Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Dip Viscous posted:

I gave up on finding mobile games that a) are actual games instead of numbers going up and b) let me actually play them and installed a Game Boy emulator instead. Currently working my way through Mole Mania.

Retro Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Biplane posted:

How could libraries do this to us

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

retro bowl rules

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

wash bucket posted:

I will gladly be that weirdo who hoards physical media and insists on using open source software and 10 year old versions of Photoshop.
No, despite having two newer laptops I don't still use my 2006 MacBook running Snow Leopard because it's got Creative Suite 3 on it, not at all. [Looks around shiftily.]

(I also have several hundred DVDs and BRs and a shitload of old games going back to the Game Boy era.)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This cartoon drives me up the wall every time I see it

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

I gave up on finding mobile games that a) are actual games instead of numbers going up and b) let me actually play them and installed a Game Boy emulator instead. Currently working my way through Mole Mania.

I did the same thing, the first few generations of pokemon games and the mega man battle network series are perfect, anything requiring precise platforming is a little dicey on a touchscreen. Then I bought Bloons TD6 for a single dollar and put probably 200+ hours into it...

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There are a lot of good board game implementations that can be single or multiplayer at least, but yeah I won't even look at a game or app unless it's possible to do a one-time purchase to remove ads and enable the full feature set I care about

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Plex was giving me the business last night so I crammed an HDMI cable into my laptop and finished my movie on a sketchy streaming site. Still preferable to the smart tv/streaming experience. Speaking of which, I babysat for a neighbor last night and have two specific bones to pick vis a vis streaming services.

HBO/Max/Whatever this year's branding is: did you fuckers seriously have the audacity to hardcode ads into your actual video files? Like did you seriously weld garbage-rear end advertisements for your lovely superhero IPs to the front of every TV show I want to watch? gently caress you with a pineapple.

Oh no this is called server side ad insertion and they inject the ad directly into the stream.

wash bucket posted:

If we lived in a bizarro timeline where someone didn't think of the discs-by-mail model until 2023 they would be burning custom discs with commercials in them and the skip/ff feature disabled.

I can remember ads on VHS tapes as early at the 80s and they were getting pretty crazy with it sometimes at the end of the DVD era. If you had a compliant DVD player it wouldn’t let you skip them either.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I mentioned that Albrae town hall meeting to a couple homeowning friends today, spent the next hour hearing lectures that began with "I'm not racist, but..."

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Internet Old One posted:

Oh no this is called server side ad insertion and they inject the ad directly into the stream.

I can remember ads on VHS tapes as early at the 80s and they were getting pretty crazy with it sometimes at the end of the DVD era. If you had a compliant DVD player it wouldn’t let you skip them either.

Core memory unlocked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Bu51Bwdwo

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

Internet Old One posted:

I vaguely remember some absolutely psychotic DVD rental company trying something kinda like this...their angle was DVDs that would begin to decay really fast after you exposed them to oxygen, so you could only watch them for about a week before they became completely useless and take advantage of advertisements to offset costs.

But hey at least you didn't have to return the tape!

Needless to say, they failed (and loving deserved to.)

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Those were Flexplay DVDs - once they turn black, they’re unplayable coasters.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Internet Old One posted:

*DVD loads to pre-menu adroll*

*hit Stop, Stop, Play, DVD goes directly to movie*

HACK THE PLANET

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Blue Moonlight posted:

Those were Flexplay DVDs - once they turn black, they’re unplayable coasters.

Lol Flexplay and the original DIVX, DVD rental solutions so bad that the former was described in a test market as, "not the kind of product our customers are looking for," and the latter killed Circuit City dead.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Internet Old One posted:

*pops The Land Before Time and afterward Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles into the VCR*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4065smJLXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIPUCPMd_nA

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

MrQwerty posted:

Lol Flexplay and the original DIVX, DVD rental solutions so bad that the former was described in a test market as, "not the kind of product our customers are looking for," and the latter killed Circuit City dead.

Hahahah, I had forgotten about DIVX, which is even worse than Flexplay since it required a special DVD player and a dialup connection for authentication.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Holidays.

I haven’t had a holiday for a billion years, I’ve suffered an arm injury so took time off after my workman’s injury payments stopped. On day two I’ve caught a cold (probably from all the people I hadn’t been seeing as I stayed home for a week sore) and I’m just sick enough to make everything miserable and unenjoyable. So I’m burning through my holiday here on the couch and I can’t even enjoy lovely movies or books, but I sure can sit here cold bored and uncomfortable.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

You Are A Elf posted:

*pops The Land Before Time and afterward Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles into the VCR*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4065smJLXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIPUCPMd_nA

tim & eric bit

naem
May 29, 2011

Internet Old One posted:

I had a vhs copy of Starwars and every tape had a half hour interview with george lucas and leonard maltin. it was the same interview all three tapes

e: oh god this is it https://youtu.be/B-LvSbsEDI4?si=fQ-QEdqaP9CI8EjP

if there is one thing kids want before their space movies it’s a half hour of two bearded dads talking about money that you have to fast forward through until the tape gets all grainy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol I remember when they had the gold and silver box set releases of Star Wars that came with George Lucas interviews. Even as kids my friends and I picked up on the fact that when talking about positive aspects of the film he always took credit and when talking about negative he always said stuff like “… but they couldn’t do it…”

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Speaking of lovely streaming and movies, I hate that the Comedy genre tag is so useless these days. Almost every movie has the comedy tag in it now because there is at least one character in every movie delivering quipy jokes, Like Netflix has the Fast and Furious movies tagged as comedy, which while they are hilariously dumb they weren't made as comedy movies, Army of the Dead is tagged under comedy as well. I just wanna see actual comedy movies not literally every movie made since 2010 that has a few jokes in it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I feel like there's also some sort of pressure to label films as comedy under flimsiest pretenses because the audiences are unable to handle anything that might be serious, so there's a desperate need to convince them "it's not all gloomy and boring, there are some laughs too!" From recently, I watched the movie Babyteeth, which was billed as a coming of age comedy, in reality it was probably the most depressing movie I've seen in like five years.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Related to all this, I hate how every moment of tension has to be undercut by the comedy relief character getting a quip in. God forbid the audience experience a negative emotion for more than 5 seconds without someone jumping in to go "well THAT just happened!" or "awwwwkward."

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Well here's my theory (which is mine), the Hangover films are not comedies. :colbert: Yes they're made as a fun romp, a crazy adventure, a whimsical ribaldry, but there's not much there in the way of actual comedy.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

is pepsi ok posted:

Related to all this, I hate how every moment of tension has to be undercut by the comedy relief character getting a quip in. God forbid the audience experience a negative emotion for more than 5 seconds without someone jumping in to go "well THAT just happened!" or "awwwwkward."

Joss Whedon was a disaster on movie dialogue.

naem
May 29, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Joss Whedon was a disaster on movie dialogue.

Buffy was a very fun show where quippy worked because the cast were so great

Ironman 1 and avengers 1 were good because RDJ could quip

everything since has been a nightmare

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

naem posted:

I didn't have any expectations for The Flash but that entire movie would be significantly better without a word of dialogue.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

steinrokkan posted:

I feel like there's also some sort of pressure to label films as comedy under flimsiest pretenses because the audiences are unable to handle anything that might be serious, so there's a desperate need to convince them "it's not all gloomy and boring, there are some laughs too!"

I remember our family renting “Stepmom” from the comedy section of our video store. The box called it “entertaining” and “hilarious” and “funny.” At worst, you think “OK, maybe some light 90s family heartstring tugging.” Like, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNUu1d7i26g

In reality it’s a drama about a terminally ill mother coming to terms with the woman who will ultimately raise her children. Kudos to the marketing team to hiding the twist, I guess.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Bridge to Terabithia

This movie will be just like Jumanji right

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Click is definitely a comedy, but the emotional whiplash they put you through and then cap it off with "sike, it was all a dream!" didn't really work so we all walked out of that theater feeling pretty sad.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Comic relief is fine but it’s not being done well as mentioned (stupid whedon quips, breakneck pacing )

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Patton Oswalt talks about how a lot of his work is to come into a project at the very end and record lines that are played from off screen to salvage footage that just doesn't work.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tenkaris posted:

Click is definitely a comedy, but the emotional whiplash they put you through and then cap it off with "sike, it was all a dream!" didn't really work so we all walked out of that theater feeling pretty sad.

That movie made me cry lmao

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Armacham posted:

Bridge to Terabithia

This movie will be just like Jumanji right

Still.the most deceptive movie marketing so far

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kindle, or Amazon I guess, changed the cover of my e-book of Dune to just pictures of the cast from the latest movie. "Now a motion picture!" Etc. gently caress you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Kangaroo Jack would like a word with you.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Kindle, or Amazon I guess, changed the cover of my e-book of Dune to just pictures of the cast from the latest movie. "Now a motion picture!" Etc. gently caress you.

lol. I remember that being a thing with new editions back when books were made of dead trees but it's kinda messed up they can do that to an ebooks you've already bought. Though I remember buying music on iTunes and having the album art randomly switch up after the fact.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Random tangent: I remember all the movie posters and trailers for the movie Groundhog Day focusing on that one scene where Bill Murray was driving a car with an animatronic groundhog sitting in his lap. Made it seem like a silly comedy in the vein of Caddyshack where he was chasing that gopher.

Well imagine my surprise when I finally watched Groundhog Day decades later and it was a much more thoughtful movie than I expected. The groundhog puppet was like 10 seconds of the movie.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 29, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

Buffy was a very fun show where quippy worked because the cast were so great

Ironman 1 and avengers 1 were good because RDJ could quip

I agree with this take.

Avengers works. It's all Whedon.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
YouTube music randomly replaces my playlist songs with other versions of the song. Sometimes it's the clean version, remixes, live versions, or even covers. With some genres that I find a song I like but I'm not too familiar with (mainly electronic), the song is just lost to me forever. There's a rap song that sampled Monster by Meg and Dia that I am positive I'll never find again. Google replaced it with a dubstep song. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

Comic relief is fine but it’s not being done well as mentioned (stupid whedon quips, breakneck pacing )

Yeah it's this, even the most pretentious dramas have phenomenal moments of comedy. The issue is when studios insist on adding the laziest bullshit imaginable because that's what passes focus testing, and that's what audiences have been preconditioned to laugh at.