Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I just can't squeak past the 21-minute wave. No matter which overall strategy or character I try. I suppose I'm just not powered up enough to stay ahead of the curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My best early runs always came on nap 2 for what it's worth. Very good layout for grinding a high level since you can run one way to kill enemies and beeline for items, then run the other to generate more enemies as you collect the gems from the guys you killed.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Upsidads posted:

The stardew dev seems like a good person

This is my vote, dude's made "set for multiple lifetimes" amounts of money off SV and could spend the rest of his life never touching a computer again but he's still making rad updates to the game and giving them away for free

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Star posted:

Is this valid also for Gettysburg then?

oooo you know what i am now not sure if Gettysburg has them snap to defensive positions like Civil War does. you may have to manually position them. however yeah they otherwise operate the same. it takes moment for them to 'entrench' but then they attack more 'tenaciously' according to the game. i think they become more accurate.

importantly, they hold their defensive position and wont retreat unless killed or morale is entirely destroyed. that way you can set up defensive lines and leave them while looking at other parts of the map and you dont have to worry about them getting out of position

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
he (ConcernedApe, of Stardew Valley fame) is also working on another game where you produce and sell chocolate in a haunted mansion, assisted by your ghost housemates and using ingredients sourced from an attic Narnia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASlkM-mf1zk

I dunno how universal the appeal of that is, but it is literally the single greatest concept of which I have ever heard

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Pendragon posted:

In Vampire Survivor I just finished a game where I became a garlic-spewing halitosis god with a magic machine gun surrounded by four spinning bibles and a bird firing anime lasers.

GOTY

Mr.Acula posted:

Only four bibles? :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmPBUOY3i2E

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

mdemone posted:

I just can't squeak past the 21-minute wave. No matter which overall strategy or character I try. I suppose I'm just not powered up enough to stay ahead of the curve.

My victories have come from eevolving daggers and whips. Basically, a beefier version of a weapon appears in a chest if you max it out and have an additional weapon it combos with

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I am quite enjoying watching people get enamored with VS, it happens on every platform it's released on

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Morpheus posted:

I am quite enjoying watching people get enamored with VS, it happens on every platform it's released on

I kept thinking about it in that semi-unconscious state right before you go to sleep, when your brain just starts being freestyle

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Srice posted:

If the guy no longer believes in that poo poo, that's good. Though if he's now saying that at the time it was written it was meant to be satirical, well, I don't believe him! And that's okay, people can change.
Yeah, look, if you're going to condemn someone like Peterson in your media, you don't want to do it in a subtle, nuanced way that's subject to interpretation. Quite the opposite: you want to be blunt and clear about it. Otherwise, the best case scenario is that people are confused about the reference and ask you to clarify your stance; while the regrettable one is that hateful people hear your reference as a dog-whistle that you're allied in hate.

I mean, as far as I can tell the Sabotage guys are inclusive and not hateful. But this Peterson thing keeps coming up, and if they just admitted that it was probably not-the-best to put such a reference in their game then people would be over it by now.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Frictional games -amnesia, soma are cool and came to my college from Finland

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

mdemone posted:

I was hitting the same wall. I was going heavy projectiles and did well until I lost the damage race. My victory literally came from looking at the unlock screen, seeing that I hadn’t reached the garlic and bible achievements, and going, “gently caress it, I’ll unlock those next time.”

Try some weapon you haven’t tried before. Then concentrate on maxing one at a time (at least best you can based on what the RNG gods give you). A single level 8 weapon is much better than four level 4s.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s a lot easier (and more fun imo) to farm the library for money and unlocks in the early game. I unlocked the knife guy and the duplicator and then studied in the library for hours.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

American McGay posted:

It’s a lot easier (and more fun imo) to farm the library for money and unlocks in the early game. I unlocked the knife guy and the duplicator and then studied in the library for hours.

....wait, what?

I thought I was supposed to beat the loving mad forest or whatever before moving on

I've unlocked it but I thought it wasn't gonna be good for me....

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I can't remember what reward you get for clearing the forest but it's nowhere near the rewards you can get for hitting easy level 100s in the library.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pendragon posted:

I had everything as upgraded as it could get. Should I assume I can only evolve so many items on a playthrough?

Edit: oh right, the dozens of ways to increase projectile counts. My count was too small don’t judge :(

Black

You can evolve 6 weapons at once and there’s even an unlock tied to it. It requires picking and choosing very carefully and making sure every weapon has the accessory to go with it

Unfortunately some of my favorite weapons I don’t have the evolve item for yet

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The Ninth Layer posted:

I can't remember what reward you get for clearing the forest but it's nowhere near the rewards you can get for hitting easy level 100s in the library.

Yeah I just easily cracked a personal best time in the library with knife man and evolved knife

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I appreciate VS having a set time limit. It's the fastest way to kill 30 minutes when I'm on the train or stuck waiting around.

:ghost: :pcgaming: :drac:
pew pew pew!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
if game kitchen would be so kind to update blasphemous 2 so the penitent ones helmet donks on the ladders as he slides down them it would be great

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Another trick for VS is you can only collect 6 weapons/accessories from random drops, but any accessories you collect from the stage will be added, so when rolling accessories you're better off not picking ones already on the stage, then once you get your six you can collect those stage accessories and upgrade them like normal.

Granted this works much better once you unlock the arcana that brings all stage items to you every two minutes, but this also gives you some wiggle room in choosing weapons you may want to evolve.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Some VS tips (or at least what works for me):

- usually I only grab 3-4 weapons to start and focus on upgrading those and the passives until a weapon is maxed out or nearly there (or the RNG gives me no choice)

- if something is close to being its max level (like 1 off ) I prioritize it to get it out of the upgrade pool

- doing the above helps manage what upgrades you're getting so you can get some maxed weapons quicker

- luck helps with this since it can give you a 4th choice when it's high enough

- learn the evolutions for the weapons (there's a bonus level called moonglow you unlock later that can help with this)

- sometimes when you have a weapon that just annihilates everything you can still get hurt by walking into enemies because you might move faster than your aura of death can kill so be wary of this

There's probably more optimal strategies but generally this is what gets me wins. There's also some strategy stuff outside of what you do when playing a level but I'll leave that for you all to discover.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mega64 posted:

Another trick for VS is you can only collect 6 weapons/accessories from random drops, but any accessories you collect from the stage will be added, so when rolling accessories you're better off not picking ones already on the stage, then once you get your six you can collect those stage accessories and upgrade them like normal.

Granted this works much better once you unlock the arcana that brings all stage items to you every two minutes, but this also gives you some wiggle room in choosing weapons you may want to evolve.

This is the most important tip, FYI. Never, ever, ever choose a weapon that's already available in the stage you're in from the level-up list. And then only go and physically pick up those stage weapons after you're full.

You'll be unstoppable. Like... more unstoppable.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Why does Curse of the Golden Idol not save your progress?

E: Nintendo doesn’t do refunds, correct? This is inexcusable. It’s been a known bug since launch that was never fixed.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Tayter Swift posted:

E: Nintendo doesn’t do refunds, correct? This is inexcusable. It’s been a known bug since launch that was never fixed.

You've discovered the curse

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mega64 posted:

I juuust unlocked arcana and goddamn there’s a lot of cool things in there so far. Am I gonna have to get every character to 50

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

People have had success contacting Nintendo for refund on a digital purchase but there is a limit (1 or 2?). I've been tempted to get a refund for Mary Skelter since I heard it was a dungeon crawler like Etrian Odyssey and didn't know what I was getting into. I did get it on sale though and feel like I should save my refund in case I get a $60 game that sucks at some point.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

If I don’t like a game I simply resell it, physical stays winning

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I simply don't buy bad games, here on the perfect console

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

If I don’t like a game I simply resell it, physical stays winning

I'm so pro-digital, but even I have to admit that sometimes it sucks. A few years ago, my son asked for Skyward Sword for Christmas. Bought it, full price (in :canada: its $90, after tax :negative:). He barely touched it.

The thing is, I can't blame him. Trying to get through the first part feels like such a slog, even though I'm sure it's actually only maybe ten minutes if you know what you're doing.

Turns out I'm not as much of a LoZ fan as I thought I was. I haven't even played TotK yet :shrug:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tayter Swift posted:

Sorry to hear that. We got hit by that bug at the very end of the DLC right as we were snowballing the solutions, so I "wrapped" up the game knowing we could do it/practically did it. However, it sucks. You can beat the main game in one sitting, but it does make the DLC completely unplayable.

edit: Wanted to add how disturbed I am to realize that the feathers of the Rito are fingers. Which means they have skeletons and muscles there and I don't like it. But I finished all the global phenomena! So now I'm going to collect enough shards to power my vehicles forever!

100YrsofAttitude fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 27, 2023

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm so pro-digital, but even I have to admit that sometimes it sucks. A few years ago, my son asked for Skyward Sword for Christmas. Bought it, full price (in :canada: its $90, after tax :negative:). He barely touched it.

The thing is, I can't blame him. Trying to get through the first part feels like such a slog, even though I'm sure it's actually only maybe ten minutes if you know what you're doing.

Turns out I'm not as much of a LoZ fan as I thought I was. I haven't even played TotK yet :shrug:

Lotta people seem to hate that one

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I made it like 2 hours into skyward sword and hated it. Then I tried breath of the wild and it was like falling in love all over again.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Skyward Sword is pretty widely regarded as a low point of the franchise, I wouldn’t base your opinion of the whole franchise on that one game alone

Also even as a “low point” it still has some great stuff; when it’s good it’s real good, but when it’s bad…yeah, it’s a slog

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 27, 2023

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

If you haven't been able to refund it, deleting the save file from the system menus will allow it to start saving again, at least until you run into the bug again, which appears to be completely arbitrary. As a tip you only need to solve the madlibs to progress so you don't have to solve everything if you know all the answers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Skyward Sword is pretty widely regarded as a low point of the franchise, I wouldn’t base your opinion of the whole franchise on that one game alone

Also even as a “low point” it still has some great stuff; when it’s good it’s real good, but when it’s bad…yeah, it’s a slog

I probably should have clarified; I've played to completion 1, 2 (my favourite, gently caress the haters), LttP, OoT, WW (A+), TP and the one on the DS that wasn't Spirit Tracks. And I played a bunch of BOTW, got Vah Ruta and the....bird one (?) done before just kind of dropping the game.

Maybe I'm actually done with Zelda overall but I also realize that SS is not the best one by a long shot.

Edit: Phantom Hourglass, there we go.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I probably should have clarified; I've played to completion 1, 2 (my favourite, gently caress the haters), LttP, OoT, WW (A+), TP and the one on the DS that wasn't Spirit Tracks. And I played a bunch of BOTW, got Vah Ruta and the....bird one (?) done before just kind of dropping the game.

Maybe I'm actually done with Zelda overall but I also realize that SS is not the best one by a long shot.

Edit: Phantom Hourglass, there we go.

I never got super far in BotW when it was new (beyond just roaming around forever) but I tried it again this year and went absolutely nuts on it.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I just started it a few weeks ago and it might be my favorite open-world game ever. Only not playing it right now since I've hurt my left thumb.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fuckin got to 29:57 in the dairy factory now that I've unlocked enough to understand what I'm doing.

I had thought the maps were quasi-infinite and procedurally generated.

Now I have a map and the items, let's goooooo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I just started it a few weeks ago and it might be my favorite open-world game ever. Only not playing it right now since I've hurt my left thumb.

Yeah, TotK is the better game but it genuinely has got too much to do. I like exploring the underworld since it feels more like BotW to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I sent that list of names to my friend, and he didn't get it. I've decided I need new friends.