Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

bull3964 posted:

I don't really fault Netflix for that. Getting integrated into the TV app means handing over a lot of viewing habit data to Apple and why in the ever-loving gently caress would you want to do that with a competitor? It also keeps people out of the app more so discoverability takes a hit.

netflix concerned about discoverability? i have to scroll at least 6 rows to see the new releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I don't really fault Netflix for that. Getting integrated into the TV app means handing over a lot of viewing habit data to Apple and why in the ever-loving gently caress would you want to do that with a competitor? It also keeps people out of the app more so discoverability takes a hit.

Their app sucks, their 4k quality sucks, their content sucks - it was easy to justify cancelling their service last year when we realized the only thing we were watching on it were Great British Bake Off.

I'll re-subscribe for Sandman season 2 and cancel after I binge it.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 27, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Corb3t posted:

May I recommend buying the two audiobooks from audible (5 minute sample on the product page).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

May I recommend buying the two audiobooks from audible (5 minute sample on the product page).

I've heard good things, I'll check it out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Corb3t posted:

Their app sucks, their 4k quality sucks, their content sucks - it was easy to justify cancelling their service last year when we realized the only thing we were watching on it were Great British Bake Off.

I mean, that's fine if you feel that way, but that doesn't really change anything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Corb3t posted:

Their app sucks, their 4k quality sucks,

What's your Internet speed and what reference video are you using

I've never had any image quality issues but I've been on gigabit until very recently

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I mean, that's fine if you feel that way, but that doesn't really change anything.

Does Netflix purposely leave their content off of Google search because Google has access to click thru analytics? Of course not, so why are you bootlicking for Netflix and their anti-user friendly bullshit like leaving their content off of AppleTV's global TV app? They don't do it on Google TV.

It certainly changed things in our shared family household - we cancelled Netflix and just pirate all their content instead.

Hadlock posted:

What's your Internet speed and what reference video are you using

I've never had any image quality issues but I've been on gigabit until very recently

Netflix's 4K bitrate is the lowest of all the streaming services

They're also the only streaming service left charging extra for 4K, and they've cut the 4K bitrate in half.

Their 4K TV shows are only 8 mbps bitrate.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 28, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dunno if it’s changed, but Netflix’s 4K always had this weird blue cast to it in dark scenes for me. Looked awful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Corb3t posted:

Does Netflix purposely leave their content off of Google search because Google has access to click thru analytics? Of course not, so why are you bootlicking for Netflix and their anti-user friendly bullshit like leaving their content off of AppleTV's global TV app? They don't do it on Google TV.

Google doesn't make content.

Apple does. That's the distinction.

Apple also has bottomless pockets. Netflix and Apple are completing for the same projects to develop. Apple can very easily (and probably already has) outbid their competitors on new projects, so the less information they have on their competitors needs, they less they are able to do that.

It's not bootlicking to point out the very real business reason why one company doesn't want to hand a competitor their user analytics.

Corb3t posted:

They're also the only streaming service left charging extra for 4K, and they've cut the 4K bitrate in half.

MAX and Paramount+ both charge extra for 4k as it is only available on the upper tiers of service.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 28, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Apple also has bottomless pockets. Netflix and Apple are completing for the same projects to develop. Apple can very easily (and probably already has) outbid their competitors on new projects, so the less information they have on their competitors needs, they less they are able to do that.

It's not bootlicking to point out the very real business reason why one company doesn't want to hand a competitor their user analytics.

MAX and Paramount+ both charge extra for 4k as it is only available on the upper tiers of service.

Roku makes content and Netflix doesn't withhold features from Roku devices.

Same with Amazon and their Fire TVs.

Apple already has the analytics - users on their devices are searching for Netflix content and they surely have all the analytics associated with those search queries whether or not Netflix consents to it. At the end of the day, it's a bad business decision that hurts consumers.

Apple isn't bidding on lovely reality shows or whatever, which seems to be Netflix's priority nowadays, so why should they even care?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Aug 28, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Corb3t posted:

Apple already has the analytics - users on their devices are searching for Netflix content and they surely have all the analytics associated with those search queries whether or not Netflix consents to it.

Searching where? Apple doesn't have a search engine and Apple's own privacy policy means that they can't harvest keyboard input.

Plus, that's not an important part of it anyways. There's more than someone showing passing interest for a show. Stuff like how many episodes someone watches in one sitting, how long they started something after it came out, did they complete the show. That's the stuff that measures engagement.

As far as anti-consumer, let me just fire-up the AppleTV app and watch the content I've subscribed to on my Android phon....oh.

Corb3t posted:

Apple isn't bidding on lovely reality shows or whatever, which seems to be Netflix's priority nowadays, so why should they even care?

Look, we get it, you don't like netflix. So why do you even care? Go ahead and watch See or Invasion on AppleTV+ and bath in the quality content.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

As far as anti-consumer, let me just fire-up the AppleTV app and watch the content I've subscribed to on my Android phon....oh.

Look, we get it, you don't like netflix. So why do you even care? Go ahead and watch See or Invasion on AppleTV+ and bath in the quality content.

I just think it's really silly when somebody tries to justify bad business decisions. Now explain away Spotify's lack of lossless audio while everybody else has it for free.

Nothing stopping you from streaming it from Chrome.

Ted Lasso, Strange Planet, Platonic, Shrinking, Silo, Severance, Foundation... all great shows...

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 28, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does apple really restrict their content to apple only devices? That feels very 2012

I will check bandwitdh usage on my tv using netlfix here. That article dates back to octover 2020 which is.... like perhaps peak netlix usage for all of humanity. Summer had just ended, I forget if the delta wave was peaking then but that's when it starts getting dark outside and tv usage goes way up

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Does apple really restrict their content to apple only devices? That feels very 2012

No, they have an AppleTV+ app on all the steaming boxes, including Google TV, they just haven't released an app on Android phones yet. They have Apple Music on all the other platforms, though.

You can also stream AppleTV+ content from any browser on any device if you really wanted to.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 28, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Corb3t posted:

Nothing stopping you from streaming it from Chrome.

There's no offline viewing on chrome. The quality is also terrible.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bull3964 posted:

At one point YouTube went balls deep on the whole content creation thing. They're physically distinct from Google still but though like, 2017 or 18 they definitely had funding to go find their own game of thrones or friends sitcom thing

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hadlock posted:

At one point YouTube went balls deep on the whole content creation thing. They're physically distinct from Google still but though like, 2017 or 18 they definitely had funding to go find their own game of thrones or friends sitcom thing

The guy clearly works for Netflix or something, I'm sure he'll come up with an excuse why Google owning YouTube (and YouTube TV) is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than Apple competing with Netflix. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, Roku has their own streaming services and hardware. Amazon as well, and every other streaming service's app doesn't have an issue integrating with the TV app (except YouTube's horribly optimized and buggy iOS/TV apps, which is a discussion for another day), and that's what makes it a bad decision on Netflix's part and deserving of criticism, along with the bad video quality, cancelling shows after 3 seasons, and charging more for subpar 4k.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 28, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Corb3t posted:

The guy clearly works for Netflix or something, I'm sure he'll come up with an excuse why YouTube is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than Apple competing with Netflix. :rolleyes:

Pfft, you clearly work for Amazon's Prime video division trying to throw everyone off your scent.

All of these companies are anti-consumer because that's how they make money. You clearly have an axe to gride with netflix for whatever reason. That's fine, you voted with your dollars so cool. I don't really see it as much of an inconvenience since you have your continue watching list in the upper carousel anyways when you are on the Netflix tile the same as when you are on the AppleTV tile. I don't go into the AppleTV app anymore much anyways since they changed up the top 2/3rd of the screen to be ads, I pick the up next from the home screen unless I have to go in and prune yet another episode of something I fully watched but the TV app thinks I stopped halfway through.

I'm mostly just amused of the whole Netflix v Apple thing about who's more anti-consumer since that's like a Star Wars v Star Trek level debate.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
All I want is for Netflix stuff to show up in the recently watched list on the Apple TV app. I didn't mean to start a slap fight here.

And I'm still mad at Netflix for not doing this regardless of who's to blame. My garbage shitass Directv stream shows will show up on the list but still no Netflix without opening the app and scrolling 5-10 rows to continue watching or see new releases. I really need to cancel because aside from Beef it's been all garbage (and I'm including recent Stranger Things as garbage).

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

My AndroidTV-running projector doesn’t even have the Netflix app due to some pettiness on Netflix’s part, I have to run that through my PS5

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Corb3t posted:

Now explain away Spotify's lack of lossless audio while everybody else has it for free.

My buddy put it best, "the world is loving junk". For real though, what percentage of spotify users care about this? 1%? 0.1%? Less? You got people out there who think they are king poo poo with Beats headphones and Sonos speakers.

My TCL Roku TV has started exhibiting cool behavior. If it goes to screensaver sometimes, I'm getting an ad...for a Roku box? And it seems to make it lose its place in whatever app it was in, so thats cool. If I was buying an external device, it would have to be chromecast or whatever they are calling it now strictly for the namesake feature. There are still too many things with no native apps on any of the platforms, so that casting ability is absolutely necessary.

jaadee
May 3, 2013
Thinking about throwing down $2250 on a refurb 77" LG C3 from BuyDig's Ebay store. Have a B8 and just missed out on eARC by a model year which really complicates my audio setup. Also would be moving from a 65" to a 77".

The thing comes with a 2-year Allstate warranty which looks fine. Are there any snafus I'm missing with buying a refurb oled TV, or with buying off Ebay, albeit from a seller than has an actual online presence? I recognize there won't be any burnin coverage but that's the case for every warranty except Best Buy's extended warranty as far as I know. I also have had zero burnin issues with the B8.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

jaadee posted:

Thinking about throwing down $2250 on a refurb 77" LG C3 from BuyDig's Ebay store. Have a B8 and just missed out on eARC by a model year which really complicates my audio setup. Also would be moving from a 65" to a 77".

The thing comes with a 2-year Allstate warranty which looks fine. Are there any snafus I'm missing with buying a refurb oled TV, or with buying off Ebay, albeit from a seller than has an actual online presence? I recognize there won't be any burnin coverage but that's the case for every warranty except Best Buy's extended warranty as far as I know. I also have had zero burnin issues with the B8.

Sounds fine. Given the fact that you’re buying a C3 it’s not like the tv has been out that long, so the usage time on it is probably minimal.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

codo27 posted:

My buddy put it best, "the world is loving junk". For real though, what percentage of spotify users care about this? 1%? 0.1%? Less? You got people out there who think they are king poo poo with Beats headphones and Sonos speakers.

The issue is two-fold - Spotify is missing both Lossless and Atmos-mastered audio, and you can use
any pair of headphones to listen to Atmos mastered music.

Sonos speakers and soundbars are incredibly popular, and with their new spatial speakers, it's an even bigger issue with Spotify nowadays :colbert:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 29, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

for the LG oled, if I wanted to do a dumb tv I could also just put video files on a usb and plug them in the back right? vs. airplay which requires an internet connection

edit: I still think those tv sizes based on distance recommendations are kind of insane. this would be 48" (ignoring the stand)

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 29, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Big TVs seem insane because they become such a focal point in your living space, but when you think about how close you sit in front of a monitor or how big a move theater's screen is and how much of your peripheral vision they fill up, it kinda makes sense that they'd recommend 65"+ TVs.

Pricing-wise — 65" is the sweet spot nowadays as well - anything larger and you're paying a premium, and anything smaller only saves you a few hundreds dollars, which isn't much over the lifespan of the TV. Even this is changing, though - the 77" OLEDs have gotten down to $1600 at Costco recently.

How many people look back at a TV purchase and think, "I should have gotten a smaller TV"?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 29, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

for me it's also about how much attention I want drawn to it. i have other areas of my space I really like to highlight.

this is 65" which seems completely insane for the space

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Looks reasonable to me. The only times I'm distracted by a big TV in someone's living room is when it's teetering on top of a much too small TV stand.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Looks reasonable to me. The only times I'm distracted by a big TV in someone's living room is when it's teetering on top of a much too small TV stand.

Or mounted too high

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our media console/tv stand is a similar size/style and I definitely wouldn't pair it with anything smaller than 65". Our current tv is 65" and we're definitely replacing it with a 85/88" device after ~7 years

TV size advice is very similar to that of breast implants; one) you can't upgrade for a long time, and two) you almost always wish you'd gone a size bigger, after

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 29, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Our media console/tv stand is a similar size/style and I definitely wouldn't pair it with anything smaller than 65". Our current tv is 65" and we're definitely replacing it with a 85/88" device after ~7 years

TV size advice is very similar to that of breast implants; one) you can't upgrade for a long time, and two) you almost always wish you'd gone a size bigger, after

how wide is your console?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It is 67" (5.58') according to their product page for it

Also conincidentally west elm has this on the same page, which I largely agree with

I think you can go up a size if you wall mount it (which we do)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I would just be using the stand, but I also like to have other stuff on the console which a ginormous tv wouldn't leave room for.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you wall mount it, that can give you a 6-8" gap to place knick nacks underneath it. I don't know where your mother in laws tongue plant is gonna live though

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

wash bucket posted:

It me! It worked much better with a 55"

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So I've had my Samsung S92c 55 for a few days now, my first oled, and I'm super impressed. 4k hdr stuff obviously looks incredible (used lord of the rings on prime as a benchmark), but even bog standard HD content on TV looks so much better than it did on my old mid range 4k TV.

Gaming, though... Holy moly. Playstation 5 stuff is just amazing. Playing Forbidden West or Gran Turismo 5 feels like I've got a pretty substantial console upgrade, I love it.

My only criticism really is that the OS is needlessly complicated - like genuinely difficult to access any media which isn't Prime, Netflix or Disney, especially for people like my in laws or my wife who aren't nerds like me.

Still, given I somehow managed to get it new off ebay for £980, I really can't complain at all.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That Simpsons shot reminds me of one of my buddies who was the first to have a flat screen, a Toshiba he later destroyed by throwing a controller through it. But he'd watch Family Guy all the time and I remember the first time seeing it, how amazing the colors looked.

Like seeing hockey in HD for the first time, I dont think I've really been wowed by a TV since. I dont have cable and you cant stream in 4K yet, but a friend of mine just got a new midrange Sony and I keep bugging him to call the cable company and get his STB upgraded but he never remembers/doesn't care nearly as much as I do.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

codo27 posted:

That Simpsons shot reminds me of one of my buddies who was the first to have a flat screen, a Toshiba he later destroyed by throwing a controller through it. But he'd watch Family Guy all the time and I remember the first time seeing it, how amazing the colors looked.

Like seeing hockey in HD for the first time, I dont think I've really been wowed by a TV since. I dont have cable and you cant stream in 4K yet, but a friend of mine just got a new midrange Sony and I keep bugging him to call the cable company and get his STB upgraded but he never remembers/doesn't care nearly as much as I do.

I remember seeing HD for the first time WAY back in the early or mid 90s. I was at The Masters and they had some experimental cameras on site running to a few monitors in the pro shop area that the crowd could gather around and watch (it was definitely a tech expo like thing, there were signs by each monitor explaining the technology). Everyone was just straight blown away.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hell I remember when just having a flat screen tv was impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I need to find more 90s concerts shot on HD video in Japan, because I love this Mariah one that looks like it was shot yesterday (except for how Mariah looks, naturally).

https://youtu.be/M-Eym1RBjdA?si=lBD5ajXg-8bAVcl1