Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So apparently there have been convoys formed in parts of rural BC to gently caress with the firefighters.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9917076/shuswap-convoy-wildfire-crews-safety-impact-bc/

They literally got everything they wanted after last year's temper tantrum; it's only logical that they will find other excuses to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ColdBlooded posted:

They literally got everything they wanted after last year's temper tantrum; it's only logical that they will find other excuses to do it again.

Did they? The various organizers still ended up in court, and they didn’t get rid of Trudeau, stupid “citizen’s rights” poo poo or whatever. Like it was bad, but the feds didn’t roll over and give in.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Arivia posted:

Did they? The various organizers still ended up in court, and they didn’t get rid of Trudeau, stupid “citizen’s rights” poo poo or whatever. Like it was bad, but the feds didn’t roll over and give in.

I mean ok, Trudeau didn't get tried for treason or whatever they were demanding but the feds and provinces all magically decided to pretend Covid was over not long after.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

They wanted attention, graft money and relative freedom from the consequences of their actions

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Well, that, and a nation that made them feel heard, and sympathized with their actual hardships; even if it was a nation of white nationalists who subsumed those hardships with conspiracy gibberish and nonsensical libertarian ravings

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

ColdBlooded posted:

I mean ok, Trudeau didn't get tried for treason or whatever they were demanding but the feds and provinces all magically decided to pretend Covid was over not long after.

For the most part (relative to the first two waves) it was, at that point most of the country had been vaccinated and we were moving into weaker strains they weren't even catering covid-tests to. Essentially it had hit a point where the roaming covid infections weren't enough to cripple a businesses work force and at that point its back to work.

Feel sick? Go home, if you test negative come back in three days despite these tests being outdated and the infection period being five days. At that point the flimsy rules kept businesses open even if 10% were infected at all times. It's a funny thought to think some truckers were the reason the pace of a virus and effectiveness of vaccines led us to removing mandates, but correlation is not causation.

I worked through the entire pandemic and by the time the convoys happened it didn't seem to make much sense as were almost over the hill anyways--given a new terrible strain wasn't looming anywhere, which at the time it wasn't on our continent anyways.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

hey come on, sometimes this nation is pretty cool, like when i screw my eyes shut real tight and scream oh canada (the jully black version) as loud as i can WHILE BLOCKING OUT LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE AND EMPTYING MY HEAD OF ALL THOUGHTS BUT PATRIOTISM. and then i come back to the real world and see a galen weston branded thing and my blood pressure skyrockets to infinity.

I mean, the whole Ram Ranch thing was cool. Sure we have some chuds, but we have even more people willing to gently caress with them in creative ways.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.

Faucet Drinker posted:

For the most part (relative to the first two waves) it was, at that point most of the country had been vaccinated and we were moving into weaker strains they weren't even catering covid-tests to. Essentially it had hit a point where the roaming covid infections weren't enough to cripple a businesses work force and at that point its back to work.

Feel sick? Go home, if you test negative come back in three days despite these tests being outdated and the infection period being five days. At that point the flimsy rules kept businesses open even if 10% were infected at all times. It's a funny thought to think some truckers were the reason the pace of a virus and effectiveness of vaccines led us to removing mandates, but correlation is not causation.

I worked through the entire pandemic and by the time the convoys happened it didn't seem to make much sense as were almost over the hill anyways--given a new terrible strain wasn't looming anywhere, which at the time it wasn't on our continent anyways.

:ironicat:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

I mean, the whole Ram Ranch thing was cool. Sure we have some chuds, but we have even more people willing to gently caress with them in creative ways.

yeah but that could be anyone. that's not specifically canada. nothing about ram ranch is maple flavoured.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Randalor posted:

Toronto's response to the Ram Ranchers is one of like 3 times I've been proud of or at least optimistic about my city in the last ten years, along with the Raptors and electing Olivia as mayor.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Arivia posted:

yeah but that could be anyone. that's not specifically canada. nothing about ram ranch is maple flavoured.

Aside from the singer?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Mercury posted:

Aside from the singer?

was he canadian? that's nice

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

TIL about Quebec Boomhauer and my world has been changed

https://x.com/lilgrapefruits/status/1652333476727881729?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Arivia posted:

was he canadian? that's nice

Doing his part to ensure CanCon standards are met in the phreedum convoy voice chats

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Is he deaf in Quebec?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

McGavin posted:

When people say "southwestern Ontario" are they talking about Kenora, Thunder Bay, or Windsor?

Fort Frances.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Faucet Drinker posted:

That's completely wrong the trucker poo poo happened right after omicron appeared (worst of the entire pandemic) and there was another huge spike in April right before mandates were lifted.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

The protests in Ottawa came after things were more relaxed, no? I distinctly remember everyone making fun of the “no more lockdowns” demands. Whether authorities should have been trying their hardest to remove restrictions is another issue, but the truckers lagged the actual restrictions by a lot in my mind. It’s weird to think how recent this was and how you’ve got me questioning it now.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I drove past a gently caress Trudeau compound today complete with prepper water barrels and huge signs (a mix of gently caress Trudeau and No Trespassing).

Also saw a house with a "BC loves Pierre" sign and I avoided soliciting there.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

yippee cahier posted:

The protests in Ottawa came after things were more relaxed, no? I distinctly remember everyone making fun of the “no more lockdowns” demands. Whether authorities should have been trying their hardest to remove restrictions is another issue, but the truckers lagged the actual restrictions by a lot in my mind. It’s weird to think how recent this was and how you’ve got me questioning it now.

No you're right. I work in municipal government and restrictions at that point had already been reduced to wearing masks indoors and stores having those plastic dividers up, and I know for a fact MB at least was already discussing easing restrictions further in the spring/summer of 2022. Didn't stop the convoy from thinking it was thanks to them being annoying dipshits though.

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

RBC posted:

That's completely wrong the trucker poo poo happened right after omicron appeared (worst of the entire pandemic) and there was another huge spike in April right before mandates were lifted.

Omicron was the last one not delta my bad on that one, but that wave and the following spike were manageable due to vaccinations, many of us who got sick in that wave experienced a far milder version due to the antibodies, the trajectory was already arcing towards the mandates being lifted.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

yippee cahier posted:

It's almost as though they were complete and total idiots instigated into quarter-assed terrorism by a steady stream of Internet-enabled politics of American right-wing petty grievance, or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

yippee cahier posted:

Particularly so in Alberta where a lot of the convoy seemed to originate. By the time it departed all the rules were already gone here.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It looks like retailers are getting ready for another wave. Here in Toronto and the surrounding areas I’ve noticed that retail workers have started wearing masks again, some places have started putting up physical barriers between checkouts, and I’ve also seen a few fresh “please stand 2 metres apart” stickers on the floor.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

yippee cahier posted:

The vaccine mandates were put in place in Ontario only just in september 2021, three months before the convoy. There was a lot of consent manufacturing going on with omicron were the media was like "welp, it's too contagious we're just gonna have to give up" and that's when things started to shift. But that was right in December and January.

In any case I don't agree with the narrative that those convoy protests were ineffective. Protests, especially really disruptive spectacles like that, are VERY effective. But it is in the government's interest to downplay the actual effects. I don't agree with the way it was executed at all, but it was one of the most disruptive if not the most disruptive protest I've seen in Canada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Theoretically, at least, the trucker protest was about vaccination mandates to cross the borders. And, to a point, I get why that was a sore point for a lot of people considering that we were spreading plague domestically very well indeed. It's not like foreign virus was somehow worse or more dangerous than our pure Canadian kind.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

PT6A posted:

Theoretically, at least, the trucker protest was about vaccination mandates to cross the borders.

Which was a U.S. policy, best addressed by plaintive letters to Joe Biden.

A bunch of randos proclaiming that they were willing to meet with the governor general so she could dismiss the government and install them in its place had nothing to do with protest and everything to do with seeing if you could perpetrate a coup by clogging up traffic in Ottawa and harassing the local populace.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
If they had just held out for another month it might have worked

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
The trucker protest was the most effective protest I’ve seen in my lifetime. We’re living in the world the truckers wanted. Masks, mandates, and public health measures are nowhere to be found. More importantly, government would never dare bring them back for anything to do with COVID, and a strong public health response to any new is probably crippled for a generation.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The organization for the trucker protest long predated the things they were allegedly protesting, and their more banal demands being confused for success here, like the absence of masks or an open American border, were things that were always going to happen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They got Sloly fired.

Well, Sloly got Sloly fired, but still.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

flakeloaf posted:

The organization for the trucker protest long predated the things they were allegedly protesting, and their more banal demands being confused for success here, like the absence of masks or an open American border, were things that were always going to happen.

Yes and yes

That organization was Yellow Vests / PEDIGA / Sons of Odin. A bunch of loving racists and fascists. You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

IDK, there were some important lessons for leftist organizers. Like, get the police to provide material aid and support and let you do whatever you want while you escalate the situation for literally weeks.

I can't believe no one thought of that before.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, it really helps when the police are on your side from the get go.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Was it ever confirmed that members of JTF-2 were there supplying "strategic advice" or whatever? ( to the convoy )

That always seemed unbelievable but I have some dusty memory of there being a story in the press about it afterwards.

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 28, 2023

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

funny song about politics posted:

The trucker protest was the most effective protest I’ve seen in my lifetime. We’re living in the world the truckers wanted. Masks, mandates, and public health measures are nowhere to be found. More importantly, government would never dare bring them back for anything to do with COVID, and a strong public health response to any new is probably crippled for a generation.

This was going to happen regardless, nobody wanted restrictions.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wanted restrictions :(

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

I wanted restrictions :(

kinky

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

This was going to happen regardless, nobody wanted restrictions.

People actually did, and politicians and policy makers perceived this. It’s why the level of restrictions varied across countries/states/provinces according to their political climates.

Canadian governments did public opinion research obsessively during COVID and their perception of what people would tolerate, and what people wanted, had a huge amount to do with what they tried to implement. Vaccine mandates, for example, were widely supported, if not demanded by the public, at least for a time. So even governments that swore against them ended up using them.

No one in power wants the embarrassment of pulling a lever and finding out it’s not connected to anything, or worse that it spurs a public backlash. That’s the current state of public health thinking now, and I would argue that the trucker protest was a big part of what got us here.

This isn’t the same as saying the truckers single-handedly ended restrictions. I do think those were on the way out no matter what. But as I said, the more important point is that public health is thoroughly spooked and operating from a defensive posture even in domains that have nothing to do with the pandemic. Not good!

funny song about politics fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Another Bill posted:

Was it ever confirmed that members of JTF-2 were there supplying "strategic advice" or whatever? ( to the convoy )

That always seemed unbelievable but I have some dusty memory of there being a story in the press about it afterwards.
I don’t know about JTF-2 but I remember reading that the military was investigating reports that active military personally were in the convoy and also giving them information. There were also reports that members of Canadian “security and intelligence organizations” were actively involved with and aiding the convoys.

Those stories all seemed to die off so I can only assume that they were true.