Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm intrigued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsnFLCeMIsk

I'm totally okay with this new iteration on killer animal films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuz0RgViws4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Slotherhouse looks fun :3: I'll check out both

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Mildly clever title aside, Slotherhouse gives me "trying to deliberately make a so-bad-it's-good b-movie" vibes, which never, ever works. It's got to be someone trying and failing. I'm curious to hear the reviews in this thread to see what people think, of course.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The only movie I've seen that I can recall that does a decent job with the "so bad it's good" vibe that doesn't make me just want to watch an actual B-movie is Dude Bro Party Massacre III mostly because that's more of a rapid-fire joke-a-minute thing with some actual gnarly kills. The last scene of VelociPastor was okay, but I'm also too big of a fan of Miami Connection to appreciate anything that they did because it just made me want to rewatch Miami Connection.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I thought Zombeavers would be a train wreck but it's actually pretty good and goes to some wild places

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Miami Connection is legit kinda amazing. Like yes it's terrible and insane but it's also pretty fun and often gnarly and it's wild how much they were able to do based entirely on the goodwill the people of Orlando had for YK Kim.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Miami Connection is legit kinda amazing. Like yes it's terrible and insane but it's also pretty fun and often gnarly and it's wild how much they were able to do based entirely on the goodwill the people of Orlando had for YK Kim.

Facts, it's my favorite bad movie ever because it actually kicks rear end and is hilarious in all the right ways. The VelociPastor idly quoting it ironically and copying beats from it could never :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, and the music is legit slaps. It's a ton of fun, is consistently compelling, the ninja action is dope, and even the oft-mocked scenes are wonderfully earnest. So earnest that modern sensibilities just don't know what to do with them because there's not an ounce of irony to them.

I hate that it's only presented as "so bad it's good" when it's just a cool fuckin movie made by a true outsider artist.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My favorite part is that everyone involved was happy to help Kim out because he was just so goddamn beloved by everyone in Orlando, just the nicest dude on earth even if he looks like ET.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its 10AM in the morning and I'm watching Meg 2 (Obviously)

ABWH (Always be watching horror)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I started The Black Cat at around 10am today. Every Sunday should be breakfast with Fulci.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

ABWH (Always be watching horror in August and September so that I get burned out by October

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Start in August, burn out by mid-November. You've gotta respect the post-Halloween horror hangover.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

After seeing someone say Cobweb is "like the highest budget Tales from the Crypt episode you've ever seen", I'm excited for it coming out over here this week.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The trick is to stop watching horror in September. Then restart in Oct.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

What's something that's very spooky, but also a bit slow and melancholy? That just lets you soak in that spooky atmosphere. Ideally pre-90s.

Mario Bava's Kill Baby Kill (Operazione Paura)

quote:

A Carpathian village is haunted by the ghost of a murderous little girl, prompting a coroner and a medical student to uncover her secrets while a witch attempts to protect the villagers.

Don't know about VERY SPOOKY but drat it's atmosphere is top notch imo

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Speaking of Bava, Black Sunday is also a great movie if you're looking for good gothic atmosphere. Foggy castles, graveyards, and woods abound.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Another sweaty movie suggestion:

Runaway train (1985)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Stop... watching horror? :confused:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

Speaking of Bava, Black Sunday is also a great movie if you're looking for good gothic atmosphere. Foggy castles, graveyards, and woods abound.

Hell yeah a Barbara Steele performance for the ages

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Crescent Wrench posted:

It's like training for a eating contest. You don't eat any huge meals beforehand then you're able to consume consume consume

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

It's like training for a eating contest. You don't eat any huge meals beforehand then you're able to consume consume consume

Counterpoint - Eat as much as you humanly can to stretch your stomach every day

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason posted:

Hollismason posted:

????

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh no, they've gotten to Hollis!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I have my methods for completing the Challenge and its to not watch horror in September

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s why I don’t do challenges. Turns movie watching into work

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

CelticPredator posted:

That’s why I don’t do challenges. Turns movie watching into work

Horror movies are my job man.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Hollismason posted:

we also watched Meg 2 at 10am yesterday

man what a disappointment tho; way too much action movie humans vs humans crap

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Nikumatic posted:

we also watched Meg 2 at 10am yesterday

man what a disappointment tho; way too much action movie humans vs humans crap

Yeah I was a little let down by that. The Megs don't really show up until like the back half of the movie. When they do its pretty good as they swim around and devour people. The first half is kind of a slog. I don't give a poo poo about any of these people give me my shark action. Overall not as good as the first film but perfectly servicable film.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Should’ve watched Orca instead

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I watched a half hour of the Meg 1 again to have something on and it was such garbage. Turned it off and put on deep blue sea

gently caress the Meg movies. I hate those bland weird China co productions

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Hollismason posted:

Got this queued up for later this afternoon. I'm worried based on the trailer that they don't go nearly as wild with additional monsters as I feel like they really need to. I should probably just wait to catch it on TNT at a hotel at some point for the optimal viewing experience but I can't resist a shark movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Goddamn The Lady in White loving slaps.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BrownPepper posted:

Got this queued up for later this afternoon. I'm worried based on the trailer that they don't go nearly as wild with additional monsters as I feel like they really need to. I should probably just wait to catch it on TNT at a hotel at some point for the optimal viewing experience but I can't resist a shark movie.

I mean its a solid B movie. I wasn't like upset by it or anything. I didn't think it was as good as the first one but if you want a movie where giant sharks eat people and Jason Statham fights giant sharks then well you are going to get that.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Crescent Wrench posted:

I...yeah...I can't wrap my mind around the not watch horror thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I will probably be abstaining from horror between the end of Bracketology and start of October. It’s my usual routine. I’m a bit different obviously because of Bracketology so it gives me a period to relax and chill and rest. But it also is abstaining for horror so that I save movies for October and hopefully minimize the burnout I usually feel half way through October.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's not that I stop watching horror after mid-November, it's that I start watching other genres as well. August 1st through Thanksgiving is spookytime-only.

e: 2023 is apparently the year I decide that Are You Afraid of the Dark is no longer too scary for me, because I was SO scared of it when I was 9. I am a big brave boy today because the intro didn't even scare me this time around (okay maybe actually a bit that poo poo is eerie).

I loved Goosebumps as a kid, but the difference between "okay for a 9 year old" and "okay for a 12 year old" is quite significant. I revisited Goosebumps a couple years ago, and this definitely is a little more intese with the tone and scares. Plus, there's, like, teenagers trying to make out and stuff, which was probably as scary to me as any of the horror stuff at the time.

The teens in the Midnight Society still FEEL older than me, though, and I am a 36 year old man.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 27, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Those kids were probably like 5+ years older than you.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Ghastly Grinner is still scary as poo poo I don't care how old you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Went over to a friend's house and they shoved the DVD for ANTRUM in my hands and said "just watch it," so I'm gonna go do exactly that. Will report back to the thread with my findings.