Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Yeah I do think that there’s stuff in Valhalla that hasn’t aged well but I don’t think we’re supposed to sympathise with Heimdall. He’s a blowhard and coward in general and in the previous story he was pretty evidently a bigoted jackass about Tyr’s background compared to Thor and the kids’ good hearted open mindedness (with some ribbing)

Loki’s a dick and orchestrated all this but Heimdall’s reaction is worse. That’s even putting aside the obvious situation where the most beautiful goddess of them all actually does seem to like him well enough and wants to sleep with him… and his puritanism makes him turn and run away from a good thing. It’s a pretty well-worn old fashioned sex comedy reversal but Heimdall’s an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I wouldn't go quite so far; I don't think you're meant to sympathize with Heimdall for blowing an incredibly obvious layup and somehow making it out to be the woman's fault, that poo poo was always pathetic. We just had a book of Thor being a decent person below all his various foibles, where Heimdall textually served to contrast him by being a racist piece of poo poo. I think at this point it's uncharitable to assume Heimdall's sexism is meant to be treated with any more respect than his racism.
Yeah, my read is also that we're not meant to sympathize with Heimdall here. He's being a poo poo, as is Loki - only Freyja seems blameless in this particular situation.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*rips off mask* Why, it was Old Man Wizard Master all along!!

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
The Djinn, by 深海巨狗 (read left to right)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Chapter 55

Chapter 56

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, Mr. Spook kicked the intruder right in his lens.

The boss fight has been won.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Those not-worms look sickly

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Wumuu is blasted by the concentrated sunlight and begins burning and cracking! In his zeal to destroy Wumuu, King leaps into the air to deliver the killing blow! Unfortunately he leaps right in front of all the sunlight! Wumuu has a fraction of a second's opening, and he takes immediate advantage, and shreds King with a point-blank Mr. Sandman!

Read right to left:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

King lookin almost demonic in that shadow silhouette panel, so cool...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

wumuu being a real goon about natural light

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yes son HLEL YES

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Yes, excellent. This pleases me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:yeshaha:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Register Cat

It’s common practice at convenience stores and fast food stores and the like to have someone in charge witness when a cashier breaks a large bill. (Or at least it used to be, I see it pretty rarely come to think of it - I think it might be one of those things that they did more fastidiously in the past and has stuck around as a pop-culture trope more than anything.)

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Wonderful

The Accidental Space Spy

Hempuli posted:

492 - It’s about Lumbercoin
493 - Nice axe
494 - Because of the affair
495 - HEEELP!
496 - Thank you ever so much
497 - Circumstances that fail at being ideal

498 - A persuasive case

499 - I’ll take that

500 :toot: - Think of your country

Alien sex: 2
Alien species seen: 122
:biotruths:: 31
Talking character deaths: 55
Deaths overall: 89+

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

:perfect:

e: found an amazing rug someone's making that's inspired by False Knees

https://twitter.com/kindofstrange/status/1695910484539482608

Dieting Hippo has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Aug 27, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

perfect.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Video Game Cheats n' Beatums

And we're caught up to where KC's at with the comic's reposting

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

We Are Indeed a Knitting Circle

I've been worried about posting this one b/c the images are so freaking huge, are they readable for everybody?

fritz has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Aug 28, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

fritz posted:

I've been worried about posting this one b/c the images are so freaking huge, are they readable for everybody?

Yeah, the lettering is big and thick enough that it still reads ok to me, unlike a lot of the comics that get blurred out.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fritz posted:

they all seem pretty moderately sized to me? mostly 674x1024, which is considerably smaller than many other comics on here.

imo bigger is better than smaller, just timg em. they'll expand to whatever your frame size is, whereas if they're too small you don't have options and gotta lean in.

for example my browser window is only a portion of my screen, and full-sizing this comic only fills maybe 2/3 of it. could be bigger!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Raluek posted:

for example my browser window is only a portion of my screen, and full-sizing this comic only fills maybe 2/3 of it. could be bigger!
No problem!

fritz posted:

We Are Indeed a Knitting Circle

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

perfect :tipshat:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah these are much better at huge res, what a pretty comic, I love the style. Is that just markers or is there more going on there?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I'd been putting the "h" at the end of the filename because someone in the other thread asked me to do so when I first started posting there, but I don't actually know what it does. It seems like maybe I shouldn't do that for this one?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

fritz posted:

I'd been putting the "h" at the end of the filename because someone in the other thread asked me to do so when I first started posting there, but I don't actually know what it does. It seems like maybe I shouldn't do that for this one?

Yeah, it's not necessary. On imgur, you can append an m, l, or h to an image to set it to certain sizes, I don't know what they are off the top of my head. Don't add anything to post it full size. As long as you're timging it shouldn't matter though.

e.g: https://i.imgur.com/XzMYp3dm.jpg

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Gotcha. Thanks!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah, it's not necessary. On imgur, you can append an m, l, or h to an image to set it to certain sizes, I don't know what they are off the top of my head. Don't add anything to post it full size. As long as you're timging it shouldn't matter though.

e.g: https://i.imgur.com/XzMYp3dm.jpg

there's also t(humbnail) and s(mall) below m(edium), but yeah h works for most things. imo for comics either post using img with h, or timg with no suffix. the latter works for everyone unless they are bandwidth constrained (56k no !!!)

kind of amusing that "huge" size is 1024x768 though. what year is it?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah that continues to get funnier every year

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Raluek posted:

there's also t(humbnail) and s(mall) below m(edium), but yeah h works for most things. imo for comics either post using img with h, or timg with no suffix. the latter works for everyone unless they are bandwidth constrained (56k no !!!)

kind of amusing that "huge" size is 1024x768 though. what year is it?
It wasn't just bandwidth, but people reading on old budget phones with little ram, like maybe even just two or three years ago. I couldn't read the five acres thread back then because the glut of full size pictures would make the app crash. Zero problems on the new phone though. Maybe the rest of the world has mostly caught up as well.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Last time in Vigils for Friends:

Today: a satisfying conclusion for everyone!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ZHUANGZI IN THE BRAMBLES

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

ONLY ONE CONFUCIAN IN LU

kinda extreme tbh, wtf zhuangzi

BAILI XI RAISES OXEN

THE GENUINE PAINTER

The first ever influencer who got big by being antisocial with nothing to prove

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Lounge ghosts
Look how relaxed they are

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This isnt even Val's worst meeting with Aleta lmao. :3

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Synthbuttrange posted:

This isnt even Val's worst meeting with Aleta lmao. :3

Does she later dye her hair red and take a fish to the forehead?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ZHUANGZI SPEAKS 庄子说

ONLY ONE CONFUCIAN IN LU

kinda extreme tbh, wtf zhuangzi

I think I posted a little bit of it before, but this story gets a mention in Larry Gonick's Cartoon History of the Universe.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance chapter 20.5: company retreat edition

And that's the last of the translated Shinozaki we have. Here are the cover pages for that volume though, they're pretty good:

The little shot of Kusunoki and Asashimo make me hope the kid will be a good influence on her. We'll have to see how that turns out, though.

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 9: Of Casting Stones

A little Hirai backstory. Looks like he was a soldier, probably in the Russo-Japanese war? A bugle's not exactly the same as a trumpet, but I guess he's had time to learn.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

shinozaki rocks, top comic along with takako

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla