Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Season 3 is imo the best season so you're in for a treat with that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
Frank was getting enough money from the Greeks to pay for a high profile political lobbyist, on top of all the cash he was throwing around for church windows and to leave in envelopes behind bar counters. The idea that he was letting a few containers go missing doesn't pass any smell test, he was getting a lot of money so it clearly was more than just minor theft.

His self righteous anger at Beadie was always bullshit, as if how dare they be asking questions like that when the fact was that he was knee deep in the very dirt that led to those girls dying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My take on Frank is that he's just as caught up in the only ways to make money in a city like Baltimore as the corner boys, the cops, the politicians or anyone else. The whole show is about the system and the people it chews up and spits out.

No one is innocent and everyone is paralyzed of their free will or sense of dignity no matter how altruistic they are or how much of a code they might proclaim to have. Everyone is compromised to one degree or another and all of them bend rules, look the other way or otherwise rationalize the things they do because there are limits to the amount of power most of them have and all of them need fuckng money.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1677331604002177026

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Good for him for walking the walk, he's certainly speaking with some authority having seen how utterly pointless a lot of this "justice" can be.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Trying not to expose myself too hard but I've been in jury duty recently and every single member of a drug gang had the same nicknames as characters from The Wire which made it just a little more exciting to me

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

Trying not to expose myself too hard but I've been in jury duty recently and every single member of a drug gang had the same nicknames as characters from The Wire which made it just a little more exciting to me

I really hope one was Peanut

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Count Roland posted:

I really hope one was Peanut
There was absolutely a Peanut. That was the first nickname we knew of, then we learned the main guy called himself Stringer and I lost it. Esp because they were coming down all this way from the tri-state area to sell drugs

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

BiggerBoat posted:

My take on Frank is that he's just as caught up in the only ways to make money in a city like Baltimore as the corner boys, the cops, the politicians or anyone else. The whole show is about the system and the people it chews up and spits out.

No one is innocent and everyone is paralyzed of their free will or sense of dignity no matter how altruistic they are or how much of a code they might proclaim to have. Everyone is compromised to one degree or another and all of them bend rules, look the other way or otherwise rationalize the things they do because there are limits to the amount of power most of them have and all of them need fuckng money.

I don't think it's about the money with Frank. He wants to preserve the status quo, where dockworkers make enough to buy property in Locust Point and raise a family, passing down wealth to their kids. He sees the tide turning against him and his community and is willing to take a desperate gamble to protect them. Unfortunately, he's up against global capitalism, and no amount of cash will help him win that fight.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's interesting that he said the Wire wasn't purposed as entertainment.

Imo one of the reasons the Wire is so damned good is that even at its base level it is a highly entertaining show. You can watch it for the deep social commentary and it excels at that but even if you just watch it to be entertained it totally rules.

Like all great art it scratches a bunch of different itches for me. It's entertaining. It's truthful. It's funny. It can make you sad.

That said, I hope his letter works and as usual he's exceptionally eloquent in getting his point (which I agree with) across.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 9, 2023

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Thanks to the Wire, I'm always questioning the usage of "evacuate." In reading a rock climbing article... "He was then evacuated to the trailhead and hospital." Probably would have said something similar but I don't know if the Sun Journal would approve.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Gus Haynes taught me to always check whether or not I'm beginning consecutive paragraphs with gerunds. The most important teacher I ever had.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

*quickly looking up "gerund"* yeah, me too

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status/1684320411821940737

also, the dealer who supplied Michael K. Williams with the fatal dose got 30 months in prison despite David's letter

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
In a shocking twist it turns out David Simon actually has zero influence or power.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Orange Devil posted:

In a shocking twist it turns out David Simon actually has zero influence or power.suction.

Ftfy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I started watching Patriot finally after a bunch of you recommended it and I can't stop thinking of this SNL sketch whenever I watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDsRXhtHW9Q

I'm liking it a lot though, very keystone blackops

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Yeah, cool. Thanks, God. You totally made sure the right guy in that sketch gets to live to old age.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I started watching Patriot finally after a bunch of you recommended it and I can't stop thinking of this SNL sketch whenever I watch it

Haha, yeah! For those that haven’t seen it this is the scene in Patriot:

https://youtu.be/G7Do2tlYLhs?si=Basdi-0ec5a-aHcd

e: If I’m not mistaken, Kurtwood Smith wrote all that himself

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm liking it a lot though, very keystone blackops

Phil Hartman is perfect for this (and maybe everything)

https://youtu.be/7jYPp9w-0Uk?si=VUZeSFJ_gispVJcg

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Tony Phillips posted:

Yeah, cool. Thanks, God. You totally made sure the right guy in that sketch gets to live to old age.

:lol:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My daughter finally got around to streaming this.

"THEY SHOT WALLACE! HOW COULD THEY? THEY WERE HIS FRIENDS!"

I did let her know that season 2 will require a couple of watches to get everything.

She's a paraprofessional teacher working with autistic kids, and I warned her about season 4.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not gonna turn this into the Patriot thread I promise, I just hadn’t heard anyone talk about the show outside of this thread and I liked it a lot. I can see what you mean about season 2 being a little up it’s own rear end in a way season 1 wasn’t, it had a real dreamlike quality, but it wasn’t too cloying imo, still a really strong season of TV.

I can’t tell how much they knew they weren’t getting a third season though, it feels like a lot of characters still had loose ends. It worked well as a finale for John at least though i thought.

Other random thoughts; the resolution to the Steven Tchoo arc in season 1 is maybe one of the darkest jokes I’ve ever seen, but gently caress me if it didn’t work. Hearing Sure Shot as the S2 theme was a trip too, I was a huge beastie boys fan when I was younger and Ill Communication is one of my all time favorite albums, I did not expect to see it be so heavily represented. I also liked how the supporting characters had surprising depth; like you think you know what Dennis’ deal is as soon as you meet him, and you aren’t wrong exactly, but there’s more in there too. Just really well done across the board.

Anyway, watch Patriot on Amazon prime if you haven’t, im glad it got mentioned here or I’d have probably missed it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It needs another season.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I've been pretty slow about watching season 3 but lol McNulty is going to fall in love with Greggs because he's a dumb self-destructive horndog isn't he

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tampa Bae posted:

I've been pretty slow about watching season 3 but lol McNulty is going to fall in love with Greggs because he's a dumb self-destructive horndog isn't he

weirdly, actually nah. He knows she's gay and he's cool with it

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Barry Foster posted:

weirdly, actually nah. He knows she's gay and he's cool with it

But he still tries to gently caress her. Obviously.

It’s just a one-off flier though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

But he still tries to gently caress her. Obviously.

It’s just a one-off flier though.

I have no memory of that, so I guess I have no choice but to rewatch the whole series again.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Diabolik900 posted:

I have no memory of that

Neither does McNulty, probably

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

I have no memory of that, so I guess I have no choice but to rewatch the whole series again.

It’s somewhere in the 3rd (I think) season where they’re drunk in a hotel room together. McNulty is explaining the mechanics of how he and Bunk cover for each other sleeping around, and he makes a pass at her.

Because he’s Jimmy McNulty, of course he does. He tries to gently caress the furniture when no one’s looking.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I know it's time for my bi-annual rewatch when I accidentally lose a whole day watching random Wire clips on youtube

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
3rd season tracking the Bernard and Squeak buying the burner phones, after he makes an rear end of himself to the local police.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

“I can’t wait to go to jail.”

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Syrian Lannister posted:

3rd season tracking the Bernard and Squeak buying the burner phones, after he makes an rear end of himself to the local police.

Lol is that when he assumes the local cop is racist and tries to play into it, but then it turns out he has a black wife?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

So far the cops take turns being the dumbest or most unlikable in the show except for Lester who even early on said "I'm too old for these politics, come to me if you want answers" and still remains the least bad cop in the series so far on Season 3, episode 7.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Tampa Bae posted:

So far the cops take turns being the dumbest or most unlikable in the show except for Lester who even early on said "I'm too old for these politics, come to me if you want answers" and still remains the least bad cop in the series so far on Season 3, episode 7.

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahaha.

Hahaha.

But also still kind of yes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol is that when he assumes the local cop is racist and tries to play into it, but then it turns out he has a black wife?

"Your partner? Bit of an rear end in a top hat."

"....really?"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yeah and then really weirdly makes a joke like "Sikh and you shall find" to an obviously Sikh convenience store worker who looks uncomfortable. McNulty was really losing it on that trip.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s somewhere in the 3rd (I think) season where they’re drunk in a hotel room together. McNulty is explaining the mechanics of how he and Bunk cover for each other sleeping around, and he makes a pass at her.

Because he’s Jimmy McNulty, of course he does. He tries to gently caress the furniture when no one’s looking.

Could have been worse.

He could have murdered her and tied a ribbon around her finger.

"Now we have a serial murderer cop killer on our hands! Give us money!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

“I can’t wait to go to jail.”

"I want a Shrek Slurpee Bernard! And some Krispee Kreme!"