Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
If Onstad ever wants to write a Cormac McCarthy-style novel about Nice Pete I wouldn't be upset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Larry Cum Free posted:

If Onstad ever wants to write a Cormac McCarthy-style novel about Nice Pete I wouldn't be upset
I believe that Onstad is too attached to capitalization and punctuation to do "the full McCarthy."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
1 2 3 4 5 SO BE IT

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
To reiterate, seeing Teodor naked will always make me laugh. What he is doing on Nice Pete's keyboard is another matter.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

moot the hopple posted:

To reiterate, seeing Teodor naked will always make me laugh. What he is doing on Nice Pete's keyboard is another matter.

You're hung like a cranberry, and it bugs me.

:siren: NEW STRIP :siren:

road triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

I like how Ray got in the back seat. It’s a two door car, so it’s not because the suitcase was in the front. He had to move it to fold the seat forward.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I mean, I would not want to ride shotgun with Pat.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Perhaps Ray's been getting a lot of Ubers lately due to some difficulties he has been having.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Why must your fear of suppository medicine always be the uninvited third member of every conversation we have?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Lawnmowers and birthday cakes, Ray. Goddamn.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
I am excited for the chance to get to know Ramathustra Ron

Also gonna guess that Ray's purely Id-driven personality will make him, to Pat's consternation, the king of shroom therapy and score that Hut of Senses invite

EndOfTheWorld fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 25, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I am excited for the chance to get to know Ramathustra Ron

Altimeter Tim found a new hustle.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Huh, I wonder when Pat got Fluffy Whipped Cream EcoChoices Soy Liquid hair

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
For that matter, when did Pat break up with Rod?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

moot the hopple posted:

It's mentioned in the new cookbook, so I presume sometime off-camera during the Hiatus Times

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A real feel-good story on the Patreon today.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

moot the hopple posted:

They did? Ahhhh man they were such a good couple! :smith:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Pat breaking up with Rod over the hiatus breaks my heart. That cute date they went on in the print-only rarities is lost forever now.. :smith:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Jerusalem posted:

They did? Ahhhh man they were such a good couple! :smith:

no they weren’t, they were horrible for each other

if there’s one trope I’d love to see die in general, it’s the “actually, opposites DO attract!” one where two people with completely antithetical worldviews/personalities/standards of living/etc are forced by plot to make a relationship work because it’s a cute idea to the writer, or because it’s a cheap way to generate story conflicts—or worse, because “they resolve their differences in the bedroom”, etc

Edit: to clarify, I don’t think that like the central conceit of “Good Omens” is necessarily that trope, or that you can’t write a good “opposites attract” dynamic.

But Pat and Rod never seemed right for each other, they were always shown having conflict and belittling each other, and it wouldn’t surprise me if marriage wasn’t Onstad’s original idea for where they’d end up.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 27, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Way I see it yeah Rod could probably do better but he also softened the worst of Pat's very sharp and rough edges, so it would be nice if they eventually got back together

Also admittedly I haven't read any of the new text bits but I've noticed in the comic proper we haven't really gotten any mention of Molly and that does mildly concern me

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

we’ll always have rod and pat’s little vignette about finding the perfect waiter

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

drrockso20 posted:

Also admittedly I haven't read any of the new text bits but I've noticed in the comic proper we haven't really gotten any mention of Molly and that does mildly concern me

I vaguely recall her getting mentioned somewhere a few weeks ago in one of those text bits but yeah she hasn't been in one of the strips yet.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

drrockso20 posted:

Way I see it yeah Rod could probably do better but he also softened the worst of Pat's very sharp and rough edges, so it would be nice if they eventually got back together

She's mentioned in the most recent side-post thing, where beef goes to the bodega.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The bodega story is an old story from the assetbar archive that's been re-releasing. I swear though there was a more current time story where Molly was mentioned offhandedly somewhere.

EDIT: found it, it was actually in the description of the Patreon post for Lyle's and Philippe's Shangri-La interview:

"Beef is nowhere near getting done documenting the crew's personal visions of heaven, but he thinks he is going to take a breather on this subject for a few and switch to the topics of grut-buggin' (aka "learning to repair his own drat wore-up pant-knees on the sewing machine," with guidance from Molly) and dimple-simpin' (learning to wear a daily sunscreen as an adult male, also thanks to Molly, because he was freaking out over his nose seeming crinkly)."

So at least they're still together :unsmith:

moot the hopple fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 27, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I hope with Onstad's own romantic troubles smoothing out we can enter a new era for Molly and Beef.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
No longer must she go shop for bitch supplies

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Youremother posted:

I hope with Onstad's own romantic troubles smoothing out we can enter a new era for Molly and Beef.

New Beef would go to couples therapy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

panko posted:

we’ll always have rod and pat’s little vignette about finding the perfect waiter

I always got the sense from the strips, that blog and another that showcased a bit of their home life (before Ray showed up and ended up having a dance-off then hanging out with Rod for the rest of the night when Pat's tapped out) that Pat's worst performative assholery would get immediately skewered by Rod and instead of doubling down in anger about it Pat would actually showcase a bit more of his human (well, cat) side and mellow out some. I liked it, if only for it showing that Pat was a person who could love and be loved and not just a (hilarious) one-dimensional piece of poo poo.

But then I haven't read any of the new Patreon stuff so I don't know what has also developed since then! I'm just glad it's still going and there'll be a good chunk for me to eventually get to read.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mutantIke posted:

No longer must she go shop for bitch supplies
to this day I refer to every place my wife shops as "the bead store" and she does the same to me

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jerusalem posted:

I always got the sense from the strips, that blog and another that showcased a bit of their home life (before Ray showed up and ended up having a dance-off then hanging out with Rod for the rest of the night when Pat's tapped out) that Pat's worst performative assholery would get immediately skewered by Rod and instead of doubling down in anger about it Pat would actually showcase a bit more of his human (well, cat) side and mellow out some. I liked it, if only for it showing that Pat was a person who could love and be loved and not just a (hilarious) one-dimensional piece of poo poo.

But then I haven't read any of the new Patreon stuff so I don't know what has also developed since then! I'm just glad it's still going and there'll be a good chunk for me to eventually get to read.

I've always figured the comic and blogs mostly show us Pat at his worst because that's what's funniest and that most of the time Pat is only slightly obnoxious, makes everyone willing to tolerate his shenanigans more understandable if what we usually see is the occasional exceptional moment rather than how he is all the time

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
To be fair, Pat is really only a jerk to telemarketers, bad drivers, non vegans, his anger support group, his friends, his father, his loved ones, his

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

to this day I refer to every place my wife shops as "the bead store" and she does the same to me

My favorite part of that strip is that it was published several months before the release of Southland Tales, meaning Wallace Shawn was possibly ears deep in Bai Ling's cleavage just giggling his head off.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

moot the hopple posted:

To be fair, Pat is really only a jerk to telemarketers, bad drivers, non vegans, his anger support group, his friends, his father, his loved ones, his

and barbers

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

mutantIke posted:

My favorite part of that strip is that it was published several months before the release of Southland Tales, meaning Wallace Shawn was possibly ears deep in Bai Ling's cleavage just giggling his head off.

Wallace Shawn is by all accounts a horny little gremlin

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

morestuff posted:

Wallace Shawn is by all accounts a horny little gremlin

that's my nagus!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
whatever else pat did, he was there at the hospital when ray thought he was gonna die, in person, being vaguely supportive within his capacities

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Even pat knows a Magreaux Dog isn't the time for all that, I mean the thing tried to walk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
people forget, Pat’s been friends with Ray + Beef since small times, even if he is an rear end and fancies himself a world-style hero

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Deathlove posted:

New Beef would go to couples therapy

Finally, we can see how fat his buns get when he chooses to improve his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Whenever I do a reread it's always a bit weird how Pat is introduced in the dirtiest dudes in town bit. Also funny how Beef is identified as being not Ray and not Pat. I remember expecting Pat to have a much bigger role.