Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Crazypoops posted:

This is terrifying and absolutely gorgeous.

If you are going to skydive, at least pick someplace cool. I did a drop in Moab, Utah. I'll never do it again, but it was pretty sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Then you can build the Pyramids that act as a granary in every city.

Sure, but its really for the two free workers.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I never knew how they made electrical insulators, but I didn't picture this:

https://i.imgur.com/d1VVAWu.mp4

artisan, cottage-industry insulators.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It may not be porcelain, I thought the clay body for porcelain is usually white or gray, not brownish.

I have no idea what properties you need for high voltage insulation though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Eeyo posted:

It may not be porcelain, I thought the clay body for porcelain is usually white or gray, not brownish.

I think for just about any electrical insulation, you need the material to not conduct electricity.
But I'm not a electric Ian.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

zedprime posted:

Its a very typical public perception that ceramic is such a crazy unimaginably utilitarian space age material made by magic even though its just very carefully formulated mud put through a very exact oven.

:psyduck: Typical amongst whom? Idiots? Because that would mean that you're stating most of the public is idiots---

ah right checks out carry on

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Eeyo posted:

the older insulators in the substations i work in are brown porcelain, the newer insulators are gray. :shrug:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Phanatic posted:

https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/event-status/event/2023/20230823en.html#en56681

The specific activity of pure Th-232 is 110,000 pCi/g, so that's some pretty spicy paint they mixed up. No word on why, though.

Do you think they were trying to get glowing walls, or are they one of those dumbasses that thinks there's a magically healthy amount of radiation exposure

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

More likely it could be the “negative ion” thing again. A while back there was a bunch of bracelets and poo poo made with thorium powder, because it produces ions from radioactive decay.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Do you think they were trying to get glowing walls, or are they one of those dumbasses that thinks there's a magically healthy amount of radiation exposure

DIY mold treatment?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Eeyo posted:

More likely it could be the “negative ion” thing again. A while back there was a bunch of bracelets and poo poo made with thorium powder, because it produces ions from radioactive decay.

Nobody tell them about the positive ions

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The reason glass and porcelain are the most common insulator is that those were the cheapest insulating materials available until most recent plastic insulators with excellent insulating properties became widespread. Most newer construction uses insulating plastics insulators.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

artisan, cottage-industry insulators.

these absolutely would be fine in a system that isn't stupendously high amperage. A lot of poorer electrical construction goes one of two ways - either you have an absurdly high voltage electrical circuit (eg I've heard of Mexican distribution circuits running at 51 Kv) so that you can cover essentially the entire town with just one circuit with very little expensive hard ware or you have tiny little 4 or less Kv circuits that cover part of the neighborhood. Neither is very safe or efficient, but both are the cheapest solutions to the same problem, especially in environments where there isn't a ton of government oversight. In America, it's generally uncommon to find circuits running either of these two extreme but you'll find them if you look for them, electrical hardware is relatively age-resistant and you can find loving ancient circuits that were the first things they ever put up because it just never made sense to replace them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A Festivus Miracle posted:

The reason glass and porcelain are the most common insulator is that those were the cheapest insulating materials available until most recent plastic insulators with excellent insulating properties became widespread. Most newer construction uses insulating plastics insulators.

They also don't break down from time and UV, so over time other insulators have been replaced and glass/ceramic ones haven't so stochastics means most of the ones in-use are vitreous.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

That's a strange way of carving Kebab.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Issaries posted:

Very efficient though!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Most newer construction uses insulating plastics insulators.

That’s good.

I wouldn’t want them to use conducting plastics insulators.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Not all ceramics are clay, but all clay are ceramics.

Modern ceramics are stuff like chemically bonded oxides and things to form heat resistant bricks and tiles, which is what people tens to think of when they hear ceramics.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Issaries posted:

:actually: Shwarma

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

these absolutely would be fine in a system that isn't stupendously high amperage. A lot of poorer electrical construction goes one of two ways - either you have an absurdly high voltage electrical circuit (eg I've heard of Mexican distribution circuits running at 51 Kv) so that you can cover essentially the entire town with just one circuit with very little expensive hard ware or you have tiny little 4 or less Kv circuits that cover part of the neighborhood. Neither is very safe or efficient, but both are the cheapest solutions to the same problem, especially in environments where there isn't a ton of government oversight. In America, it's generally uncommon to find circuits running either of these two extreme but you'll find them if you look for them, electrical hardware is relatively age-resistant and you can find loving ancient circuits that were the first things they ever put up because it just never made sense to replace them.

The New Orleans water department has to run its own power plant because the ancient 120 year old stormwater pumps only work on 25hz

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

Modern ceramics are stuff like chemically bonded oxides

Isn't clay essentially also chemically bonded oxides? Or do you mean to contrast chemical bonding with fired clay.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Drone_Fragger posted:

Not all ceramics are clay, but all clay are ceramics.

Modern ceramics are stuff like chemically bonded oxides and things to form heat resistant bricks and tiles, which is what people tens to think of when they hear ceramics.

Modern ceramics are custom mixed to achieve the ideal mixture of elements heated to a precise temperature for bonding. Classic ceramic involve digging clay from the riverbank and some fire. Both produce a very hard, weather resistant insulator. Consistency from batch to batch is better with the first process.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just like nuclear power is really just a fancy water boiler, space age ceramic is just baked clay. Fun fact: the pottery wheel predates the wheel used for transportation.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's honestly really neat just how much of everything is basically just cooking up specially prepared rocks. Glass, buildings, circuit boards, roads, bridges, and all kinds of other stuff

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sentient Data posted:

It's honestly really neat just how much of everything is basically just cooking up specially prepared rocks. Glass, buildings, circuit boards, roads, bridges, and all kinds of other stuff

Spicy rocks for boiling water, too.

It's kindof like the "if the only tool you have is a hammer everything is a nail" except our only tool is rocks.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Don't forget crack cocaine!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

The New Orleans water department has to run its own power plant because the ancient 120 year old stormwater pumps only work on 25hz

Which is an interesting story in and of itself-- 25hz was likely chosen because the installation was happening around the same time as Niagara Falls power plants were being constructed-- and they needed that frequency there to optimize for DC conversion at the local level, so when NO needed large-scale generation, that was the current standard, itself a compromise between an already predetermined turbine speed and distribution needs

IEEE article: 25-Hz at Niagara Falls

quote:

The first three turbines for the powerhouse were rated at 5,000 hp each and had been designed to operate at a speed of 250 rev/min. Thus, the ac generator frequency would be limited to multiples of 8-1/3 Hz (such as 16-2/3 Hz, 25 Hz, 33-1/3 Hz, and 41-2/3 Hz)

Westinghouse refused to guarantee the operation of such huge generators for a frequency less than 30 Hz. That frequency had been used at the Colombian Exposition, and it was exactly one-half the 60-Hz frequency chosen by Westinghouse for general ac lighting use. This two-to-one relationship would simplify the design of rotating machines (frequency changers) operating between these two frequencies. However, 30 Hz could not be generated at a speed of 250 rev/min. The General Electric Company had recommended the use of 41-2/3 Hz and, eventually, a compromise of 25-Hz was finally selected.

One additional reason for the selection of 25-Hz generation at Niagara was the intended use of this power for conversion to dc. During this era, the most efficient means for accomplishing this was by the use of rotary converters, and early rotary converters did not function well if designed for frequencies as high as 60 Hz

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

madeintaipei posted:

Don't forget crack cocaine!
Crack isn't a naturally occuring mineral on earth at this time but there's enough evidence for amine synthesis in comets that I'm willing to acknowledge the possibility of a naturally occuring giant crack rock flying through space.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
And heat from air friction in the atmosphere to vaporize it... Hmm, maybe that's the real reason the dinosaurs went extinct

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Sentient Data posted:

And heat from air friction in the atmosphere to vaporize it... Hmm, maybe that's the real reason the dinosaurs went extinct

Further evidence that the CIA has access to time travel.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

zedprime posted:

Crack isn't a naturally occuring mineral on earth at this time but there's enough evidence for amine synthesis in comets that I'm willing to acknowledge the possibility of a naturally occuring giant crack rock flying through space.

Somewhere Mike Pillow just got a random boner.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Beef posted:

Isn't clay essentially also chemically bonded oxides? Or do you mean to contrast chemical bonding with fired clay.

Harry_Potato posted:

Modern ceramics are custom mixed to achieve the ideal mixture of elements heated to a precise temperature for bonding. Classic ceramic involve digging clay from the riverbank and some fire. Both produce a very hard, weather resistant insulator. Consistency from batch to batch is better with the first process.

Firing temperature makes a difference too. Clay fired into stoneware (for example) is much different than porcelain, which is fired high enough to partially vitrify. Contrasting to products like Cerakote that fire/cure under relatively mundane temperatures.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You can get some pretty interesting (cool) nitrides going for ceramics too.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fun fact: the pottery wheel predates the wheel used for transportation.

I wonder if this is because of how easy it is to make something spin like a top, seems like it's a lot easier to accidentally figure out than an axle would be. Tho I wonder if "wheel" excludes "some logs we put underneath to help it move"

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Bananana posted:

Imagine a speed trial competition through the tunnel, using rally cars.

Man, that would be fun.

SAMIR YOU ARE BREAKING THE *smash*

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
that grandma almost died right?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Some Guy From NY posted:

the older insulators in the substations i work in are brown porcelain, the newer insulators are gray. :shrug:

There's probably a sciencey reason for that but as a professional earth sodomizer someone who drills holes in the ground for a living, clay comes in many colours.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/E0t636f.mp4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh, it's reversed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019