main quest is lame, but in this one you get something for completing the main quest that would make the rest of the game more fun in some way (psychic powers or whatever, I'd guess).

Alternately, new game plus involves time travel or something.

Either way, I don't think they're implying procedural content is the real meat of the game.

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

smoobles posted:

how long until the mod community imports all of Skyrim onto its own planet

I'd be willing to bet that, tucked away in a far away part of Starfield map, there sits a planet that's literally the Elder Scrolls world map.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Zokari posted:

if you die in starfield todd howard personally comes to your house and kills you

Todd grins wickedly as he bares his knife.

"It just works."

Thanks for posting that list of skills, some of them are pretty interesting. It's now impossible for me to decide how I want to build my character; I'll probably meander from skill to skill like I did in Fallout 4.

Some facts from the skill list I found interesting:

Unknown how many crew can be at an outpost, but you can have both human crew and robots.

Maximum number of outposts you can have is whatever the base number is plus 16.

Planets can have a bunch of hazard modifiers on them: pressure, high gravity, toxic atmospheres, extreme temperatures, etc.

8 max crew on a ship.

You can install automated turrets on ships. Ships have different "classes" of A, B, and C with B and C requiring skills. I'm guessing that's size class?

William Bear fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 27, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I wonder if the main quest is gonna be basically exploring with some purpose from doing a lot of it. The main thing we know is you're working with Constellation, who are all about exploration right?

So maybe they've decided to make it so the main quest just plays into how most people play their games anyway, you explore while doing "sidequests" naturally and that kinda makes the sidequests part and parcel of the main quest.

Then what they're saying about the game kicking off when you finish the main quest is like, if you've explored and found out enough about the macguffin, gathered all the parts of it or whatever, which you'll basically have to have done if you've done x amount of sidequests, it opens a portal or wormhole that brings about some huge change to the universe or something?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Eiba posted:

I assume the fear is it's all procedurally generated content after the main quest, but I would interpret the statement to be about how the real appeal is all the numerous side stories, like in every Bethesda game where the main quest is lame, but in this one you get something for completing the main quest that would make the rest of the game more fun in some way (psychic powers or whatever, I'd guess).

where is that fear coming from? like in skyrim there's the main quest about the dragonborn, but there's also the civil war questline, separate questlines for the fighters guild, mages academy, thieves guild, assassin society, and i think some stuff about vampires and werewolves that i kind of ignored. none of those were procedurally generated and i dont see any reason to assume those kind of factional questlines wouldnt be in this game, unless i missed someting procgren has only been mentioned in generating landscapes in random landing zones, not for any story content you do outside the main quest

that said its kind of weird to frame that stuff as "after the main quest" when in the tes games at least you can do that stuff in any order, it's all available from the start of the game you don't have to finish the main quest first

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 27, 2023

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Earwicker posted:

where is that fear coming from? like in skyrim there's the main quest about the dragonborn, but there's also the civil war questline, separate questlines for the fighters guild, mages academy, thieves guild, assassin society, and i think some stuff about vampires and werewolves that i kind of ignored. none of those were procedurally generated and i dont see any reason to assume those kind of factional questlines would be in this game, unless i missed someting procgren has only been mentioned in generating landscapes in random landing zones, not for any story content you do outside the main quest

that said its kind of weird to frame that stuff as "after the main quest" when in the tes games at least you can do that stuff in any order, it's all available from the start of the game you don't have to finish the main quest first

Faction quests are definitely in the game. They've referred to the United Colonies vs Red Fleet quests, for example, and there's almost certainly stuff for cowboy planet and snake planet etc.

I can only assume you need to finish the main quest to be able to open up all the ruins and stuff like that. Maybe found your own faction? Who knows.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The rumor was that the end of the main quest (which is basically the quest line that involves Constellation and the artifacts) results in an open-ended change in the state of the world that has continuing narrative threads that connect to the expansion.

Nobody actually knows for sure though!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
The inclusion of NG+ leads me to think there's some sort of time travel gimmick or an incentive to start from the beginning rather than continue in the existing universe. It could even be like in AC6 where you get the ability to make new choices that have different outcomes in successive NGs.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

I'm gonna make a Sharlin class warcruiser

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You're going to have to progress at least to some extent to unlock things via the main quest. I don't think it's really a spoiler to say you get powers in this game since it's both in the direct and in the controls, which is going to be one of the first things you say, but I'm spoilering this anyway because some people are insane and consider "things you will see within 30 seconds of launching the game and are featured in the promotions" as spoilers.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Zokari posted:

if you die in starfield todd howard personally comes to your house and kills you

Only if you ordered the deluxe version, otherwise you have to buy the upgrade separately; these nickel-and-dime upcharges are tiresome.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I have not seen recent videos or leaks regarding this, so apologies if this is an obvious thing: can you get into a spaceship and watch it take off from the surface of a planet and enter space through your cockpit? This is the thing I liked the most about NMS and Outer Wilds.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Nickoten posted:

I have not seen recent videos or leaks regarding this, so apologies if this is an obvious thing: can you get into a spaceship and watch it take off from the surface of a planet and enter space through your cockpit? This is the thing I liked the most about NMS and Outer Wilds.

No, takeoff and landing are just a cutscene.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Im expecting this game to be base, unmodded skyrim but in space

And that sounds pretty good to me

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Planets, shmanets, I'm just hoping some insane modder parks a recreation of Sevastopol Station near some gas giant. Or a large derelict hulk floating in space that contains numerous swarms of multi-limbed stealers of genetic material. :black101:

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Im so ready for this fuckin’ game. Gunna be a long week.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I really hope someone does a players online chart that shows the day this game comes out and Star Citizer's player count, if that's even a thing

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
It's supremely unfair that they release the game at the end of the week instead of the start.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Bethesda is starting to post a little information on their Starfield Instagram account.

I think this is the first time they've told us anything about Andreja. They confirmed that the four main companions are:

quote:

Sarah Morgan, Chair of Constellation (voiced by Emily O'Brien)
Invisible Wounds: Sarah is a veteran of the Colony War. While she was only a navigator, her ship saw significant combat. The trauma she experienced in battle is something she carries with her to this day.
A New Leaf: After the war, Sarah devoted her life to exploration, searching the galaxy for new worlds and new wonders to uncover. At Constellation, she's found purpose, direction, and a family to share them with.

Barrett, Engineer (voiced by Barry Wiggins)
Scientific Method: Before joining Constellation, Barrett was a UC physicist, but life in a government lab didn't suit him. He uses his scientific knowledge as a tool to explore the universe and learn in the field.
Man of Action: Barrett is an adventurer through and through. The discovery of the Artifacts raises new existential questions, and he is eager to get out there and find the answers.

Sam Coe, Pilot (voiced by Elias Toufexis)
Star Struck: When Sam was just a teenager, he stole a small ship and took it on a joyride into space. One look into the vast expanse and he was hooked. From that day onward, he vowed to live his life among the stars.
Righteous Rebel: Although Sam is a descendant of Solomon Coe (founder of the Freestar Collective and legendary explorer) you'd never know it. He's a champion for the little guy, and prefers life on the fringes of society.

Andreja, Astronomer and Navigator (voiced by Cissy Jones)
Cloak and dagger: Beneath Andreja's seemingly cold demeanor, there is an air of mystery. Her proficiency in clandestine operations certainly raises some questions regarding her past endeavors.
Trust Falls: While her efficiency in the field is undeniable, Andreja can be fiercely independent to a fault. Vlad, an outsider himself, has been her greatest ally in helping her embrace this new UC way of life.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 28, 2023

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
The skills are out and after looking at it, all the interesting ones I would need for a solo stealth smuggler + ships + outposts would be done at level ~76. I wonder how the NG+ works and whether some skills transfer through. In that case it would be maybe better to do a normal difficulty UC + Main Quest quick run through and then do the fun wanted + introvert + Neon very hard run.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the correct choice is to wait 5 days, pay the $5 or $10 or whatever for the game pass, play this till you are bored and then never touch it again saving yourself $60-$90

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Oh Adam Jensen is in this game?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I am going to pay $99.99 for this video game

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I've spent $200+ on Skyrims and I'm not ashamed to admit it

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

Flowing Thot posted:

When we heard Sam's voice in the Direct, we kind of knew. He has a distinctive voice.

Embarrassingly, at first I thought I heard Raphael Sbarge (Carth in KOTOR, Kaiden in Mass Effect).

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

My uncle works at Bethesda and he says the game is really good fwiw

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Boob Cop posted:

I'm gonna make a Sharlin class warcruiser

On a completely unrelated subject have they put nukes in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Flowing Thot posted:

Who asked for that?